PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Gers League Cup Final 1993

Viva_Palmeiras
09-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Went to dismantle an old bed at my mums and found the programme.

It was the final when Super Swally came off the bench 1st game back after breaking a leg in Portugal - "the night a (scotland) team died" - SFA should have heeded the warning then...

Off the bench and scored a cracker with an overhead kick iirc from a Donkey? Throw-in. We'd competed well just wasn't to be. mcCoist was
to break the record For cup winners medals for any player that day. Jammy bass!

Some insightful notes from the programme..

"Trophy haul proves it's money well spent...

Rangers have emerged as Scottish footballs success story since the Ibrox 'revolution' of 1986. And, along the way, they have slaughtered the commonly held theory stating that, in this day business, spending vast amounts of money guarantees nothing other than a serious overdraft.

It was the boldness and ambition of Graeme Sounness backed
By the vision and hard cash of owner David Murray, that has allowed Rangers to assemble a squad
of players who have virtually monopolised the domestic games prizes over the past seven years"

A certain J Traynor pens a gushing article on Super Swally in the penultimate piece. The more things change the more they stay the same ;)

Niffy
09-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Aye me and my wife got spat on by Huns in front of the polis who did nowt about it.

Dave 50p piece heid McPherson og for Hibs.

Band playing flute music at half time.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Ah yes and it was my first taste (and only!) of Parkhead nice!

Teams From

Hibs:
Leighton, Reid, Miller, Beaumont, McIntyre, Hunter, Tweed, Mitchell, Hamilton, Farrell, Findlay, O'Neill, McAllister, Evans, Jackson, Wright, Donald.

Gers:
Maxwell, Scott, Stevens, Robertson, Wishart, Gough, mcPherson, Pressley, 'oh my leg' Kouznerzov, Mikhailitchenko, Hagen, Murray, Steven, McCall, Durrant, I ferguson, D Ferguson, McCoist, Hateley, Huistra.

Pretty Decent Hibs team assembled!!!!

TheReg!
09-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Aye me and my wife got spat on by Huns in front of the polis who did nowt about it.

That ****** Band lol Hibs fans were going mental. We had a good team back then.

Niffy
09-01-2013, 09:58 PM
That band got "gifted" a few pies mind...

Winston Ingram
10-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Geebsy missed a sitter just before Sally scored. Skied the ball over the bar from 6 yds:cb

YehButNoBut
10-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Was just watching this the other day, still think it was a penalty when Keith Wright went round Maxwell. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iLU4E1iXPA

Lucius Apuleius
10-01-2013, 09:08 AM
It was dangerous play.

Bostonhibby
10-01-2013, 09:09 AM

Remember the band, one of our party was unfortunately one of those who rose to the bait as the neutral choice of half time entertainment came our way, he nearly got over the fence but the polis never hung about then, he got nicked and kept in over night, saddest part was he was the barman from the pub we left from and he came on a spare ticket - was actually a celtc fan!

Still can't believe that band was felt appropriate though.

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-01-2013, 10:08 AM
It was dangerous play.

I've always said this...but no way in those days was a ref brave enough to give the call, he nearly took Hunters head off, ridiculous decision in my book.

JimBHibees
10-01-2013, 10:10 AM
I've always said this...but no way in those days was a ref brave enough to give the call, he nearly took Hunters head off, ridiculous decision in my book.

Disagree nothing wrong with the goal. If a Hibs player had scored that and it had been disallowed we would have went nuts.

matty_f
10-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Definitely should have had the penalty. :agree:

JimBHibees
10-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Definitely should have had the penalty. :agree:

Nah, complete dive IMO no contact at all.

neilmartinrocks
10-01-2013, 10:17 AM
It was dangerous play.

The flute band or maxwell?

superfurryhibby
10-01-2013, 10:18 AM
It was dangerous play.

How dangerous? Goalie leading with his arms and on the deck. . Keith dived,unfortunately there was no contact. He should have stayed on his feet and scored from that position.

Huns dominated but we had a good spell and could have scored more than the deflected goal.

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Disagree nothing wrong with the goal. If a Hibs player had scored that and it had been disallowed we would have went nuts.

Opinions eh?...

Treadstone
10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
How dangerous? Goalie leading with his arms and on the deck. . Keith dived,unfortunately there was no contact. He should have stayed on his feet and scored from that position.

Huns dominated but we had a good spell and could have scored more than the deflected goal.

Jackson missed a chance at the far post. IIRC he was in a fight for fitness in the run up to the game and it showed in this match.

Lucius Apuleius
10-01-2013, 01:51 PM
The flute band or maxwell?

Neither :wink: Cheeky chappy's overhead kick.

superfurryhibby
10-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Neither :wink: Cheeky chappy's overhead kick.

Yes indeed the Kebab shop warriors goal was high feet, especially when a player was in the vicinity and could have challenged for the ball. Lucky bassa.

Ps: I love the Golden Ass-quality read from the Roman world.

--------
10-01-2013, 03:24 PM
It was dangerous play.

No it wasn't, Lucius. It was a penalty but the referee would have had to red-card Maxwell if he'd given it. There had been a heavy shower of rain just around KO and the grass was slick - Maxwell slid into Keith and clipped him.

But the Rangers-supporting commentators shouted loud and long; the Rangers players said it was a dive, and the referee agreed with them.

We were robbed. :cb

franco
10-01-2013, 03:41 PM
No it wasn't, Lucius. It was a penalty but the referee would have had to red-card Maxwell if he'd given it. There had been a heavy shower of rain just around KO and the grass was slick - Maxwell slid into Keith and clipped him.

But the Rangers-supporting commentators shouted loud and long; the Rangers players said it was a dive, and the referee agreed with them.

I was in the jungle at park head that day always remember that huge flag someone had about Richard gough simply the beast haha it was a beauty

Lucius Apuleius
10-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Yes indeed the Kebab shop warriors goal was high feet, especially when a player was in the vicinity and could have challenged for the ball. Lucky bassa.

Ps: I love the Golden Ass-quality read from the Roman world.

Have a look at fiduciary seeding :wink: Funnily enough, the man below is the only person who understood where I got the name and why.

I actually missed the game mate, not a clue where I was in the world. Missus and brats were there obviously. Only think I recall from seeing it was the overhead kick in what looked like a crowded box.

superfurryhibby
10-01-2013, 04:30 PM

We would have to ask Keith.

The clip from You Tube posted shows earlier no contact was made.Maxwell went in leading with his mitts and pulled out before contact was made. Keith would have to have hurdled him to avoid contact, he choose to hurdle and dive. I notice they had a defender closing in behind Maxwell. I think Keith choose the wrong option.

WHAM
10-01-2013, 08:25 PM
That band got "gifted" a few pies mind...

I was pretty young at the time (5 or 6) but remember the band coming round by the Hibs end and getting showered with coins, pies etc. Lol.
They tried to appease the Hibs support with a solitary "drum drum...drum drum drum...drum drum drum drum...HIBEES!!" tune.

Also remember getting flung from the top of a crush barrier in the madness when Hibs equalised and getting lost under a melee of bodies. Think the old man forgot I was there and ended up 10-15metres away in the celebrations.

Miguel
11-01-2013, 12:15 AM
It was actually a great day out, apart from the result. Went through on a minibus, and some guys on it, for some reason, had water pistols. When we got to the old Newbridge turnoff onto the M8, there were Huns there waiting for a bus and the boys beckoned them over to the bus then let the have it with the guns.
In Glasgow, a Celtic fan in the pub pulled up his sleeve and had about six Rollex watches on his arm in between the puncture marks which he offered me for my ticket.
Can remember waiting to get in and Celtic officials were giving it tight to the Huns fans from the club offices.
The band were actually Italian, but the choice of Orange was unfortunate. When they came around behind the goals, and we're getting pelted, a Hibbies ran out of the crowd and put a scarf around one of the drummers. To be fair, we more than matched them that day, when they were at their peak and it WAS a penalty.

superfurryhibby
11-01-2013, 07:50 AM
It was actually a great day out, apart from the result. Went through on a minibus, and some guys on it, for some reason, had water pistols. When we got to the old Newbridge turnoff onto the M8, there were Huns there waiting for a bus and the boys beckoned them over to the bus then let the have it with the guns.
In Glasgow, a Celtic fan in the pub pulled up his sleeve and had about six Rollex watches on his arm in between the puncture marks which he offered me for my ticket.
Can remember waiting to get in and Celtic officials were giving it tight to the Huns fans from the club offices.
The band were actually Italian, but the choice of Orange was unfortunate. When they came around behind the goals, and we're getting pelted, a Hibbies ran out of the crowd and put a scarf around one of the drummers. To be fair, we more than matched them that day, when they were at their peak and it WAS a penalty.

No it wasn´t (wink).