PDA

View Full Version : 1972 League Cup Final

SonOfDavidFrancey
14-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Anorak question. I know Johnny Hamilton is listed as substitute for 1972 league cup final, but did he come on?

Jonnyboy
14-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Anorak question. I know Johnny Hamilton is listed as substitute for 1972 league cup final, but did he come on?

Nope, unused

Edit: Confirmation here http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=3259

Kaiser_Sauzee
14-10-2012, 09:25 PM

He collected his medal in his tracksuit so I don't think he did.

darwenhibby
14-10-2012, 09:28 PM

I think he came on for a period:wink:

HoboHarry
15-10-2012, 12:25 AM
On this type of question, in the Scottish Cup final in 1979 when we played Rangers 3 times there was a young player called Steven Brown (?) Anyone know what happened to him? How did his career go after that?

StevieT
15-10-2012, 07:01 AM
On this type of question, in the Scottish Cup final in 1979 when we played Rangers 3 times there was a young player called Steven Brown (?) Anyone know what happened to him? How did his career go after that?

I played alongside him at Whitehill Welfare but don't know what happened after that.

hibIBZ
15-10-2012, 08:04 AM
steven brown lives in a place called west linton were i grew up. all i know after leaving hibs he went south but it didnt work out. he knows my dad watched him playing a mess around game once and he scored 6 goals, 2 with his head,2 with his right and 2 with his left. i dont live near him now but last i heard he had been ill after suffering a stroke, but i believe he is on the mend

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-10-2012, 10:09 AM
And what became of Hamilton, I know he joined sevco but what happened after that?

From memory of him he never looked interested while playing in a Hibs jersey..

Part/Time Supporter
15-10-2012, 10:14 AM
And what became of Hamilton, I know he joined sevco but what happened after that?

http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/player/johnnyhamilton1.htm

Played for Millwall for five minutes, St. Johnstone for about 18 months, then into the juniors.

heretoday
15-10-2012, 10:51 AM

Johnny Hamilton was successful in the late 70s team at Rangers. Hard to believe.

lapsedhibee
15-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Gossip was that he was always more concerned with the score in the Huns game than the one he was playing in, but I don't know if that was true. Might just have been anti-Sevco propaganda, because everyone's against them you know, because they're proddies 'n'at.

--------
15-10-2012, 04:00 PM

IIRC he scored in a Cup-tie against Aberdeen straight from KO - timed about 17 seconds. I think he was also a member of the team that won 6 in a row when we were managerless between Bob Shankly and Willie Mac - scored in the win against Celtic at Parkhead? And he played regularly for Willie, unless I'm totally mistaken, and played pretty well.

I thought he was a pretty decent player under Willie, but drifted out of contention when ET arrived.

ancient hibee
15-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Scored a goal every 3/4 games-not bad for a midfielder-always thought he was a pretty wholehearted player and was sorry when he left.

Ray_
15-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Scored a goal every 3/4 games-not bad for a midfielder-always thought he was a pretty wholehearted player and was sorry when he left.

I'm with you there, we let Hammy have a free to Rankers and brought in Alex McGregor from Ayr for similar.

fatbloke
15-10-2012, 05:44 PM
IIRC he scored in a Cup-tie against Aberdeen straight from KO - timed about 17 seconds. I think he was also a member of the team that won 6 in a row when we were managerless between Bob Shankly and Willie Mac - scored in the win against Celtic at Parkhead? And he played regularly for Willie, unless I'm totally mistaken, and played pretty well.

I thought he was a pretty decent player under Willie, but drifted out of contention when ET arrived.

Sure it was Joe Baker not Hamilton and was timed at 11 seconds IIRC.

Kato
15-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Might as well ask this here.

Did Pat Stanton not score a goal early in a game, like in 10secs?

Purple & Green
15-10-2012, 08:14 PM
If you can give me a bit detail K, like h/a, opposition, cup/league, saturday/midweek, autumn/winter I'll investigate.

Kato
15-10-2012, 08:19 PM
If you can give me a bit detail K, like h/a, opposition, cup/league, saturday/midweek, autumn/winter I'll investigate.

Dunno, mate. It's not from memory, something I read or was told years ago - Pat Stanton
6(?) seconds from kicking off. ??:confused:

Purple & Green
15-10-2012, 08:40 PM

Sounds like this game:

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=3216

Evening times reports:

"Skipper Pat Stanton won the toss for Hibs, and elected to play uphill. Joe Harper kicked off for the dons. John Hamilton a tussle for the ball in midfield, pushed it forward to Alan Gordon who in turn sent a perfect through ball to O' ROURKE. The inside man was completely unmarked as he carried the ball two yards inside the 18-yard line before hitting it low and true to the back of the net. Time on stopwatch showed 15 seconds dead. No wonder Easter Road erupted."

Famous5forever
15-10-2012, 08:53 PM

this event happened 40 years ago FFS Just sayin.Can we please move onto where we are now.:pfgwa

Jonnyboy
15-10-2012, 09:13 PM
this event happened 40 years ago FFS Just sayin.Can we please move onto where we are now.:pfgwa

There's dozens of threads on where we are now - go read them

The title was a giveaway

hibernia_inn
16-10-2012, 12:04 AM

The title was a giveaway

Well Said...............Wasn't there a rumour that WEE Jimmy decked the said Johnny Hamilton for his alleged allegiance to Der Hun after a game against them at Easter Road in 72/73 or 73/74?

Hibs07p
16-10-2012, 05:10 AM
I seem to remember Cropley scoring an early goal in a European game V FC Besa, maybe. IIRC someone hit a shot of the bar, it went right up in the air, and Crops was almost on his knees waiting on it coming back down before heading it in, up at the Dunbar end. Knowing my memory, it's probably a load of pish though.

Purple & Green
16-10-2012, 07:07 AM
I seem to remember Cropley scoring an early goal in a European game V FC Besa, maybe. IIRC someone hit a shot of the bar, it went right up in the air, and Crops was almost on his knees waiting on it coming back down before heading it in, up at the Dunbar end. Knowing my memory, it's probably a load of pish though.

Sounds correct: The Times says that Cropley & O' Rourke scored in 60 seconds around the 11th minute.

Hibs07p
16-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Sounds correct: The Times says that Cropley & O' Rourke scored in 60 seconds around the 11th minute.

Well my memory is not too bad then, but I thought it was in the first minute though. :greengrin

heretoday
16-10-2012, 10:06 AM

You're right. Cup Winners Cup. One of the most memorable goals ever seen at Easter Road.

H113EE5
16-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Happiest day of my life. My beloved team :hibees:hibees:hibees:hibees won the cup and oh aye........ I got married. 40th Anniversary of both in a few week time :aok::aok::aok::aok:

MM19
16-10-2012, 02:58 PM

I remember a game at Brockville where we scored straight from kick off something like maybe 10 seconds. I think we were 2-0 up and they came back to 2-2 we won 3-2 with Joe Baker scoring a diving header to win the game.

Purple & Green
16-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I remember a game at Brockville where we scored straight from kick off something like maybe 10 seconds. I think we were 2-0 up and they came back to 2-2 we won 3-2 with Joe Baker scoring a diving header to win the game.

This game here:

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=3212

Evening Times says:

"A sensational start at Brockville Park when Hibs hit the jackpot in just 10 seconds. Stanton shot a beautiful ball through to HAMILTON and the little winger wasted no time in hammering the ball into the far corner of the net."

I've been searching for Hibs first minute goals for years and never found that one before.

MM19
16-10-2012, 03:15 PM
This game here:

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=3212

Evening Times says:

"A sensational start at Brockville Park when Hibs hit the jackpot in just 10 seconds. Stanton shot a beautiful ball through to HAMILTON and the little winger wasted no time in hammering the ball into the far corner of the net."

I've been searching for Hibs first minute goals for years and never found that one before.
That's the one. If I remember right it was Ferguson that broke Cropley's ankle.

Iggy Pope
16-10-2012, 08:59 PM

Away ya plum. If it wasn't for the things that happened then, you would.nt have a team now. Even if you are a Yam.

Jonnyboy
16-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Away ya plum. If it wasn't for the things that happened then, you would.nt have a team now. Even if you are a Yam.

:tee hee:

Anybody else spot the irony of a poster called famous5forever complaining about us discussing an old game or two :greengrin

Iggy Pope
16-10-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm with you there, we let Hammy have a free to Rankers and brought in Alex McGregor from Ayr for similar.

That name is ringing no bells at all. Any info on him? I was distraught when Johnny Hamilton went to the Huns as I seen him as the 12th Tornado in my child's mind. Remember nowt about Alex McGregor though.

lapsedhibee
16-10-2012, 09:10 PM
That's the one. If I remember right it was Ferguson that broke Cropley's ankle.

Ferguson's behaviour later described by ET as "cowardly".

Jonnyboy
16-10-2012, 09:11 PM
That name is ringing no bells at all. Any info on him? I was distraught when Johnny Hamilton went to the Huns as I seen him as the 12th Tornado in my child's mind. Remember nowt about Alex McGregor though.

Signed McGregor on a free at the start of the 1973/74 season. Signed Iain Munro from St Mirren at the same time

ancient hibee
16-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Signed McGregor on a free at the start of the 1973/74 season. Signed Iain Munro from St Mirren at the same time

Don't think McGregor played a game.

Iggy Pope
16-10-2012, 09:22 PM

Did he make an appearance.? Not registering at all. Iain Munro on the other hand.....one of Turmbull's more mystifying decisions that one. Marvellous player. More Fs in Fyffe than there are in mystifying! And less Ys! And he might as well have played in a pair of them.

Jonnyboy
16-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Don't think McGregor played a game.

I think that's right :agree: We had the very promising Derek Spalding and part way through the season we signed Roy Barry so McGregor never made it beyond the reserves

Jonnyboy
16-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Did he make an appearance.? Not registering at all. Iain Munro on the other hand.....one of Turmbull's more mystifying decisions that one. Marvellous player. More Fs in Fyffe than there are in mystifying! And the less Ys! And he might as well have played in a pair of them.

See post #36 and #38 :greengrin

Iggy Pope
16-10-2012, 09:32 PM
I think that's right :agree: We had the very promising Derek Spalding and part way through the season we signed Roy Barry so McGregor never made it beyond the reserves

Derek Spalding! Always seemed to be in the wrong place, wrong time. Other than an eventful night against Celtic at ER In a force 9 gale when he scored a belter from about 800 yards and Alex Edwards toyed his way round the Tic defence, placing endless crosses right under their ****ing crossbar ( Roy Baines??????) with a sadly toothless Hibs frontline unable to capitalise. 1 1 should have been 6 1......

Purple & Green
16-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Alex McGregor signed from Ayr in May 73, and as stated above never made a competitive appearance for Hibs before moving on to Shrewsbury Town in January 1975. He later played for Aldershot and Farnborough Town.

Ray_
16-10-2012, 09:37 PM

He ended up at Aldershot and back at Ayr apparently.

http://www.theshots.co.uk/news/Aldershot45814.ink

--------
17-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Sounds like this game:

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=3216

Evening times reports:

"Skipper Pat Stanton won the toss for Hibs, and elected to play uphill. Joe Harper kicked off for the dons. John Hamilton a tussle for the ball in midfield, pushed it forward to Alan Gordon who in turn sent a perfect through ball to O' ROURKE. The inside man was completely unmarked as he carried the ball two yards inside the 18-yard line before hitting it low and true to the back of the net. Time on stopwatch showed 15 seconds dead. No wonder Easter Road erupted."

THAT's it. Knew Hammy was involved, but obviously the old brain's going. Thought it was Seamus-Gordon-Hammy-GOAL! instead if Hammy-Gordon-Seamus. Ta.

I liked Hammy. Once again Hibs let a decent player go, then replace him with something well inferior?

PatHead
17-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Ferguson's behaviour later described by ET as "cowardly".

Asked ET for his opinion on Ferguson a few years ago. (was unaware of the foul). Didn't have a good word to say about Ferguson due to that incident. As usual never sat on the fence telling you about it either! God could he call a spade a spade!

sahib
17-10-2012, 06:33 PM

The title was a giveaway

I have a vague memory of Hamilton scoring with a very weak header, from about eighteen yards. Peter McCloy was in goal but I can't remember who he was playing for. ( McCLoy that is not Hammy). Any ideas JB?

cabbageandribs1875
17-10-2012, 07:09 PM
came across this on my google travels

http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/86ehTj9musowwvyasiJisw199903/GW392H390

we should revert back to those prices :greengrin

Feed McGraw
17-10-2012, 08:00 PM

That was for a seat in the stand, can`t remember the terracing price, but it would have been much cheaper than that.

cabbageandribs1875
17-10-2012, 08:13 PM
That was for a seat in the stand, can`t remember the terracing price, but it would have been much cheaper than that.

i was in the comfort/luxury of the main stand with my late faither and friends :greengrin was it less than £1 for the terracing then ? still a rather cheap price for some excellent entertainment :)

Feed McGraw
17-10-2012, 08:46 PM
i was in the comfort/luxury of the main stand with my late faither and friends :greengrin was it less than £1 for the terracing then ? still a rather cheap price for some excellent entertainment :)

I`m sure it was under a £1 for the terracing, just can`t recall the exact price. I was a scarf round the wrist almost 17 year old at the time and was in the corner 3/4 of the way up on the west terracing with the bulk of the Hibs support.

Jonnyboy
17-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I have a vague memory of Hamilton scoring with a very weak header, from about eighteen yards. Peter McCloy was in goal but I can't remember who he was playing for. ( McCLoy that is not Hammy). Any ideas JB?

Motherwell or Rangers but I cannae mind which either :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
17-10-2012, 09:22 PM
I`m sure it was under a £1 for the terracing, just can`t recall the exact price. I was a scarf round the wrist almost 17 year old at the time and was in the corner 3/4 of the way up on the west terracing with the bulk of the Hibs support.

thank god fashion changed over the years :whistle:

SonOfDavidFrancey
17-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Just to take the discussion in a different direction. (I am the OP. I was 11 at the time of that cup final and my dad took me to the match. I think we were standing over towards what used to be called the Rangers end at Hampden on the side opposite the main stand with the QPFC logo. With about 10 or 20 mins to go (after all three goals I think)a big fight broke out just in that corner. There was a Hibs boy, a bit older than me, who had been slashed in the head. |His friends were telling him to go to the ambulance men. He said he wouldn't go, and - blood pouring down - I heard him say he wanted to see Hibs win the cup. Does that boy read hibs.net?

--------
18-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Motherwell or Rangers but I cannae mind which either :greengrin

Don't worry, John. If you can remember what you were doing back in those days ...

... you weren't doing it. :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
18-10-2012, 06:11 AM

As long as we don't revert to the wages were on as well. :wink:

Purple & Green
18-10-2012, 07:46 AM

Hamilton scored 5 times against Motherwell in 6 games, but McCloy was never in goals, and he never scored against Rangers by my reckoning.

cabbageandribs1875
18-10-2012, 09:41 AM
As long as we don't revert to the wages were on as well. :wink:

just ran a wee price check on a site that calculates how much it would have been in today's dosh, allowing for inflation as well and it came up with £1.50 in 1972 is equivalant to £16.71 now, bring those prices down Mr SPL :) players wage demands doesn't help of course

p.s. a pint of bevvy costing £3 today would have cost 27p in 1972

:smokin costing £7 today would have cost 63p

Lucius Apuleius
18-10-2012, 10:00 AM
just ran a wee price check on a site that calculates how much it would have been in today's dosh, allowing for inflation as well and it came up with £1.50 in 1972 is equivalant to £16.71 now, bring those prices down Mr SPL :) players wage demands doesn't help of course

:top marks However, I was on £9.60p per week then, so this equates to about 15% of my wages. Current Season Ticket is less than one days wages :wink:

Ray_
18-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Pint of Tankard in November 1974 = 22p, with lager at 25p and this was in my local in Bethnal Green, London. 10 No6 ciggies, cost less than 10p, early 1974 in Reddish, Greater Manchester.

For some reason, those prices always stuck with me, may have been my lifestyle then. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
18-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I was too young to drink in 1972 and haven't got a clue what my League Cup Final ticket cost. Maybe 75p but as my wages were only £6 at the time it was still about 12 per cent of my earnings. I do remember getting 8 pints for £1 in 1973. It was Ushers and horrible.

--------
18-10-2012, 04:06 PM
I was too young to drink in 1972 and haven't got a clue what my League Cup Final ticket cost. Maybe 75p but as my wages were only £6 at the time it was still about 12 per cent of my earnings. I do remember getting 8 pints for £1 in 1973. It was Ushers and horrible.

You must have had some hangover the next morning.

Belhaven Heavy - 16 pence a pint in Bennet's Bar up by the King's Theatre in 1974. Lovely.

(Or so I've been told. :wink:)

iwasthere1972
18-10-2012, 04:28 PM
You must have had some hangover the next morning.

Belhaven Heavy - 16 pence a pint in Bennet's Bar up by the King's Theatre in 1974. Lovely.

(Or so I've been told. :wink:)

I was only seventeen at the time and could drink like a horse.

Golden Bear
18-10-2012, 04:38 PM
I still have the Evening News "Gilzean" caricature poster safely tucked away in the attic.

:thumbsup:

cabbageandribs1875
18-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Pint of Tankard in November 1974 = 22p, with lager at 25p and this was in my local in Bethnal Green, London. 10 No6 ciggies, cost less than 10p, early 1974 in Reddish, Greater Manchester.

For some reason, those prices always stuck with me, may have been my lifestyle then. :greengrin

it was consulate for me the first few years, hoping my parents would just smell the menthol :rolleyes:
also because there was green on the packet

http://echostains.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/consulate2.jpg

:greengrin

WindyMiller
18-10-2012, 06:16 PM
When I look back, I regret coming back on the bus and going straight off to meet a young lady at "Nicky Tams".

Should have went and watched the team parading the cup.

I foolishly thought that I'd get many more chances to see us parade the cup.

Although later that night I couldnae have cared less about a cup! :wink:

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-10-2012, 06:27 PM
We got away mega sharpish after they Pat held the cup up and the three of us just sailed through any Glesga traffic and we were in nobles at half 6 :cb

Don't really remember much of the night but after a Leith pub crawl hud me in ma bed for twenty four hours efter it! :greengrin

Feed McGraw
18-10-2012, 08:50 PM
I still have the Evening News "Gilzean" caricature poster safely tucked away in the attic.

:thumbsup:

Me too, tucked away in the same place. Well I mean my attic, not your attic. :greengrin

Biggie
18-10-2012, 08:58 PM
That was a real purple patch for hibs, I remember us beating airdrie away 5-2, and we pumped Ayr as well, then the New Year's Day game, and hibs were flying.....then it went tits up once jb broke his leg....the ups and downs of football eh?....but nothing will take the memories of nov,dec 1972, and the start of 1973

Feed McGraw
18-10-2012, 09:17 PM
That was a real purple patch for hibs, I remember us beating airdrie away 5-2, and we pumped Ayr as well, then the New Year's Day game, and hibs were flying.....then it went tits up once jb broke his leg....the ups and downs of football eh?....but nothing will take the memories of nov,dec 1972, and the start of 1973

Great times indeed. Think it was actually 6-2 v. Airdrie and I think we won 5-2 v. Dun. Utd around about then too.

Ray_
19-10-2012, 01:51 PM

:agree: We also totally outclassed United, in Dundee and ironically the first fixture after that disastrous East Fife match, was a repeat and we were beaten 3-1. The only plus, Des Bremner made his debut in said game, in Onion's RB position.

cabbageandribs1875
19-10-2012, 04:39 PM

beat ayr 8-1, and also battered st.johnstone 7-1 the season before/after(one or the other)

Golden Bear
19-10-2012, 04:40 PM
beat ayr 8-1, and also battered st.johnstone 7-1 the season before/after(one or the other)

Jeez I wish my memory was as good as some of you guys!

cabbageandribs1875
19-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Jeez I wish my memory was as good as some of you guys!

i can only remember the large scorelines, although having been at both games i have no recollection of how the games went, i can only just remember how the game with st.johnstone went a couple of weeks ago :( rosenberg 9-2(i think) was another one around that time, also a game at pinkcastle, think we won by 7 :)

snooky
19-10-2012, 05:00 PM
IIRC, Hammy's nickname was "Cowboy" - don't know why.
Maybe because he had the gait of a gunslinger :cb