PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Diets

Haymaker
05-01-2013, 01:59 AM
Anyone know a good website to use to help plan a healthy diet? I am on a bit of a health kick and to be honest I know little about nutrition apart from the obvious stuff.

Pete
05-01-2013, 05:17 AM
If you have cereal or toast for breakfast then take five bits of fruit out with you then there will be no need for fancy diets! You might find yourself craving something and that will either be water or protein so maybe include some slices of cold meat or cheese.

You'll be fine to have whatever tea you fancy.

Matty_Jack04
05-01-2013, 06:14 AM
Dieting can be just as bad for you as they are good IMO, if you take up a specific diet say for 4 weeks then go back to your usual habits after that your body will take in more fat because its been 'starved' for the 4 week term, your better off trying to change your eating habits completely more like a lifestyle change and stick with it, obviously let yourself have treats, enough to reward yourself for being good or you'll sicken yourself.

Jack
05-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Not that I've tried any of that diet stuff :-) but if I was I'd start off by looking at NHS Inform.

Jay
05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Is it weightloss or a health kick?

Pretty Boy
06-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Paleo diet.

My mate who's into his bodybuilding put me onto it. Was sceptical at first but its amazing how much better I feel since starting it.

There's numerous websites that explain it in more detail but it essentially involves cutting out processed food, grains and dairy.

The idea is that you eat food that in theory you could hunt or gather yourself so fish, meat, Veg, nuts, fungi and roots.

Haymaker
08-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Is it weightloss or a health kick?

Not weightloss, I generally eat a lot of rubbish processed foods and want to change to a proper healthy diet. Turns out I know very little about nutrition.

Wembley67
08-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Substitute the white flour for brown grain and you are half way there...whole grain bread, pasta and brown rice...done, and it tastes so much better.

Snack on fruit, nuts and drink loads of water every day and you will be a lean muscle machine in no time - also feel so much more bright and alert.

Haymaker
08-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Substitute the white flour for brown grain and you are half way there...whole grain bread, pasta and brown rice...done, and it tastes so much better.

Snack on fruit, nuts and drink loads of water every day and you will be a lean muscle machine in no time - also feel so much more bright and alert.

Been eating a lot more fruit these past few days as well as making sure I have a breakfast (eating oat & whole grain flake cereal with fruit) and I am defo feeling better.

hibsbollah
09-01-2013, 05:10 AM
Eat less and exercise more. Everything else is just a scam to sell products, i'm afraid.

Haymaker
09-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Eat less and exercise more. Everything else is just a scam to sell products, i'm afraid.

While this is basically the extent of my knowledge - I eat really, really bad food and my doctor is not very impressed shall we say! So eating less of what I do now is not going to help.

I also have quite an active job and exercise a lot. I just eat junk.

Golden Bear
09-01-2013, 03:16 PM

:agree:

In a nutshell.

Golden Bear
09-01-2013, 03:20 PM
While this is basically the extent of my knowledge - I eat really, really bad food and my doctor is not very impressed shall we say! So eating less of what I do now is not going to help.

It's a change of eating habits you're after methinks. I dare say the popular interpretation of the word "diet" is a means of achieving weight loss.

Haymaker
09-01-2013, 03:25 PM
It's a change of eating habits you're after methinks. I dare say the popular interpretation of the word "diet" is a means of achieving weight loss.

I suppose I could have worded it different but "diet" to me means what you eat, not some fad thing for weightloss. Interpretation is a funny thing! :greengrin

Golden Bear
09-01-2013, 03:28 PM
I suppose I could have worded it different but "diet" to me means what you eat, not some fad thing for weightloss. Interpretation is a funny thing! :greengrin

:agree:

Best of luck in anycase.

No more crap pies at Easter Road for a start.

:greengrin

Pretty Boy
09-01-2013, 03:32 PM

Key thing is preparation imo.

When I first started eating a different diet i often came unstuck when i didn't have ingredients in the house so a ready meal or a sandwich or whatever was just convenient.

If your not in the habit of doing a big weekly shop that's always a good start. Plan meals and buy food accordingly. I quite often make 2 meals at once and put one in the fridge for the next day if i know I'm working late or whatever so there won't be a temptation to just get a take away.

Also allow yourself a treat now and then, don't stick rigidly to always eating good stuff, its a sure fire way to fail. When i first started eating a paleo diet i found the lack of bread really rough so I allow myself a few slices of toast or a slice of cake or something once or twice a week so I'm less inclined to cheat. The fact steak, chicken and salmon are regularly on the menu for me now means I now don't really miss crisps and coke.

Haymaker
09-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Cheers PB, I generally go and buy food on the day rather than planning, best get into that habit.

Gatecrasher
15-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Cheers PB, I generally go and buy food on the day rather than planning, best get into that habit.
There are a couple of great smartphone apps that keep track of your intake. I personally find it quite hard to stick to healthy eating. I know whats good for me and whats bad but I drink cola alot and I'm a bit of a fussy eater. Also portion sizes are a bit rubbish to me as well.

Hibrandenburg
15-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Just remember that food is a major part of a well balanced diet.

fat freddy
15-01-2013, 05:48 PM
keep away from the pizzas at easter road...apart from that, eat plenty of fruit, veg, rice, pasta, beans, nuts and pulses...avoid dead things.

ancienthibby
15-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Plus, consider eliminating all meat from your diet - that's red meat, white meat, pork, bacon etc.

Substitute oily fish, salmon, herring mackeral etc.

When shopping, 'let your eye linger over the deep vibrant colours' and choose them, be it fruit or veg, though veg is best.

Garnish all your food with deep green toppings, such as parsley, basil, watercress.

Add plenty of the onion family, white, green red and, of course, garlic!

Plus loads of mushrooms.

DO NOT eat bananas, unless they are organic.

Wembley67
15-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Plus, consider eliminating all meat from your diet - that's red meat, white meat, pork, bacon etc.

Substitute oily fish, salmon, herring mackeral etc.

When shopping, 'let your eye linger over the deep vibrant colours' and choose them, be it fruit or veg, though veg is best.

Garnish all your food with deep green toppings, such as parsley, basil, watercress.

Add plenty of the onion family, white, green red and, of course, garlic!

Plus loads of mushrooms.

DO NOT eat bananas, unless they are organic.

Why on earth would you consider eliminating all meat from your diet??? And depending on what you're doing, bananas are a fantastic source of energy..

Speedy
15-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Why on earth would you consider eliminating all meat from your diet??? And depending on what you're doing, bananas are a fantastic source of energy..

I was wondering this as well. I'm not an expert...just someone that eats a lot of chicken and bananas :greengrin

Wembley67
16-01-2013, 07:26 AM
I was wondering this as well. I'm not an expert...just someone that eats a lot of chicken and bananas :greengrin

I can appreciate dropping these food groups if you are on a specific diet but part of a balanced healthy diet at least the meat is essential.

iwasthere1972
16-01-2013, 02:25 PM
I can recommend those Tesco burgers. They're a runaway success. Get some now as they won't be around furlong.

Just_Jimmy
16-01-2013, 09:52 PM
I can recommend those Tesco burgers. They're a runaway success. Get some now as they won't be around furlong.

The woman in the tesco cafe asked me if i wanted anything on my burger earlier.

I said yeah. Five quid each way.

Winner!

lyonhibs
18-01-2013, 11:54 AM

More or less. "The basics" that the OP says he already has is all the knowledge you really need. Everything in moderation, do a decent amount of exercise, don't eat processed *****e, drink plenty of water and wholegrain/wholewheat over their processed "white" equivalent and you'll be fine.

The whole "dieting fad" industry is founded on people's ignorance and self confidence issues. A load of bollocks most of it, IMO.

IWasThere2016
18-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Mate of mine has lost 43lbs on Slimming World eating plan in 9 weeks!

jabis
18-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Just remember that food is a major part of a well balanced diet.

aswell as taking Tubbies advice,learn to cook,great fun with the radio on :agree: