PDA

View Full Version : Petrov retires

J-C
09-05-2013, 09:43 AM
On SSN just now that Stiliyan Pertov has announced his retirement from the game, I hope his recovery from his illness is quick and painless.

GreenArmyyy!
09-05-2013, 09:48 AM
What a shame, great footballer and seemed like a genuine down to earth guy as well, all the best for his recovery.

lugz
09-05-2013, 10:18 AM
What a real shame, seems like a genuinely good guy and was a brilliant player, hope he recovers and can continue a career within football.

Out of interest will people join in the minutes applause that the Celtic fans will no doubt do at the final?

lyonhibs
09-05-2013, 10:23 AM
What a real shame, seems like a genuinely good guy and was a brilliant player, hope he recovers and can continue a career within football.

Out of interest will people join in the minutes applause that the Celtic fans will no doubt do at the final?

Yes, absolutely. One of the very few times "Perma-mourn" FC will have a very good reason to do a minute's applause.

The chap has cancer FFS (not aimed at you, just those who will undoubtedly find some reason not to participate), one minute out of your day isn't too much to ask.

lugz
09-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Yeah that's why I asked, I too will join in as there's a lot more important things in life than a game of football.

DaveF
09-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Yes, absolutely. One of the very few times "Perma-mourn" FC will have a very good reason to do a minute's applause.

The chap has cancer FFS (not aimed at you, just those who will undoubtedly find some reason not to participate), one minute out of your day isn't too much to ask.

I won't.

Not because I have anything against Petrov - I hope he makes a full recovery - but because it's really got nothing to do with the SC Final or my club.

EdinMike
09-05-2013, 10:51 AM

If It does happen, i'll contribute why not ?

R'Albin
09-05-2013, 11:06 AM
I won't.

Not because I have anything against Petrov - I hope he makes a full recovery - but because it's really got nothing to do with the SC Final or my club.

I can see where you're coming from, and I do think these minute silences/applauses can be overdone, however I don't think the fact he isn't related to us directly really matters here. A great footballer and a really genuine guy, from what I read anyway, has sadly been forced to retire due to having cancer. It's a real shame and if there is an applause I don't see any reason not to participate personally.

marinello59
09-05-2013, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=lyonhibs;3592981]

I won't.

:agree:

The_Exile
09-05-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm a football fan first and a Hibs fan second, so I would join in, he was an absolute joy to watch, I'm sure we saw him at his best. I remember him running the show against us on more than 1 ocassion, a class player. Hope his recovery goes well.

Scottie
09-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Great player and a humble man also

All the best with your on-going fight with this terrible disease

Pretty Boy
09-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Good luck to him.

He seems to be heading in the right direction so here's hoping he makes it all the way and can stay involved in football in some way.

lapsedhibee
09-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Hope he has a long and happy retirement, but I don't remember him as a great player at all, and he certainly wasn't "genuine". When he played for Celtc he was a serial diver, and got undeserved free kicks week in, week out from OF-friendly refs. When he went dan sarf he tried the same thing for a few weeks there and didn't get the same favourable treatment, so wisely gave up the habit.

Stevie Reid
09-05-2013, 12:20 PM
I remember him being a high profile signing under John Barnes who didn't deliver, but when MON arrived, what a player he became - pretty much the perfect SPL midfielder. I'm sure the current Villa side would be sitting a bit more comfortably had they had his services to call upon this season.

A real shame that his illness has ended his career, but it was a pretty illustrious one, with lots of medals and over 100 caps for his country, and AV have told him that he has a job for life there. Here's hoping he makes a full recovery, he'll certainly have the best treatment available.

Hibs Class
09-05-2013, 12:43 PM
I haven't seen anything anywhere that suggests Celtc fans will do an applause at the final. Don't see the harm in them doing something as a one-off but if so a more appropriate time would be their last home game of the season this weekend. No need for then to do it at every match like the Villa fans, and no need for it at Hampden.

JimBHibees
09-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Hope he has a long and happy retirement, but I don't remember him as a great player at all, and he certainly wasn't "genuine". When he played for Celtc he was a serial diver, and got undeserved free kicks week in, week out from OF-friendly refs. When he went dan sarf he tried the same thing for a few weeks there and didn't get the same favourable treatment, so wisely gave up the habit.

Agree with all of that, can remember him diving for a pen a minute after we had taken the lead v Celtc at ER. The ref of course obliged.

It is a shame for the guy no doubt however no need for Hibs to fell obligated to show appreciation IMO.

lord bunberry
09-05-2013, 12:52 PM

I agree, also I don't think there should be a minutes aplause unless someonehas died. I can uunderstand villa fans doing what they did in support for their player but it should be left at that

KeithTheHibby
09-05-2013, 01:01 PM

Why the cup final? They have a home game coming up soon, let them get on with a minutes applause then.

I will be staggered if there is any applause planned at the final.

lugz
09-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Why the cup final? They have a home game coming up soon, let them get on with a minutes applause then.

I will be staggered if there is any applause planned at the final.

They'll probably do one then as well, I certainly won't be staggered if they do at the final. I'm pretty sure they've done it more than a couple of times since petrov was first diagnosed.

KeithTheHibby
09-05-2013, 01:18 PM
They'll probably do one then as well, I certainly won't be staggered if they do at the final. I'm pretty sure they've done it more than a couple of times since petrov was first diagnosed.

Wouldn't be like them right enough to milk something for all it's worth. Greatest fans in the world and all that.:rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
09-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Sad to hear that Petrov has retired through illness and of course I hope he wins the biggest battle of his life. I would certainly not disapprove of any planned tribute to him and if there was applause I would join in for no other reason than I have no reason not to.

As for his playing ability he was decent enough, though his talents are probalby remembered rather more fondly than they would be due to the circumstances IMO.

BurghHibby
09-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Agree with all of that, can remember him diving for a pen a minute after we had taken the lead v Celtc at ER. The ref of course obliged.

It is a shame for the guy no doubt however no need for Hibs to fell obligated to show appreciation IMO.

This :agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
It's a free country but I don't really know if I get this unconnected gesture in relation to the final? As others state they have home (and away) games beforehand. If so, so be it. I seem to recall applauding Alan Stubbs? But he was actually present at ER. Will Stan be there? Surely at CP they can put his image up.

Holmesdale Hibs
09-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Agree with this. Hope he makes a full recovery and all the rest of it but I find it difficult to applaud a player the dived against Hibs and generally cheated on a regular basis.

I remember the game your talking about (dived at the FF/east stand side of the box, right?) and I didn't even realise it was a dive until the half time replay. He dived so much he'd obviously mastered it. Apart from the diving I thought he was a pretty decent player in good Celtic team.