PDA

View Full Version : Article on Sean Welsh (& U19s League/Cup Winners)

Keith_M
03-04-2013, 04:11 PM
I thought this (http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/hibs/ex-hibs-man-sean-welsh-makes-push-for-spl-1-2874489) was a good read. It's an article on Sean Welsh, now starring at Partick Thistle.

It struck a chord with me, as he said how surprised he is about the fact that only one of the League and Cup winning U19s made it at Hibs. I remember thinking at the time that we could see a lot of players making the step up and it was disappointing that never happened.

West hamBERNIAN
03-04-2013, 05:58 PM
I thought this (http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/football/hibs/ex-hibs-man-sean-welsh-makes-push-for-spl-1-2874489) was a good read. It's an article on Sean Welsh, now starring at Partick Thistle.

It struck a chord with me, as he said how surprised he is about the fact that only one of the League and Cup winning U19s made it at Hibs. I remember thinking at the time that we could see a lot of players making the step up and it was disappointing that never happened.

Im fairly sure we were all surprised and disappointed at the lack of players that came through from that side, especially when you consider the way the way the 1st team was going at the time. He unfortunately was unlucky with injuries, the only other player I remember getting a sniff of a chance was kurtis and he obviously never showed enough ability to make the grade. Same for the rest I presume. Sad but true.

BEEJ
03-04-2013, 06:00 PM

It's not a strictly accurate account, though. Callum Booth is only on loan at Livingston and is still effectively a Hibs player, albeit on the fringes of the squad. Scott Smith is in the same boat at Dumbarton

No reason at the moment why both won't receive new contracts at ER at the end of the season. Euan Moyes who was in that double-winning squad suffered serious injuries which hindered his progress; Kurtis Byrne was tried at ER first team level but didn't deliver (for whatever reason).

Also, as is always the case, the next clutch of promising youngsters was already moving through the academy and u-19s levels at the club. It's just not possible to bring them all through to first-team squad level.

matty_f
03-04-2013, 06:13 PM
David Wotherspoon also plays in the first team from that under 19 side.

number9dream
03-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Hanlon could have played in that team but was already established in first team squad.
Smith will be cut in the summer and I worry that Fenlon has made up his mind about Booth, who looked a real star in that team at just 17.
Welsh can consider himself unlucky with all his injuries and is a firm favourite with all two of the Jags fans I know.
Maybe we were too quick to release Taggart since right-back has been a problem area for us for years now...

Anyhoo, no point crying over spilled milk. Let's hope Harris, Handling, Horribine, Forster and some of the others get some game time after the split and see if we can bring through one or two...

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2013, 06:26 PM
David Wotherspoon also plays in the first team from that under 19 side.

He says only one made it at Hibs, surely he is referring to Spoony.

matty_f
03-04-2013, 07:35 PM

So he did. Paul Hanlon was also eligible for that team but was with the first team when the double was won.

FWIW, I thought Welsh had a great chance of making it at Hibs. He was really unlucky with injuries.

BEEJ
03-04-2013, 10:01 PM
:agree:

That's what I assumed.

djs69
03-04-2013, 10:03 PM
It read a bit like sour grapes to me , he wasn't good enough then, would probably walk into the team now though! ;-)

Keith_M
04-04-2013, 10:33 AM
It read a bit like sour grapes to me , he wasn't good enough then, would probably walk into the team now though! ;-)

TBH, there was a bit of that in the article. Though you do wonder about his comments about others he considers not as good as him getting picked for the first team. Considering some our our first team picks in the last few seasons, it's hard to argue. I worry about his comments about Fenlon's reasoning for letting him go, that he's planning to go with more experienced players. If true, that's worrying to me, as a club like Hibs should be looking to bring through younger talent.

He's doing very well in the 1st but we've seen that before with players unable to make the step up to SPL level. I suppose we'll find out more about his true level when they're promoted.

Stevie Reid
04-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Alex Harris has shown more in his fleeting appearances thus far since any youngster put into the team without an established reputation (unlike O'Connor, Riordan, Fletcher for example) since Scott Brown IMO. Still very early days but I get a buzz when he's on the ball.

(I know there was a story on Harris coming through in the EN a few months ago, including the fact that he went to Edinburgh Academy, and his Dad sadly passing, incidentally).

.Sean.
04-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Hanlon could have played in that team but was already established in first team squad.
Smith will be cut in the summer and I worry that Fenlon has made up his mind about Booth, who looked a real star in that team at just 17.
Welsh can consider himself unlucky with all his injuries and is a firm favourite with all two of the Jags fans I know.
Maybe we were too quick to release Taggart since right-back has been a problem area for us for years now...

Anyhoo, no point crying over spilled milk. Let's hope Harris, Handling, Horribine, Forster and some of the others get some game time after the split and see if we can bring through one or two...

I expect he'll certainly get another chance with Hibs.