05-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Too soft son end of story

Shocking defending time and time again

hugo boss
05-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Shocking defending time and time again been like that all season mate

Houchy
05-05-2013, 02:37 PM
What the hell has happened to him? He's been a liability recently!!!

Bombscare at times.

Hibercelona
05-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Why should he have a word?

He's in serious pain but is still being played week in week out. It's Pat that should be having a word. He's clearly not in any fit condition to be playing, but has to play when he's told to.

adhibs
05-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Has to be dropped now. Will lose us the cup

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2013, 02:41 PM

He's in serious pain but is still being played week in week out. It's Pat that should be having a word. He's clearly not in any fit condition to be playing, but has to play when he's told to.

Nonsense.

Hainan Hibs
05-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Needs dropped, will get torn a new one in the final if on that form.

eastterrace
05-05-2013, 02:43 PM

if he aint fit then he shouldnt be playing personally i think he was and still is overated, some people were even saying as good as frank sauzee

Hibercelona
05-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Nonsense.

How is it nonsense?

If a player refuses to play against the managers will, then he's in breach of contract.

Pat needs to pull him out now, because he's in no fit condition to be playing. It's been evident all season long.

hibee_girl
05-05-2013, 02:45 PM

No he doesn't, if he seriously is in that much pain then it's his responsibility to make that clear to the management etc. As the captain he should be putting the team first and not playing if he knows he's not fit enough.

Hibercelona
05-05-2013, 02:47 PM
if he aint fit then he shouldnt be playing personally i think he was and still is overated, some people were even saying as good as frank sauzee

McPake was great when he first arrived here and played a huge part in keeping us up last season. This season however, he's been all over the place since returning from his back problem. That's because the problem is still there.

zlatan

If that were the case he'd have been rested for today and the next couple of weeks with McGivern and Hanlon in the middle and Stevenson at left back. I refuse to believe Fenlon is that stupid.

Thecat23

That's rubbish. A pro footballer when injured doesn't "have" to play when told. If he's injured and feels he isn't fit enough he would say so and the manager wouldn't play him. If he did force a player to play and Mcpake suffered a serious injury, then the manager could be sued. It's more chance he's not fit but saying to everyone he is! Either way he's having a mare and needs rested/dropped.

Hibernia Na Eir
05-05-2013, 02:50 PM
he's a Norn Irish international, say no more.

Heisenberg
05-05-2013, 02:51 PM
He's cost us a number of goals recently. He needs dropped but it won't happen. I'm fearful for both the derby and cup final if he turns up and plays like he has been.

hugo boss
05-05-2013, 02:52 PM

He's in serious pain but is still being played week in week out. It's Pat that should be having a word. He's clearly not in any fit condition to be playing, but has to play when he's told to. I would find it very very strange that he is in pain and we are still playing him and gets told too play..." Maybe you should have a word what a lot of bull sh.t of a reply"

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2013, 02:53 PM
How is it nonsense?

If a player refuses to play against the managers will, then he's in breach of contract.

Pat needs to pull him out now, because he's in no fit condition to be playing. It's been evident all season long.

Are you really that daft?

hugo boss
05-05-2013, 02:56 PM
I think he is mate

Bishop Hibee
05-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Hanlon was easily beaten for the first header too.

Mikey
05-05-2013, 02:57 PM

He sure is :agree:

Andy74
05-05-2013, 02:58 PM
I think he is mate

I think he is too. Actually I think it's just whatever reflects worse on Fenlon that he decides to believe.

Thecat23
05-05-2013, 03:05 PM
How is it nonsense?

How can he breach his contract if he's injured? Are you being serious here? Honest question, or you winding us up?

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-05-2013, 03:15 PM
To be fair Boyd did nudge him but he has recovered not too badly since, but agree he needs to be rested and put McGivern in the middle

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2013, 03:30 PM
I thought Boyd pushed him.

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2013, 03:49 PM

There was a slight nudge, but any decent centre half should be much stronger than McPake was in that situation.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
05-05-2013, 03:53 PM
We need to sign a CB to give him competition, hes a shadow of the mcpake from last year imo.

Hibercelona
05-05-2013, 04:57 PM
We need to sign a CB to give him competition, hes a shadow of the mcpake from last year imo.

He doesn't need competition, he's injured.

Why is this going over so many peoples heads on here?

Some people calling him a donkey as well? I don't know how anybody can blame a player for being badly injured. He really shouldn't be playing at the moment and it's down to the manager to tell him that he's not playing whether he likes it or not.

500miles
05-05-2013, 05:01 PM
There was a slight nudge, but any decent centre half should be much stronger than McPake was in that situation.

To be fair, McPake was jumping at the time, so his own momentum would have been going against him.

However, he has been poor recently, and I would like to see a new centre half in the closed season.

neil7908
05-05-2013, 05:13 PM
He needs to be rested and lets see how a defence of Clancy-Hanlon-McGivern-Stevenson get on in the final few games leading up to the final.

Whether its poor form, a lingering injury, the failings of others around him etc he has just not been at the races for a while now.

Its frustrating as Celtic have shown this season that they are a very beatable side. We need to be at our best when we face them and I just think that currently his form does not warrant a place in the starting XI.

SMAXXA
05-05-2013, 05:42 PM

me too

SMAXXA
05-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Yes he should have done better but yet again his partner has done him no favours. I am astounded by the total lack of comments about Hanlon, he time and time again goes up for a bread and butter centre half's header coming onto the ball from a route one launch and gets beat. That is the root cause of the goal not JM, yes McPake should have done better but I want a CH that will go deal with his bread and butter long balls and dominate. Constantly found out against decent CF's (Higdon, Foran etc)

Stevie Reid
05-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Yes he should have done better but yet again his partner has done him no favours. I am astounded by the total lack of comments about Hanlon, he time and time again goes up for a bread and butter centre half's header coming onto the ball from a route one launch and gets beat. That is the root cause of the goal not JM, yes McPake should have done better but I want a CH that will go deal with his bread and butter long balls and dominate. Constantly found out against decent CF's (Higdon, Foran etc)

Hanlon has his bad moments for sure, but he has been miles better than McPake this season. Has been more of a leader on the park too, IMO.

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2013, 05:51 PM

Some people calling him a donkey as well? I don't know how anybody can blame a player for being badly injured. He really shouldn't be playing at the moment and it's down to the manager to tell him that he's not playing whether he likes it or not.

More crap, if he's injured its up to him to tell the manager he's injured and cant play.

Thecat23
05-05-2013, 05:57 PM

It's over you're head. What can't you grasp here. If he's injured and he's telling the manager he's not, he's cheating himself along with his team mates. You are saying Fenlon knows he's injured yet he's forcing him to play! That has to be the worst statement I've heard on here in ages. Like I said Fenlon would be liable if McPake really hurt himself. Again I think you are just fishing and aren't that stupid.

SMAXXA
05-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Hanlon has his bad moments for sure, but he has been miles better than McPake this season. Has been more of a leader on the park too, IMO.

Im not disputing that JM has been poor, doesn't it work both ways when people say PH's better and has come on leaps and bounds since JM has played alongside him? Yet where's PH when we have scary moments, he's constantly found wanting IMO, look at last weeks 3rd goal I think it was and his semi performance caught flat footed that illustrates how poor he can be IMO. its no good enough, and is much rather have JM and a McManus or someone like that than Hanlon. Mcpake by his own admission has been poor, again another season goes past with more defensive frailties yet who is always the common denominator in our defence?

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2013, 06:04 PM
It's over you're head. What can't you grasp here. If he's injured and he's telling the manager he's not, he's cheating himself along with his team mates. You are saying Fenlon knows he's injured yet he's forcing him to play! That has to be the worst statement I've heard on here in ages. Like I said Fenlon would be liable if McPake really hurt himself. Again I think you are just fishing and aren't that stupid.

I think you are wrong.

Scouse Hibee
05-05-2013, 06:08 PM

I have been thinking for weeks that some of your posts make you sound very dim and something of an idiot but have always given you the benefit of the doubt. But this one has clinched it for me :faf: you really do not have a clue what you are talking about.

Thecat23
05-05-2013, 06:13 PM
I think you are wrong.

Think you could be right!

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Think you could be right!

:greengrin

FromTheCapital
05-05-2013, 06:54 PM
In all fairness to James, he does get a shove in the back from Boyd which makes it very difficult to head the ball as he is put off balance by the push but he doesn't look the same as he did earlier in the season. He started the season well IMO, he made a few crucial challenges in some of the early games but he is either not fit or on low confidence and he needs to get his act together and start playing like a leader and a captain.

Elephant Stone
05-05-2013, 07:05 PM

Looked like a foul to me. It's more fun criticising our payers though. AH HATE JAMEZ MCKAPE.

Stevie Reid
05-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Im not disputing that JM has been poor, doesn't it work both ways when people say PH's better and has come on leaps and bounds since JM has played alongside him? Yet where's PH when we have scary moments, he's constantly found wanting IMO, look at last weeks 3rd goal I think it was and his semi performance caught flat footed that illustrates how poor he can be IMO. its no good enough, and is much rather have JM and a McManus or someone like that than Hanlon. Mcpake by his own admission has been poor, again another season goes past with more defensive frailties yet who is always the common denominator in our defence?

How many games have you been to this season, Gary? Hanlon has looked good alongside McPake and McGivern (when played RCB). McPake hasn't looked good alongside either of them, bar some decent and a couple of excellent performances.

SMAXXA
05-05-2013, 07:43 PM
How many games have you been to this season, Gary? Hanlon has looked good alongside McPake and McGivern (when played RCB). McPake hasn't looked good alongside either of them, bar some decent and a couple of excellent performances.

Don't disagree with the JM criticism yet PH is again overlooked for criticism? What's your view of his performances in isolation taking JM out of the equation? Or does he get the same slack as Wotherspoon Stevie aye? Last season JM set very very high standards, to which he is not realising this term, something PH has still yet to achieve in his what 4th or 5th season.

Stevie Reid
05-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Don't disagree with the JM criticism yet PH is again overlooked for criticism? What's your view of his performances in isolation taking JM out of the equation? Or does he get the same slack as Wotherspoon Stevie aye? Last season JM set very very high standards, to which he is not realising this term, something PH has still yet to achieve in his what 4th or 5th season.

I've already stated that Hanlon has bad moments, yet you don't go to ER regularly and are making assumptions about him being the weak link in our back four, which is incorrect. McPake was inspirational last year, but has had a very poor season, not just performing poorly as a defender, but also in his role as captain too.

Why being Wotherspoon into it btw? My opinion of him is that he has talent and is a potential match winner, but hasn't produced anywhere close to enough in his 4 years in the first team. Hanlon is improving IMO.

cleanyman
05-05-2013, 08:02 PM
On his current form....and with him being very poor for months. He cannot start the final, he is so far off the pace right now.

SMAXXA
05-05-2013, 08:02 PM
I've already stated that Hanlon has bad moments, yet you don't go to ER regularly and are making assumptions about him being the weak link in our back four, which is incorrect. McPake was inspirational last year, but has had a very poor season, not just performing poorly as a defender, but also in his role as captain too.

Why being Wotherspoon into it btw? My opinion of him is that he has talent and is a potential match winner, but hasn't produced anywhere close to enough in his 4 years in the first team. Hanlon is improving IMO.

I don't make any assumptions I state my opinion on what I actually see, regardless of the games I can attend V's you, what I have seen isn't good enough. By your logic the fact he is improving, will we actually see a CH that will walk into any other team in this poor league in say another 4 years? Its not good enough Stevie, we settle far to often for mediocre and come out with the same ow its getting better line, again not good enough. Give me Anderson, Boyd, Pasquali, Gunning etc over PH any day of the week again IMO. DW and PH fall into the same category for me, lets persevere and lets hope the glimmers we see will result in us having something to justify the 4-5 years of underperformance. BTW where has he been poor as a captain?

Sudds_1
05-05-2013, 08:09 PM
No he doesn't, if he seriously is in that much pain then it's his responsibility to make that clear to the management etc. As the captain he should be putting the team first and not playing if he knows he's not fit enough.

what she said :agree:

Stevie Reid
05-05-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't make any assumptions I state my opinion on what I actually see, regardless of the games I can attend V's you, what I have seen isn't good enough. By your logic the fact he is improving, will we actually see a CH that will walk into any other team in this poor league in say another 4 years? Its not good enough Stevie, we settle far to often for mediocre and come out with the same ow its getting better line, again not good enough. Give me Anderson, Boyd, Pasquali, Gunning etc over PH any day of the week again IMO. DW and PH fall into the same category for me, lets persevere and lets hope the glimmers we see will result in us having something to justify the 4-5 years of underperformance. BTW where has he been poor as a captain?

You are making assumptions as you are passing judgement on a season in which you haven't seen many games. You are using these assumptions in order to back up what you have already decided, which is that he's not good enough - that's fine, you're entitled to think that, but it doesn't change the fact that he's been our best defender this season by quite some distance. If mediocre isn't good enough then why are you defending McPake? And if you demand such high standards as you claim you do, then the whole back four has to go.

McPake has been poor as captain as his head goes down far too often, and his body language and general demeanour is miles away from the inspirational leader we had last season. Poor play can be excused if your attitude is good, I can't believe what I've been seeing from JM this season.

How many times have you seen Gavin Gunning play, incidentally?

SMAXXA
05-05-2013, 09:31 PM
You are making assumptions as you are passing judgement on a season in which you haven't seen many games. You are using these assumptions in order to back up what you have already decided, which is that he's not good enough - that's fine, you're entitled to think that, but it doesn't change the fact that he's been our best defender this season by quite some distance. If mediocre isn't good enough then why are you defending McPake? And if you demand such high standards as you claim you do, then the whole back four has to go.

McPake has been poor as captain as his head goes down far too often, and his body language and general demeanour is miles away from the inspirational leader we had last season. Poor play can be excused if your attitude is good, I can't believe what I've been seeing from JM this season.

How many times have you seen Gavin Gunning play, incidentally?

I think your making the assumption ive not seen many games Stevie, I was at all the home games before I got back into football which is only in the last 8 weeks or so, been to Tynie and watched all the other games that were televised (in addition to other league games that wernt on a Saturday, which havnt been too many) so with all due respect I don't think you will have seen much more than me this season mate. I would also disagree he's been our best defender by a distance, McGivern? And yes I do demand high standard with context around what we can afford and our defence this season (McGivern aside) could walk for me no problem. I have no sentiment towards players we bring through just for the sake of them being our own, if they arnt progressing to the standard we should expect they shouldn't be here. In football these days a player that's deemed to be a 'talent' doesn't stick around the SPL long, bigger and better teams identify this and sign them up. Why hasn't that happened to the guys were are discussing, simply because they arnt good enough to progress further than this level, which in some instances they are fortunate enough they are still playing for a club like ours.

I don't believe I have come out in defence of JM, I have acknowledged how poor he has been but he is not in isolation, mediocre describing both is being kind if IMO.

Jonnyboy
05-05-2013, 09:34 PM

Do you know all this to be fact or is it your view on what's happening? If McPake is unfit he need only declare himself so. Unless he does, the manager will pick him.

As to today, yes he got nudged by Boyd but it made little difference to the outcome as McPake was once again caught under the ball. Ask yourself how many goals we've conceded recently to bread and butter crosses into our box? No doubt that'll be Hanlon's fault

Stevie Reid
06-05-2013, 01:58 PM
I think your making the assumption ive not seen many games Stevie, I was at all the home games before I got back into football which is only in the last 8 weeks or so, been to Tynie and watched all the other games that were televised (in addition to other league games that wernt on a Saturday, which havnt been too many) so with all due respect I don't think you will have seen much more than me this season mate. I would also disagree he's been our best defender by a distance, McGivern? And yes I do demand high standard with context around what we can afford and our defence this season (McGivern aside) could walk for me no problem. I have no sentiment towards players we bring through just for the sake of them being our own, if they arnt progressing to the standard we should expect they shouldn't be here. In football these days a player that's deemed to be a 'talent' doesn't stick around the SPL long, bigger and better teams identify this and sign them up. Why hasn't that happened to the guys were are discussing, simply because they arnt good enough to progress further than this level, which in some instances they are fortunate enough they are still playing for a club like ours.

I don't believe I have come out in defence of JM, I have acknowledged how poor he has been but he is not in isolation, mediocre describing both is being kind if IMO.

You may well have seen more than I think mate, but I still don't think your assessment of Hanlon is a fair one. McGivern had a good shout for being our best defender up until January, but hasn't been anywhere near as good since his staying until the end of the season was confirmed. Impressed at LB earlier in the season but I actually think his best performances were at CB alongside Hanlon.

A couple of years back I couldn't see Hanlon making it, but I am hopeful for him now - still only 23 and 122 appearances behind him now, I think he's getting better. I can understand why people still aren't convinced, but I firmly believe that he has been our best defender this season.

I wouldn't have a go at you for defending McPake anyway, he is the captain of Hibs and as such will always have my respect and support. However, in the context of a message board discussion I am seriously concerned at not just his defensive play but his (apparent, from how it looks from the stands) lack of influence on the rest of the team in his role as team captain.

However, his best performance of the season came against Celtic in the 1-0 win at ER, so we know he has it in him to pull out a big performance on 29 May - it would be good if his form could improve before then though. Will be interesting to see how he does on Sunday after his promise that they would never run over the top of us again.

Pretty Boy
06-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Give him a rest for the derby, see how another centre back pairing works then make a big decision based on that.

SMAXXA
06-05-2013, 02:36 PM
You may well have seen more than I think mate, but I still don't think your assessment of Hanlon is a fair one. McGivern had a good shout for being our best defender up until January, but hasn't been anywhere near as good since his staying until the end of the season was confirmed. Impressed at LB earlier in the season but I actually think his best performances were at CB alongside Hanlon.

A couple of years back I couldn't see Hanlon making it, but I am hopeful for him now - still only 23 and 122 appearances behind him now, I think he's getting better. I can understand why people still aren't convinced, but I firmly believe that he has been our best defender this season.

I wouldn't have a go at you for defending McPake anyway, he is the captain of Hibs and as such will always have my respect and support. However, in the context of a message board discussion I am seriously concerned at not just his defensive play but his (apparent, from how it looks from the stands) lack of influence on the rest of the team in his role as team captain.

However, his best performance of the season came against Celtic in the 1-0 win at ER, so we know he has it in him to pull out a big performance on 29 May - it would be good if his form could improve before then though. Will be interesting to see how he does on Sunday after his promise that they would never run over the top of us again.

Your right that he has improved, I was on here giving him a fair bit of praise a few months ago which he merited, but as you well know im still not convinced, maybe in his next 122 appearances I will start being converted :wink:. Its never great when criticising your own players but I appreciate people seeing it differently to me, its all about opinions mate, we can discuss further at the final If I don't see you before, celebrating Hanlon scoring the winner of course :greengrin.

Stevie Reid
06-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Your right that he has improved, I was on here giving him a fair bit of praise a few months ago which he merited, but as you well know im still not convinced, maybe in his next 122 appearances I will start being converted :wink:. Its never great when criticising your own players but I appreciate people seeing it differently to me, its all about opinions mate, we can discuss further at the final If I don't see you before, celebrating Hanlon scoring the winner of course :greengrin.

A good number of those appearances came at LB where I think he is competent at best. Many of the other appearances have been at CH alongside a variety of different partners, and I think it significant that his most notable improvement has come on the back of having a regular partner in McPake, who was in great form and led by example last year. Yes, he is guilty of still being bullied at times, but as another poster mentioned recently, look what Higdon did to McPake in the recent 4-1 defeat at Fir Park (which seems to have been a pivotal moment in JM's season, sadly).

I think PH is growing in stature and I am more hopeful for his prospects now than I have been at any point in his career thus far. If McPake can get back to being the aggressive leader who attacks the ball in the air, we'll see even more from Paul, IMO.

Catch you soon either way mate :aok:

KeithTheHibby
06-05-2013, 03:10 PM

Utter pish. If McPake feels he cannot play then he won't, end of.

How do you even know that he is suffering a back injury? I have not read anywhere that he is still suffering the effects.

3pm
06-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Give him a rest for the derby, see how another centre back pairing works then make a big decision based on that.

There is absolutely no chance McPake will be dropped.

Teuchter Hibbie
06-05-2013, 04:08 PM
He needs to be rested and lets see how a defence of Clancy-Hanlon-McGivern-Stevenson get on in the final few games leading up to the final.

Whether its poor form, a lingering injury, the failings of others around him etc he has just not been at the races for a while now.

Its frustrating as Celtic have shown this season that they are a very beatable side. We need to be at our best when we face them and I just think that currently his form does not warrant a place in the starting XI.

This about says it all for me.

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Is anyone else worried that Fenlon is ignoring just how injured McPake is, and playing him completely against his will week after week?

truehibernian
06-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Blind faith from Pat - should have been dropped and Forster given a wee chance

Dashing Bob S
06-05-2013, 05:25 PM
So strange but sadly rather true to see McPake described as too soft, when the original consensus was that he was exactly the uncompromising hard man we needed.

He's either suffering from 'Hibs disease' - a condition whereby the player is shaved of all confidence to the extent that he struggles to get his Nat King Cole in the VIP lounge of a George Street club, or is playing through injuries and gamely battling on till the end of the season.

McPake is a truly inspirational player but he just isn't cutting it right now, and football is a performance based sport. He should be dropped, but who replaces him? Hanlon, who feeds of McPake's confidence, has now been rendered pretty much useless by his partner's demise, and Clancy is also, by some accounts, fighting through an injury and looks rather dodgy.

The sad truth is that Celtic could beat us comfortably with a no more than mediocre performance against a somewhat shabby, glass-jawed back four.

brydekirk
06-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Hanlon was easily beaten for the first header too.

Correct

brydekirk
06-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Never let the ball bounce, simple.

JOD
07-05-2013, 12:08 AM
:flag:Folks the problems with our defence is not James McPake. It is Tony Hanlon. Pat needs to make a big decision for this cup final. I said it last year (check my pre cup final post) .If Tony is to play put him at left back. He is not strong enough for that centre back role(yet) but it will come. Outjumped yesterday and outplayed by Taylor in first half of semi. Only got the better Thru Taylors injury 2nd half. Bring Clancy or McGivern in beside James and we can win this thing otherwise Im sorry it will yet another missed opportunity. HailHail:flag:

JOD
07-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Deliberate Srry Tony meant your son Paul.:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
07-05-2013, 12:15 AM
:flag:Folks the problems with our defence is not James McPake. It is Tony Hanlon.

any relation of paul hanlon ?

sorted :greengrin

:)

blackpoolhibs
07-05-2013, 08:10 AM
:flag:Folks the problems with our defence is not James McPake. It is Tony Hanlon. Pat needs to make a big decision for this cup final. I said it last year (check my pre cup final post) .If Tony is to play put him at left back. He is not strong enough for that centre back role(yet) but it will come. Outjumped yesterday and outplayed by Taylor in first half of semi. Only got the better Thru Taylors injury 2nd half. Bring Clancy or McGivern in beside James and we can win this thing otherwise Im sorry it will yet another missed opportunity. HailHail:flag:

Just because you posted something last season does not make it right.

While i'd agree Paul is not the best central defender in the SPL, he's been better than McPake all season.

Yes he's had the odd bad game, or had bad moments in games, but thats the case with EVERY player we have on our books.