PDA

View Full Version : Half time talk from Fenlon

HibeeEmma
13-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Forget Martin Luther King and Churchill, this speech must have been something else.

:flag:

lyonhibs
13-04-2013, 04:55 PM
To be honest, I hope it wasn't particularly erudite or complex, simply a stream of expletives to put the required rocket up the ***** of players who were being schooled by a team of teenagers (and Darren Dods) from the division below.

Whatever it was, it worked, though I imagine Messrs Luther King and Churchill can rest easy :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
13-04-2013, 04:56 PM
He must have been livid, and gave them a rocket, one would think.....It certainly worked along with changing our formation....

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Must have got torn right into them eh! Sent them out early aswell! Must have a hidden tape of Rafas half time team talk in the champions league final when liverpool were getting beat 3-0!

BEEJ
13-04-2013, 04:59 PM
I doubt it had much to do with PF blistering the paint in the dressing room at HT and much more to do with his switching to a 4-4-2 formation, which he should have started with.

That first half was as abject and clueless a Hibs performance as I have witnessed.

Vault Boy
13-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Forget Martin Luther King and Churchill, this speech must have been something else.

:flag:

The players all said in their interviews that he just blew his top, but rightfully so. He questioned their courage and determination and made all the important tactical and player changes needed to win. He gets slaughtered for his tactics quite often (rightfully so at times) but Fenlon pulled off something massive at half time. We made it needlessly hard for ourselves, but credit where credit is due, that turn around was something else.

hibee_girl
13-04-2013, 05:00 PM
The players all said in their interviews that he just blew his top, but rightfully so. He questioned their courage and determination and made all the important tactical and player changes needed to win. He gets slaughtered for his tactics quite often (rightfully so at times) but Fenlon pulled off something massive at half time. We made it needlessly hard for ourselves, but credit where credit is due, that turn around was something else.

Absolutely :agree:

We were all calling for Fenlon's head at half time but he deserves credit for turning it around, not sure many of our other managers could have done that!!

hibsbollah
13-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Fenlon pulled off something massive at half time.

Congratulations on a wonderful innuendo:aok:

And I agree with the point. Fenlon deserves credit for that second half. The man is a fighter.

HiBremian
13-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Make hair dryers, not speeches.

Baldy Foghorn
13-04-2013, 05:19 PM

We were all calling for Fenlon's head at half time but he deserves credit for turning it around, not sure many of our other managers could have done that!!

He does deserve credit for the turnaround, but he must dicth this 4-5-1 formation....

And I agree with the point. Fenlon deserves credit for that second half. The man is a fighter.

He was certainly on the canvass at half time, but got back up and then some....Thinking about singing Eye of the Tiger now:cb

CallumLaidlaw
13-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Only thing ill say is, the last couple of games where we HAVE played 4-4-2 (Monday night vs St Johnstone for example) we've been poor. Yes it worked today but fenlons panicked when it hasn't worked ad switched back to the safe 4-5-1

shamo9
13-04-2013, 05:28 PM
I doubt it had much to do with PF blistering the paint in the dressing room at HT and much more to do with his switching to a 4-4-2 formation, which he should have started with.

That first half was as abject and clueless a Hibs performance as I have witnessed.

I disagree. The switch in formation obviously helped a great deal, no question, but Fenlon and us the fans were let down horribly by some half-hearted 'performances' in the first half. Pish tactics does not excuse players giving less than 100%. Guys like Cairney and Robertson need to have a serious look at themselves. Some of their attempts at challenging for the ball was almost unforgivable.

On a more positive note well done to Handling and Harris for showing guts on the big occasion:flag:

TornadoHibby
13-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I disagree. The switch in formation obviously helped a great deal, no question, but Fenlon and us the fans were let down horribly by some half-hearted 'performances' in the first half. Pish tactics does not excuse players giving less than 100%. Guys like Cairney and Robertson need to have a serious look at themselves. Some of their attempts at challenging for the ball was almost unforgivable.

On a more positive note well done to Handling and Harris for showing guts on the big occasion:flag:

Robertson hasn't kicked a ball since he arrived at Hibs and Cairney looked well off the pace of the game IMO! :agree:

Harris and Handling showed that, given a chance in the team, they can be very effective and exciting Hibs players!!

BEEJ
13-04-2013, 05:34 PM
:agree: Showed more skill and endeavour than most of their more senior team-mates.

degenerated
13-04-2013, 05:39 PM
To be honest, I hope it wasn't particularly erudite or complex, simply a stream of expletives to put the required rocket up the ***** of players who were being schooled by a team of teenagers (and Darren Dods) from the division below.

Whatever it was, it worked, though I imagine Messrs Luther King and Churchill can rest easy :greengrin

A fair amount of violent sexual imagery would be involved I would imagine.

Liberal Hibby
13-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Fenlon out, Fenlon in!

Vault Boy
13-04-2013, 06:14 PM

I reworded it a number of times but couldn't put it any other way. :greengrin

Eyrie
13-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Only thing ill say is, the last couple of games where we HAVE played 4-4-2 (Monday night vs St Johnstone for example) we've been poor. Yes it worked today but fenlons panicked when it hasn't worked ad switched back to the safe 4-5-1

The difference is that we played 4-4-2 with pace today rather than the usual laboured build up.

NOLA
13-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Fenlon out, Fenlon in!
:applause:

IainA
14-04-2013, 08:36 PM
The difference is that we played 4-4-2 with pace today rather than the usual laboured build up.

Exactly. In the first half the team were second to every ball and had absolutely no pace. Just shows what a good kick up the back side can do. Before the final I would suggest Pat Fenlon blotters their bums first! :thumbsup:

Billy Whizz
14-04-2013, 08:38 PM
The wide players Harris and Handling played with energy. Maybe we need a few other younger players in our team

FranckSuzy
14-04-2013, 08:46 PM
The wide players Harris and Handling played with energy. Maybe we need a few other younger players in our team

:agree: IMHO, the reason Handling and Harris (not forgetting Leigh and Jorge) were the better players was due to them seemingly having no fear. The rest seemed to let the occasion get to them, a la last years final. Like rabbits caught in the headlights AGAIN :rolleyes:. Hopefully, this can be ironed out before the final :pray: and the first half performance can be used as a learning tool.

Jonnyboy
14-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Robertson hasn't kicked a ball since he arrived at Hibs and Cairney looked well off the pace of the game IMO! :agree:

Harris and Handling showed that, given a chance in the team, they can be very effective and exciting Hibs players!!

Which makes you wonder why he was brought in from the cold to start the game? I'll get pelters from some because of this but I'd have had Spoony in rather than him

Billy Whizz
14-04-2013, 08:51 PM
:agree: IMHO, the reason Handling and Harris (not forgetting Leigh and Jorge) were the better players was due to them seemingly having no fear. The rest seemed to let the occasion get to them, a la last years final. Like rabbits caught in the headlights AGAIN :rolleyes:. Hopefully, this can be ironed out before the final :pray: and the first half performance can be used as a learning tool.

Too pedestrian early on. These 2 lifted the pace and the whole team were able to play further up the park

Aldo
14-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Defenders are scared of guys running at the with pace. Once you get into the final 3rd be direct and you will reap the rewards.

Give Harris and Handling more of a run out. Sorry but you cannot bring Done back into the after they both did so well.

...WentToMowAnSPL
14-04-2013, 08:58 PM
I really want to see both Handling and Harris get a run out in the league : no fear

Viva_Palmeiras
15-04-2013, 12:41 AM
New feem toon for Sect43

http://youtu.be/xkwmIDx9RwQ

matty_f
15-04-2013, 12:52 AM

I disagree, the sluggish way the players started had far more to do with the shambles in the first half than simply the formation. I looked at the team before the game and was happy with the selection, unfortunately the players were miles off the pace. The goals we conceded did not come due to us being tactically wrong, they came from slack individual play punished by good play from Falkirk.

The change in personnel along with the change in formation helped, but more than that the fact the players got their collective fingers oot and worked their socks off. The midfield closed down much quicker, the movement of the players was better, mostly the desire and the will to win was there.

I think it's easy to point to 442 as the reason we've won, but that's far too simplistic IMHO. I feel that if the players had been so sluggish in the second half, the formation wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference.

truehibernian
15-04-2013, 01:13 AM
To be brutally honest, we went 4-2-4 for most of the 2nd half and ET - hence we were penned into their box most of the time - added to that McGivern in particular of the two full backs pressed on, something we should be doing more of from the back.

Albeit it was lower division opposition I honestly think that the second half in particular was the best football Hibs have played all season. Skill, pace, work rate, aggression, arrogance and unrelenting. We scored three goals from 25-30 yards, our 3 front men scored, the pressure was off Leigh being the sole outlet.

For me though the Ben Williams save at 0-3 was the most important aspect of the match. That had gone in we wouldn't be in the final.