PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Weir

Hibs History
08-05-2013, 11:27 AM
New player profile available online from the Hibernian Historical Trust

Mickey Weir

Link (http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/150-mickey-weir)

One of my favourite ever players!

Please share your memories of Mickey below

He's here, he's there....

:flag:

neilmartinrocks
08-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Only caught his last year at Hibs as he played during the Mogadon Miller era. Sure I seen him play for Millwall when I was in london?

lord bunberry
08-05-2013, 03:36 PM
I loved watching mickey weir especially in those really long shorts in 1991, he looked like he was wearing trousers

nribs
08-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Only caught his last year at Hibs as he played during the Mogadon Miller era. Sure I seen him play for Millwall when I was in london?

I'm sure it was Luton he played for?

Killiehibbie
08-05-2013, 04:18 PM
So simple http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-GRqiiwSBE then man of the match in the final :flag:

OxoHibby
08-05-2013, 04:50 PM
New player profile available online from the Hibernian Historical Trust

Mickey Weir

Link (http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/150-mickey-weir)

One of my favourite ever players!

Please share your memories of Mickey below

He's here, he's there....

:flag:

He's every ******* where

One of my favourite players especially the first spell.
Didn't seem quite the same player when he came back from luton

YehButNoBut
08-05-2013, 04:51 PM
The 1991 League Cup final is my greatest memory of Mickey, he won a penalty for the 1st (a bit dubious as he miss-kicked the ball & fell over) then set up Keith Wright for the 2nd.

A never to be forgotten day. :agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnvbkDy0EIk&list=PLE41AC06F1D2A890B

Stantons Angel
08-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Ah the memories of this wee man in the no7 jersey invoke for me are happy ones.

Mickey always loved to play in that jersey every time he pulled it over his head he grew in stature and always gave his all.

His man of the match performance at the 1991 League Cup final just typified Mickey Weir and they way he played.

You can also look back at the pinpoint pass to the head of Keith Wright for the winner against Rangers in that cup semi final, simply superb!

Being small in stature meant he attracted the "bully boys" in opposing teams who could only foul him to stop him leaving them in his wake.

So fast and direct and so exciting a player to watch in his many man of the match performances.

He's here He's there He's everywhere used to ring out of the east stand every week, he had supporters on their feet with his mazy runs and going past defenders with ease!

He is still a true Hibby and deserves his legend status, he played for the jersey and loved his club!

Even now he is still seen at games and writes his column for the Evening News on a Monday as well as taking part in sports related radio shows.

Mickey is always generous with his time to help the underprivileged with fundraising appearances and coming along to speak to kids about his sport and career.

A little man with a huge BIG heart that will always be a HIBBY!

Thanks for the memories Mickey!

Joe's ice cream
08-05-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm sure it was Luton he played for?

Yep it was Luton, I know Jimmy Ryan the then Luton manager who took him down there- he really rated Micky and thought that he would have made an impact down there, it was due to home sickness I believe that Mickey was let away to head back up the road

Green Reaper
08-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Yep it was Luton, I know Jimmy Ryan the then Luton manager who took him down there- he really rated Micky and thought that he would have made an impact down there, it was due to home sickness I believe that Mickey was let away to head back up the road

Met Mickey in my local in Luton as he was friends with the landlord Gibby (RIP). I ended up in hospital for a while and Mickey sent Gibby a card and ball signed by the Hibs team for me, treasured posessions now. Always be greatful to Mickey for that.

On another note, brings a smile to my face when watch the game against Videoton at ER. They tried to kick him off the park and the wee man lost it with the biggest bruiser in their team and put him on his erchie', think Mickey was about half his size. One of my eavourite Hibs players of all time and the definition of 'Hibs Class'

neilmartinrocks
08-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Yeh I ken he played for luton but I defo seen play for millwall I was in london 96/97 and he played for them at least twice that I seen him.

lord bunberry
08-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Yeh I ken he played for luton but I defo seen play for millwall I was in london 96/97 and he played for them at least twice that I seen him.

He was on loan to milwall that season

ibrahimotitch
08-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Always remember staring in awe at the bench as Mickey sat there, and before I knew he had his water bottle out and sprayed it against the dugout. I absolutely shoit myself, leaving him and the rest of the subs in stitches. Dunno what year it was, i was young at the time but when the dugout had seats right beside it.

neilmartinrocks
08-05-2013, 06:33 PM
He was on loan to milwall that season

aye thanks for that man I was starting tae think I was wrong.:rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
08-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Remember the Hibs support going absolutely mental when he was sent off against Anderlecht.

jabis
08-05-2013, 06:40 PM
getting skinned by John McLelland,and Micky pulling his shorts down,even the ref laughed as he gave a freekick....sure big john(6'8")gave him a kiss :greengrin

IWasThere2016
08-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Met the wee man pre and post that game last May - absolute gent. Hibs class and some :thumbsup:

weedgiehibbie
08-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Aah wee Mickey!! my 1st Edinburgh Derby saw something strange happen, well 2 really :greengrin an alex Miller attacking tactick pay off by playing Wier as a centre forward and Weir score with a header in a 3-1 win when both the cowshed and dunbar end had been knocked down for development :thumbsup:

NOLA
08-05-2013, 09:37 PM
too many good memories of mickey to write down, absolute legend in my eyes.

hibs0666
08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Mikey was in my registration class at school. He got to live the dream. :thumbsup:

spike220
08-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Ah the memories of this wee man in the no7 jersey invoke for me are happy ones.

Mickey always loved to play in that jersey every time he pulled it over his head he grew in stature and always gave his all.

His man of the match performance at the 1991 League Cup final just typified Mickey Weir and they way he played.

You can also look back at the pinpoint pass to the head of Keith Wright for the winner against Rangers in that cup semi final, simply superb!

Being small in stature meant he attracted the "bully boys" in opposing teams who could only foul him to stop him leaving them in his wake.

So fast and direct and so exciting a player to watch in his many man of the match performances.

He's here He's there He's everywhere used to ring out of the east stand every week, he had supporters on their feet with his mazy runs and going past defenders with ease!

He is still a true Hibby and deserves his legend status, he played for the jersey and loved his club!

Even now he is still seen at games and writes his column for the Evening News on a Monday as well as taking part in sports related radio shows.

Mickey is always generous with his time to help the underprivileged with fundraising appearances and coming along to speak to kids about his sport and career.

A little man with a huge BIG heart that will always be a HIBBY!

Thanks for the memories Mickey!

If I had to pin point an exact moment that I got hooked on Hibs, that would be it!!