PDA

View Full Version : Argentina/Brazil - top tips

lyonhibs
14-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Dear .net travel experts,

Me and the missus have been invited to a wedding in Buenos Aires in October, and we are seriously considering a) going and b) obviously making more of a holiday of it than just going over for the wedding.

We'll only have - I think - max 2 weeks, so obviously scooting round the whole of Latin America isn't an option. I'd sooner do Argentina as properly as possible - with maybe a wee excursion to Montevideo which I understand can be done from Buenos Aires - than stretch ourselves and see nothing properly.

We won't have a car, so public transport/organised tours will be how we get around.

Anyone done anything similar, got tips/places to definitely see/avoid in Buenos Aires and Argentina in general?

All advice welcome.

Cheers in advance,

GGTTH

Viva_Palmeiras
15-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Me and the missus have been invited to a wedding in Buenos Aires in October, and we are seriously considering a) going and b) obviously making more of a holiday of it than just going over for the wedding.

We'll only have - I think - max 2 weeks, so obviously scooting round the whole of Latin America isn't an option. I'd sooner do Argentina as properly as possible - with maybe a wee excursion to Montevideo which I understand can be done from Buenos Aires - than stretch ourselves and see nothing properly.

We won't have a car, so public transport/organised tours will be how we get around.

Anyone done anything similar, got tips/places to definitely see/avoid in Buenos Aires and Argentina in general?

All advice welcome.

Cheers in advance,

GGTTH

foz de iguaçu - impressive water falls (larger than Niagra) with borders on Brazil, Paraguay and iirc Argentina.
Pantanal - more impressive than Amazon
The North east for amazing beaches (they will set the gold standard for beaches when the WC comes.
fortaleza
Macieo
Salvador (culturally mind blowing)

ive not been to Rio but its more visually stunning than São Paulo although Sampa culturally rich. If you go just follow local advice for security and you'll be fine but don't ponce around beaches at night wearing a decent watch. Be street wise and you'll be fine.

Parkie
24-05-2013, 09:47 PM

All advice welcome.

Cheers in advance,

GGTTH

First things first mate - GO! Argentina is a fantastic country and whatever you do you won't be disappointed. Def go to Iguazu falls - one of the few times where I've been literally speechless for a few minutes. Buenos Aires is fantastic - Recoletta, Boca, San Telmo. If you can afford it - a plane to see the Perito Moreno glacier would be another massive highlight. It would be a lot to fit in two weeks though (including the wedding) but memories of a lifetime. Website forums like the Thorntree in Lonely Planet will give you more of an idea or Lonely Planet's guide to Argentina which I used. If you want more thoughts then PM me. cheers.

The Green Goblin
28-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Iguacu has to be on your itinerary. It is easily the most movingly beautiful place I have ever been in my whole life. I recommend La Cantera Jungle Lodge (look it up) as an amazing hotel to stay in. You get taxis from there to the National Park. Buenos Aires is great to walk around in (just watch yourself at night and play safe; taxi home etc).

If you do head to/via Sao Paulo, give me a shout and I'll either catch you for a drink somewhere or send you suggestions for places. Good luck

Aaron
28-05-2013, 01:52 PM
I spent a week in Buenos Aires and a week in Uruguay. Preferred Buenos Aires and it was much cheaper than Uruguay. If I were to do it again I would maybe do Brazil rather than Uruguay.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Aaron
28-05-2013, 01:53 PM
<------my avatar is me in Boca Juniors stadium :-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta