Who the ****** are Chesterfield :faf:

LancsHibs
28-03-2013, 10:47 PM
https://twitter.com/search?q=Eoin%20Doyle&src=typd

http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=44853&st=100

No great loss to us if true, good luck to him

AFKA5814_Hibs
28-03-2013, 10:53 PM
If its a pre contract then it makes no difference.

I had just noticed that. Thought they could have signed players outwith the transfer deadline.

Funny reading how there fans cannot figure out the split, took a few years for most folk up here to fathom it. :greengrin

essexhibee
28-03-2013, 11:43 PM
No great loss ability wise although we don't have many options in the striking department.

Wilson
29-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Signed on potential. Looked to be forming a promising partnership with Griffiths but went off the boil. Doesn't fit the current system of one up front as he is no substitute for Leigh in that role.

Quality replacement required.

Just_Jimmy
29-03-2013, 01:40 AM
So, assuming sparky goes at seasons end we need three quality strikers next year.

VickMackie
29-03-2013, 06:18 AM
Good luck to him if he goes. Thought he's been decent and always played with a bit of heart IMO,

Keep performing for hibs though!

Beefster
29-03-2013, 06:23 AM
I feel bizarrely upbeat at this news. Presumably, we've told him that we won't be offering a contract so are looking for better.

3pm
29-03-2013, 06:38 AM
I'd keep him.

Brizo
29-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Doyle showed early promise and I thought that once the rough edges were knocked off he might be a real find. Unfortunately he hasnt progressed as i had hoped. Maybe the much maligned SPL was a step up in quality that was beyond him.

Good luck to him at Chesterfield. i thought he always gave 100% in a Hibs strip and while the quality was maybe missing the effort certainly wasnt.

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2013, 06:48 AM
I have seen a lot worse, but if this is true i'd imagine he's not been offered a new deal and Pat has his sights on better?

Jack
29-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Chesterfield :faf:

Who the ****** are Chesterfield :faf:

I think that's a bit unfair as more folk will have heard of Chesterfield than Hibs - albeit they think its some sort of couch.

I liked the laddies application to games but sadly his skill didn't match.

With regard to our style of play I'd really hope that as PF gets more of his own players in we'll play with two up front from the start.

hibsbollah
29-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Doyle showed early promise and I thought that once the rough edges were knocked off he might be a real find. Unfortunately he hasnt progressed as i had hoped. Maybe the much maligned SPL was a step up in quality that was beyond him.

Good luck to him at Chesterfield. i thought he always gave 100% in a Hibs strip and while the quality was maybe missing the effort certainly wasnt.

Thats a good post. When he first arrived he showed a lot of promise but as time went on he just showed he hasnt got the clinical finish in front of goal. He missed chances that would have won us games this season (tynecastle sticks out), but not the worst striker we've had.

DC_Hibs
29-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Good news for all and thankfully shows we are planning on signing a better standard of forward than Doyle.

Anyone wanting to keep him sums up the acceptance of mediocrity at Hibs in recent years. If he can't hit one goal every four games he's no good for us.
Granted he wasn't helped by playing out wide often.

Hopefully he is the first of many out the door with decent replacements in.

Geo_1875
29-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Good news for all and thankfully shows we are planning on signing a better standard of forward than Doyle.

Anyone wanting to keep him sums up the acceptance of mediocrity at Hibs in recent years. If he can't hit one goal every four games he's no good for us.

I think his strike rate is around 1 goal every 4 starts.

He's suffered from our change of formation as he's asked to play out of position.

I agree that we can let anybody go if their replacement is better but how often does that happen.

Billy Whizz
29-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Kevin Thomson said on his interview with Hibs TV, that Hibs couldn't offer him a short term contract, as the squad was at least 2 players too heavy. Looks like we'll need to shed a few more if we want to sign any players in the summer.
Pat also probably wanting to give Handling and Caldwell more of an opportunity next season

Jones28
29-03-2013, 07:32 AM
We need better tbh, I think Doyle is a clever footballer but just score enough goal. I know he's been played out of position lately and that doesn't help but if we are getting a better player to replace him then that's good.

Phil MaGlass
29-03-2013, 07:50 AM
We need better tbh, I think Doyle is a clever footballer but just score enough goal. I know he's been played out of position lately and that doesn't help but if we are getting a better player to replace him then that's good.

seems to be the Hibs way, play them out of position, let them go and they become better players because they are then played in their preferred position?
Atleast he is not going to another Scottish club only to come back and haunt us.

TrinityHibs
29-03-2013, 07:53 AM

The bit in bold. Doyle has an almost identical strike rate to GOC who didnt play out wide. Statistics huh!!

Heisenberg
29-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Doyle hasn't exactly played out of position, he's played out wide for the majority of his career has he not?

Aldo
29-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Would rather have Doyle than GOC

HH81
29-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Would rather have Doyle than GOC

Agree, i honestly thought Hibs would offer him a new deal. You have to think this maybe why his early season form has gone recently.

Green Fish
29-03-2013, 08:21 AM
If he goes so be it. Free up some wages (Doyle, Kuqi, Deegan, Kujabi), try and get better in and get the youngsters through.

J-C
29-03-2013, 08:26 AM
If he goes so be it. Free up some wages (Doyle, Kuqi, Deegan, Kujabi), try and get better in and get the youngsters through.

And Maybury.

Re Doyle as has been said, showed potential then dramatically went off the boil, we have players with potential in Handling, Caldwell etc and at his age we need players ready to come in and do a job now.

Stevie Reid
29-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Doyle hasn't exactly played out of position, he's played out wide for the majority of his career has he not?

Correct, was a winger up until his last season in Ireland.

I still think he has a lot to offer us, but if Pat sees fit to let him go, I trust him.

J-C
29-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I think Doyle is a useful player, unfortunately we've had too many useful players at ER and not enough quality ones, hence why he's going.

MB62
29-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Correct, was a winger up until his last season in Ireland.

I still think he has a lot to offer us, but if Pat sees fit to let him go, I trust him.

I thought he had his best games for us when out wide and would prefer him to Spoony out there, IMO.
I was looking forward to him getting a longer run out wide right but if he is to leave, I wont be loosing any sleep over it and wish him good luck in his future career.
Always give 100% when on the park.

Geo_1875
29-03-2013, 09:33 AM
It's all very well freeing up wages but that only allows us to bring in players of a similar ability. Unless we can work with a smaller, higher paid squad we're only going to get the same old same old. I think we need to use the players we have in a formation and style that gets the best out of them.

Scouse Hibee
29-03-2013, 09:40 AM
I said after a couple of games that he simply wasn't good enough and sadly I have seen nothing consistent to change my opinion. I had certainly hoped he would prove me wrong but he hasn't. Good luck to the lad if he does indeed move on, he has made a contribution to the cause with his goals and for that he should be applauded.

Craig_in_Prague
29-03-2013, 09:55 AM
I thought he had his best games for us when out wide and would prefer him to Spoony out there, IMO.
I was looking forward to him getting a longer run out wide right but if he is to leave, I wont be loosing any sleep over it and wish him good luck in his future career.

Yep, was outstanding against Celtic there in the 1-0 win....and also got in on goal once or twice, as well as doing a fine job going back and helping out the team without the ball.
Yet, I don't think he has played there since.

His finishing has been poor overall though (that game I mentioned, good chance at Tynecastle too spring to mind), and I hope Fenlon will work towards a 4-4-2 or at least more attacking side, Doyle hasn't done enough up front and if he doesn't seem him as a wide right player, then he will need replaced.

We are mince wide full stop, we need better, Wotherspoon can leave to for all I care.

If we genuinely want to punch our weight (or better), or be top 3 reguarly... and not go on these many weeks or months of 'bad days at the office' then we need a better standard of player, and be more consistent.

Andy74
29-03-2013, 09:56 AM
I like Doyle but you know, you could shift Doyle and Kuqi and bring in one player like Higdon with the likes of Caldwell and Handling in reserve.

Treadstone
29-03-2013, 10:10 AM
I said after a couple of games that he simply wasn't good enough and sadly I have seen nothing consistent to change my opinion. I had certainly hoped he would prove me wrong but he hasn't. Good luck to the lad if he does indeed move on, he has made a contribution to the cause with his goals and for that he should be applauded.

Agree 100%. Tried hard, but I wonder how many he would have scored played up beside a similar striker to himself and not Sparky, I shudder to think. Looking at the way this has unfolded looks as though PF believes he can get a better player in the summer.

frazeHFC
29-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Will be gutted to see him go, but if we sign a better striker then fair enough cos i do rate Doyle.

MB62
29-03-2013, 10:19 AM
It's all very well freeing up wages but that only allows us to bring in players of a similar ability. Unless we can work with a smaller, higher paid squad we're only going to get the same old same old. I think we need to use the players we have in a formation and style that gets the best out of them.

Nah, can't agree with that Geo_1875. That would mean that those clubs paying the highest salary have the best players, and we know from this season alone that this is not the case.
Managers will sign players for a variety of reasons, because they think the player is top notch, or because they need somebody in to provide cover, or because they short in a particular position and desperately need cover or whatever. The quality of player signed goes down to the scouting system, the persuavive nature of the manager. C.E. and then how that player is coached or used.
Letting players go from the squad allows the manager to maybe change his outlook on tactics for the months ahead, IF he has somebody else in mind, maybe the change is just needed to freshen things up.

Letting Doyle go for example, might allow this wage to be used to sign the guy from Falkirk, and who knows how that will work out for us. Doyle has been OK but nothing more, so a change is needed.
It can all be down to a bit of luck as much as anything else. One player not doing well at one club might just fit in at another and hit it off, and of course the same is true in reverse.

Using Doyle as the example again, what you are saying has a certain amount of truth in it in as much as his wage is not going to allow us to sign Wayne Rooney, but it might just allow us to FIND somebody that will turn out to be a star for us.

Hainan Hibs
29-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Don't mind him going as he hasn't been outstanding but I hope Fenlon has a few strikers on the radar or we could be asking Levein for tips about using the 4-6-0 formation.

MB62
29-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Don't mind him going as he hasn't been outstanding but I hope Fenlon has a few strikers on the radar or we could be asking Levein for tips about using the 4-6-0 formation.

I hate watching this one man up front system that Hibs play, and of course many others. Strachan took over the national side and recently said, he will find a system that suits the players he has and not try and mould players in to a system, yet the first two meaningful games we play, he has one up front whilst we have two strikers on the bench.

I am giving PF the benefit of still trying to build a team but if we persist with one man up front next season, then I can see me missing more and more games. I pay my dosh to watch Hibs score goals and hopefully win games, not trying to stop the opposition scoring and hoping to hit on the break, I don't get entertained with style of fitba.

Andy74
29-03-2013, 11:24 AM
I hate watching this one man up front system that Hibs play, and of course many others. Strachan took over the national side and recently said, he will find a system that suits the players he has and not try and mould players in to a system, yet the first two meaningful games we play, he has one up front whilst we have two strikers on the bench.

I am giving PF the benefit of still trying to build a team but if we persist with one man up front next season, then I can see me missing more and more games. I pay my dosh to watch Hibs score goals and hopefully win games, not trying to stop the opposition scoring and hoping to hit on the break, I don't get entertained with style of fitba.

Most major clubs seem to play this system now. It isn't really one man up, it's three at times so its not a problem, we just need better attacking players in those wide positions.

It's no more or less attacking than anything else in itself.

No one complains too much about the likes of Man U, Chelsea etc playing this way.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-03-2013, 11:36 AM
When he signed for us, it was very much a question of " who is this player?", and the answer to that was that he is a player that Pat Fenlon knows well. If that was the criteria that brought him to the club, if the manager doesn't think he should stay with us, then that is good enough for me.

Heedersnvolleys
29-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Got to agree with this, this is really the only time he was played as an out and out winger and played well. The other times it has been more of a wide forward to support LG. Especially when he comes on as sub.

jeffers
29-03-2013, 11:41 AM
I was a bit surprised that Lewis was given a new deal a few weeks ago but no mention of offers to any of the other players out of contract in the summer. If this is true about Doyle to Chesterfield I wonder who is in Paddy's plans for next season.

J-C
29-03-2013, 11:46 AM
I was a bit surprised that Lewis was given a new deal a few weeks ago but no mention of offers to any of the other players out of contract in the summer. If this is true about Doyle to Chesterfield I wonder who is in Paddy's plans for next season.

Not surprised at Lewis getting a deal as he's generally very reliable and plays in a variety of positions, very handy for a squad player, plus he won't be on huge wages too.

jeffers
29-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Not surprised at Lewis getting a deal as he's generally very reliable and plays in a variety of positions, very handy for a squad player, plus he won't be on huge wages too.

Sorry wasn't questioning the decision to give him a new contract (I think he deserves one) just why now ? I'm just wondering if that means the other players who are out of contract in the summer aren't in Paddy's plans ( the three main loanees excluded)

Winston Ingram
29-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Hope this isn't true. Big loss if he goes:agree:

IWasThere2016
29-03-2013, 12:10 PM
I like Doyle - but agree with #74 re him and Kuqi out and a proven SPL goalscorer in.

Told Doyle is on buttons at ER.

J-C
29-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Sorry wasn't questioning the decision to give him a new contract (I think he deserves one) just why now ? I'm just wondering if that means the other players who are out of contract in the summer aren't in Paddy's plans ( the three main loanees excluded)

Lewis's contract was up in the summer too, Pat has moved quickly to tie him to a new deal, I think the others he's been dwelling over re their form etc and that's why he's allowing Doyle to move on as he hasn't progressed enough to give him a new deal.

Apparently Kuqi was brought in due to his experience and good for the youth players, Kujabi meh, just naff, I think he's still pondering over Wotherspoon. He can be very good but his consistency is abysmal, you never know what your getting from one game to another.

MB62
29-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Most major clubs seem to play this system now. It isn't really one man up, it's three at times so its not a problem, we just need better attacking players in those wide positions.

It's no more or less attacking than anything else in itself.

No one complains too much about the likes of Man U, Chelsea etc playing this way.

If you have the midfield men who actually try and get in to the box in support, instead of getting a nose bleed when they cross the half way line, then yes, it can work. Unfortunately, Griffiths is almost always isolated on his own and if one of the wide guys, or rather 'bomber' Harris gets forward, he only has LG to try and find whilst the rest are sat back watching and wondering what will happen. This is either down to laziness from the players, bad coaching or managers tactics, whichever one it is, it is not good to watch.
We have struggled to score goals most of the season, not every teams defence is as generous as Killie's was in the cup, and if Leigh doesn't produce some of his magic, we struggle.

Aldo
29-03-2013, 01:15 PM
I like Doyle but you know, you could shift Doyle and Kuqi and bring in one player like Higdon with the likes of Caldwell and Handling in reserve.

If you told me that this could happen then I would gladly let him go.

Tbh Doyle is a very good player and has chipped in with some very important goals. Problem lies with Consistency!

Leishy1995
29-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Sodje just scored, would we have been better keeping him?

--------
29-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Sodje just scored, would we have been better keeping him?

My opinion, yes, as the one forward with Leigh playing between him and the midfield 4 in a 4-4-1-1. He would have been a much better deal than Kuqi.

Swedish hibee
29-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Good luck Doyle :aok:

My wee granny met him in town and he couldn't have been nicer to her. Good Lad.

Leishy1995
29-03-2013, 02:52 PM
My opinion, yes, as the one forward with Leigh playing between him and the midfield 4 in a 4-4-1-1. He would have been a much better deal than Kuqi.

He seemed happy at us and scored a good few goals aswell

500miles
29-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Doyle is a cracking player, who will be even better next year. We would be foolish to let him go.

Hibdan12
29-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I thought Sodje was great and Deserved at least an other another season with us. not bad scoring record for us either.

hibsbollah
29-03-2013, 03:24 PM
He would have been a much better deal than Kuqi.

This is not exactly a ringing endorsement, Doddie:cb

NOLA
29-03-2013, 04:04 PM
I think Doyle is a useful player, unfortunately we've had too many useful players at ER and not enough quality ones, hence why he's going.
Spot on. If he was good enough we'd have redone his contract months ago.

Golden Bear
29-03-2013, 04:15 PM

:agree:

I totally agree. Flair players don't seem to flourish at Hibs and it's becoming a worrying trend for kids trying to break through to the first team squad.

NOLA
29-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Spot on. If he was good enough we'd have redone his contract months ago.

Hibercelona
29-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Shame if he's going. Would be interested to know who these "better" players are that we have our sights on.

Although, I suspect it will be yet another punt in the dark.

Winston Ingram
29-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Doyle is a cracking player, who will be even better next year. We would be foolish to let him go.

seven nowt
29-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Doyle is a brilliant football player..I'd be devastated if he is off to Chesterfield. Really useful player and a big mistake if Fenlon sells him. One of the best strikers in the SPL is off to Chesterfield??

Andy74
29-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Shame if he's going. Would be interested to know who these "better" players are that we have our sights on.

Strange post that. Sad to see him go but also suggesting anyone we sign won't be good. So was Doyle a good signing or not?

HibbyDave
29-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Doyle..................... cherio

California-Hibs
29-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Doyle is a brilliant football player..I'd be devastated if he is off to Chesterfield. Really useful player and a big mistake if Fenlon sells him. One of the best strikers in the SPL is off to Chesterfield??

Behave! What the heck do you base that on because I could produce a fair few current SPL strikers who are far better than Doyle!

SMAXXA
29-03-2013, 06:44 PM

Arnt most of clubs signings a "punt in the dark" as you call it as very few SPL clubs sign proven quality players these days. Look at Celtics "punt in the dark" with some of the foreign players they have signed, and got very good returns from them. Was Gary M-Stevens a punt in the dark for UTD, yeah and look at him.

Nae offence but seems quite a pesamistic post bud.

Baldy Foghorn
29-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I really liked Doyle when he joined, he moved intelligently, and helped us build up some promising attacks.

That said, his form has dipped, and has not scored as many as he should have, he has had some really great opportunites to score, but has failed on a number of occasions to convert them......

Maybe low on confidence, or lack of composure, however, if PF decides that he is not worthy of a new deal, then so be it....He works with these guys day in day out, and sees much more than we do just on a Matchday......

JohnStephens91
29-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Doyle is a great down to earth guy and I also think he is a good footballer but he has just gone off the boil. He has scored 8 goals this season and that was the amount of league goals Griffiths netted last season yet everyone was excited to get him back. Maybe if us as a fanbase got excited about Doyle and his potential after his move then we may have seen a better goals return and spurred him on to improve further. You don't score 8 goals in the SPL if you are a mug or a poor player, I think a large minority of our support need to start to get a grip and realise that he is a good player who works his socks off for the team - a very valuable commodity to have.

MSK
29-03-2013, 06:56 PM
I really liked Doyle when he joined, he moved intelligently, and helped us build up some promising attacks.

That said, his form has dipped, and has not scored as many as he should have, he has had some really great opportunites to score, but has failed on a number of occasions to convert them......

Maybe low on confidence, or lack of composure, however, if PF decides that he is not worthy of a new deal, then so be it....He works with these guys day in day out, and sees much more than we do just on a Matchday......:agree:

Up The Bracket
29-03-2013, 07:05 PM
I'd prefer to keep him, but I won't be devastated to see him go.

He's a good useful SPL player who will grab a few goals, I'll be annoyed if we let him go and keep Deegan but if we can bring in better then maybe it's best for both parties.

Would rather he stays, but if he goes I wish him the best.

J-C
29-03-2013, 07:06 PM

I think the fact that Pat has come out recently stating he's spreading our scouting network, may mean better players coming in the summer.

lord bunberry
29-03-2013, 07:08 PM

I totally agree. Flair players don't seem to flourish at Hibs and it's becoming a worrying trend for kids trying to break through to the first team squad.

I would expect us to be playing with far more flair next season. Pat's not daft he knows were our weaknesses were from last season and he has gone a long way to addressing them this season. Next season will be the next stage were I expect a far more attacking formation. One things certain the fans won't accept another season of what we've had this season unless we win the cup that is, then he will be able to do what he likes

Craig_in_Prague
29-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Doyle is a great down to earth guy and I also think he is a good footballer but he has just gone off the boil. He has scored 8 goals this season and that was the amount of league goals Griffiths netted last season yet everyone was excited to get him back. Maybe if us as a fanbase got excited about Doyle and his potential after his move then we may have seen a better goals return and spurred him on to improve further. You don't score 8 goals in the SPL if you are a mug or a poor player, I think a large minority of our support need to start to get a grip and realise that he is a good player who works his socks off for the team - a very valuable commodity to have.

We need to support Pat and if he wanted Doyle longer, it seems people would have been quite content with that. The fact is Pat might bring in better and we need to trust & support our manager.
ps. whats a large minority.

Scouse Hibee
29-03-2013, 07:10 PM
So far I've read............ "Doyle is a cracking player".................."Doyle is a brilliant player".................................."One of the best strikers in the SPL"

I'm all for opinions but get real!

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Stringer
29-03-2013, 07:11 PM
I would expect us to be playing with far more flair next season. Pat's not daft he knows were our weaknesses were from last season and he has gone a long way to addressing them this season. Next season will be the next stage were I expect a far more attacking formation. One things certain the fans won't accept another season of what we've had this season unless we win the cup that is, then he will be able to do what he likes

The 4 5 1 formation isn't that defensive, it can be. But in theory it changes to a 4 3 3 when the defence moves into attack. I would like to see 4 2 3 1 next season - it's the formation of the future.

Heisenberg
29-03-2013, 07:16 PM
He's looked pretty average this season, certainly nothing special and there will be better players available I'd imagine. He's missed too many good chances too, maybe knocked his confidence a bit.

Edit; Also, maybe Hibs have offered him/hinted to him that he won't be a first choice player should he be kept on, probably wouldn't suit him to be second string.

sadtom
29-03-2013, 07:20 PM
I still think there is potential there. More importanly, i think he has a really good attitude and looks the type who could possibly improve gien some time.
I think he's worth holding on for another season to see how he develops.
I fear if we let him go he could be 'one that got away'.
As it stands he is still a better option than Handling/Caldwell/Kuqi. He should be going nowhere until a replacement is in place. It would be utter stupidity to let him go now in case LG gets an injury/suspension.

Thecat23
29-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Won't be hard to replace. He's certainly not a "brilliant" or "Cracking" player. He's actually miles from that. He was ok and this season been poor. If he goes and it frees up money to get someone else in I'm all for it. Over all bang average at best.

lord bunberry
29-03-2013, 08:11 PM
The 4 5 1 formation isn't that defensive, it can be. But in theory it changes to a 4 3 3 when the defence moves into attack. I would like to see 4 2 3 1 next season - it's the formation of the future.

I think your right its just that we don't have the attacking options in midfield at the moment but we have craig signed for next season and I would hope to see a few more like him. It would also be good if harris could continue to progress as that's like a free signing

hibee
29-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Loved reading that Chesterfield thread where they are all trying to work out how the league split works and why we do it, hope they let us know when they finally figure it out!

rcarter1
29-03-2013, 08:18 PM
I think the fact that Pat has come out recently stating he's spreading our scouting network, may mean better players coming in the summer.

Fundamentally pleasing.. :agree:

California-Hibs
29-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Won't be hard to replace. He's certainly not a "brilliant" or "Cracking" player. He's actually miles from that. He was ok and this season been poor. If he goes and it frees up money to get someone else in I'm all for it. Over all bang average at best.

..........Kenny Miller? :cb

JohnStephens91
29-03-2013, 08:53 PM
We need to support Pat and if he wanted Doyle longer, it seems people would have been quite content with that. The fact is Pat might bring in better and we need to trust & support our manager.
ps. whats a large minority.

I fully support Pat as well, but I feel as if the supporters are being quick to label him as 'poor' when really he has been anything but for Hibs. If Pat would like better and can get better than that is fine by me, but we as fans are too quick on occasion to label players as poor or rubbish and certainly it appears as if some love to stick the boot in regarding certain players - Doyle is one of them.

Small minority = 1% and a large minority = 49%. I'm not going to label a specific number where they meet as I'll be setting myself up for some corrections from the masses, but hopefully you understand a bit better now?

hibbymick
29-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Maybe he was offered a new contract and chose not to sign :cb

seven nowt
29-03-2013, 09:47 PM
So far I've read............ "Doyle is a cracking player".................."Doyle is a brilliant player".................................."One of the best strikers in the SPL"

I'm all for opinions but get real!

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Well, Ricardo Vaz Te wasn't good enough for some (I always rated him), we'll see who's right about Doyle.. only time will tell. I am a fan of Doyle, he was a key part of the winning team at the start of the season and helped spark a comeback v Killie at Easter Road. He's clearly a great player, perhaps the loss of Cairney has affected his form but that's due to the fact we've got no other adventurous midfielder..

seven nowt
29-03-2013, 09:48 PM

:aok:

Thecat23
29-03-2013, 10:10 PM
..........Kenny Miller? :cb

Never say never ;)

SteveHFC
29-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Never say never ;)

http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/animated%20emoticons/Cartoon%20Animated%20Emoticons/donald%20duck%20dance.gif:greengrin

Thecat23
29-03-2013, 10:21 PM
http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/animated%20emoticons/Cartoon%20Animated%20Emoticons/donald%20duck%20dance.gif:greengrin

That still made me laugh Steve :D

lord bunberry
30-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Well, Ricardo Vaz Te wasn't good enough for some (I always rated him), we'll see who's right about Doyle.. only time will tell. I am a fan of Doyle, he was a key part of the winning team at the start of the season and helped spark a comeback v Killie at Easter Road. He's clearly a great player, perhaps the loss of Cairney has affected his form but that's due to the fact we've got no other adventurous midfielder..

Have we got the softest team in history, we've got hanlon who can't play unless mcpake is along side him spoony who can't play unless someone convinces him that he's messi, now doyle needs cairney to be playing before he can hit top form. Is it any wonder we have been struggling these past few years. Whatever happened to good players taking the game by the scruff of the neck and making thing's happen

marinello59
30-03-2013, 07:15 AM
]Have we got the softest team in history[/B], we've got hanlon who can't play unless mcpake is along side him spoony who can't play unless someone convinces him that he's messi, now doyle needs cairney to be playing before he can hit top form. Is it any wonder we have been struggling these past few years. Whatever happened to good players taking the game by the scruff of the neck and making thing's happen

If we have then Pat Fenlon's stated recruitment policy was a load of hot air. I don't think it was.

J-C
30-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Have we got the softest team in history, we've got hanlon who can't play unless mcpake is along side him spoony who can't play unless someone convinces him that he's messi, now doyle needs cairney to be playing before he can hit top form. Is it any wonder we have been struggling these past few years. Whatever happened to good players taking the game by the scruff of the neck and making thing's happen

TBH I've been on Hanlon's back in the past but I think he's been by far our best defender this year, he's been out injured this past few weeks and by no coinsidence that the defence hasn't been looking too great, I think he's matured now and is probably better than McPake at this minute. Our problem hasn't been the middle it's been on the flanks, Clancy seems injury prone, Lewis can fit in at left back but will struggle against very good winger due to the fact we have no decent left midfielders and Maybury for all his experience is showing signs of being past it at this level.

I don't know if you noticed how good McGivern and Stevenson worked well together when played in their proper positions, when McGivern goes forward, Lewis slips into left back as cover and both there work well in tandem as a defensive due. Therein lies the problem, we need a good winger capable of going up and down the wing doing both attacking and defending, we don't have anyone like that, hopefully when Craig comes in the summer, that'll be that sorted as he's an attacking left mid, who can also defend.

Blaster
30-03-2013, 07:43 AM
I like Doyle but he is only good enough to be our third option striker. We need a target man beside Leigh with Doyle and handling as back up

caldwell needs a season on loan in the first division imo

J-C
30-03-2013, 07:49 AM
I like Doyle but he is only good enough to be our third option striker. We need a target man beside Leigh with Doyle and handling as back up

caldwell needs a season on loan in the first division imo

Doesn't have to be a target man, just someone good enough to take the pressure off Leigh, a tagetman works if there are 2 wide men getting balls into the area, if not it encourages the hump ball, remember what we had with Nish as a target man :confused:

Someone like Mackay at Inverness would be a good choice to play alongside Leigh, gives you goals and very quick also and should encourage the midfield to keep the ball on the deck.

lord bunberry
30-03-2013, 08:02 AM
TBH I've been on Hanlon's back in the past but I think he's been by far our best defender this year, he's been out injured this past few weeks and by no coinsidence that the defence hasn't been looking too great, I think he's matured now and is probably better than McPake at this minute. Our problem hasn't been the middle it's been on the flanks, Clancy seems injury prone, Lewis can fit in at left back but will struggle against very good winger due to the fact we have no decent left midfielders and Maybury for all his experience is showing signs of being past it at this level.

I don't know if you noticed how good McGivern and Stevenson worked well together when played in their proper positions, when McGivern goes forward, Lewis slips into left back as cover and both there work well in tandem as a defensive due. Therein lies the problem, we need a good winger capable of going up and down the wing doing both attacking and defending, we don't have anyone like that, hopefully when Craig comes in the summer, that'll be that sorted as he's an attacking left mid, who can also defend.

I just get a bit tired of hearing that certain players are no good unless this that or the other happens. Some of our players need to man up or they will be looking for new clubs in the summer

J-C
30-03-2013, 08:08 AM
I just get a bit tired of hearing that certain players are no good unless this that or the other happens. Some of our players need to man up or they will be looking for new clubs in the summer

Don't think it's about manning up, more the fact we still have 4-5 players who aren't good enough, the midfield is a problem as we sit too deep and allow teams onto us, we don't defend enough from the front enough. Against Celtic we harried and chased everything all over the pitch and got our rewards with a decent win but you need players to do that every game, unfortunately they don't, so we then need better players to do it.

LancsHibs
30-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Ha ha hope ED enjoys Chesterfield more than Jason Lee did (those who saw soccer am today know the score!)

MacBean
30-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Awful today. Lost possession all day and was all over the shop.

Heisenberg
30-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Didnt see any sign of this supposed intellegent footballer today. Absolutely awful throughout and wouldn't be missed should he leave.

Cropley10
30-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Doyle offers ZERO. Delighted he's away.

hfc rd
30-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Chesterfield are welcome to him. Absolutely brutal player.

Brightside
30-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Chesterfield are welcome to him. Absolutely brutal player.

I'll pay for his first class rail travel. Gutless, lazy, and would struggle to trap a bag of cement. He surely must be related to Fenlon.

Hiber-nation
30-03-2013, 04:32 PM
I thought I'd give him one more chance before commenting on this thread. After reading some of these comments on here like "cracking player" and "one of the best strikers in the league" I thought I must have been missing something. But today confirmed that he's just nowhere near good enough and that's that.

RickyS
30-03-2013, 04:35 PM
I thought I'd give him one more chance before commenting on this thread. After reading some of these comments on here like "cracking player" and "one of the best strikers in the league" I thought I must have been missing something. But today confirmed that he's just nowhere near good enough and that's that.

this

Wilson
30-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Ha ha hope ED enjoys Chesterfield more than Jason Lee did (those who saw soccer am today know the score!)

Haven't watched soccer am in years so haven't a clue what you're on about.

Thanks.

gobragh1875
30-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Lets put a hat round for his fare after today ran about like a head less chicken total night mare

Emerald
30-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Reminds me of Mark McGraw.

Holmesdale Hibs
30-03-2013, 04:42 PM
I don't mind Doyle. At the start of the season I thought he'd improved a lot from the season before, recently not so much. Main problem is he seems to lack a bit of composure on front of goal.

We should get rid of Kuqi first and I'd be ok with keeping Doyle for another season.

LancsHibs
30-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Haven't watched soccer am in years so haven't a clue what you're on about.

Thanks.

Good for you.

Your welcome.

iwasthere1972
30-03-2013, 05:06 PM

He just didn't like Chesterfield did he. Nothing good to say about the team or the place.

Fitba folk know what's going on.

JollyGreenGiant
30-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Doyle was abysmal today.

When he first arrived I thought he might be a little rough around the edges and hoped he would develop as a goalscorer. But IMO he has not developed at all, he wins nothing in the air, his positional sense is murder and he gives the ball away far too easy - he just looks lazy and lightweight.

Good luck to the lad, but he is just not good enough :bye:

Devine
30-03-2013, 05:32 PM
He was brutal again today glad hes away saves Fenlon having to make a decision

Love the Green
30-03-2013, 07:34 PM
He was brutal again today glad hes away saves Fenlon having to make a decision

Be nice if Fenlon could make a decision..the mans a joke..his team almost completely yoday and it was PATHETIC..

"keep the faith":wink:

Diclonius
30-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Doyle was given the chance today to prove himself worthy of a new contract and he blew it. Not good enough, I'm afraid.

500miles
30-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Reminds me of Mark McGraw.

Except, obviously, Doyle has about 3 times as many goals this season as McGraw got in his entire Hibs career.

Jonnyboy
30-03-2013, 07:54 PM
The laddie was very poor today and it seems his early promise has come to nothing. If he's going to Chesterfield, or anywhere else for that matter, he should be going with the thanks of the Hibs support for his efforts when wearing the green and white. It really is classless to rip him to pieces, use comments like gtf etc when all he's ever done is try his best. He's never put the club's name at risk with off field shenanigans, like some of our current and past heroes and so he should, in my opinion, be shown some basic respect.

hibee_girl
30-03-2013, 07:59 PM
The laddie was very poor today and it seems his early promise has come to nothing. If he's going to Chesterfield, or anywhere else for that matter, he should be going with the thanks of the Hibs support for his efforts when wearing the green and white. It really is classless to rip him to pieces, use comments like gtf etc when all he's ever done is try his best. He's never put the club's name at risk with off field shenanigans, like some of our current and past heroes and so he should, in my opinion, be shown some basic respect.

Absolutely! :agree:

Scottie
30-03-2013, 08:00 PM

Cracking post John (Hibs Class) :aok: :top marks

FranckSuzy
30-03-2013, 08:04 PM

:agree: I think he should have been subbed today, but only for his own sake. It looks like his confidence has been shot to pieces.

TornadoHibby
30-03-2013, 08:04 PM

Fair points JB! :agree:

However, Doyle is not doing Hibs or himself any favours with his performances IMO and might well be best served moving on as the "rumour mill" would appear to be suggesting he might well have taken steps to do! :agree: :confused:

Brightside
30-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Its classless to run at half pelt for every ball, its classless to turn your back on a tackle, its classless to jump up and down like a baby when you are beaten to a ball. If its classless to criticise that then so be it. If a player tries I'll support them all the way. Too many players just are not putting in the effort, and for Pat to say "I cant criticise the boys for lack of effort" really makes me wonder if he even watches the game.

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2013, 08:13 PM
He's always given 100%, and never shirks when selected. I have no idea if he is off to Chesterfield, but if he is good luck to him.

Jonnyboy
30-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Its classless to run at half pelt for every ball, its classless to turn your back on a tackle, its classless to jump up and down like a baby when you are beaten to a ball. If its classless to criticise that then so be it. If a player tries I'll support them all the way. Too many players just are not putting in the effort, and for Pat to say "I cant criticise the boys for lack of effort" really makes me wonder if he even watches the game.

He's always given 100%, and never shirks when selected. I have no idea if he is off to Chesterfield, but if he is good luck to him.

Opinions eh? :wink:

500miles
30-03-2013, 08:16 PM

He set up a cracking chance for Griffiths, another for Robertson at the edge of the box (at least I think it was Robertson) and switched play with a couple of cracking passes. Beat his man more than Done has at any point. If he had any confidence, he would have probably put the Griffiths chance away himself, but the heckles aren't helping. His goals to minutes ratio is roughly one goal every two and a half games. Not bad for a guy playing his first full season of SPL football, who is in and out of the team, is primarily asked to support Griffiths, and doesn't get much service into the box.

Not every striker we sign is going to be Griffiths. We've had Riordan, O'Connor, Mixu, Zitelli, Fletcher, Stokes in he last decade or so - we have been spoiled. Even Benji was a classy entertaining player, who should have played at a far higher level.

We keep asking where teams like ICT get the likes of McKay from. McKay was there last year, and scored 3 goals in 24 appearances. He would have been heckled out of ER. Similar age and background. However, ICT develop their players. They BUILD their team. Management and players change, but one generation of players is always guided by the last.

But naw, lets just chuck him, so that Motherwell or ICT can pick him up, and can benefit from the time he's spent here. Speaking of Motherwell, let's talk about Higdon. He took the step up, and only got 4 goals in his first season with St. Mirren - 33 appearances, near enough a 1 in 8 goal ratio. Or how about the year before, where he only got 7 goals for Falkirk, with more appearances than Doyle had this year. Don't try and throw in "aw, but he's a target man to set up other players", because Doyle has set up more goals this season.

Doyle is a promising player. He will have his ups and downs. Until he get's that big scoring season, his confidence will rise and drop. For a club that, not that long ago, prided itself on developing potential, we have no patience with the players.

Jonnyboy
30-03-2013, 08:18 PM
He set up a cracking chance for Griffiths, another for Robertson at the edge of the box (at least I think it was Robertson) and switched play with a couple of cracking passes. If he had any confidence, he would have probably put the Griffiths chance away himself, but the heckles aren't helping. His goals to minutes ratio is roughly one goal every two and a half games. Not bad for a guy playing his first full season of SPL football, who is in and out of the team, is primarily asked to support Griffiths, and doesn't get much service into the box.

Not every striker we sign is going to be Griffiths. We've had Riordan, O'Connor, Mixu, Zitelli, Fletcher, Stokes in he last decade or so - we have been spoiled. Even Benji was a classy entertaining player, who should have played at a far higher level.

We keep asking where teams like ICT get the likes of McKay from. McKay was there last year, and scored 3 goals in 24 appearances. He would have been heckled out of ER. Similar age and background. However, ICT develop their players. They BUILD their team. Management and players change, but one generation of players is always guided by the last.

But naw, lets just chuck him, so that Motherwell or ICT can pick him up, and can benefit from the time he's spent here. Speaking of Motherwell, let's talk about Higdon. He took the step up, and only got 4 goals in his first season with St. Mirren - 33 appearances, near enough a 1 in 8 goal ratio. Or how about the year before, where he only got 7 goals for Falkirk, with more appearances than Doyle had this year. Don't try and throw in "aw, but he's a target man to set up other players", because Doyle has set up more goals this season.

Doyle is a promising player. He will have his ups and downs. Until he get's that big scoring season, his confidence will rise and drop. For a club that, not that long ago, prided itself on developing potential, we have no patience with the players.

Excellent post :top marks

Brightside
30-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Opinions eh? :wink:

Indeed. I'll leave with my 10yo girl who i took to the game for the first time today. Within 20 mins she said "Does the guy Doyle have something wrong with him? Why is he so slow?" :confused:

hibee_girl
30-03-2013, 08:19 PM
He set up a cracking chance for Griffiths, another for Robertson at the edge of the box (at least I think it was Robertson) and switched play with a couple of cracking passes. If he had any confidence, he would have probably put the Griffiths chance away himself, but the heckles aren't helping. His goals to minutes ratio is roughly one goal every two and a half games. Not bad for a guy playing his first full season of SPL football, who is in and out of the team, is primarily asked to support Griffiths, and doesn't get much service into the box.

Excellent post!

Jonnyboy
30-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Indeed. I'll leave with my 10yo girl who i took to the game for the first time today. Within 20 mins she said "Does the guy Doyle have something wrong with him? Why is he so slow?" :confused:

To be fair those same words could have been used about every Hibs player today, with the exception of young Boozy :greengrin

Anyway, fancy taking twenty minutes to spot that :wink:

3pm
30-03-2013, 08:21 PM
When all his pals let us down on 19 May 2012, he was the one who after coming on as sub, grafted more than the other pricks who pulled on a shirt that day.

He showed a bit pride. I like him just for that!

hibbymick
30-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Then surely we must be questioning Fenlon as to why hes letting him go ( if that does turn out to be the case) ?

Brightside
30-03-2013, 08:25 PM
To be fair those same words could have been used about every Hibs player today, with the exception of young Boozy :greengrin

Anyway, fancy taking twenty minutes to spot that :wink:

Haha. There must be easier ways to inflect such pain on ourselves! Boozy a major positive, and hopefully we'll see the rest of the young team playing now.

Beefster
31-03-2013, 07:19 AM
He set up a cracking chance for Griffiths, another for Robertson at the edge of the box (at least I think it was Robertson) and switched play with a couple of cracking passes. Beat his man more than Done has at any point. If he had any confidence, he would have probably put the Griffiths chance away himself, but the heckles aren't helping. His goals to minutes ratio is roughly one goal every two and a half games. Not bad for a guy playing his first full season of SPL football, who is in and out of the team, is primarily asked to support Griffiths, and doesn't get much service into the box.

Why do folk keep writing as if the fans make these decisions? You need to be directing your ire at the club.

Cropley10
31-03-2013, 08:46 AM

He didn't set up a brilliant chance for griffiths, he s hat it in the box in a 1:1 and his off load caught Sparky cold. The brilliant chance for Robertson was a pass back that meant he had to shoot through about 20 players. Apart from that he did absolutely nothing whatsoever.

I admire your robust defence but you're not comparing apples with apples. Doyle isn't going to get faster, or get a decent first touch playing endless games for us. It's like playing with 10 men, and we might have won yesterday with a decent player in his position.

500miles
31-03-2013, 09:22 AM
He didn't set up a brilliant chance for griffiths, he s hat it in the box in a 1:1 and his off load caught Sparky cold. The brilliant chance for Robertson was a pass back that meant he had to shoot through about 20 players. Apart from that he did absolutely nothing whatsoever.

I admire your robust defence but you're not comparing apples with apples. Doyle isn't going to get faster, or get a decent first touch playing endless games for us. It's like playing with 10 men, and we might have won yesterday with a decent player in his position.

How am I not? McKay and Doyle are a similar age, and Higdon was a similar age when he joined St. Mirren too - and he has an inconsistant first touch too. Doyle isn't slow either, that is total nonsense. Much like Cairney, I think the step up in training standard has taken it's toll, and that's why they have looked lethargic. That WILL get better next season, for both of them.

Im not saying he had a great game today, nobody did. However, in a game where we always competed - which may not sound like much, but is massive step forward from last season. By the way, if the sort of pass and time Doyle gave Griffiths caught him cold, the Griffiths probably shouldn't be a forward. Doyle was being closed down by the keeper, and had defenders creeping up on him, and gave the ball to Sparky who was entirely unmarked. He gave Robertson the ball in time and space at the edge of the box - a loaded box should only be a problem if you hit it first time - take a touch and aim for the top corner, it's a good chance.

In reference to an earlier post, the reason I'm not having a crack at the club is because they haven't said that they don't want to extend his deal, as far as I know. On the other hand, the people I am getting fed up with are folk who are once again looking for a scapegoat.

Cropley10
31-03-2013, 09:44 AM
How am I not? McKay and Doyle are a similar age, and Higdon was a similar age when he joined St. Mirren too - and he has an inconsistant first touch too. Doyle isn't slow either, that is total nonsense. Much like Cairney, I think the step up in training standard has taken it's toll, and that's why they have looked lethargic. That WILL get better next season, for both of them.

Im not saying he had a great game today, nobody did. However, in a game where we always competed - which may not sound like much, but is massive step forward from last season. By the way, if the sort of pass and time Doyle gave Griffiths caught him cold, the Griffiths probably shouldn't be a forward. Doyle was being closed down by the keeper, and had defenders creeping up on him, and gave the ball to Sparky who was entirely unmarked. He gave Robertson the ball in time and space at the edge of the box - a loaded box should only be a problem if you hit it first time - take a touch and aim for the top corner, it's a good chance.

In reference to an earlier post, the reason I'm not having a crack at the club is because they haven't said that they don't want to extend his deal, as far as I know. On the other hand, the people I am getting fed up with are folk who are once again looking for a scapegoat.

Footballs about opinions, I don't think Doyle will improve, you do. I think he is poor, you don't. But ultimately I don't think he contributes. Sure he might put some 'effort' in but that isn't enough, for me.

Scouse Hibee
31-03-2013, 09:48 AM

:faf: I'm not a fan of Doyle but love how you defend Sparky ******g up what was a great chance by berating Doyle for giving him the ball in the first place!

Scottie
31-03-2013, 10:00 AM
:faf: I'm not a fan of Doyle but love how you defend Sparky ******g up what was a great chance by berating Doyle for giving him the ball in the first place!

:top marks :hilarious Some players can do no wrong ! Some players can do no right !

Hibeez Boy!xx
31-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Doyle started off alright this season but he has just crumbled. He can go to chesterfield if he wants. Don't think he is any better than Leigh or Alex Harris. GGTTH

Wilson
31-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Doyle started off alright this season but he has just crumbled. He can go to chesterfield if he wants. Don't think he is any better than Leigh or Alex Harris. GGTTH

He is not better than Leigh?

What a shocking revelation.

smurf
31-03-2013, 11:13 AM

Spot on J.