PDA

View Full Version : "Real football fans"

theonlywayisup
06-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Can't remember who it was, but one of the managers interviewed on BBC Scotland said that the fans that travel away from hom are the "real football fans". I think it was Peter Houston, the Dundee Utd manager.

So what do you think, the fans that travel to away games are "the real football fans".

Discuss!!!

I have had my time travelling away to venues like the old Dumbarton ground etc, and don't do it anymore. Am I a part-time fan, notwithstanding the fact I buy a season ticket for myself and two sons.

S.sct
06-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Can't remember who it was, but one of the managers interviewed on BBC Scotland said that the fans that travel away from hom are the "real football fans". I think it was Peter Houston, the Dundee Utd manager.

So what do you think, the fans that travel to away games are "the real football fans".

Discuss!!!

I have had my time travelling away to venues like the old Dumbarton ground etc, and don't do it anymore. Am I a part-time fan, notwithstanding the fact I buy a season ticket for myself and two sons.

Can see what he's saying but you support your team so i would say you were a "real football fan

HibeeN
06-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I caught a bit of that interview today, think he said it and then tried to qualify it a bit by saying something like "obviously there are fans who work or can't afford it etc etc".

I've got a ST, but rarely go to away games. Mostly because of the money, sometimes because of travel, sometimes other commitments. I think the away support plays a big part in games, and it's always good when there is a big crowd, whether it's Hibs fans travelling in numbers or away fans at Easter Road.

But I don't think it's really fair to talk about 'real' fans. At the end of the day, I'm sure Dundee Utd are grateful for all the money their ST cough up - and only some of those will be regular travelling supporters. And if it wasn't for PATG fans, then the crowds would be lower still.

It's not a very nice kind of debate - as long as you support your team, it shouldn't matter which way you do it, as long as you do in one way or another, whether that is season tickets, merchandise, or even just tuning into the radio on a Saturday afternoon and hoping along with all the other fans that your team manages a win. :agree:

thebakerboy
06-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Yes I am a part time supporter as well , I've been to all the top grounds in Scotland and quite a few of the not so good but not too often. I have been going to Easter Road every year since 1951 so I suppose I am not a real football supporter. By the way I do have ESPN and a sky multiroom set up so I watch all the football that is on tv but that does not make me a football person , go on tell my wife that.

theonlywayisup
06-10-2012, 10:22 PM
I caught a bit of that interview today, think he said it and then tried to qualify it a bit by saying something like "obviously there are fans who work or can't afford it etc etc".

I've got a ST, but rarely go to away games. Mostly because of the money, sometimes because of travel, sometimes other commitments. I think the away support plays a big part in games, and it's always good when there is a big crowd, whether it's Hibs fans travelling in numbers or away fans at Easter Road.

But I don't think it's really fair to talk about 'real' fans. At the end of the day, I'm sure Dundee Utd are grateful for all the money their ST cough up - and only some of those will be regular travelling supporters. And if it wasn't for PATG fans, then the crowds would be lower still.

It's not a very nice kind of debate - as long as you support your team, it shouldn't matter which way you do it, as long as you do in one way or another, whether that is season tickets, merchandise, or even just tuning into the radio on a Saturday afternoon and hoping along with all the other fans that your team manages a win. :agree:

Agree. Home fans provide financial income to their club and vocal support. Away fans provide only the latter (unless it is a cup game)! I know which fans the football chairmen would prefer!

Steve-O
06-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Away fans are the hardcore :agree:

I used to go to loads of away games. Still not been to a Wellington Phoenix away game though. Bit tricky when every one of them is at least a 4 hour international flight away :greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
06-10-2012, 10:47 PM

Discuss!!!

Away fans are like Platinum members.

Sounds like you're a Silver/Gold member these days.

iwasthere1972
06-10-2012, 11:03 PM
The real football fans are the ones who attend the home games thereby putting the coffers into their club. :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-10-2012, 11:27 PM
That is a strange one for Peter Houston to come up with, given that United bring not much more than a token support to ER. I would say that real football fans are those that follow their team for real football reasons.

Haymaker
06-10-2012, 11:33 PM
I hate this "real" football fans bull****. Just because I couldnt get to games easily (and certainly no now!) doesnt mean I support Hibs any more or any less than anyone else.

LancashireHibby
06-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Anyone who supports their club even when times go bad is considered a "proper" fan in my book.

beensaidbefore
07-10-2012, 12:07 AM
That is a strange one for Peter Houston to come up with, given that United bring not much more than a token support to ER. I would say that real football fans are those that follow their team for real football reasons.

Perhaps this is a coded message to the Utd fans to get their finger out and start supporting their team away from home in more substantial numbers.

Liberal Hibby
07-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Every game at Easter Road is an away game for me.

joe breezy
07-10-2012, 02:07 AM
Away supports are nearly always better than home supports

Exceptions I can think of: Millwall, Stoke not sure I can think of any others...

marinello59
07-10-2012, 06:50 AM
I am sure the guys who go to Tannadice for every home game but don't do Away games were delighted to hear Houston say this.

Alfred E Newman
07-10-2012, 07:00 AM
The real football fans are the ones who attend the home games thereby putting the coffers into their club. :wink:

The real fans are the ones that cough up money for season tickets or turn up to pay at the gate when their team has just escaped relegation by the skin of their teeth and been beaten 5-1 by their deadliest rivals in the cup final.

Jack
07-10-2012, 08:40 AM
An interesting marketing ploy to try a fill up the empty away end at tannadump while acknowledging the home crowd will never grow while he takes his team to the foot of the league.

hibsbollah
07-10-2012, 08:46 AM

This :agree:

I heard the interview in the car, and thought Houston had lost his train of thought and was just rambling. Then Craig Brown came on and things got worse. SPL managers know how to spraff nonsense. Pat by contrast is usually short sensible and to the point.

ekhibee
07-10-2012, 11:41 AM
It's ironic that he's talking about away fans, Dundee Utd have a **** home support never mind away. For years they had the record of the lowest attendance in the SPL (although not now).

Keith_M
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
TBF, I kinda get what he's saying, although I imagine he now regrets saying it.

I think there are some real sensitive souls on here at times that get sooo offended by a misplaced statement from some other clubs manager.

I suppose we just have little to complain about at our own club at the moment so have to look elsewhere for our moans, which is no bad thing :greengrin

3pm
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Who gives a 4-x what Peter Houston thinks? When did he last pay to get into a game?

heretoday
07-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Hibs used to have a big away following in the 70s but I would say a lot of us were there for a day out and a good bevvy as much as to support the team!

NAE NOOKIE
07-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Folk who follow their team home and away are probably what you would call uber fans. But there are a number of factors to be considered which stop folk following their club all over the country.

I would say that I am probably a typical football fan:

I go to every home game, but pick and choose my away games for the following reasons.

1) ... my partner hates football and if I was away every weekend I doubt she would be too pleased. I would guess that unless you have a partner who supports the Hibs as well away matches are a single persons game.

2) ... Dont think I could afford the petrol. Its an 80ish mile round trip to home games.

Having said that .... I'm seriously thinking of going to Motherwell, could be a cracker :greengrin

jamieross
07-10-2012, 05:40 PM
I hate this "real" football fans bull****. Just because I couldnt get to games easily (and certainly no now!) doesnt mean I support Hibs any more or any less than anyone else.

Agree with this. Ive supported Hibs since I was born and used to have a season ticket, but now im a bit older work and money have hindered that. Still support through good days and bad and try to get to games/buy tops as often as I can afford. Does it make me a fake football fan?:confused: