PDA

View Full Version : Alan Sneddon

sleeping giant
22-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Just been reading a wee bit about him and found out he's one of the very few people who have won two league winners medals in the same season for different teams :top marks

His testimonial against Villa must have passed me by. I can't remember it at all. I'm assuming i was there but i have no recollection of it whatsoever. Anyone there that can remember the match ?

I also remember him getting chopped down against Videoton (or was it Standard Leige) and fearing a leg break due to his and the players reaction . Cue "there's only one Alan Sneddon" and a few minutes later he was back on his feet:greengrin

Long live Alan Sneddon :flag:

bingo70
22-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Who did he have league winners medals for?

He was just before my time really but I always thought he was maybe a bit of a cult hero for being pish?

Have I got that wrong then?

Pretty Boy
22-10-2012, 08:51 PM

He was just before my time really but I always thought he was maybe a bit of a cult hero for being pish?

Premier league with Celtic, First division with Hibs.

Only caught the tail end of his career so can't remember if he was good or not.

sleeping giant
22-10-2012, 08:52 PM

He got league winners medal for Celtic and Hibs in 1981. Hibs won division 1 in 1981.

2 league medals in one season tells me he wasn't p1sh :greengrin

Jonnyboy
22-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Just been reading a wee bit about him and found out he's one of the very few people who have won two league winners medals in the same season for different teams :top marks

His testimonial against Villa must have passed me by. I can't remember it at all. I'm assuming i was there but i have no recollection of it whatsoever. Anyone there that can remember the match ?

I also remember him getting chopped down against Videoton (or was it Standard Leige) and fearing a leg break due to his and the players reaction . Cue "there's only one Alan Sneddon" and a few minutes later he was back on his feet:greengrin

Long live Alan Sneddon :flag:

Snoddy's testimonial was the famous Kenny Dalglish/Keith Wright match! Kenny sprayed the ball about/Keith scored all four goals

Ye must huv been drunk ya radge :greengrin

Jonnyboy
22-10-2012, 08:53 PM
He got league winners medal for Celtic and Hibs in 1981. Hibs won division 1 in 1981.

2 league medals in one season tells me he wasn't p1sh :greengrin

An unsung hero I'd say :agree:

sleeping giant
22-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Snoddy's testimonial was the famous Kenny Dalglish/Keith Wright match! Kenny sprayed the ball about/Keith scored all four goals

Remember it now :greengrin
Kenny hardly left the centre circle and still looked world class.

Jonnyboy
22-10-2012, 08:55 PM

World class and overweight and still the best player on the park :greengrin

Hiber-nation
22-10-2012, 08:59 PM

I remember some folk walking back up Easter Road after having a post match pint or 2 and there was King Kenny sitting in his posh motor outside the chippy scoffing a hamburger supper!

Sergey
22-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Ol' Popeye, eh!

I recall going up to Tannadice on a bitterly cold day when even the boiling hot Bovril didn't warm you up. I went for the pies at half time and missed a 25 yard screamer from him in the opening minute of the 2nd half. IIRC - he also scored the opener in the first minute - I was otherwise engaged just outside the ground :wink:.

He was the guest of honour a few years back at the London Hibs Burns Night. A true gent :agree:

sleeping giant
22-10-2012, 09:04 PM
I remember some folk walking back up Easter Road after having a post match pint or 2 and there was King Kenny sitting in his posh motor outside the chippy scoffing a hamburger supper!

:hilarious

Can't blame Petrie for that one :greengrin

Eyrie
22-10-2012, 09:42 PM
World class and overweight and still the best player on the park :greengrin

Only lasted 45 minutes though!

Was working down in Kelso that day and only just made it back for the game. Well worth it.

Prawn Sandwich
22-10-2012, 11:19 PM
I think I remember him scoring two goals against Arbroath (I think?) in a mid week cup game? I mainly remember thinking that some of his shots on goal would be picked up on the radar by RAF Leuchars and could cause air traffic problems.

jonny
23-10-2012, 01:29 AM
From what I remember of him he was absolutely murder - only saw him at the tail end of his career though.

Lucius Apuleius
23-10-2012, 04:58 AM
From what I remember of him he was absolutely murder - only saw him at the tail end of his career though.

thankfully saw him all through his career and murder is certainly not a word I would have used. As a gauge IMO he would walk into the present team.

Septimus
23-10-2012, 05:09 AM
Always rated him as a good steady full back.

weecounty hibby
23-10-2012, 05:49 AM
thankfully saw him all through his career and murder is certainly not a word I would have used. As a gauge IMO he would walk into the present team.

Spot on. Very steady, dependable full back. Great servant to the club through fairly difficult times. I too saw him throughout his time at Hibs and he took a lot of undeserved stick from some of our fans. See posts above. Even folk who didnt see much of him or rven at all saying he was pish!?!?!?!

O'Rourke3
23-10-2012, 06:39 AM
I think I remember him scoring two goals against Arbroath (I think?) in a mid week cup game? I mainly remember thinking that some of his shots on goal would be picked up on the radar by RAF Leuchars and could cause air traffic problems.

Alloa, League Cup tie. Definite cult hero but you had to be careful how you said cult.

Prawn Sandwich
23-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Alloa, League Cup tie. Definite cult hero but you had to be careful how you said cult.

Alloa....... That's right. We won 2-0 too. I've seen a lot worse players pull on a Hibs jersey particular over last 3-4 seasons.

NOLA
23-10-2012, 08:12 AM
i was there as a youngster but remember dalglish's performance was brilliant even just for 45mins, i was told he sent out for a chippy at halftime?

Bostonhibby
23-10-2012, 08:26 AM

:agree: Entirely, seen him in a Hibs shirt loads of times, very good player and by all accounts a very decent guy as well.

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2012, 08:26 AM
I remember him being a steady full back who sometimes played on the left, I also think he only had one eye?

He was unfairly compared to previous right backs we had, with Brownlie and Bremner being two of our best ever, he was never going to be good enough for some?

Speedway
23-10-2012, 11:15 AM

Alloa non?

jodjam
23-10-2012, 11:45 AM
i remember a peach of a goal he scored at Fir Park in a midweek game. Good steady player.

HibbyAndy
23-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Scored baith goals in a 2-0 home win over Alloa:cb:cb

superfurryhibby
23-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Sneddon had a long Hibs career and played through one of our shoddiest periods football wise. Signed when we were in the first division and played on until the early nineties. I remember meeting him back then and he was definitely a decent bloke with time for fans chat.

Football wise, I think there is a touch of the green tinted spectacles going on for some. I never remember him as being all that capable. He did get pelters from the fans and was fairly error prone. In my view it was indicative of the poor standards we suffered through the 80's that Alan played so many games for us

PatHead
23-10-2012, 12:05 PM
I remember him being a steady full back who sometimes played on the left, I also think he only had one eye?

He was unfairly compared to previous right backs we had, with Brownlie and Bremner being two of our best ever, he was never going to be good enough for some?

Think you are correct about the eye, was he not known as Cyclops?

Barney McGrew
23-10-2012, 12:42 PM
I recall going up to Tannadice on a bitterly cold day when even the boiling hot Bovril didn't warm you up. I went for the pies at half time and missed a 25 yard screamer from him in the opening minute of the 2nd half

It was an absolute raker, McAlpine in the Arabs goal never moved as it flew past him.

allezsauzee
23-10-2012, 12:47 PM
He wasn't the most inventive going forward but rock solid and always gave 100%

Future17
23-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Did his departure/decline herald the arrival of Willie Miller at RB?

jdships
23-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Think you are correct about the eye, was he not known as Cyclops?

Quite correct and often referred to it with a smile and a bit of banter - a really nice bloke who always had time for a chat if you met him outwith football ..
As a player I would rate him a 6/10 regular but now and again only a 5/10
:flag:

meeks0-7
23-10-2012, 02:03 PM
i was there as a youngster but remember dalglish's performance was brilliant even just for 45mins, i was told he sent out for a chippy at halftime?

If I recall when asked to play his only request was that he was subbed at half time and that there was a white pudding supper and a bottle of cream soda in the dressing room for him!

Still got a photo of him in his Hibs top standing applauding Sneddon onto the pitch!

Bobo
25-10-2012, 09:10 PM

The Hibs strip does that to players doesn't it :wink: