PDA

View Full Version : Is 3D TV worth the expense?

Hibbyradge
27-01-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm happy to pay the extra to watch 3D films, but I'm not convinced that TV would be improved.

Can anyone give a first hand review?

Lucius Apuleius
28-01-2013, 05:25 AM
I'm happy to pay the extra to watch 3D films, but I'm not convinced that TV would be improved.

Realistically there are not many programmes done in 3D and the only channel with dedicated 3D (that I know of) is Sky 3D channel. However, I do sometimes put it on in the simulated 3D mode when it is pretty obvious the programme looks 3D-ish if you know what I mean. Personally love it D. Got one for my PC monitor too!!!

LeighLoyal
28-01-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm holding back until the 3d sets without need for glasses become affordable, just now circa £7k I beleive.

lapsedhibee
28-01-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm holding back until the 3d sets without need for glasses become affordable, just now circa £7k I beleive.

Same except I'm going to skip this upgrade completely and wait for 4D.

Golden Bear
28-01-2013, 01:55 PM

It's not reallyworth the money imo. In order to get the dedicated 3D channel, you have to subscribe to the full Sky package + HD and that's not cheap. It's bit strange watching a TV channel with the 3D glasses on and I've found that you get the best effect by watching the TV in total darkness ------------- which isn't ideal as you can imagine!

Some of the nature/wildlife programs are fantastic, but I don't think the 3D effect is anything special for watching football or rugby which is why I no longer bother with 3D for the football. A big plus was last years coverage of the US Masters Golf as it really highlighted the undulations on the course and the greens in particular.

I've been a subscriber for about 18 months now and the novelty has worn off. Methinks it will be a case of "3D no more" but I'll wait until this years Masters Tournament is over!

Each to their own though ----------only you can decide.

--------
29-01-2013, 12:24 PM
I saw 'Dredd' in the cinema in 3D.

I got the DVD for my birthday and watched it Friday night.

The effects on IMAX were amazing, but I really didn't feel I was missing out watching it on TV in HD.

For what it would cost I really wouldn't bother, TBH.

3pm
08-02-2013, 06:54 AM
I have a 3D TV. Fascinated with it to begin with but rarely watch it.

Mate and I watched some of a game on it once but he wanted 'normal' tv.

I just wanted a decent TV and the 3d wad included otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Godsahibby
08-02-2013, 10:45 AM
I've got one and while it's not something I watch a lot it's great to have. Lots of documentary's are in 3D and are pretty spectacular. Plus if you are a golf fan, it's worth it for that alone. The Masters and Ryder Cup last year were immense!

Houchy
08-02-2013, 01:48 PM
I've got one and while it's not something I watch a lot it's great to have. Lots of documentary's are in 3D and are pretty spectacular. Plus if you are a golf fan, it's worth it for that alone. The Masters and Ryder Cup last year were immense!

This is exactly what I was going to say. I don't watch it everyday but I bought it for the Ryder Cup which was brilliant. Can't wait to see the Masters in 3D. To summarise, we only got it as we get the full package for free with Lyns working for Sky. Would I get it if we had to pay for the full package and buy a new TV? Probably not mate.

Godsahibby
08-02-2013, 02:45 PM
This is exactly what I was going to say. I don't watch it everyday but I bought it for the Ryder Cup which was brilliant. Can't wait to see the Masters in 3D. To summarise, we only got it as we get the full package for free with Lyns working for Sky. Would I get it if we had to pay for the full package and buy a new TV? Probably not mate.

Same boat here, I forgot about that I have a friends and family deal with Sky as well. Probably wouldn't justify it having to pay full price.

matty_f
15-02-2013, 05:48 PM

Pretty much agree with this - movies, sports and documentaries look outstanding in HD and 3D. There's not a huge amount of broadcast content (one dedicated channel on Sky and the odd program on BBC HD) but for blu-rays it's great.

yeezus.
19-02-2013, 10:22 AM
The only film I have seen in 3D was Prometheus. I thought it wasn't that good a film and didn't like the 3D element.

I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.