PDA

View Full Version : Any Hibee Fine Diners?

Scouse Hibee
03-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Any foodies on here who dine in Michelin star restaurants in Edinburgh and/or some of the finer establishments that the Edinburgh food scene has to offer? If so what's your opinions on the ones you have visited, has anyone tried the new Galvin Brasserie in Rutland Street that used to be Henry J Beans or the Pompadour by Galvins in the Caley hotel?

Lucius Apuleius
04-05-2013, 05:37 AM
Any foodies on here who dine in Michelin star restaurants in Edinburgh and/or some of the finer establishments that the Edinburgh food scene has to offer? If so what's your opinions on the ones you have visited, has anyone tried the new Galvin Brasserie in Rutland Street that used to be Henry J Beans or the Pompadour by Galvins in the Caley hotel?

Not specifically in Edinburgh but I do enjoy fine dining. 2-1-2-1-2 the day it opened was a great experience. Best meal I ever had was the Country Club at the Wynne in Vegas. The tasting menu was out of this world. Sergey is the man to give you pointers. I go to the Roman Camp in Callendar and the Glenskirlie in Banknock a fair bit. Both good though I feel the Skirlie is slipping a bit recently.

Future17
04-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Would definitely recommend Wedgwood on the Royal Mile (http://www.wedgwoodtherestaurant.co.uk/).

Excellent food and very good value.

Allant1981
04-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Andrew fairlie at gleneagles is really good, went a couple of times when i worked at the hotel

whiskyhibby
04-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Martin Wisharts in Leith, a truely memorable experience, been there a few times and the food and service are outstanding

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Ondine, The Kitchin, Oloroso (when it was open), Martin Wisharts, Fishers at The Shore, Plumed Horse to name but a few have all been pretty good evenings but recently dined at the Pompadour by Galvin in the Caley (the chef is Craig Sandle from the Balmoral) it was superb, it won't be long before it has it's first Michelin star I guess.

hibsbollah
04-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I was a bit sceptical about the hype but The Kitchin was just sensational food. Waited six weeks from reservation to booking but well worth it. Tom came out and served and gave Mrs Bollah some cooking advice too, seemed like a good guy.

Two excellent french places ive been to recently, and a bit more affordable, are La Garrigue on Jeffrey Street with a provencale vibe and Le Cafe St Honore on Thistle St Lane, which is classic Parisian.

Is there an absolute definition of 'fine dining' :dunno:

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2013, 03:30 PM
I was a bit sceptical about the hype but The Kitchin was just sensational food. Waited six weeks from reservation to booking but well worth it. Tom came out and served and gave Mrs Bollah some cooking advice too, seemed like a good guy.

Two excellent french places ive been to recently, and a bit more affordable, are La Garrigue on Jeffrey Street with a provencale vibe and Le Cafe St Honore on Thistle St Lane, which is classic Parisian.

Is there an absolute definition of 'fine dining' :dunno:

I think unique high quality produce menu's with a regular change along with quality service, food, atmosphere and quality of surroundings are the normal pointers don't you agree? Many offer Pre Fixe menus with excellent value too.

easty
04-05-2013, 05:02 PM
I'd strongly encourage folk to try here -

http://www.fieldrestaurant.co.uk/

we went a few weeks ago and it was excellent.

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2013, 05:52 PM
I'd strongly encourage folk to try here -

http://www.fieldrestaurant.co.uk/

we went a few weeks ago and it was excellent.

:agree: Looks well worth a visit.

hibsbollah
04-05-2013, 07:40 PM
I think unique high quality produce menu's with a regular change along with quality service, food, atmosphere and quality of surroundings are the normal pointers don't you agree? Many offer Pre Fixe menus with excellent value too.

I just wondered. Its one if these phrases that you suddenly realise you hear all the time but you dont know what it means :greengrin I love the food in wagamama, for example, and would rather eat there than other fusion places twice the price; but its definitely more 'fast food' than 'fine dining'.

Lucius Apuleius
05-05-2013, 05:21 AM
I just wondered. Its one if these phrases that you suddenly realise you hear all the time but you dont know what it means :greengrin I love the food in wagamama, for example, and would rather eat there than other fusion places twice the price; but its definitely more 'fast food' than 'fine dining'.

Slow food is best. :agree:

Beefster
05-05-2013, 06:43 AM
I had a nice meal at Kyloe last night. It's not particularly fine dining but its très posh for a steakhouse. Almost as good as Wildfire for steak.

Stonewall
05-05-2013, 07:07 AM
A fair bit outside town but I'd recommend the Peet Inn. Food is superb and there are a few rooms so you don't have to drive home.

Scouse Hibee
05-05-2013, 08:13 AM
I had a nice meal at Kyloe last night. It's not particularly fine dining but its très posh for a steakhouse. Almost as good as Wildfire for steak.

Yes it's pretty good though I do prefer Wildfire myself.

Sylar
05-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Andrew fairlie at gleneagles is really good, went a couple of times when i worked at the hotel

We went here prior to our wedding last year with both sets of parents and had the Degustation menu.

Food and service were both exceptional and both myself and father-in-law enjoy good wine and the selection was exceptional (with personalised recommendations to accompany the different dishes).

It's probably worth taking a room in the hotel for the evening or finding a way to not drive as a result.

Scouse Hibee
05-05-2013, 09:04 AM
We went here prior to our wedding last year with both sets of parents and had the Degustation menu.

Food and service were both exceptional and both myself and father-in-law enjoy good wine and the selection was exceptional (with personalised recommendations to accompany the different dishes).

It's probably worth taking a room in the hotel for the evening or finding a way to not drive as a result.

Never been myself but will try eventually. Having the Sommelier pair wines with each course is a great way to experience wines you maybe wouldn't have chosen yourself, on the occasions I have done this I been blown away by the choices and how much I have enjoyed them right down to the dessert wine.

Pretty Boy
05-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Recent meals out for me have included:

The Honours - very good

Cucina at Hotel Missoni - boring and overpriced

The Kitchin - outstanding and all the better because it was free.

Hadrians at The Balmoral - very good

12 Picardy Place - well worth a visit.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I just dinnae get it. Once you get to a certain price I doubt the food can actually taste any better. The restaurant name just becomes something to drop into a conversation.
I'm a fat git, but, I hate spending money on food.

danhibees1875
05-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Had a nice gammon steak and chips from The Chanter for lunch. :agree:

Came with a free pint of Strongbow too. :aok:

Scouse Hibee
05-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I just dinnae get it. Once you get to a certain price I doubt the food can actually taste any better. The restaurant name just becomes something to drop into a conversation.
I'm a fat git, but, I hate spending money on food.

Not at all, the uniqueness of the menu's, the fresh produce used to produce the meal and the chefs own truly original slant on some of the dishes are a thing of beauty. Not ersed about the restaurant names and don't mind admitting that some are freebies. :greengrin

On another note, I was overjoyed today to find a pub in Edinburgh that sells Manns brown ale, I have never seen it in twenty odd years of living here.
My stable drink of choice when back home in Liverpool can now be enjoyed here :greengrin (a brown bitter = 1/2 pint of bitter in a pint glass topped with a bottle of Manns) better than finding a new fine dining restaurant.

Holmesdale Hibs
06-05-2013, 10:58 AM
There's some real foodies on this thread...

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?71502-Shan-Scran

I went to a good French place on Broughton Street after a hibs game recently - http://www.lescargotbleu.co.uk/site_html_escargot_bleu/pages_web/escargot_bleu_french_restaurant_edinburgh.html

It was very good but not really fine dining or close to Michelin star standard. Don't live in Edinburgh but liking this thread as never know where to take the missus when I'm back home.

H18sry
07-05-2013, 12:37 PM
http://www.travelzoo.com/uk/local-deals/scotland/Restaurant/50860?utm_source=localdeal_uk&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1468031_html_edinburgh

TRC
08-05-2013, 01:46 AM
not fine dining but the Edinburgh Larder is a great meal was here for valentines this year. Also love the dining room at the whisky society on queen street although portions can be a tad on the short side. but food is awesome, have tried lots in edinburgh can't quite remember but these are the two that stick out in my head that I have been to recently. For a cheapish good lunch or dinner chez jules on Hannover street.

hibsbollah
08-05-2013, 08:05 AM
For a cheapish good lunch or dinner chez jules on Hannover street.

:agree: love it in there. Proper food and super relaxed.

KdyHby
09-05-2013, 05:35 AM
ar e La Garrigue on Jeffrey Street with a provencale vibe :

WOWcher deal: http://m.wowcher.co.uk/mt/www.wowcher.co.uk/email-deals/edinburgh/deal-46770-detail/39-instead-65-2-course-french-meal-2-aperitif/deal.html?c=24&ito=wowcher_email_0024&auth=EC79436EE29CFDAC342FD0FB7EA4120FF6893E997AB78 E1E596CD958D5A967E1&p=link_3&un_jtt_v_main_deal_details=yes

H18sry
09-05-2013, 07:06 AM
http://eu.nmb.ly/k7d2f