PDA

View Full Version : Voluntary work at 2014 Ryder Cup – it will cost you!

Jack
01-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Sometimes if you're lucky you can pick up a few bob, to cover your expenses you'll understand, if you do voluntary work. Mostly you'll just get that inward rosy glow for doing a good turn. Still the ethos of it is around amateur helping out.

Golf makes millions for everyone connected to the professional game. The top [Gary] Players swan around the word vying with each other to beat their opponents to the next venue in their private jets. The associations compete with each other to put on lavish tournaments with telephone number prizes.

That’s why I think its an absolute disgrace the ‘volunteers’ for this event are expected to pay a £75 "registration fee" to work for nothing. In fact they're not working for nothing, they're working for less than nothing, they're paying for the privilege of working.

Gleneagles Ryder Cup volunteer plan 'unacceptable' linkylinky (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-21278695)
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-21278695)
Plans to recruit 1,800 volunteers to work at the Ryder Cup have been branded "unacceptable" by the Scottish TUC.

Volunteers are expected to pay a £75 "registration fee" to work as scoreboard carriers and merchandise pavilion assistants.

"You'd have thought this was a good chance to give young people a bit of work, especially given the current economic climate. Clearly these jobs are open to middle-class people who are interested in golf, and have the money to spend on the registration fee," continued Mr Boyd.

"It's really quite unacceptable, and no-doubt against the vision of what the Scottish government had for this event."

Hamish Gray, chief executive of the Scottish Golf Union - which works closely with event organisers European Tour - told the BBC: "The event brings in a huge amount to the Scottish economy in its own right, and that includes a lot of contractors and local people who will be working at the event.

"That said, I'm perplexed by the STUC comment because any sporting event - and the Ryder Cup is no different - relies on volunteer effort as well to augment those who are paid to be there, and it just simply wouldn't go ahead without that."

Godsahibby
01-02-2013, 12:54 PM
I've applied for it, went down to Celtic Manor a couple of years ago and thought it would be good this year to be involved. While not totally happy if I had to pay £75, if i was to go and watch the golf over the weekend it would cost me a hell of a lot more. Would only take a job within the ropes so I get to see some golf!

Sylar
01-02-2013, 02:17 PM
If you're guaranteed to be doing the scoreboards for the full competition, then you're inside the ropes, walking in very close proximity around the course and seeing the event as close as is humanly possible...

That's worth £75 IMO, particularly when you consider the likely cost of a day ticket!

Godsahibby
01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
If you're guaranteed to be doing the scoreboards for the full competition, then you're inside the ropes, walking in very close proximity around the course and seeing the event as close as is humanly possible...

That's worth £75 IMO, particularly when you consider the likely cost of a day ticket!

MY thoughts exactly mate.

Golden Bear
01-02-2013, 04:33 PM
It's not for me but the £75 registration fee is to alleviate the cost of providing clothing and meals for the army of volunteers.

I've attended a few Ryder Cups in the past and was lucky enough to be at the 1987 event at Muirfield Village Ohio, - the first time that Europe won the event on American soil. The tournament has now become too big for normal spectating and TV is definitely the best viewing place these days.

cocopops1875
01-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Im helping at The Open this year Free Mizuno Jacket and no £75 :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
I think the clue is in the job description, i.e. it's "voluntary".

If people are fully aware of the fact that they'll need to make a payment of £75 and that they'll be working for nothing and they're still happy to do it then I don't see what the problem is.

I personally don't think they'll be short of volunteers for something like the Ryder Cup to be honest.

Allant1981
02-02-2013, 04:42 PM
I worked at gleneagles for a few years so ill hopefully be gettin a couple of freebies

PerthHibby
03-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Im helping at The Open this year Free Mizuno Jacket and no £75 :thumbsup:

Me too, looking forward to it.

cocopops1875
04-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Me too, looking forward to it.

What you doing mate ? My club will be Running a hole (usually an early one apparently) :thumbsup:

PerthHibby
04-02-2013, 06:36 AM
We are doing the same, each local club
is given a hole to marshall, depending on
the numbers each club provides a hole will
be allocated from there.
First time for me but have spoken to a lot
of guys at the club who did it last time and
they said it was great.
Lots of free time as well.
Thought about applying for Ryder cup, but
to be honest the hassle of the travelling
every day has put me off.
I live in Longniddry so Muirfield is ideal.
What about yourself, what club are you a
member of?

cocopops1875
04-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Im at Gifford mate, Didnt notice you were local due to your name :greengrin

PerthHibby
04-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Lived in Perth Australia for a few years and
signed up to .net when I was there.
Never played Gifford, what's it like?

cocopops1875
04-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Lived in Perth Australia for a few years and
signed up to .net when I was there.
Never played Gifford, what's it like?

Its a Lovely wee 9 Holes (changes up a bit for the back 9) very straightforward but still a good test, Sadly the wet over the summer and now the winter means its not in the condition we pride ourselves on at the moment but as always the offer is extended to all .net Hibees to join me for a round guest fees are Cheap as chips and as i said the course is usually in cracking nick with greens that rival anywhwere :thumbsup:

PerthHibby
04-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Its a Lovely wee 9 Holes (changes up a bit for the back 9) very straightforward but still a good test, Sadly the wet over the summer and now the winter means its not in the condition we pride ourselves on at the moment but as always the offer is extended to all .net Hibees to join me for a round guest fees are Cheap as chips and as i said the course is usually in cracking nick with greens that rival anywhwere :thumbsup:

That sounds great, I would love a game when the weather improves. :thumbsup:

Golden Bear
05-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Over 9000 applications received for approx 1500 vacancies!

Two further "facts" which I wasn't aware of:-

The Volunteers will have half of each day to watch the golf.

The £75 registration fee is the norm for the Ryder Cup in Europe and the United States so nothing really new here. This should have been made public in the first place imo.

So it's not such a bad deal after all despite the criticism of some politicians and Union leaders!

derekHFC
05-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Its a Lovely wee 9 Holes (changes up a bit for the back 9) very straightforward but still a good test, Sadly the wet over the summer and now the winter means its not in the condition we pride ourselves on at the moment but as always the offer is extended to all .net Hibees to join me for a round guest fees are Cheap as chips and as i said the course is usually in cracking nick with greens that rival anywhwere :thumbsup:Cracking course at Gifford, but the rough was not good for a stray hitter.

IWasThere2016
05-02-2013, 06:47 PM
I've applied ... you'd think as a golf club captain, I wouldn't have to do such things! :greengrin

Sylar
06-02-2013, 11:14 PM
I've applied ... you'd think as a golf club captain, I wouldn't have to do such things! :greengrin

Surely you'll have some sleazing or schmoozing arranged in the interest of "business", no? :cb

IWasThere2016
07-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Surely you'll have some sleazing or schmoozing arranged in the interest of "business", no? :cb

That's a terrible thing to say about me :cool2:

Sylar
30-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Anyone get picked to volunteer then?

I didn't but now that I'm not living nearby, I'm not exactly upset about that!

Dibben
30-04-2013, 12:58 PM
It looks like the successful emails won't be out till the end of May now. At least that's what the website is suggesting!

H18sry
30-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Dear Ronnie,

Thank you for your recent application to volunteer at The 2014 Ryder Cup. We have had an unprecedented level of interest with over 17,000 applications for just 1,800 positions.

Although your application for a volunteer role was not successful at this time, we would like to invite you to join our reserve list, as your skills and experience closely match our needs.

The reserve list is an important part of the volunteer programme as it is not uncommon for spaces to become available, in some cases well in advance of the event itself.

Please bear in mind that should you be offered a position on the programme, you may be required to attend scheduled trainings and briefings. You will be informed of the location and time of any training(s) and briefing(s) well in advance.

You do not need to do anything further at present as, if a place becomes available, we will contact you via this email address.

We also have a number of additional volunteer opportunities at other European Tour events and would be delighted if you would consider taking part in some of those activities. Volunteers help to make our tournaments and offer an opportunity for many people to play their part and get close to their golfing heroes. If you are interested in considering future positions please keep an eye on our website: www.europeantour.com

Should you NOT wish to take up this offer, please email us at rydercup2014volunteers@europeantour.com and you will be removed from the list. We will be contacting you all by the end of May 2013 with a further update as to your progression on the reserve list and your status.

Once again, thank you for your interest in supporting The 2014 Ryder Cup.

Kind regards,

Ryder Cup Europe :rolleyes:

IWasThere2016
30-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Dear Ronnie,

Although your application for a volunteer role was not successful at this time, we would like to invite you to join our reserve list, as your skills and experience closely match our needs.

I got a rejection. But must ask, what skills/expertise - when I enrolled I was only ask for my name etc? :confused:

Frazerbob
30-04-2013, 03:01 PM
I got accepted to be a Crowd Safety Steward. :greengrin

Need to work 5 half days from the 6 days of play (including 3 practice days) and get to watch the golf the rest of time. I can also buy a season ticket for family member or friend.

Happy with that!

Golden Bear
01-05-2013, 07:41 PM
From what I've heard the selection criteria was heavily influenced by politics and knowledge of the game of golf was not necessarily seen as being advantageous. A fairly high percentage of the succesful applicants were "non British" with no previous golf related experience. I'm just telling things as they are before the PC mobsters jump down my throat!

3pm
24-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Got a call last night.

Got offered a £200 ticket that gets you in Saturday and Sunday.

Champagne tent on the Saturday!

IWasThere2016
24-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Got a call last night.

Got offered a £200 ticket that gets you in Saturday and Sunday.

Champagne tent on the Saturday!

Bawbag :wink:

3pm
25-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Bawbag :wink:

X

:greengrin

heretoday
27-05-2013, 08:54 AM
The Ryder Cup seems to have discovered the holy grail for all employers. Workers paying to work there.

H18sry
10-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Dear Ronnie,

Thank you for your recent application to be a Volunteer at The 2014 Ryder Cup.

The deadline for successful registrants to accept their position and pay the registration fee is imminent and we will shortly begin the process of reviewing the reserve list.

We will be contacting all applicants on our reserve list during the week commencing Monday, 24th June 2013 to notify them whether they have been successful or not.

You might find it useful to know that the public ballot for tickets to The 2014 Ryder Cup will remain open until the 22nd July 2013. Should you be interested in applying for a ticket to The Ryder Cup, you will therefore still have plenty of time to do so once you have been notified of the status of your registration on the reserve list.

Thank you for your patience and your continued interest in supporting The 2014 Ryder Cup.

Kind regards,

Ryder Cup Europe

Dibben
05-12-2013, 06:42 PM
I got an email on Monday advising me that I have now been successful with my volunteer application.

Scoring Marshall.

I haven't been given any further info regarding the amount of days required, but I've got 2 weeks off now booked so can easily fit in...