PDA

View Full Version : sports personality

Moulin Yarns
16-12-2012, 08:49 PM
From mobile 6228208 to vote for Andy Murray

bingo70
16-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Jessica Ennis deserves it just for that arse of hers....absolutely fantastic!

LeighLoyal
16-12-2012, 09:30 PM
If Murray was English I suspect he'd be the winner.

Sylar
16-12-2012, 09:32 PM
They've broken their own bloody rules by awarding Team GB "Team of the Year"!

cocopops1875
16-12-2012, 09:32 PM

Nah in a home olympic year that was the only outcome though reckon it could have went either way between Wiggo and Jess

stoneyburn hibs
16-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Comedy gold from Lennox Lewis :faf: , what a flump.

magpie1892
16-12-2012, 09:33 PM
4/11 on Wiggins. Buying money. Xmas paid for.

Biggie
16-12-2012, 09:35 PM
How the **** did they know andy hadn't won it?....do you think they flew that guy over with two trophies ?....I smell sheite....or for that matter, how did they know he was even placed ?

Pretty Boy
16-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Dare you to say that to his face!

LeighLoyal
16-12-2012, 09:38 PM

Lewis must have thought he was getting the award from Murray??? :faf:

cocopops1875
16-12-2012, 09:38 PM
How the **** did they know andy hadn't won it?....do you think they flew that guy over with two trophies ?....I smell sheite....or for that matter, how did they know he was even placed ?

interesting question
:top marks

Gerard
16-12-2012, 09:40 PM
interesting question
:top marks

I hope that the answer is equally interesting.

stoneyburn hibs
16-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Dare you to say that to his face!

Ha!, nah i will stick to being a keyboard hardman:take that

PatHead
16-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Nah in a home olympic year that was the only outcome though reckon it could have went either way between Wiggo and Jess

And there was me thinking Murray won an Olympic gold in London as well.

Thought Mo Farah was in with a better shout than Jess.

Jonnyboy
16-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Nice one :greengrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/20749871

cocopops1875
16-12-2012, 10:08 PM
And there was me thinking Murray won an Olympic gold in London as well.

Thought Mo Farah was in with a better shout than Jess.
Jess was the face of the games though, Dont get me wrong im not saying its right :wink: in my Opinion it should have been David Weir, to do what he did with the different distances is simply AMAZING :thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
16-12-2012, 10:14 PM

What a ridiculous statement!

Hibs Class
16-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Pretty small-minded view, IMHO.

surreyhibbie
16-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Jessica Ennis deserves it just for that arse of hers....absolutely fantastic!

:agree: very impressive...:greengrin

But happy with wiggo taking the top prize though..

surreyhibbie
16-12-2012, 10:34 PM

Wrong

He would have to win Wimbledon as well...

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-12-2012, 10:55 PM

As ridiculous as saying The Sun had an agenda against Liverpool FC?

Not at all, Tim Henman would have been a cert to win it if he'd have won a major.

Hibbyradge
16-12-2012, 10:59 PM

He would have been third.

Hibbyradge
16-12-2012, 11:00 PM

Not at all, Tim Henman would have been a cert to win it if he'd have won a major.

Not this year, he wouldn't.

pacorosssco
16-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Pretty small-minded view, IMHO. ive been on the sauce all day with my English friends. they are the best of people.i live abroad. i believe i am not small minded

it is naive to think the English don't believe they have seniority over us generally speaking and they do look at us as a lesser equal

bradley wiggins is a personality and deserves to win as did many others

as a scotsman id have love to seen murray win but its a phone vote and english people will vote english just as we will vote scottish. we are outnumbered

andy murray was beaten 4 times in major finals the english media jumped on the wagon until they thought he would never do it.

Guts. andy murray showed what the ... guts are made off and that in defeat you can rise again if you
KEEP ON KEEPIN ON the best of scottish traits

a bbc award is nice an olmypic medal and major win , the first ever for a scot is what is all about

HibbiesandtheBaddies
16-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Not this year, he wouldn't.

You're wrong. Tennis ranks higher in the British psyche than a 3rd tier olympic add on and, what is essentially, a mode of transport.

pacorosssco
16-12-2012, 11:24 PM

really?

Shrekko
16-12-2012, 11:26 PM

Incredibly naive to think that an English tennis player who'd achieved what Andy did wouldn't have at least been closer to winning.

I don't grudge Wiggins it- it's great to see someone with a good personality win it, but Andy's achievements this year are on a par with his.

TornadoHibby
16-12-2012, 11:30 PM

You're thinking far too deeply about this telephone voting 'thing '!!! :wink: :greengrin

TornadoHibby
16-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Incredibly naive to think that an English tennis player who'd achieved what Andy did wouldn't have at least been closer to winning.

I don't grudge Wiggins it- it's great to see someone with a good personality win it, but Andy's achievements this year are on a par with his.

Aye but with it being a 'live' telephone vote, how come they managed to get the third place award flown out to Miami for Andy Murray in less than 10 minutes after the voting lines 'closed'!???? :wink: :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
16-12-2012, 11:35 PM
You're wrong. Tennis ranks higher in the British psyche than a 3rd tier olympic add on and, what is essentially, a mode of transport.

Wiggins is the first British person to have won the Tour de France ever.

Ever.

If Murray wins Wimbledon next year, he'll win SPOTY.

TornadoHibby
16-12-2012, 11:35 PM
ive been on the sauce all day with my English friends. they are the best of people.i live abroad. i believe i am not small minded

it is naive to think the English don't believe they have seniority over us generally speaking and they do look at us as a lesser equal

as a scotsman id have love to seen murray win but its a phone vote and english people will vote english just as we will vote scottish. we are outnumbered

andy murray was beaten 4 times in major finals the english media jumped on the wagon until they thought he would never do it.

Guts. andy murray showed what the ... guts are made off and that in defeat you can rise again if you

a bbc award is nice an olmypic medal and major win , the first ever for a scot is what is all about

It's a legitimate phone vote then is it?

You sure about that???? :greengrin

pacorosssco
16-12-2012, 11:37 PM

and also if an englishman had surpassed redgrave as the greatest british olmpian of all time he would have been a shoe in

Hibbyradge
16-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, Chris Hoy won it in 2008.

A Scot and a cyclist.

GhostofBolivar
17-12-2012, 05:40 AM

Ever.

And the last time a British man won anything serious in tennis, senior members of the British government thought that Hitler was a good guy.

There's no substantial difference between their achievements. Tell me, how many men have won the Olympic tennis tournament and the US Open in the same year?

Usain Bolt over Messi for the overseas award again? Oh, yeah. Messi's never on the BBC...

Seriously, it's kind of pathetic. 16 times in 52 years a tennis player has been named Overseas Sports Personality of the Year and each time that player was reigning Wimbledon champion. It's obviously just a coincidence that Wimbledon is the BBC's flagship sporting event...

Lionel Messi scores 90 in a calender year, but does it on Sky and ITV...

hibbiedon
17-12-2012, 05:47 AM

Ever.

Thought Wiggins was born in Belgium ?

marinello59
17-12-2012, 06:22 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention, Chris Hoy won it in 2008.

A Scot and a cyclist.

I refuse to believe that.......we win nothing and its all because of the English. FACT. We should have our own sports personality award so we can give it to an Old Firm footballer every year.

Hibrandenburg
17-12-2012, 06:36 AM
And the last time a British man won anything serious in tennis, senior members of the British government thought that Hitler was a good guy.

There's no substantial difference between their achievements. Tell me, how many men have won the Olympic tennis tournament and the US Open in the same year?

Usain Bolt over Messi for the overseas award again? Oh, yeah. Messi's never on the BBC...

Seriously, it's kind of pathetic. 16 times in 52 years a tennis player has been named Overseas Sports Personality of the Year and each time that player was reigning Wimbledon champion. It's obviously just a coincidence that Wimbledon is the BBC's flagship sporting event...

Lionel Messi scores 90 in a calender year, but does it on Sky and ITV...

To be fair it is called "The BBC SPOTY".

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-12-2012, 07:20 AM

Aye, Leuven IIRC from my pre-season game research.

Hibs Class
17-12-2012, 07:22 AM

Wrong

He would have to win Wimbledon as well...

ive been on the sauce all day with my English friends. they are the best of people.i live abroad. i believe i am not small minded

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting it was small-mindedness that caused Murray to "only" come third. I was stating that IMO it is small minded of FH to suggest he missed out on winning because he wasn't English. In a "normal" year he would probably have won, but this year was a special year, and any of the 12 nominees would have been a worthy winner. Wiggins was a deserving winner, it was still some achievement for Murray to have come third and to do so there must have been a lot of votes for him from across the UK.

lord bunberry
17-12-2012, 07:54 AM

That's put the cat amongst the pigeons how many belgians voted for wiggins. if Andy Murray had been from Belgium he would have won i demand an enquiry

Scouse Hibee
17-12-2012, 08:13 AM

The Sun's editor did so what's your point? I suppose Mo Farah would have had a better chance if he was white!

Scouse Hibee
17-12-2012, 08:15 AM
really?

Yes.

Scouse Hibee
17-12-2012, 08:19 AM

Naive! He came third, I don't know how far behind he was first or second do you? Maybe Andy lost it on his personality rather than his achievements if you consider Wiggins to have such a good one.

JimBHibees
17-12-2012, 08:45 AM

Not on a par at all IMO Murray's are much better given he doesnt have the backing of a team who sacrifice themselves to support Wiggo. Murray's is an individual sport completely and won the Olympics, got to the Wimbledon final and won a major for the firs time in 70 odd years. I think it is a reasonable point to say if he was English he would have won.

lord bunberry
17-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Not on a par at all IMO Murray's are much better given he doesnt have the backing of a team who sacrifice themselves to support Wiggo. Murray's is an individual sport completely and won the Olympics, got to the Wimbledon final and won a major for the firs time in 70 odd years. I think it is a reasonable point to say if he was English he would have won.

But would he have won if he was Belgian that's the real question here

JimBHibees
17-12-2012, 08:48 AM
But would he have won if he was Belgian that's the real question here

2nd maybe. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
17-12-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm actually pleasantly surprised that Andy Murray was even third and it goes to show how much his stock has risen since his Wimbledon tears.

He is so focused on his game that he doesn't bother with PR and that affects his popularity. He also seems to grudge every smile so for him to be recognised last night is a considerable achievement and shows that there are a lot of people who can see the substance beyond the style, so to speak.

I wonder how many people voted for him because he's Scottish.

Hibbyradge
17-12-2012, 09:38 AM

Well, I guess it's a matter of opinion, but for me, winning a tennis match does not compare to winning a 3 week long endurance race covering 3500km.

Also, there are 4 Grand Slams every year and only one Tour de France.

Chris Hoy won in 2008 and as far as I know, he's a Scot.

Liz McColgan won in 1991 beating Will Carling and Gary Lineker, both of whom were darlings of the English media.

Hibi
17-12-2012, 09:39 AM

Fair enough, however wiggins really won the tour over the individual time trial stages of the race where he finished over 30 seconds ahead of his nearest rivals. Similar to his gold medal win where again it was all down to the individual, and lets not forget this was perhaps his 8th gold for Britain.

I'm pretty sure wiggins will have made plenty sacrifices to get himself into the physical shape capable of those achievements.

Unfortunately only one person could win, as was highlighted several times last night it was a great year for British sport and anyone would have been a worthy winner, apart from hoy who doesn't have a personality!

However like most things these days the success reflects the amount of money invested. Of course Hearts are the exception, £60m for two cups....

Danderhall Hibs
17-12-2012, 09:56 AM
What's with the conspiracy theories about there being a trophy over in Miami? I bet there were 2nd/3rd place and a 1st place replica in Miami and in Perth (for Hoy) just in case. I'm pretty sure there was a "spare" 3rd place trophy on the desk, which obviously they didn't have to give out because Murray won it.

Phil D. Rolls
17-12-2012, 10:29 AM
I wanted Wiggins to win from the start, he brought a bit of panache to his achievements this year. I'm sure that people would have given it to Murray had Bradley not won the TDF this year.

It's just so disappointing to see the pettiness of some of the posts on this thread. I despair about Scotland sometimes, the chip on the shoulder, the fight in an empty room, and I'm sure Andy Murray would be cringing at these attitudes.

Can't people just say "well done Bradley"? Why does there need to be a Scottish angle on everything - it's like the Monty Python "news for parrots sketch".

pacorosssco
17-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Yes.

:greengrin good response. If an englishman had won an olympic gold at wimbledon and the us open this year he would have beaten wiggins.

NOLA
18-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Aye but with it being a 'live' telephone vote, how come they managed to get the third place award flown out to Miami for Andy Murray in less than 10 minutes after the voting lines 'closed'!???? :wink: :rolleyes:

Were people not voting for who they thought would win?

NOLA
18-12-2012, 10:13 AM
The Sun's editor did so what's your point? I suppose Mo Farah would have had a better chance if he was white!

Aye he would, no question.

Scouse Hibee
18-12-2012, 10:53 AM
:greengrin good response. If an englishman had won an olympic gold at wimbledon and the us open this year he would have beaten wiggins.

There's no way we could find an englishman who is that good at tennis and cycling! I just refuse to believe it :greengrin

Hibbyradge
18-12-2012, 11:36 AM
I wanted Wiggins to win from the start, he brought a bit of panache to his achievements this year. I'm sure that people would have given it to Murray had Bradley not won the TDF this year.

It's just so disappointing to see the pettiness of some of the posts on this thread. I despair about Scotland sometimes, the chip on the shoulder, the fight in an empty room, and I'm sure Andy Murray would be cringing at these attitudes.

Can't people just say "well done Bradley"? Why does there need to be a Scottish angle on everything - it's like the Monty Python "news for parrots sketch".

Yep.

I've not seen any explanation as to how Chris Hoy won in 2008 or, indeed, how Andy Murray won Young Personality in 2004.

I wonder if the fact that cycling is a much more popular activity than tennis would have anything to do with Sunday night's result?

http://www.artizans.com/images/previews/ROS730.pvw.jpg

JimBHibees
18-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, I guess it's a matter of opinion, but for me, winning a tennis match does not compare to winning a 3 week long endurance race covering 3500km.

Also, there are 4 Grand Slams every year and only one Tour de France.

Chris Hoy won in 2008 and as far as I know, he's a Scot.

Liz McColgan won in 1991 beating Will Carling and Gary Lineker, both of whom were darlings of the English media.

Of course it is a matter of opinion. In 2008 there were many less people in the running to win and Hoy was the standout performer at Beijing. This year it has been much more competitive however to me there is still a grudging issue with many English people/press over anything that Murray does no doubt started when he was stitched up with the Anyone but England quote when he was 18.

Wiggins achievement is exceptional however to me it isnt in the same league as Murray's due to the power of the Sky team and competitors notably Froome having to follow team orders.

Hibbyradge
18-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Of course it is a matter of opinion. In 2008 there were many less people in the running to win and Hoy was the standout performer at Beijing. This year it has been much more competitive however to me there is still a grudging issue with many English people/press over anything that Murray does no doubt started when he was stitched up with the Anyone but England quote when he was 18.

Wiggins achievement is exceptional however to me it isnt in the same league as Murray's due to the power of the Sky team and competitors notably Froome having to follow team orders.

The most Tour de France titles ever won by an individual is 5 and only 4 people have ever achieved this.

There are 29 tennis players who have won 5 or more tennis Grand Slams. 7 of them are in double figures and Roger Federer has won 17. Fred Perry won 8.

That suggests to me that the Tour is much harder to win that a Grand Slam.

Danderhall Hibs
18-12-2012, 02:55 PM
The most Tour de France titles ever won by an individual is 5 and only 4 people have ever achieved this.

There are 29 tennis players who have won 5 or more tennis Grand Slams. 7 of them are in double figures and Roger Federer has won 17. Fred Perry won 8.

That suggests to me that the Tour is much harder to win that a Grand Slam.

Don't know if it's harder but there's definitely less opportunity. And Murray winning a Slam in the era of Federer, Djokovic and Nadal must be seen as a similar achievement to someone winning the Tour in the Lance Armstrong era?

With cycling being a team game is it fair to single out an individual?

Scouse Hibee
18-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Don't know if it's harder but there's definitely less opportunity. And Murray winning a Slam in the era of Federer, Djokovic and Nadal must be seen as a similar achievement to someone winning the Tour in the Lance Armstrong era?

With cycling being a team game is it fair to single out an individual?

That's a question that could be asked on this board every week when the usual suspects are crucified and blamed for defeats. :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-12-2012, 08:47 AM
That's a question that could be asked on this board every week when the usual suspects are crucified and blamed for defeats. :greengrin

HR will be along to tell us we more often than not blame any English players in our ranks soon. ;-)

Phil D. Rolls
20-12-2012, 01:13 PM

I don't think it is true that English people grudge Murray anything. They were right behind them at Wimbledon this year, and were genuinely upset when he lost. If he had won Wimbledon, I reckon he might have been Sports Personality, as they have wanted a British winner for so long. I think Wimbledon means a lot more to them than it does to us.

Given that he didn't win Wimbledon, and Wiggins won the Tour de France - another competition seen as world class, I think they voted on that basis.

It suspect that there would be Scots that would object to Murray being BBC Sports Personality, because he is Scottish and not British. In fact anything to have a whinge about the English and assert our seperateness. Much easier to do that than just to vote with Salmond.

--------
29-12-2012, 02:10 PM
I don't think it is true that English people grudge Murray anything. They were right behind them at Wimbledon this year, and were genuinely upset when he lost. If he had won Wimbledon, I reckon he might have been Sports Personality, as they have wanted a British winner for so long. I think Wimbledon means a lot more to them than it does to us.

Given that he didn't win Wimbledon, and Wiggins won the Tour de France - another competition seen as world class, I think they voted on that basis.

It suspect that there would be Scots that would object to Murray being BBC Sports Personality, because he is Scottish and not British. In fact anything to have a whinge about the English and assert our seperateness. Much easier to do that than just to vote with Salmond.

If Murray had won his major at Wimbledon in front of the BBC cameras there would have been no contest here.

Murray did his stuff in front of SKY cameras in the USA; tennis as a sport is part of the SKY package. It's about ratings and media coverage and as such, like all these things, the vote will be fixed - or at least "shaded" to produce a result that suits the channel.

I truly wonder why anyone wastes an evening watching the charade, myself, when they could have been watching La Liga or the NFL instead.

It's TV at the level of The Eurovision Song Contest or Big Brother. :doh:

Or even "Miss Marple". :rolleyes: