PDA

View Full Version : Should we drop McPake?

spike220
10-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Should we drop McPake?
I think we need to find a new back 4 for the SC final. With time running out I think McPake is out of form and we need to have a rethink.

Is it time to drop McPake and give the youngsters a run?

Who should be a back 4 in the final?

MWHIBBIES
10-05-2013, 01:44 AM
Should we drop McPake?
I think we need to find a new back 4 for the SC final. With time running out I think McPake is out of form and we need to have a rethink.

Who should be a back 4 in the final?Giving a center back his debut in the Scottish cup final is probably the most risky thing possible. McPakes performance against Celtic at home only has to be remembered for it to be obvious that he is the right choice.

Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern

Hibercelona
10-05-2013, 01:48 AM
It's a difficult one.

Personally I feel he should have been dropped ages ago to allow another CB to get settled in.

On the one hand, we can play McPake and risk him not being anywhere near match fit, on the other hand, we could put somebody else in there who may just not be prepared for such a big game.

It'll be interesting to see if Pat will be willing to change things over the last few league games to give somebody else some game time.

PerfectlyFranck
10-05-2013, 02:02 AM
We've seen Daly make the transformation effectively for Dundee United, so...

Ladies & Gentlemen, I bring you...

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/shefki_kuqi_0068_web2.jpg

Shefki Kuqi

Centre-back, Sweeper and 'he was probably brought into help the youngsters' -er

Has anyone noticed how people just laughed when he played rather than yell the more familiar abuse.
I really wanted him to prove me wrong as he seems like an excellent chap in-person.

Like Kujabi, we seem to have accepted that they were hanging about until their contracts expire but I was desperate for them to prove us wrong more than most duds. i.e. Done.

lord bunberry
10-05-2013, 03:24 AM
We need to stick with clancy, mcpake, hanlon and mcgivern and hope they can get back to doing what they were doing earlier in the season. At this stage of the season it's probably to late to be trying out new combinations

Beefster
10-05-2013, 05:51 AM
Never mind dropping him, I think we should try to not destroy the confidence of our captain and guaranteed cup final starter any more. Might be a good idea before he leads the team out in the cup final.

lucky
10-05-2013, 05:59 AM
I'd play Stevenson and Marbury as the full back. Clancy has been awful since returning from injury and Mcgirven makes to many mistakes

lord bunberry
10-05-2013, 06:03 AM
I'd play Stevenson and Marbury as the full back. Clancy has been awful since returning from injury and Mcgirven makes to many mistakes

If mcgivern is fit he will play ahead of stevenson and clancy is a far better player than maybury imo.

marinello59
10-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Never mind dropping him, I think we should try to not destroy the confidence of our captain and guaranteed cup final starter any more. Might be a good idea before he leads the team out in the cup final.

Well said.

Holmesdale Hibs
10-05-2013, 06:11 AM
I'd consider resting him and others vs the ****bos but wouldn't drop him.

Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, McGirvin

LioNeilMessi
10-05-2013, 08:15 AM

You would think (on paper) that would be one of the most solid back 4s in the league, especially with Williams behind them :brickwall

I wouldn't drop McPake but he seriously needs a good game soon.

Stevie Reid
10-05-2013, 08:43 AM
We've seen Daly make the transformation effectively for Dundee United, so...

Ladies & Gentlemen, I bring you...

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/shefki_kuqi_0068_web2.jpg

Shefki Kuqi

Centre-back, Sweeper and 'he was probably brought into help the youngsters' -er

Has anyone noticed how people just laughed when he played rather than yell the more familiar abuse.
I really wanted him to prove me wrong as he seems like an excellent chap in-person.

Like Kujabi, we seem to have accepted that they were hanging about until their contracts expire but I was desperate for them to prove us wrong more than most duds. i.e. Done.

I'm not one for getting all hot and bothered when other teams sign players but if another SPL team had signing Kuqi I would have been genuinely disappointed that we hadn't picked up someone of his pedigree. I was chuffed when we signed him but it hasn't worked out.

Scouse Hibee
10-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Should we drop McPake?

I think we've passed the time when we can find a new back four for the cup final! I would much rather we protect what we have by resting players and get behind what is probably our strongest back four of McGivern, McPake, Hanlon and Clancy if all fit.

hibs4thecup1988
10-05-2013, 08:53 AM

Agreeed.

JimBHibees
10-05-2013, 08:59 AM

Spot on thought he does need to up his game IMO.

Personally dont see any changes to Clancy JMCP Hanlon and McGivern injuries aside.

NOLA
10-05-2013, 09:15 AM
If we drop him he might lose his match sharpness...

--------
10-05-2013, 09:18 AM

I don't know who Marbury and Mcgirven (McGirvin? Same guy or have we signed THREE new defenders?) but if we can get away with fielding Stevenson and Marbury (whoever he is) as one player, that would be really good.

I just hope Pot Flennon can spell the names of his players better than some of the fans, or we'll surely be done for fielding an unregistered team at Hampden ...

I understand that Jake is playing with an injury. MAYBE it would be sense to rest him for the final, except of course we do have a derby coming up (SUNDAY, in case we hadn't noticed), and it's kinda important that we don't lose our last three matches before the Final (I would say).

The main problem I see isn't in terms of personnel (do we really have anyone better?) but rather that we're back in our old bad habit of the back four dropping back to defend too deep.

hibee_girl
10-05-2013, 09:25 AM
It needed doing weeks ago, it's too late now to bring someone else in. Think we all just need to accept he'll be in the team and hope he can pull some good performances out the bag!

Brightside
10-05-2013, 09:28 AM
maybury, hanlon, mcgivern, stevenson. Play mcPake upfront!

Beefster
10-05-2013, 10:10 AM
It needed doing weeks ago, it's too late now to bring someone else in. Think we all just need to accept he'll be in the team and hope he can pull some good performances out the bag!

That's the spirit.

Stevie Reid
10-05-2013, 10:19 AM
I've been critical of McPake on here recently, but he hasn't been bad for a long time, he's just been a jaded character not performing at the level we expect - however, what is most concerning is that what was a plateau of average performances has become a gradual dip in form, which has really hit a low in the last couple of games. The timing couldn't be worse.

However, he is our captain and has walked the walk as well as talking the talk in the past - Sunday is a big day for him, given his recent form and what he has said re: Hearts in the past.

silverhibee
10-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Should we drop McPake?

No

We have to stick with him now.

Green Fish
10-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Our CAPTAIN will come good and do us proud. Let's get behind him and the team. I'm more worried about injuries to our players on Sunday.

jdships
10-05-2013, 12:40 PM

:agree:
That's it for me in the short term anyway !
However I would expect to see anew CB in place before the new season begins .
For me McPake has ' flattered to deceive ' - have never felt confident about him from the first game I saw him play

Judas Iscariot
10-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Our CAPTAIN will come good and do us proud. Let's get behind him and the team. I'm more worried about injuries to our players on Sunday.

Best post of the thread

Beefster
10-05-2013, 01:21 PM
For me McPake has ' flattered to deceive ' - have never felt confident about him from the first game I saw him play

If you're expecting McPake to be replaced next season, you're going to be disappointed.

yekimevol
10-05-2013, 06:45 PM
I don't think the first choice defense is the problem i.e. Clancy Mcpake Hanlon Mcgivern

The squad cant keep possession for longer than five seconds. This puts our back four under so much pressure and of course it is going to look worse than it is, conceding more goals than it should. if the other team have one chance on goal they can only score one goal, if they have ten chances they can score ten goals. Think i seen a possession table of the SPL the other day in which we were 11th. That is the true cause of the problem, to quote the old cliche "If we have the ball they can't score" .

West hamBERNIAN
10-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Giving a center back his debut in the Scottish cup final is probably the most risky thing possible. McPakes performance against Celtic at home only has to be remembered for it to be obvious that he is the right choice.

Clancy McPake Hanlon McGivern

Dont know what it is but he always seems to perform in big games. Draw at Celtic he was faultless win against Celtic assured. Hearts gAmes he always seems to cope fine. I bet he plays awesome against the sevco max and rank against killie.

West hamBERNIAN
10-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Yet I never seen a bad word against him last season. All of a sudden James is **** and I new it straight away. Nae bother pal.

West hamBERNIAN
10-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Yet I never seen a bad word against him last season. All of a sudden James is **** and I new it straight away. Nae bother pal.

Should have added quote maybe:rolleyes:

Speedy
10-05-2013, 07:59 PM

I don't think he's **** but he has always had a tendency to run out of position to challenge for a ball. Luckily he'd win a lot of them or make good last ditch challenges but there was always the potential to get us in trouble.

I do get your point though.

Pretty Boy
10-05-2013, 08:10 PM
He'll play in the final so i'll get behind him.

I feel a bit bad for him as he's obviously not right in some way but if he gives 100% in the final he's capable of being a perfectly ok centre back. Personally I think he has taken a lot of the 5-1 burden on his shoulders, which is to his credit, but is perhaps having an effect on his game.

10-05-2013, 08:13 PM
McPake has been off form lately but I think hes a good leader so I would still start him in the final

stoneyburn hibs
10-05-2013, 08:26 PM
He'll play in the final so i'll get behind him.

I feel a bit bad for him as he's obviously not right in some way but if he gives 100% in the final he's capable of being a perfectly ok centre back. Personally I think he has taken a lot of the 5-1 burden on his shoulders, which is to his credit, but is perhaps having an effect on his game.

You think that he still has a burden of last year which is having an effect on his game ?, good defence of him but misguided I think, A good captain would rally from that and at least be heard this season even if not on form. Not a chance he will not lead us out in 2 weeks if he is fit, Fenlon wouldnt not play him, hope it does not bite us on the day.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-05-2013, 08:27 PM
If we were only half way through the season I don't think that there is any question that he would be dropped or rested but doing that now would be madness. In the build up to the final the media want to talk to the captain.

West hamBERNIAN
10-05-2013, 08:32 PM
I don't think he's **** but he has always had a tendency to run out of position to challenge for a ball. Luckily he'd win a lot of them or make good last ditch challenges but there was always the potential to get us in trouble.

I do get your point though.

And I understand your point,against killie he was caught out of position, we played 442 and without the security of the two holding midshe went in the "hole" to try and kill off a threat before it got worse than it would be. If he never went in these positions ppl would be screaming "close him down" turns out unless your world class you can't win. He tries his heart out week in week out and he's our captain. Lets get behind him. :flag:I'm not james mcpake btw :thumbsup:

SMAXXA
10-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Cracking idea, lets drop our captain and central defender for the biggest game in our history to date (arguably), for an untried young lad we know nowt about. Lets get real, he has had some poor performances and has been poor by the standard he has set last season, but there is no chance he will or should be getting dropped. As I have said on other threads, other players have been as poor at times, half McPake's problem is that we compare him to last season which he was excellent. We focus on his shortcomings as we were fortunate to have appreciated how good he was last year, yet players we have seen hit the heights of mediocre get by without question.