PDA

View Full Version : Exercise help and tips.

DH1875
03-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Looking for a bit advice so here goes, apparently the minimum amount of calories I need to eat for my age/height is 2000 a day. Been trying to lose wait so have struck to a strict 1800 per day. Here's the kicker though, been going to the gym everyday for the past two weeks. I have been burning 600 calories a day and today I done 1000 as it was the two weeks and was going to weigh myself afterwards. So technically I'm only on 1200 calories a day. So I weighed myself and the p-take is that I've put on 4lb :confused:. So the question is, how the duck have I put weight on? Cut out the fizzy drinks, crisps and everything :brickwall.

Jay
03-05-2013, 11:21 PM
From what i understand - it may be that as you are losing weight you are gaining muscle. Muscle bulk is heavier than fat so you may gain weight in the first few weeks of an exercise regime but its not fat. It will sort itself out and once you have muscle mass you will burn fat more quickly and will get weight loss.

CallumLaidlaw
03-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Yeah, you'll probably feel the difference in clothes etc, but if you're doing weights you'll be bulking up at the same time, so might just want to stick to cardio.

danhibees1875
03-05-2013, 11:40 PM
As above if you've been hitting the weights.

If not, did you measure yourself at the same time of day? That's important :agree: Although I wouldn't have thought to the extend you described.

Keep at it. :aok:

DH1875
04-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the replies :aok:. Haven't really been doing weights. Maybe a little here and there to kill time but not doing any sets or anything. I've basically been doing 250 calories on the bike, 250 calories on the rowing machine and 100 on the cross trainer thing. Add in that the gym is a 20 min walk away and I've been walking there and back (even in the rain) every day for the past two weeks I'm at a loss as to how I've put weight on. Was proper gutted when I weighed myself today.

HH81
04-05-2013, 03:36 AM
Forget the gym, eat smaller meals and go walking? Fruit is good to eat too, pink lady apples rule.

Try get up to 2 hours during week and a longer one at weeekend, have rest days though. Your legs will tone up at start but will see results after a month then keep at it.

If it works, chuck a quid in on my link at bottom of the post :-)

Jones28
04-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Just stick at it mate, give a couple of months and you'll see better results.

CallumLaidlaw
04-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Forget the gym, eat smaller meals and go walking? Fruit is good to eat too, pink lady apples rule.

Try get up to 2 hours during week and a longer one at weeekend, have rest days though. Your legs will tone up at start but will see results after a month then keep at it.

Yeah it's walking I'm doing at the minute. A 2hr walk burns about 1200 calories!!
I've been trying to lose weight for 7 weeks. Lost 23lbs so far. But to be fair I still have a long way to go.

Haymaker
04-05-2013, 12:33 PM
I have found cutting carbs from my diet after 3 and really going for it in the gym have worked a treat. Doing 3 sessions of 45mins on a crosstrainer, level 10 is going well, setting myself a new distance target each time (not huge increase) and beating it everytime.

Jay
04-05-2013, 01:12 PM
I do Burn it bootcamps, they changed my life completely, add in Scottish Slimmers and jobs a goodun. I lost mega amounts of weight and have stayed at a good weight now for a year despite personal and health issues.

HH81
04-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Yeah it's walking I'm doing at the minute. A 2hr walk burns about 1200 calories!!
I've been trying to lose weight for 7 weeks. Lost 23lbs so far. But to be fair I still have a long way to go.

I think you should set yourself a challenge and come do the 3 peaks (Yorkshire ones) in June. :greengrin

Allant1981
04-05-2013, 06:06 PM
What is your diet consisting of?

Allant1981
04-05-2013, 06:07 PM

Why eat smaller meals?

CallumLaidlaw
04-05-2013, 07:10 PM
I think you should set yourself a challenge and come do the 3 peaks (Yorkshire ones) in June. :greengrin

Something like that would be good eventually. 14 miles has been my best so far, so way to go yet. My wife is training for the moonwalk so helping her with that.

I decided to try herbalife as a friend gave me a supply cheap, and for the first month, was having a shake for breakfast and lunch, lots of fruit and then a main meal of lean meat, veg and wholewheat rice or pasta.
I've changed the lunchtime shake to a brown bread sandwich (ham salad normally), and when I run out of shakes will just have cereal for breakfast.

I was 22st 11lb when I started , and am now at 21st 2lb. I go to Florida in October so want to lose another 2 stone by then.

I've cut lager out in general (apart from pre-hibs games) and drink vodka, lime and soda instead, and still have the occasional treat (went to TGI Fridays for lunch today)

It's hard work, but its great getting into smaller clothes and having people notice the difference.

As others have said, just keep going and you'll soon notice the difference. You'll certainly feel more energetic and healthier.

HH81
05-05-2013, 03:45 AM
Something like that would be good eventually. 14 miles has been my best so far, so way to go yet. My wife is training for the moonwalk so helping her with that.

I decided to try herbalife as a friend gave me a supply cheap, and for the first month, was having a shake for breakfast and lunch, lots of fruit and then a main meal of lean meat, veg and wholewheat rice or pasta.
I've changed the lunchtime shake to a brown bread sandwich (ham salad normally), and when I run out of shakes will just have cereal for breakfast.

I was 22st 11lb when I started , and am now at 21st 2lb. I go to Florida in October so want to lose another 2 stone by then.

I've cut lager out in general (apart from pre-hibs games) and drink vodka, lime and soda instead, and still have the occasional treat (went to TGI Fridays for lunch today)

It's hard work, but its great getting into smaller clothes and having people notice the difference.

As others have said, just keep going and you'll soon notice the difference. You'll certainly feel more energetic and healthier.

Sounds good and just keep it up. I need to crack on with my 127 mile walk so need to up my training. The 3 yorkshire peaks is around 24 miles so that will be good training. Keep setting goals as this always helps me and if you ever fancy a challenge get on the 3 peaks and i'll do it with you. :aok:

Link here for anyone... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Three_Peaks

DH1875
06-05-2013, 12:42 AM
What is your diet consisting of?

If it's me your asking it's basically a diet off chicken, pasta and couscous. Can out the window as given up and had a blow out today as been on plenty of alcohol today :brickwall

Pete
06-05-2013, 01:14 AM
If it's me your asking it's basically a diet off chicken, pasta and couscous. Can out the window as given up and had a blow out today as been on plenty of alcohol today :brickwall

Reduce things like pasta, couscous and bread. Up your intake of meat like chicken and beef and supplement it with a veg, veg and more veg.

Working out every day will not do you any good as you will never give your body any time to recover.

Follow this running plan: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/get-started-schedules/30.html and go to the gym twice a week if you have to. If you've not enough time then don't go to the gym and do a small burst consisting of press-ups, ab exercises and other core strengtheners.

Running is the key to losing weight. A look at something called the paleo diet will also give you an idea of an alternative, carb-free way of eating. I followed it for a while and lost weight. It's quite hard to keep up but even minimizing foods that are banned on the diet really does help.

Allant1981
06-05-2013, 09:22 AM

i eat this when im on a bulking diet so if its weight loss your after you should maybe alter your diet

Wembley67
06-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Short term diet's are no good for you and can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing...it's dead simple, don't eat crap, eat clean and take exercise using a combination of cardio and resistance 3-4 times a week.

Whatever you do, don't fork out to join 'websites' that offer you a miracle cure - there is no such thing apart from hard work :aok:

HH81
06-05-2013, 07:32 PM
I have just walked 28 miles today, so much pain.

Jay
06-05-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm just back from a brilliant bootcamp session. Half an hour of trail, which is obviously mainly running but we break to do partner work where your partner planks, squat jumps or something similar while you run up a hill and back, then swap over, then we did half an hour of circuits which was 20 seconds on then 10 seconds rest (5 reps) Exercises were mountain climbers, kettle squats, press ups etc. Finished off with a run where you have a bungee rope round your waist and your partner has to pull you back.

Loved it! Far far better than any gym session you'll ever do imo

Wembley67
06-05-2013, 07:52 PM

Wait until tomorrow and the day after :greengrin

I'm just back from a brilliant bootcamp session. Half an hour of trail, which is obviously mainly running but we break to do partner work where your partner planks, squat jumps or something similar while you run up a hill and back, then swap over, then we did half an hour of circuits which was 20 seconds on then 10 seconds rest (5 reps) Exercises were mountain climbers, kettle squats, press ups etc. Finished off with a run where you have a bungee rope round your waist and your partner has to pull you back.

Loved it! Far far better than any gym session you'll ever do imo

Bootcamps are the business, as I said, hard work will knock the spots of any fad diet - well done Mrs S :cb

Pretty Boy
06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Get yourself down to a boxing club.

Not boxercise but an actual boxing club. Best workout you will get and anything less than maximum effort won't be accepted.

Craig McEwan, decent pro and good Hibby, does sessions a few times a week at Clovenstone boxing club that are excellent. Oneof the Proclaimers laddies is there quite often and is a well rated prospect.

HH81
06-05-2013, 07:56 PM

Bootcamps are the business, as I said, hard work will knock the spots of any fad diet - well done Mrs S :cb

:greengrin My sunburn is bad today, legs ok just my feet really.

Jay
06-05-2013, 08:14 PM

Thanks Wembs. Was doing 3 a week but the wee boys got midweek games just now so i have had to drop it to two. I lost six stones with diet and exercise, it only took a year and i have kept it off for a year (i put a stone back on due to steroids but working at losing it again). I am a bit of an exercise junkie these days :-)

DH1875
06-05-2013, 09:18 PM
i eat this when im on a bulking diet so if its weight loss your after you should maybe alter your diet

And there was me thinking I was doing good :confused:. Any tips on what I should be eating would be great :aok:.

Wilson
07-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Not boxercise but an actual boxing club. Best workout you will get and anything less than maximum effort won't be accepted.

Craig McEwan, decent pro and good Hibby, does sessions a few times a week at Clovenstone boxing club that are excellent. Oneof the Proclaimers laddies is there quite often and is a well rated prospect.

Tough training regime for him though. First he walks 500 miles and then he walks 500 more.....

Thank you, I'm here all week.

danhibees1875
07-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Tough training regime for him though. First he walks 500 miles and then he walks 500 more.....

Thank you, I'm here all week.

:hahaha:

DH1875
07-05-2013, 06:37 PM

How long would something like that take you and how many calories would that roughly burn?

CallumLaidlaw
07-05-2013, 07:08 PM
How long would something like that take you and how many calories would that roughly burn?

I done 14 miles a couple of weeks ago and it took me 4 hours. My mapmywalk app reckon I burned 2800 calories.
I done 9 miles today. It took me 2.5 hours and the app reckoned 1800 calories

Sylar
07-05-2013, 07:49 PM
I done 14 miles a couple of weeks ago and it took me 4 hours. My mapmywalk app reckon I burned 2800 calories.
I done 9 miles today. It took me 2.5 hours and the app reckoned 1800 calories

Perhaps herein is a solution for me...

I walk nearly everywhere but haven't had any form of proper exercise in the best part of 5 years. I've spent most of the past 3 sitting on my backside writing a thesis and decided in the past week that I'd try and rectify this.

Decided to time my mile and a half run (I was curious after a friend of mine who is going through the police tests told me his time) as to how I would fare and I was closer to 20 minutes than 10...having done absolutely zero exercise for so long, I was honestly quite pleased I managed to finish but it wasn't fun, my chest felt like it was going to burst and I felt properly sick afterwards.

Going to keep trying the next few weeks to see how much I can improve the time by though as I'm persistent if nothing else!

DH1875
07-05-2013, 08:20 PM
If it were only a mile and a half I could easily walk it in 20 mins. Couldn't run it though. When I try to run the front of my legs (around the shin area) get really sore, so much so I need to stop. Annoying thing is my breathing is fine and my lungs could do more but the pain gets so bad. Even went to the docs about it the other week as I've got three bubbles that have appeared running up my shin. Their not hard like bone but squishy. Doc said he didn't know what it was which was really helpful :rolleyes:.

HH81
07-05-2013, 09:54 PM

Half 7 to half 4 including stops for lunch and few small stops along way.

Sylar
08-05-2013, 07:51 AM
If it were only a mile and a half I could easily walk it in 20 mins. Couldn't run it though. When I try to run the front of my legs (around the shin area) get really sore, so much so I need to stop. Annoying thing is my breathing is fine and my lungs could do more but the pain gets so bad. Even went to the docs about it the other week as I've got three bubbles that have appeared running up my shin. Their not hard like bone but squishy. Doc said he didn't know what it was which was really helpful :rolleyes:.

I'm the same in the sense that I feel I could do it quicker when walking.

Sounds like you have shin splints which are bloody brutal - try getting a pair of slightly elevated (heeled) running shoes or get an insole for your shoes.

DH1875
08-05-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm the same in the sense that I feel I could do it quicker when walking.

Sounds like you have shin splints which are bloody brutal - try getting a pair of slightly elevated (heeled) running shoes or get an insole for your shoes.

Yeah, I thought it might be shin splints but surely the doc would have picked up on that. It's a total pain in the ass as their fine when I'm walking, rowing, using the cross trainer etc.... The minute I start running they start to get sore and the pain just gets worse and worse. Was down the basketball courts the other day and even then I couldn't run more than 5 mins and my jump shot is terrible as I'm thinking of the landing. This is NOT GOOD with summer just around the corner. On the plus side, on the football pitch I've turned into the Scottish Carlos Valderrama :greengrin.

Jay
08-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Shin splints are a nightmare. I find paracetamol and voltarol gel works best. Doesnt cure it but will get you through a run relatively pain free. Lots of ice and stretches, kneel on the floor with the top of your feet on the floor and your heels under your bum - does that make sense? Its a good shin stretch.

DH1875
08-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Shin splints are a nightmare. I find paracetamol and voltarol gel works best. Doesnt cure it but will get you through a run relatively pain free. Lots of ice and stretches, kneel on the floor with the top of your feet on the floor and your heels under your bum - does that make sense? Its a good shin stretch.

Have you got bumps/lumps on your leg? I've got three squishy ones going right up the side of my shin.

sambajustice
08-05-2013, 03:34 PM

If you turn up to one of these boxing clubs can you just do the training or are you actually expected to get in the ring at some point along the way??

Pretty Boy
08-05-2013, 06:14 PM
If you turn up to one of these boxing clubs can you just do the training or are you actually expected to get in the ring at some point along the way??

You can just train.

You will probably get the option to spar but there's no obligation to do so.

overdrive
08-05-2013, 07:15 PM
I do Burn it bootcamps, they changed my life completely, add in Scottish Slimmers and jobs a goodun. I lost mega amounts of weight and have stayed at a good weight now for a year despite personal and health issues.

Boot camps are definitely the way to go. I was going to an indoor one for 4 months and the change in my body was significant. Gave it up as it was too expensive though. Towards the end I started noting down the routines and now I do them in the garden.

If the OP is interested, Google 'bootcamp workouts' or something along those lines to get some pointers.

DH1875
08-05-2013, 08:58 PM
You can just train.

You will probably get the option to spar but there's no obligation to do so.

Is it just full of young guys though?

Pretty Boy
08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Is it just full of young guys though?

Suppose it depends how you define young.

When I was quite a regular attender I was far from the youngest and i'm in my mid to late 20s. Theres a few young lads f about 17/18 but a few well into their 30s as well.

Since90+2
10-05-2013, 02:07 PM
As others have said there is really no easy route to getting fit / in shape.

About 4 years ago I started going to the gym and I struggled to run for more than 10 minutes at a time and now I can do 10km in under 45 mins.

Mix up cardio and weight / resistance training as this stops the body from getting used to a routine and constantly change your runs from fast and short to long and slow ect. Initially your appetite will go through the roof after excecise but this will decrease after a few months.

Keep at it as the rewards are definately worth it :aok:

Sylar
15-05-2013, 03:45 PM
I joined our Sports Park last week and have felt small benefits already!

I've gone for an hour swim two mornings this past week, been to the gym three times (once to get a program set and run through) and combined cario/resistance/weights for an hour period each time and also been rock climbing twice for a total of 4 hours.

Combined with a good diet down here and no other distractions, I'm convinced I'll see results pretty quickly!