PDA

View Full Version : Car problems...

steakbake
09-05-2013, 10:00 AM
There's a few sensible folk on here who know their way around the modern world...

A few months back, I bought a brand new motor on PCP. It's since developed an issue which appears to have been a manufacturer's fault as opposed to something I've done to the car - meaning it came with the car.

It has totally undermined my confidence in the vehicle I have bought and I am now wanting to completely cancel the contract.

Has anyone managed to do this? Apparently the Sale of Goods Act stipulates that the product has to be fit for purpose from the outset (one of the statutory rights often mentioned in small print and also in the consumer credit act that governs PCP schemes as well as loan for purchase etc). Also, the Road Traffic Act requires a vehicle to be roadworthy and that it is an offense to sell something which is not roadworthy.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed!

Beefster
09-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I'd imagine it depends on what is in your agreement, what the fault is, whether it has been fixed and how long you've had it. If there is no existing fault with the car (i.e. it's been fixed) or the dealer/manufacturer is trying to fix the issue at their own expense, I think you might struggle to walk away.

Citizen's Advice or Which Legal (if you're a member of Which) is probably your best bet for proper advice.

Edit: even if you can walk away, i'd imagine that your use of the car and the depreciation will probably mean you won't get a full refund.

speedy_gonzales
09-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Conincidentally, there was a small piece on BBC Watchdog last night with something similar.

Sending from my work so I cannot view the BBC page(it's blocked but Hibs.net isn't?) but you should be able to get it

HERE (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/consumer-victory-sale-of-goods-citroen)

Caversham Green
10-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Some useful info here:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/