PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Green - the racist

1two
08-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Charles Green has been branded a racist by SRTRC.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22064369

Charlie, you're a racist **** and This gives us another reason not to like you

NOLA
08-04-2013, 05:34 PM
he should go back to his own country the clown :clown:

yeezus.
08-04-2013, 05:36 PM
He is at the right club then :rolleyes:

hibee_nation
08-04-2013, 05:37 PM
He always said he was the type of man to call a spade a spade. :greengrin

hibee_nation
08-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Mind you their fans did used to sing " Oh i'd rather be a P*^i than a Tim"

Cabbage East
08-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Someone linked to The Sun story and he called the guy a paki, they totally glossed over it. They're perfectly matched.

The_Todd
08-04-2013, 06:27 PM
He's a proper Rangers man.

Hibs Class
08-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Bostonhibby
08-04-2013, 06:30 PM
What? Cheeky Charlie a racist? Cannae see it myself, there's surely nae money to be scammed from racism?

Odious wee man, ideally placed where he is.

lyonhibs
08-04-2013, 06:33 PM
My Mum said that she though the local Chinky was very good and reasonably priced. Should she be expecting a knock at the door?

Has anyone actually asked the man whom Mr Green called a Paki if he himself is offended, or is this a lot of (I imagine) predominantly white people getting hot under the collar about a word that - in the context - wasn't used in a racist fashion?

Just playing Devil's Advocate likesay :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
08-04-2013, 06:46 PM
I wonder if anyone has a picture of other racists linked to clubs associated with dodgy financial dealings?

Bostonhibby
08-04-2013, 06:48 PM
My Mum said that she though the local Chinky was very good and reasonably priced. Should she be expecting a knock at the door?

Has anyone actually asked the man whom Mr Green called a Paki if he himself is offended, or is this a lot of (I imagine) predominantly white people getting hot under the collar about a word that - in the context - wasn't used in a racist fashion?

Does that make you a satanist?

Hibeesforever
08-04-2013, 06:50 PM

You shouldn't because the country is trying to move on and improve itself. The lady on Radio Scotland, for example, gave a very sensible summation as to why chat like this is really just bullying and not appropriate from a football club spokesman. You can play Devil's Advocate all you want but fortunately there are still enough good men who will counter the, its okay, viewpoint and say something to keep guys like you and Mr Green in their place. I would like to think that there are fans of The Rangers that would do the same; recent history would suggest they have a long way to go but getting rid of Chick Green would be a start.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-04-2013, 06:51 PM

Indeed, I believe its all about the context in these situations, obviously "Paki B" would have different connotations.

RIP
08-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Just out of interest has anyone got a Pakistani mate who objects to being called a Paki? I was born in Scotland. Some people call me a Scot

Phil D. Rolls
08-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Indeed, I believe its all about the context in these situations, obviously "Paki B" would have different connotations.

It's up to his friend t o decide if its racist.

500miles
08-04-2013, 06:59 PM
"Paki" is a term that has been used to slur people of many cultures, united by a certain skin colour. I have heard it used against light skinned Africans, Indians, Iranians, etc.

It's connotations are racist, and openly known to be such. Pretending otherwise is foolish, and whatever in-jokes you and your friends may have, you have to be pretty stupid to go throwing it about publicly.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-04-2013, 07:10 PM

That seems fair enough.

HibeeN
08-04-2013, 07:27 PM

I disagree, the poster below sums up the reason why:

"Paki" is a term that has been used to slur people of many cultures, united by a certain skin colour. I have heard it used against light skinned Africans, Indians, Iranians, etc.

It's connotations are racist, and openly known to be such. Pretending otherwise is foolish, and whatever in-jokes you and your friends may have, you have to be pretty stupid to go throwing it about publicly.

:agree: Just because a friend might not find it offensive doesn't mean the term itself isn't racist - it still has the same connotations. More to the point, Green didn't just say it to his friend. He said it to a national newspaper. If it was just between him and his friend an his friend didn't care then there wouldn't be a problem, but as a public figure speaking in a national newspaper, it gives the impression that this type of language is acceptable when it's not.

cabbageandribs1875
08-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Mr Green said that he "deplores" racism and sectarianism, while accusing the organisation of a "knee-jerk reaction".

laugh ? i nearly ******* cried :faf: anyone involved at bigotbrox is sectarian by default

truehibernian
08-04-2013, 07:38 PM

Not under current legislation FR - anyone, including the 'victim', can make a complaint against Green should they wish to - if they find it offensive in nature and racially aggravated. In other words, if you are in the queue at Tesco and you hear Mr X call Mr Y what Mr Green said - you can make a complaint to the police - it doesn't have to come from the person the insult was directed at (Mr Y).

Green could technically still be charged and reported for his comments if someone were to make a complaint (finding his alleged comments offensive - which they most certainly are by the way).

Beefster
08-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Just out of interest has anyone got a Pakistani mate who objects to being called a Paki? I was born in Scotland. Some people call me a Scot

This argument is often put forward. Scot, in general, isn't (or hasn't in the past) used as a derogatory term for all white people.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Mr Green said that he "deplores" racism and sectarianism, while accusing the organisation of a "knee-jerk reaction".

laugh ? i nearly ******* cried :faf: anyone involved at bigotbrox is sectarian by default

Think that you will find that what comes from the terracing at Hunbrox isn't sectarian. It is an expression of their background and history and is their democratic right to say it. That always made me feel better when getting a bleaching in the early 80's.

hibsbollah
08-04-2013, 07:46 PM

Nonsense. Anyone can (and should IMO) be offended by racism or racist language, regardless of who its aimed at. And that is also the legal position.

truehibernian
08-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Nonsense. Anyone can (and should IMO) be offended by racism or racist language, regardless of who its aimed at. And that is also the legal position.

Thing is bollah, lets see just how strong the now Police Service of Scotland are in taking Green to task - Leigh was reported for similar so I'd hope they take the same amount of interest through West :agree:

One day we will move out of the Mind Your Language mindset mate, one day :agree:

Elephant Stone
08-04-2013, 08:05 PM
I was born in Scotland. Some people call me a Scot

You for real?

Dashing Bob S
08-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Linguistically, 'Paki' or 'Chinky' should be not more racist terms than 'Scot', all are abbreviations of somebodies supposed country of origin. However, the term was used in a derisory, condescending way when we had the first influx of New Commonwealth immigration in the fifties and sixties, and it has continued to be. Green's comments are very much in this mold.

Baldy Foghorn
08-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Greene is an odious man.......

Interestingly he says that if anyone else said what he did within Ipox, they would be under an internal investigation......He really is a dangerously stupid man......

Paisley Hibby
08-04-2013, 09:29 PM

Do you think you're still living in the 1970s mate? That was considered a good wisecrack back then. You might want to update your patter a wee bit.

Oh, and just so you know in future, most of the folk in Scotland who get called that were born in Scotland. What's more, their ancestors mostly came here from The Punjab (that's in India by the way) or Bangladesh (also not Pakistan).

Vini1875
08-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Linguistically, 'Paki' or 'Chinky' should be not more racist terms than 'Scot', all are abbreviations of somebodies supposed country of origin. However, the term was used in a derisory, condescending way when we had the first influx of New Commonwealth immigration in the fifties and sixties, and it has continued to be. Green's comments are very much in this mold.

I don't think Scot would be the equivalent expression, it might be more like a Jock or even a sweaty as in sweaty sock. Not exactly racist, but a put down all the same.

LioNeilMessi
08-04-2013, 11:37 PM

:agree: This.

McHibby
09-04-2013, 12:04 AM
You shouldn't because the country is trying to move on and improve itself. The lady on Radio Scotland, for example, gave a very sensible summation as to why chat like this is really just bullying and not appropriate from a football club spokesman. You can play Devil's Advocate all you want but fortunately there are still enough good men who will counter the, its okay, viewpoint and say something to keep guys like you and Mr Green in their place. I would like to think that there are fans of The Rangers that would do the same; recent history would suggest they have a long way to go but getting rid of Chick Green would be a start.

This is how I feel, using words like 'paki/chinky' even if in a 'friendly' way is really not on. My mum still says them and I cringe when she does, it's not the bloody 1970's. I'd like to think we have (mostly) moved on from this. People, including my mother, sound like ignorant old dinosaurs when they talk this way.

Chibs
09-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Ignorant correct.
Stupid old man certainly.
Racist no.

cocteautwin
09-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Ignorant correct.
Racist no.

Ouch.

Not only did the man use the offensive and racist word once, but he used it again to explain himself. He didn't get it before and then even after it being pointed out to him that the word was racist and offensive in ANY context he still doesn't get it.

Charles Green, you are racist and you just don't get it.

Whos-the-poster
09-04-2013, 04:24 AM
Ignorant correct.
Racist no.

:confused: A huge chunk of racism comes from ignorance though

1two
09-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Yes, it is ignorant
But it's also racist

Those that need that explained are ignorant

Despite what we've been told, as a country we are ahead of most others when it comes to this topic.But we still need to point out to those, in a certain generation, the error of their ways- including some on here it appears.

Brizo
09-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Ignorant correct.
Racist no.

For too long ignorance and stupidity have been the default excuse position for racists and racist apologists (not that I am labelling you as that).

Society is constantly evolving and language is part of that. Terms which once could have escaped censure under that other default excuse position of "banter" can no longer do so. Growing up in the 70s we used to sit round the telly having a hee haw at Love thy nieghbour. That kind of stuff just isnt acceptable in the 21st century. Niether is Greens use of the word he used.

Phil MaGlass
09-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Has anyone on here actually talked to a Pakistani to find out if they are actually offended by the term Paki?

JohnStephens91
09-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Has anyone on here actually talked to a Pakistani to find out if they are actually offended by the term Paki?

Not solely Pakistani, but people from Bangladesh and India are called 'P***' and many rightfully find it offensive. And yes I have spoken to my friends who originate from that general area of the world. We live in 2013 and not the 70's.

truehibernian
09-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Numerous times mate, on courses which I've participated in and run, also with various equality groups and organisations. It's offensive - no argument or debate necessary in 2013 in my humble opinion. It's been highlighted for over a decade to employers and those that get diversity training, and football clubs have absolutely no excuse for not knowing what is and isn't acceptable through various campaigns run by the football authorities and other organisations.

This isn't in anyway a dig at you buddy - but I find it incredulous that people in this day and age don't know it's unacceptable. Just don't say it, it really is that simple. This 'term of endearment' argument that Green hides behind sticks in my throat to be frank.

JohnStephens91
09-04-2013, 09:02 AM

100% agree. One of my friends who is a Yam told me that some guys near him call Mehdi Taouil 'the P***' during the games and also amongst others 'Turban' which is disgusting.

Future17
09-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Yes and they are.

Regardless of how charming and matey CG thinks he is being, the vast majority of Pakistani people (and others of similar skin tone) in Scotland/Britain will have first become aware of the word "paki" as a term of abuse.

Apparently it is, thankfully, much less common these days than it previously was, but the current generation are still aware of how prevalent it was when their relatives moved here or were growing up here.

I really don't care about CG but he's an irrelevance and an attention-seeker, but I think more and more Rangers fans are starting to worry about him now based on his recent comments and plenty of previous.

Big_Franck
09-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Not solely Pakistani, but people from Bangladesh and India are called 'P***' and many rightfully find it offensive. And yes I have spoken to my friends who originate from that general area of the world. We live in 2013 and not the 70's.

I'm Scottish but I've been called English many times when i've been abroad. I'm guessing they call me that because i'm white and i'm from that area of the world. Is that racist?

JohnStephens91
09-04-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm Scottish but I've been called English many times when i've been abroad. I'm guessing they call me that because i'm white and i'm from that area of the world. Is that racist?

'P***' has racist connotations and has been used as a term to slur people of different cultures and backgrounds that have got not much more in common other than the colour of their skin. Everyone knows it is a racist and offensive word. It's miles away from someone abroad calling you English by accident rather than calling someone from Libya a 'P***' because of the colour of his skin.

Big_Franck
09-04-2013, 09:48 AM
'P***' has racist connotations and has been used as a term to slur people of different cultures and backgrounds that have got not much more in common other than the colour of their skin. Everyone knows it is a racist and offensive word. It's miles away from someone abroad calling you English by accident rather than calling someone from Libya a 'P***' because of the colour of his skin.

Is it miles away if I take offence to being called English? I don't think it is. Especially if it's in certain countries where the word English is used as an insult.

Not denying that the word p*** has racist connotations btw, and wouldn't defend the ****bag in charge of The Rangers for a second, I just find this kind of debate quite interesting.

JohnStephens91
09-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Is it miles away if I take offence to being called English? I don't think it is. Especially if it's in certain countries where the word English is used as an insult.

Not denying that the word p*** has racist connotations btw, and wouldn't defend the ****bag in charge of The Rangers for a second, I just find this kind of debate quite interesting.

It still is miles away as it is a genuine mistake. If someone calls you a Jock then you have reasonable grounds for complaint. As I've already noted you can be from Morocco right the way to Bangladesh which covers a large subsection of societies and cultures and still be called a 'P***' which is disgusting to say the least. It is much more than someone calling you English by accident, I often get called Welsh, Irish and English because of my accent despite having been born and raised in Edinburgh and I don't find it offensive.

I understand where you are coming from with the similarity between calling someone from Iraq a 'P***' and someone presuming you are English because you are from the same locality but this is decades of the term being used as a derogatory word. For what it is worth I have been racially abused before, a boy from Bangladesh at my high school called me a 'block of ******ed white chocolate' because I bumped into him by accident. I just laughed but reported it and it wasn't believed. That was racist being called English is not.

Phil MaGlass
09-04-2013, 10:09 AM

It was´nt a dig at anyone, just a general question,

JohnStephens91
09-04-2013, 10:14 AM
It was´nt a dig at anyone, just a general question,

I was just answering the question - sorry if it came across as me having a go at you :aok:

Phil MaGlass
09-04-2013, 10:17 AM
:aok:

lapsedhibee
09-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Do you think you're still living in the 1970s mate? That was considered a good wisecrack back then. You might want to update your patter a wee bit.

Oh, and just so you know in future, most of the folk in Scotland who get called that were born in Scotland. What's more, their ancestors mostly came here from The Punjab (that's in India by the way) or Bangladesh (also not Pakistan).

Your general point is right of course, but I think you err at the bolded bit.

Some of those ancestors you mention would definitely have come from Pakistan, as it was only in 1971 that East Pakistan became Bangladesh. Non? :dunno:

Hibercelona
09-04-2013, 10:29 AM
"Paki" is one of those words that has been used in a racist context for so long, that it has so much negative stigma attached to it.

If it had originally been intended as a genuine short for somebody from Pakistan, then I doubt the word would have been anywhere near a problem as it has turned out to be.

I've been guilty myself from using the word from time to time, but it was never intended as a racist slur, it was just a word that came out with all the other slang.

Killiehibbie
09-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Your general point is right of course, but I think you err at the bolded bit.

Some of those ancestors you mention would definitely have come from Pakistan, as it was only in 1971 that East Pakistan became Bangladesh. Non? :dunno:East Pakistan only existed for a few years. They might have considered themselves to be from Bengal.

Big_Franck
09-04-2013, 10:37 AM
It still is miles away as it is a genuine mistake. If someone calls you a Jock then you have reasonable grounds for complaint. As I've already noted you can be from Morocco right the way to Bangladesh which covers a large subsection of societies and cultures and still be called a 'P***' which is disgusting to say the least. It is much more than someone calling you English by accident, I often get called Welsh, Irish and English because of my accent despite having been born and raised in Edinburgh and I don't find it offensive.

I understand where you are coming from with the similarity between calling someone from Iraq a 'P***' and someone presuming you are English because you are from the same locality but this is decades of the term being used as a derogatory word. For what it is worth I have been racially abused before, a boy from Bangladesh at my high school called me a 'block of ******ed white chocolate' because I bumped into him by accident. I just laughed but reported it and it wasn't believed. That was racist being called English is not.

You presume it was a genuine mistake when i've been called English, and yet you seem to suggest that the word p*** is never used as a genuine mistake, and is always used with racist intent. FWIW it's not always been a genuine mistake when i've been called English, and it's been in countries where the word English is sometimes used as an insult.

Are you saying the word p*** is never mistakenly used to refer to someone who is actually from India, Bangladesh etc? I don't think that's right, and in fact i'd say that the majority of times that I hear it (which thankfully isn't often) it's not used with racist intent. It's ill-advised and outdated but I don't think it's right that we brand anyone who has ever used the word as a racist.

silverhibee
09-04-2013, 10:40 AM
If Charlie Green had any connection to Hibs he would have been detained and charged by the Police by now.

lapsedhibee
09-04-2013, 10:42 AM
East Pakistan only existed for a few years. They might have considered themselves to be from Bengal.

:agree: When referring to people from other countries with complicated histories perhaps it's better to stick to one catch-all term, such as "foreigners". #allverycomplex

JohnStephens91
09-04-2013, 10:44 AM
You presume it was a genuine mistake when i've been called English, and yet you seem to suggest that the word p*** is never used as a genuine mistake, and is always used with racist intent. FWIW it's not always been a genuine mistake when i've been called English, and it's been in countries where the word English is sometimes used as an insult.

Are you saying the word p*** is never mistakenly used to refer to someone who is actually from India, Bangladesh etc? I don't think that's right, and in fact i'd say that the majority of times that I hear it (which thankfully isn't often) it's not used with racist intent. It's ill-advised and outdated but I don't think it's right that we brand anyone who has ever used the word as a racist.

Referring to someone as Pakistani is the correct term, if they are from India and you ask if they are Pakistani they won't get offended. I don't see where the problem lies. 'P***' is the negative racist offensive slang and Pakistani is the correct term for a citizen of Pakistan or for someone who originates from Pakistan.

Keith_M
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
If Charles Green had a friend who was black, would he call him his 'Little N****r Friend'?

Despite the common use of this word among Rappers, it is without doubt Racist.

So, Chuckie, what's the difference?

Big_Franck
09-04-2013, 10:51 AM
If Charlie Green had any connection to Hibs he would have been detained and charged by the Police by now.

Does someone not have to make a complaint to the police for that to happen? :wink:

silverhibee
09-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Does someone not have to make a complaint to the police for that to happen? :wink:

No

TAHibby
09-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Since the word was used to me frequently when I was younger as a form of abuse, I can't help but find it disgusting that someone like Charles Green thinks it's ok. Beggars belief that he actually casually said it in front of media.

Winston Ingram
09-04-2013, 01:45 PM
The man is an idiot. The interview with STV last night was cringeworthy:agree:

Treadstone
09-04-2013, 01:51 PM
The man is an idiot. The interview with STV last night was cringeworthy:agree:

Especially as the journalist is sympathetic to Green and The Rangers, guaranteed to have seen the questions before interview started.

southsider
09-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Does anyone else think he done this to take the press away from his relationship with Whyte and possible illegal payment by Whyte to a member of the current board at Newco rfc,s family. Whilst i am not saying racist statements should not be investigated but Ahmed, Whyte and Green are as thick as thieves in this and it stinks.

Velma Dinkley
09-04-2013, 02:51 PM
None of my friends from Pakistan have a problem with the term - they describe themselves and their families as Paki, simply because it's an abbreviation of Pakistani. But they are well aware that certain people can use it in a derogatory way. Unfortunately, the people who use it in such a way can also use the word Pakistani in such a way. It is the meaning behind it that can be offensive rather than simply the word itself. It's similar to the term Jock - not initially intended to be racist but used by some over the years as a racist insult. I've been called Jock (and even Sweaty Sock) in a friendly way and a negative way. I have also been referred to as Scottish in both friendly and negative ways.

truehibernian
09-04-2013, 03:40 PM
James Traynor Esq, 'The Rangers' PR Machine - he's been awfy awfy awfy quiet..............what's wrong Jim, afraid to give an opinion.......sssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!

Quick to release petty statement after petty statement when the nasty nasty media are picking on the sweet little innocent 'The Rangers' eh ! Quick to release statements about Craig Whyte and the damage he is trying to inflict on their club !

After all, you'd think a club whose website's main page has their Asian commercial manager proudly advertising their 'business alliance' would be at pains to reassure fans all over the world that their owner/chairman is not a racist and apologise for the remarks attributed to him.....surely :aok:

VickMackie
09-04-2013, 03:40 PM
I know a couple of people from Pakistan. One who does the prayers all of the time and the other doesn't. Neither are offended by it.

The former said that its a compliment when called that by a friend. When i asked if he was offended he said, and I can't recall the exact translation, that pakistan means something like beautiful wide lands. Hence the compliment means beautiful.

Now that was between friends so who am I to accuse them of being racist or be offended by it?

Killiehibbie
09-04-2013, 04:22 PM
I know a couple of people from Pakistan. One who does the prayers all of the time and the other doesn't. Neither are offended by it.

The former said that its a compliment when called that by a friend. When i asked if he was offended he said, and I can't recall the exact translation, that pakistan means something like beautiful wide lands. Hence the compliment means beautiful.

Now that was between friends so who am I to accuse them of being racist or be offended by it?I thought it was an acronym made up of Punjab, Afghan and Kashmir.

CropleyWasGod
09-04-2013, 04:51 PM
I thought it was an acronym made up of Punjab, Afghan and Kashmir.

It's both. Good old Wikipedia....:greengrin

The name Pakistan literally means "Land of the Pure" in Urdu and Persian. It was coined in 1933 as Pakstan by Choudhary Rahmat Ali, a Pakistan Movement activist, who published it in his pamphlet Now or Never,[12] using it as an acronym ("thirty million Muslim brethren who live in PAKSTAN") referring to the names of the five northern regions of the Indian subcontinent: Punjab, North-West Frontier Province (Afghan Province), Kashmir, Sindh, and Baluchistan".[13][14][15] The letter i was incorporated to ease pronunciation and form the linguistically correct and meaningful name.[16]

RIP
09-04-2013, 07:35 PM
My friend Ilyas was born in Pakistan. He is a Paki and after asking him today - no he isn't offended by the term. My son is part Algerian. He has been called a Paki. He is offended.

I've had relationships with Italian, Afro Carribean and Asian girls. All were born in the UK.

Not once in 40 years have I found it neccessary to refer to a friend's race. WTF difference does it make to the price of eggs?

Phil D. Rolls
09-04-2013, 08:42 PM

There's no way he'd be chosing the half time music either. I shudder to think where it could all end.

NOLA
09-04-2013, 09:18 PM
My friend Ilyas was born in Pakistan. He is a Paki and after asking him today - no he isn't offended by the term. My son is part Algerian. He has been called a Paki. He is offended.

I've had relationships with Italian, Afro Carribean and Asian girls. All were born in the UK.

Not once in 40 years have I found it neccessary to refer to a friend's race. WTF difference does it make to the price of eggs?
are the eggs white or brown? :greengrin

Sir David Gray
09-04-2013, 11:16 PM
If his friend isn't bothered by it then I don't see the issue.

If he referred to someone else as a "Paki" and they were bothered by it then that would be a different story.

Far be it for me to defend Charles Green as I think he's a horrible individual but I can't get too excited by this story.

Keith_M
10-04-2013, 08:18 AM

I've had relationships with Italian, Afro Carribean and Asian girls.

You really should stay away from those kinda websites Gogs, you're gonna get your fingers burned :greengrin

HibeeN
10-04-2013, 08:29 AM
If his friend isn't bothered by it then I don't see the issue.

If he referred to someone else as a "Paki" and they were bothered by it then that would be a different story.

Far be it for me to defend Charles Green as I think he's a horrible individual but I can't get too excited by this story.

The issue is that he didn't just say it to his friend. He used racist language in a national newspaper. Anybody who reads it has the "right" to be offended, not to mention that the offhand way he uses it suggests that the term is acceptable when it's not. No doubt Green wasn't intending any malice but you'd think a person in his position would be less ignorant and naive to use the term in an interview with a newspaper.

PatHead
10-04-2013, 01:27 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22096229 Mr Lunny taking an interest

Jim44
11-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Tom English, quite rightly and justifiably, attacks Green in his Scotsman article this morning. However, his assertion that the racist words used by Green were 'odious, regardless of context' loses a bit of it's potency as he himself uses the actual words three times in his article. The actual words also appear in other Scotsman articles this morning. Do the pages of the Scotsman not come under the umbrella of 'context' Mr English?

vercol36
11-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Fairly blown away by the quality of STV's journalism here. I thought this stuff had died out a long time ago!

CropleyWasGod
11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Fairly blown away by the quality of STV's journalism here. I thought this stuff had died out a long time ago!

They have a lot of ground to make up after their horrendous showing in the RFC stakes, but it's a start. :greengrin

Prof. Shaggy
11-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Tom English, quite rightly and justifiably, attacks Green in his Scotsman article this morning. However, his assertion that the racist words used by Green were 'odious, regardless of context' loses a bit of it's potency as he himself uses the actual words three times in his article. The actual words also appear in other Scotsman articles this morning. Do the pages of the Scotsman not come under the umbrella of 'context' Mr English?

I'm sure Mr English would agree with you and point out that it's difficult to report the issue without quoting the words.

Jim44
11-04-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm sure Mr English would agree with you and point out that it's difficult to report the issue without quoting the words.

Nah. He's used the words once, why repeat them? 'Racist remarks' would suffice.

PeeKay
11-04-2013, 09:44 AM
For decades Scotland's best have ignored the vile filth that poured down the terraces at Ibrox, but now there is a stooshy because Chuckie uses the "P" word. I hope he is pursued with the same rigour that they have applied to Leigh (but not to Chookie Embra for some reason), but it will be a bit like Al Capone finally being banged up for tax evasion.

johnrebus
11-04-2013, 09:45 AM

So, is Tom English racist too then?

lapsedhibee
11-04-2013, 10:57 AM
So, is Tom English racist too then?

Since he's Irish and calls himself English, does that not make him something akin to the opposite of a choc ice? :dizzy:

Prof. Shaggy
11-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Emphasis, dear boy, emphasis.

I do think you're picking nits.

Jim44
11-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Emphasis, dear boy, emphasis.

I do think you're picking nits.

More like milking it. :greengrin

Prof. Shaggy
11-04-2013, 03:44 PM
More like milking it. :greengrin

Fair enough!

LeighLoyal
11-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Walt of Legned is also waysist. Told Green he should keep his opinions "quiet". I.E, it's okay to have such views but only air them when singing in the shower etc... Donald No Surrender Findlay QC can vouch for that.

Captain Trips
11-04-2013, 04:07 PM
For me if you do not like somebody simply because of their skin colour or where they are from then IMO you are a racist, the comment is a comment about race but doesnt make them racist, IMO of course.