PDA

View Full Version : Gym Memberships

The_Todd
28-04-2013, 05:59 PM
The girlfriend and I are about to put an offer in for a house in South Gyle, and one of the local amenities would be David Lloyd. We're currently Edinburgh Leisure members, paying £40-45 each per month, but I was wondering if anyone knew how much a membership at David Lloyd at the Gyle was? I know they do couples memberships as well. Problem is, David Lloyd seem to be intent on hiding this useful information which makes me wonder if they just charge whatever they like at the time. I can't think of any other reason for not advertising these fees.

So, anyone here a member there and does anyone have a couples membership there? I know it's going to be expensive, but I'm aware of the superior facilities and if I will be a 5minutes walk from it then it could be very handy.

speedy_gonzales
28-04-2013, 06:14 PM
I used to have a joint membership at DL on Glasgow Road many years ago. Back then, around 5 years ago it cost something like £110 a month. That was for gym & swim, not racquet sports.
The outside pool was great in the summer, surprisingly for Scotland we got quite a lot of use out of it!
There was quite a good social side to the place, quiz nights etc. The food & drink was pretty decent, we'd often take our then 4yr old for her dinner before we got home.
The fact that there are places up town that charge as low as £9.99 for gym only makes it pretty difficult to justify the DL price, even though it's just across the park from us too!

Wembley67
28-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Worth having a look at the that was formerly the Edge...http://www.energiefitnessclubs.com/edinburgh/

Holmesdale Hibs
28-04-2013, 08:38 PM
I heard Martin Lewis saying that gyms are quite open to negotiations when it comes to memberships, particularly at the end of the month when they may not have met their sales targets.

From personal experience it works. I recently joined a gym but tried all the 'ah, I'm not sure, bit expensive, don't think I'll use...' And they gave me a student membership. Strangley this was at the end of the month and I saw the Martin Lewis show a few days after.

sleeping giant
29-04-2013, 05:26 PM
My boy was asking if he could join my gym. He's 13. I asked the woman and was told he'd need to pay 30 quid joining fee and 10 for induction.
I asked if he could just pay for a one off single session as he just wanted to try it but was declined.
Miserable burgers.

Haymaker
29-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Bloody expensive, in my UK gym it is £40 a month but my larger, cleaner and newer equipt gym in the US is $10 a month, that is roughly £6!

The_Todd
03-05-2013, 05:14 PM
I tweeted this very question to David Lloyd and they just replied with some vague nonsense. I probably won't bother then, I can't be doing with companies who try to hide things and can't be transparent. I'm more than happy with Edinburgh Leisure (and their transparent and up front fees), David Lloyd would have just been convenient for the new house.

Jones28
04-05-2013, 10:01 AM
DL are really expensive. My dad was paying £200 odd a month for a membership for a family of 4. Crazy money