PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten final

Miguel
10-01-2013, 11:37 PM
I have been at six League Cup Finals with Hibs, including 85, 91, 93, 2004, 2007. Had chickenpox in '72, can't recall why I wasn't at 74. Was anyone else at the one v Celtic in the late 1960s? Iirc it was meant to be played in the October, but was delayed until the following April because there had been a fire in the old main (south) stand at Hampden.
Totally outclassed by what was essentially Celtics European Cup winning team. Think they were 6-0 up before we got two late goals.
Memorable not for the result, but before the game, my Dad took me around to the players' entrance. He knew the Celtic goalkeeper Ronnie Simpson from his time at Hibs and when he ran a sports shop in Rose Street. He introduced us to some of the players and got us all the Lisbon Lions' autographs on the match programme.
The Scottish Football Annual that came out the following Christmas had a picture of Celtic scoring one of their goals and you can see my Dad and me in the main stand.
Probably the best worst final I have ever been at!

--------
11-01-2013, 12:52 AM
I have been at six League Cup Finals with Hibs, including 85, 91, 93, 2004, 2007. Had chickenpox in '72, can't recall why I wasn't at 74. Was anyone else at the one v Celtic in the late 1960s? Iirc it was meant to be played in the October, but was delayed until the following April because there had been a fire in the old main (south) stand at Hampden.
Totally outclassed by what was essentially Celtics European Cup winning team. Think they were 6-0 up before we got two late goals.
Memorable not for the result, but before the game, my Dad took me around to the players' entrance. He knew the Celtic goalkeeper Ronnie Simpson from his time at Hibs and when he ran a sports shop in Rose Street. He introduced us to some of the players and got us all the Lisbon Lions' autographs on the match programme.
The Scottish Football Annual that came out the following Christmas had a picture of Celtic scoring one of their goals and you can see my Dad and me in the main stand.

Yes. 6-0 before Eric Stevenson (?) scored two late consolation goals.

I wasn't there, but we were all listening to the commentary oin the radio. Everybody but me and one other Hibby (everyone else was a Jambo) rolling around wetting themselves laughing and taking the mickey. Horrible!

I had forgotten all about it, but now you've reminded me.

Thank you.

fat freddy
11-01-2013, 08:18 AM

that was my first cup final and first visit to a game in glasgow...i was shocked at the poverty on view and still have a mental image of trampy kids outside minging tennements giving us the v signs as we drove through the mean streets in my dads car...i also have a mental image of jimmy johnstone hitting a rocket shot off target which dixie deans attacked with his head to score an unbelievable goal...my older brother even jumped up to appaud it which really confused me at the time...in fact, im still confused, i'll have to ask him about that.

Ringothedog
11-01-2013, 08:23 AM
that was my first cup final and first visit to a game in glasgow...i was shocked at the poverty on view and still have a mental image of trampy kids outside minging tennements giving us the v signs as we drove through the mean streets in my dads car...i also have a mental image of jimmy johnstone hitting a rocket shot off target which dixie deans attacked with his head to score an unbelievable goal...my older brother even jumped up to appaud it which really confused me at the time...in fact, im still confused, i'll have to ask him about that.

different game that was the 6-1 SC final

heretoday
11-01-2013, 08:27 AM
I was there and we got gubbed. O'Rourke and Stevenson got the late goals I think. Nice weather!

Craig_in_Prague
11-01-2013, 08:27 AM

we then beat them 5-3 AET in the Dryborough cup 3 months later?

Reading the 7-0 book at the moment and there's also a bit about the tornadoes time.

Why couldn't we have beat them in the SC and lost in the other instead :-(

fat freddy
11-01-2013, 09:28 AM

no, i was talking about the 74/75 league cup final when we got beat 6-3....joe harper scored a hat trick but dixie deans ripped us up.

brog
11-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Yep, it was typical of our luck that final was delayed. IIRC we sold Colin Stein in meantime & his replacement Joe McBride was cuptied, by Celtc!! In addition Alan McGraw was crocked & those 2 scored both goals in the semi vs Dundee. We were also in a poor run of form then failing to win in 10 games on the bounce though strangely we drew 1-1 at Darkheid 2 weeks before the final & of course Joe Mc scored! Not saying we would have won but game should have been much closer if played on original date.

Miguel
11-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Yes, you're right. I was only young at the time, but looking back it WAS typical Hibs luck. Trying to think who the manager would have been? Shanks, or maybe Willie McF

brog
11-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Yes, you're right. I was only young at the time, but looking back it WAS typical Hibs luck. Trying to think who the manager would have been? Shanks, or maybe Willie McF

Pretty sure it was Bob Shankly.

MM19
11-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Yep, it was typical of our luck that final was delayed. IIRC we sold Colin Stein in meantime & his replacement Joe McBride was cuptied, by Celtc!! In addition Alan McGraw was crocked & those 2 scored both goals in the semi vs Dundee. We were also in a poor run of form then failing to win in 10 games on the bounce though strangely we drew 1-1 at Darkheid 2 weeks before the final & of course Joe Mc scored! Not saying we would have won but game should have been much closer if played on original date.

I was just going to say most of this. It was a pity Joe McBride was cup tied it might have made a difference,

Paisley Hibby
11-01-2013, 05:07 PM

I was at that game too. Just a wee laddie at the time but seem to remember Peter Marinello payed for us? Also, one of the Celtic players took the piss by playing keepie uppie at one point (maybe Chalmers?)

Hiber-nation
11-01-2013, 07:10 PM

A player (Alex Edwards?) mentioned in the Ted Brack "Game on New Years Day" book that the flukey Deans header was in the 6-1 game but it was definitely in the 6-3 League Cup Final.

CentreLine
11-01-2013, 08:28 PM
I was just going to say most of this. It was a pity Joe McBride was cup tied it might have made a difference,

Or if the game had been played on its original date Colin Stein would have played as it was before he signed for Rangers (remember them).

We drew 1-1 with Celtic at Easter Road the week before the final with Joe McBride scoring for us. It all looked so very promising then on the day of the final Thomson Allan had a good game otherwise it might have been worse

monktonharp
11-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Yes. 6-0 before Eric Stevenson (?) scored two late consolation goals.

I wasn't there, but we were all listening to the commentary oin the radio. Everybody but me and one other Hibby (everyone else was a Jambo) rolling around wetting themselves laughing and taking the mickey. Horrible!

I had forgotten all about it, but now you've reminded me.

Thank you.c'mon doddie, yer forgetting your age. It was the wireless you heard it on:greengrin

Miguel
11-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Shankly was manager. Hibs team was: Allan, Shevlane, Davies, Stanton, Madsen, Blackley, Marinello, Quinn, Cormack, O'Rourke, Stevenson. Unused sub was Willie Hunter.
Not a bad team - would take that forward line now. In fact, would take whole team. Surprised that Sloop was playing. Thought that would have been a bit early for him.
74, 000 there - Celtic played same team which had won European Cup in second-half.
Because of the delay in playing the game, two League Cup Finals were won at Hampden in 1969, the second also by Celtic v St Johnstone.