PDA

View Full Version : Scotsman (Sport): Andy Webster hails unity as fans and team bid to save Hearts

RSS Bot
26-11-2012, 08:30 PM
ANDY Webster has expressed his complete confidence Hearts will survive their current financial troubles after witnessing the unity of purpose among his fellow players and the club’s support in tackling the crisis.
The 30-year-old defender says he genuinely feared Hearts could go out of business when they initially announced the difficulties in meeting their obligations to HMRC almost three weeks ago.
But Webster feels a unanimous decision by the Hearts playing staff to buy shares in the club and then donate them back to the Hearts Youth Development Committee has typified the determination of everyone involved to ensure they step back from the brink of fiscal oblivion. The players have also agreed to wage deferrals while talks continue over the possibility of a supporter-led buyout of club owner Vladimir Romanov.
“It was an easy decision to make,” said Webster. “When they explained the circumstances the club is in, you wanted to try and help any way you can. We have done that from a players’ point of view and the fans have definitely rallied round. That has been great to see and it shows you just how big a club we are.
“It was a real prospect that the St Mirren game last week could have been our last. A lot of the boys have bought shares and handed them back to the club so from that point of view we realised how serious the circumstances are.
“We just wanted to help out in any small way. Everyone bought shares at the club and handed them back to HYDC. The players are just desperate to help in any way they can. With all that’s been happening I haven’t spoken to anyone at the top of the club for maybe a couple of weeks. They’re doing all they can down at Tynecastle to resolve the situation that we’re in.
“If and when new information arises, then they communicate it to the players, but right now we’re kind of letting them do their job and we can concentrate on the football side of it. In any situation you’re in, you need to try and focus on the positives. I know it’s difficult circumstances, but fans are getting right behind the football club and we need to use that.
“We’re all in it together and everyone is doing their bit for the club and our bit is on the pitch. If the fans’ response is anything to go by, then I’m now sure the club will survive. The fans have really rallied round the club which has been great to see and everyone at the football club appreciates what they’ve done. I don’t know the ins and outs of the fans’ proposed buy-out and how it would work.
“The institution that Hearts is, it’s been around for a long period of time and with the history the club has, then I think people would want the club to remain.”
The sale of players in January will be an obvious vehicle for Hearts to try to raise much-needed revenue and 30-year-old Scotland defender Webster may be among the top-earning members of the first-team squad falling into that bracket. “I’m not thinking about my own situation,” he insisted.
“I know it sounds like a bit of an old cliche, but from a players’ point of view we’ve got a massive game on Wednesday against Celtic and again at the weekend against Hibs and that’s what you look forward to.
“As far as what the future holds, you take it as it comes and deal with the situation at the time. When the club have information to give us on the situation they tell us as a group, so it’s not as if the senior players have to pass on information to others. It’s difficult for everyone, whether you’re an experienced player or a younger one just breaking through.
“But from the football side of it,we’ve definitely got a talented young bunch of players who are gaining a lot of SPL experience and European experience earlier in the season by coming into the first team.”
Although results on the pitch may be of secondary importance at the moment to the longer term health of the club, Hearts are nonetheless anxious to improve their unconvincing form.
“We need to look for more consistency in our game and where we are in the SPL table shows we lack consistency,” added Webster. “We need to concentrate on winning football matches because there’s definitely an opportunity to progress up the league. Our performances have been decent but our results must improve.
“Celtic have got quality throughout and you know you’ve got to step it up against them.
“We know we’ll be in for a tough game and must play to the best of our ability if we’ve got any chance of winning.”

More... (http://www.scotsman.com/andy-webster-hails-unity-as-fans-and-team-bid-to-save-hearts-1-2660853)