PDA

View Full Version : Launching the ball up towards Zaliukas

Hibercelona
04-01-2013, 12:42 PM
One thing that frustrated me to no end last night was the amount of times that we launched the ball up towards Drago and nobody dared to try and challenge him. He seemed to win everything in the air with ease last night.

It's frustrating because Hearts were probably at their very best last night, where as (once again) we looked far from the team that we're capable of performing as.

We really should have beaten them. They really are *****.

:jamboak:

Biggie
04-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Always frustrated me this 'tactic'....for zaliukis, read McPherson, or Presley, or berry.....bloody annoying...as we've not had a striker that could really trouble hearts defenders in the air since Alan Gordon !..(someone will no doubt correct me here :na na:)

Greendub
04-01-2013, 12:50 PM
We should get it down and pass it, we all know they can, it's lead to some excellent goals this season, get's right on ma nips

Haha

patlowe
04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Always frustrated me this 'tactic'....for zaliukis, read McPherson, or Presley, or berry.....bloody annoying...as we've not had a striker that could really trouble hearts defenders in the air since Alan Gordon !..(someone will no doubt correct me here :na na:)

Mixu!

Edit: But you're right. It's particularly bad at Tynie where the players seem terrified of playing a pass. The one or two times we played it on the ground we caused them real problems last night.

hibsbollah
04-01-2013, 12:53 PM
It was very annoying. If we were going to hoof it, I'd like to have seen us aim for the corners, where Leigh and Doyle could have run at McHattie and the other boy. As it was we were just lumping it to their best defender.

Peevemor
04-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Mixu!

And Brewster to a lesser extent.

Hibercelona
04-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Another thing I found a bit frustrating was that Williams wasn't showing any initiative when he had the ball. There were plenty of times when he could have rolled the ball out wide so we could start a quick counter attack, but instead he would wait too long then end up booting it up in the air once all the Hearts players had gotten back into their positions.

I think if we had shown a bit more initiative last night and kept the ball down, we would have steam rollered them.

hibby rae
04-01-2013, 05:23 PM
And Brewster to a lesser extent.

Amadou Konte ;)

Pete
04-01-2013, 05:33 PM
I was going to say Garry O'Connor but he must be the only six foot plus guy we have had who could only jump 5' 10"

SaulGoodman
04-01-2013, 07:02 PM
He's our top goal scorer against the yams.

Unfortunately he had an off day last night..

3pm
04-01-2013, 07:08 PM
26 was put under no pressure last night. Very disappointing.

RIP
04-01-2013, 09:59 PM
I queried Pat Fenlon on his use of hoof during the "Meet the Manager" spot at the monthly LWT meeting before XMAS. As I recall he stressed that while his preference was to keep the ball down he could only do that when you have the players who are all comfortable with ball to feet. Sometimes, he said "You have to mix it up a bit" and get the ball into the opposition half.

Hibercelona
04-01-2013, 10:02 PM
I queried Pat Fenlon on his use of hoof at last months "Meet the Manager" spot at the monthly LWT meeting. As I recall he stressed that while his preference was to keep the ball down he could only do that when you have the players who are all comfortable with ball to feet. Sometimes, he said "You have to mix it up a bit" and get the ball into the opposition half.

Well I would have said to him, if the player isn't comfortable with the ball at his feet, then he isn't a footballer.

hibbysam
04-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Well I would have said to him, if the player isn't comfortable with the ball at his feet, then he isn't a footballer.

Then I would say to you I would rather have a back four that could defend well than a back four that were good with the ball at their feet.

Obviously both is a bonus but a defender should be their to defend.

Anyone remember Craig Rocastle? Played the role in CM extremely well.. when our keeper had the ball he would drop, take it off him and start the attacks, nothing to do with defenders.

IMO Claros should be dropping and taking it, but on that pitch last night would you really rather we risked playing the ball from the back where any bobble, bounce or slip could have cost us?

Hibercelona
04-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Then I would say to you I would rather have a back four that could defend well than a back four that were good with the ball at their feet.

Anyone remember Craig Rocastle? Played the role in CM extremely well.. when our keeper had the ball he would drop, take it off him and start the attacks, nothing to do with defenders.

IMO Claros should be dropping and taking it, but on that pitch last night would you really rather we risked playing the ball from the back where any bobble, bounce or slip could have cost us?

I lost count of the amount of times last night when players had far more space and time than they realized and ended up hoofing it aimlessly up the park (for Zaliukas to mop up) all because they panicked under no pressure what so ever.

I also lost count of the amount of times that players had plenty of space in the wide areas, but instead, the ball was launched straight down the middle (again, for Zaliukas to clear up).

There didn't appear to be any sense of game plan.

We defended well last night, but we wouldn't have needed to defend nearly as much, if we hadn't kept gifting away possession far too cheaply.

bob12345
05-01-2013, 12:25 AM

Watch Joe Allen of Liverpool, he does this every time. Centre halves go wide, he drops into the D and takes the ball. Best case scenario he turns, worst case scenario he passes it back to the keeper - who does what they would have done anyway and kicks it long.

monktonharp
05-01-2013, 12:37 AM
I was going to say Garry O'Connor but he must be the only six foot plus guy we have had who could only jump 5' 10"Tony Higgins:duck:

lucky
05-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Whilst the Yams CHs mopped everything up so did McPake and Hanlon. The yams played as many long balls as us but the difference was their wide midfielders were willing to chase lost causes and both had a bit of pace.

hibs4thecup1988
05-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Colin Nish :na na:

Hibbyradge
05-01-2013, 04:37 PM
I was going to say Garry O'Connor but he must be the only six foot plus guy we have had who could only jump 5' 10"

Konte only aspired to jumping 5'10"!