PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Ever Hibs Player

GGTTH07
09-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Being only 18.. i cant say i can remember sauzee latapy etc. So mine has to be Murphy and Riordan. McPake is most definitely heading that way. :wink:

hibeefan95
09-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Derek Riordan for me. Absolutley loved him when he was at Hibs.

Billychaotic182
09-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Ian Murray, Tam McManus and Paco Luna were all highly rated by me when I was younger but my all time fave player is probably Ivan in his 1st spell. The excitement I felt web he was on the ball has not been matched by anyone since

HibbyAndy
09-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Derek Riordan.

Ive never liked a player as much as i did with Deek..Love the guy.That 30 yard screamer at Easter rd against THEM still remains the best goal ive seen.Ever.

yeezus.
09-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Riordan.

His love for the club couldn't be disputed, I just wish he would screw the nut.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Collins, John not Derek

3pm
09-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Sir Franck.

ScottB
09-09-2012, 10:15 PM
When I was little I liked Stevie Crawford haha

My lifetime all in, Collins, Sauzee, Latapy are the best, Sproule's first stint for his Ibrox heroics get a mention.

Nevi1875
09-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Deek - he was just all round a fantastic player who made you sit on the edge of your seat whenever he had the ball.
Zouma and boozy aswell

lugz
09-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Being only 18.. i cant say i can remember sauzee latapy etc. So mine has to be Murphy and Riordan. McPake is most definitely heading that way. :wink:

Mine would have to be Laursen and Murphy, strangely enough I've never wanted to be a left back when playing football.

Lee
09-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Has to be Sauzee for me, although Pat McGinlay was my favorite growing up as a kid

Leighonel
09-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Zemmama, Fletcher or McPake.

West Upper
09-09-2012, 10:43 PM
David Murphy or Steven Fletcher but could be James Mcpake in a couple of years.

hibsfan7
09-09-2012, 10:44 PM
THE ONE AND ONLY
PAT STANTON:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::th umbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

.Sean.
09-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Sauzee, Riordan and David Murphy.

The_Exile
09-09-2012, 10:51 PM
If Luna had had better players around him it'd have probably been him, all too often he'd be somewhere or do something and I'd think "you're 2 steps ahead of the rest of them there mate" and the possession would fizzle out. Has to be Franck for me, McGinlay and Harper were firm favourites when I was but a nipper.

iwasthere1972
09-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Difficult one but has to be one from the early days of me watching Hibs. Jim O'Rourke, Alex Cropley and Joe McBride I loved watching but think O'Rourke just shades it for me.

HibeeN
09-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Steven Fletcher and David Murphy. James McPake is getting close though!:thumbsup:

gogsy
09-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Pat Stanton. The man oozed class and pure Hibernianism (did I just invent that word?). The Scottish Franz Beckenbauer.

Hibs On Tour
09-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Too many options :greengrin

For being a local lad [I know] that played for us, Keith Keith Keith!
For always wearing his heart [for the club] proudly on his sleeve, Derek Riordan
For being simply the best player I've personally seen wearing the green and white, Le God
For always seeming to be able to stroll through games, Brian Rice
For being the only player I can remember consistantly get me out of my seat in anticipation [and loving the club!], Ivan

But, for me, for always seeming to have that 5 yards of space and when on his game was just fantastic, Boozy

Not saying any of the above were better than any others, just my favourites for various reasons. Plenty more I could find reasons just as good for too!

:hibees

HoboHarry
09-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Jim O'Rourke.....until the arrival of Le God..........

Dalianwanda
09-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Arthur Duncan, Pat McGinlay, John Collins, Le God

edinburghhibee
09-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Not been many players I would class as great, in my lifetime anyway. But Le God is the best player I have seen wearing the green and white, still gutted to this day about the way we treaded him. Still hope one day he'll come home even just a flying visit at half time we never really got to say our goodbyes and show our appreciation for such a wonderful man, captain and player.

:flag::flag::sauzee::flag::flag:

Greendub
09-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Latapy!

Hibercelona
09-09-2012, 11:53 PM
From players I can remember watching over the last 10-12 years.

.......................Colgan..................... .....
.Murray......Sauzee.....McPake.....Murphy...
........................Boozy..................... ......
........Latapy......................Brown......... ...
.........................Luna..................... ......
............ Riordan............Fletcher..............

SUBS: Stack, Whittaker, Hanlon, Zemmama, Thompson, O'Conner, Benji

CAPTAIN: Sauzee (SUB CAP: McPake)

MANAGER: Tony Mowbray (ASSIST: Alex McLeish)

:drool:

Archie70
10-09-2012, 12:19 AM
I've seen some crackers, Best, Archibald, Sauzee, Latapy, Goram, Leighton, Murphy, McAllister, O'Neill, Mixu, Wright, Durie to name but a few. But there's none I loved more seeing scoring a goal than Derek Riordan.
Why? well it's turned into a bit of a cliche but for me he truly was/is "one of our own".
When we score a goal I'm at my happiest and when he scores I believe he feels the same. When he scored the penalty at the PBS he wasn't celebrating just because HE'D scored but because Hibs bad scored against them. For me that's the difference and that's why he's my favourite player and that's why they hate him.
It was a JFK moment for Hibs fans when he re-signed, we all remember where we were when we heard the news.
He's had a lot of bad PR but I still believe there's a place for him at Easter Road.
Glory Glory!

RUSSELL LATAPY
10-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Derek Riordan.

Ive never liked a player as much as i did with Deek..Love the guy.That 30 yard screamer at Easter rd against THEM still remains the best goal ive seen.Ever.

deek for me aswell was a great moment latapy up there too obv :agree:

stevenhibs
10-09-2012, 02:29 AM
Keith Wright, Franck Sauzee, David Zitelli.

hibby67
10-09-2012, 04:31 AM
Has to be my first hero's Pat Stanton and Arthur Duncan......:not worth

Hibrandenburg
10-09-2012, 05:12 AM
Thought I'd pick Pat as well but he's not a player anymore and has long since been elevated to God status. Arthur also has a wee soft spot set aside for just him, he never ever ever looked for 1 second that he couldn't give a **** when he was wearing the green and that sets him apart from all the talent of many others to have graced our turf.

However the player who thrilled me most was Ally McLeod, overweight, slow, lazy and definately with an attitude, but would pull some stunning tricks out of his toolbox.

broonie27
10-09-2012, 05:50 AM
From players I can remember watching over the last 10-12 years.

.......................Colgan..................... .....
.Murray......Sauzee.....McPake.....Murphy...
........................Boozy..................... ......
........Latapy......................Brown......... ...
.........................Luna..................... ......
............ Riordan............Fletcher..............

SUBS: Stack, Whittaker, Hanlon, Zemmama, Thompson, O'Conner, Benji

CAPTAIN: Sauzee (SUB CAP: McPake)

MANAGER: Tony Mowbray (ASSIST: Alex McLeish)

:drool:

That is a brilliant out field, but Colgan? He was pants! Daniel Andersson was a far better keeper (IMHO of course).

micka_weer
10-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Mickey Weir, Pat McGinlay & Matty Jack

Steve20
10-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Sauzee and Latapy.

#FromTheCapital
10-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Darren Jackson and Keith wright were my favourite players when I first started going to games as a bairn. Then sauzee from the mcleish days and Garry O'Connors first spell at hibs. These days it's got to be James mcpake

hibees 7062
10-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Erich Schaedler and Jackie Macnamara for me :aok:

Squealing pig
10-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Sauzee, Riordan and David Murphy.

This with latapy added in.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
10-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Super Joe Tortolano...closely followed by Des Bremner.

Ray_
10-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Pat Stanton, without a shadow of doubt, never, ever saw him have an off day, followed by Alex Cropley, John Brownlie, John Blackley, Alex Edwards, to make my top five.

HibbyDave
10-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Difficult to pick just one but it would be from Alex Edwards, Pat Stanton, Jim O'Rourke, Aln Gordon, Alex Cropley, John Blackley, Le God, George Best, or most probably Des Bremner.

Hibs7
10-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Pat Stanton and Frank Sauzee, two of the best ever. Closely followed Peter Cormack, Jimmy O'Rourke. John Blackley, John Brownlie and recently Deeks.

Mon Dieu4
10-09-2012, 08:18 AM
I've had a few over the years growing up Willie Miller, Kevin McAllister, Keith Wright, Franck, Russell, Deek and Super Dave

Sauzee is my all time hero though

neilmartinrocks
10-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Keith Wright, Pat McGinlay, Russel Latapy, Derek Riorden, Boozy, Le God, David Murphy etc.
If I had to pick one.........I COULDN'T!! :greengrin honestly.

Hibercelona
10-09-2012, 10:14 AM
That is a brilliant out field, but Colgan? He was pants! Daniel Andersson was a far better keeper (IMHO of course).

I'd be happy enough with my granny between the posts with that back 4. :wink:

soupy
10-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Sir Franck.

Yip this guy.

Franck Stanton
10-09-2012, 10:23 AM
At first thought it was a really hard choice as there have been some truly fantastic players at Easter Road since I started going 54years ago. Auld man says I saw the famous five, however I was far too young to remember them. Memory however, says Jim Scott, "Big" John McNamee were my primary school heros, then came Peter Cormack, Eric Stevenson era, both great players, then moved onto Turnbulls Tornadoes, each and every one a hero of mine, years passed and we get to Archibald, Best, "Chipper", and more recently, Murphy, Le God, Mixu, Russel, Keith wright, and onto today, McPake is currently showing signs that he will be a true legend for the fans. However, when I thought about it , there could be only one who stands head and shoulders above everyone else--------------- Pat Stanton. The man is a God. A true Hibs man and, imo will never be bettered as a player. Le God came close, but, not quite on the same level as Paddy. Just my opinion folks, truth is, there have been so many great players grace the hallowed turf. That is what make us Hibernian.

matty_f
10-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Sauzee every time for me. Totally loved him at Hibs.

clerriehibs
10-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Riordan.

Loved hibs.

Loved scoreing.

clerriehibs
10-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Riordan.

Loved hibs.

Loved scoring.

Hated them.

PatHead
10-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Though I was still young at the time I saw him I still have the same awe and admiration for Mr Hibs.....................the one and only Pat Stanton.

Really one of our own. Strolled through games and was an absolute disgrace he didn't get more Scotland caps.

LeighLoyal
10-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Gordon Hunter for scoring that goal. Skill wise, Sauzee and Latas. For all round endevour I'd go Mixu and McGinlay. Newer generation, Scott Brown, Ivan, DR.

nb
I don't recall the 70's legends too well.

Stantons Angel
10-09-2012, 03:49 PM
THE ONE AND ONLY
PAT STANTON:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::th umbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ive read through this post with interest and the goosebumps started to appear.

As i read the names the memories come flooding back and make me smile. Yes they are all true Hibs Heros but only one man covers every thing good about Hibs and being a football LEGEND.

PAT STANTON....... of course!

Le God was sensational, Mickey was brilliant, Keith a true legend but PAT has everything a true, loyal and talented player needs to be an ambassador for HIBS!

Simply the Best there is!!!!

Golden Bear
10-09-2012, 03:55 PM
If you were lucky enough to see Pat Stanton play, then there's nobody else to think about.

DH1875
10-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Sauzee is without doubt the best player I've ever seen in the green and white but over the years my biggest man crushes have been on Paco Luna, Yannick Zambernardi and Fabian Yantorno. I know, what's that all about :faf:.

nairn hibee
10-09-2012, 04:42 PM
first favourite player when i was a kid was ally mcleod got his autograph against inverness thistle ,he was'nt going to sign till he seen i had one of those photos you used to get in the hibs shop. still got it but the autograph seems to have disapeared,
just as well he never became famous

easty
10-09-2012, 04:42 PM
I've had plenty favourites but Sauzee is head and shoulders above the rest for me. Just pure class.

SkintHibby
10-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Franck Sauzee without a shadow of a doubt.

Other great players: Pat McGinlay, John Collins, Keith Wright, David Murphy, Russel Latapy, Mickey Weir, Merouane Zemmama, Kevin McCallister, Scott Brown

heidtheba
10-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Franck Sauzee without a shadow of a doubt.

Other great players: Pat McGinlay, John Collins, Keith Wright, David Murphy, Russel Latapy, Mickey Weir, Merouane Zemmama, Kevin McCallister, Scott Brown

Good to see Crunchie McAllister - he's my fave:flag:

Barman Stanton
10-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Sauzee every time for me.

Other than Le God... Collins, Archibald, McGinlay, Latapy, Mixu and Riordan were all favourites. Hopefully in a cpl of years I can add McPake to that list.

Baldy Foghorn
10-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Sauzee then Collins.......

strummbo
10-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Stanton without a doubt. loved watching him. for those that never had the pleasure, he was miles ahead of anyone else in his position at his height. his class made other players play. truly our best ever player.

hibsbollah
10-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Depends if you mean 'favourite'; the one you identified with, or 'best'; the very best player.

Whichever, the answer is Franck :agree:

joebakerforever
10-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Unquestionably, Joe Baker is the best I've seen.

Eyrie
10-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Of those that I've seen play, it would be Latapy.

But only following strong consideration for Sauzee, McGinlay, O'Neill, Hunter, Jackson and Willie Miller.

heretoday
10-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Willie Hamilton.

Greendreamer
10-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Willie Hamilton.

My auld man waxes lyrical about Hamilton. States he was a real quality footballer.

jimmythefish
10-09-2012, 08:40 PM
sauzee, collins & latapy were quality but deeks was always my fav some o the goals he scored was pure class

cocopops1875
10-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Gonna be boring and say Franck was trying to explain what it was like having him here to a guy from Norway earlier and I'm pretty sure he now thinks i want to sleep with Mr Sauzee:greengrin as i wheeled out graceful and elegant , Also Jim Leighton as a keeper(of sorts:greengrin) he was my Hero even when he moved back to the sheep i still thought he was awesome :hibees

Baldy Foghorn
10-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Gonna be boring and say Franck was trying to explain what it was like having him here to a guy from Norway earlier and I'm pretty sure he now thinks i want to sleep with Mr Sauzee:greengrin as i wheeled out graceful and elegant , Also Jim Leighton as a keeper(of sorts:greengrin) he was my Hero even when he moved back to the sheep i still thought he was awesome :hibees

Leighton was decent, although let down by his kicking, and problems dealing with a pass back....

Jonnyboy
10-09-2012, 09:33 PM
It's a generational kinda thing, going by the answers to date

From this elder statesman :greengrin it has to be Pat Stanton by a country mile

Worthy of mention are Arthur Duncan, Des Bremner, Franck and Russell

DH1875
10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Are some people not getting confused between the questions, best player and favourite player?

Jonnyboy
10-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Are some people not getting confused between the questions, best player and favourite player?

All of mine were favourites :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
10-09-2012, 09:38 PM

Yip Pat for me too John, and John Brownlie might well have been my pick if he'd not broken his leg. Edwards and Cropley get a special mention too. What a time to be a Hibby, but as usual it was over all too quickly.

cocopops1875
10-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Leighton was decent, although let down by his kicking, and problems dealing with a pass back....

Agreed Though he was not the only keeper who suffered from the pass back rule being brought in, Jeez Mark Brown never had to adapt and he was shocking with the ball at feet :greengrin

CRAZYHIBBY
11-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Has to be latapy....with the flicks and tricks and especially for the 6-2 game where he almost destroyed hearts by himself. If you watch that game and look at his movement and sheer skill was breath taking at times.

lucky
11-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Ali McLeod , Keith Wright and Le God.

The Harp
11-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm auld enough to have seen the legendary Gordon Smith. I think there's little doubt he would be the greatest ever player to grace ER. However, I was a wee bit too young to appreciate his outstanding talent so I'd have to plump for Joe Baker and Pat Stanton - I can't separate them.

Robinho08
11-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Keith Wright was my favourite when I was a nipper. Would have to go for Sauzee or Deek in more recent times.

Hibee87
11-09-2012, 09:25 AM
When I was a laddie it was Keith Keith Keith, Crunchie and Darren Jackson. When I got older Latapy sauzee boozy and zouma. Now Mckpake :jmcp:

beensaidbefore
11-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Keith Wright, legend in my eyes..:agree:

Golden Bear
11-09-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm auld enough to have seen the legendary Gordon Smith. I think there's little doubt he would be the greatest ever player to grace ER. However, I was a wee bit too young to appreciate his outstanding talent so I'd have to plump for Joe Baker and Pat Stanton - I can't separate them.

I saw Joe (complete with dazzling white boots,) when he started his second spell for Hibs against an Aberdeen side who at the time were undefeated for umpteen games. Needless to say, Joe scored and Hibs went on to record a famous victory.

Happy days.

:thumbsup:

O'Rourke3
11-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Pat Stanton, Pat Stanton and Pat Stanton. Just too young to see Peter Cormack and only caught Joe Baker the second time round.
Cropley O'Rourke and Gordon, Sloop John B and Arthur Duncan. Couldn't miss John Brownlie or Erich Schaedler. Ally McLeod, Jackie MacNamara, Bobby Smith, Des Bremner, Craig Paterson, Brian Rice, Gordon Rae, Gordon Hunter, John Collins, Paul Kane, Andy Goram, Keith Wright, Michael O'Neill, Kevin McAllister, Roughie, Jim Leighton, Budgie, Franck Sauzee, Russell Latapy, Ulrich Laursen, Mixu, David Murphy, Boozy, David Murphy, Garry O and Deeks. Hopefull that James McPake keeps the honour roll going. Apologies was looking to keep this short - so Pat Stanton.

Hibernia Na Eir
11-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Willie Irvine (mk1)
was my hero back in the early 80's. A goal scoring machine for one season. always remember that game vs the Dons, (1983?) he had them rattled!

PatHead
11-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Funny, none of the young pups and very few of the older ones have mentioned Steven Fletcher yet we are all clambering for him to be in the Scotland squad.

norwayhibs
11-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Erich Schaedler.

Jonnyboy
11-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Funny, none of the young pups and very few of the older ones have mentioned Steven Fletcher yet we are all clambering for him to be in the Scotland squad.

Even more so after tonight's debacle :agree:

Jonnyboy
11-09-2012, 09:39 PM
I saw Joe (complete with dazzling white boots,) when he started his second spell for Hibs against an Aberdeen side who at the time were undefeated for umpteen games. Needless to say, Joe scored and Hibs went on to record a famous victory.

Happy days.

:thumbsup:

Them was the good old days :greengrin

Dons keeper Bobby Clark had not conceded a goal in over 1000 minutes but Pat Stanton and captain for the day Joe Baker struck twice in the space of four minutes to win the game for the Hibees. As for Joe's boots - let's just say he was way ahead of his time as this was 1971!!

--------
11-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Them was the good old days :greengrin

Dons keeper Bobby Clark had not conceded a goal in over 1000 minutes but Pat Stanton and captain for the day Joe Baker struck twice in the space of four minutes to win the game for the Hibees. As for Joe's boots - let's just say he was way ahead of his time as this was 1971!!

:agree: In those days football boots were like Model-T Fords - you could have any colour you liked as long as it was black.

TBH, I can't say Paddy or Joe was my favourite - who could choose between them?

Jonnyboy
11-09-2012, 10:00 PM
:agree: In those days football boots were like Model-T Fords - you could have any colour you liked as long as it was black.

TBH, I can't say Paddy or Joe was my favourite - who could choose between them?

Indeed.

You'll recall, but extremely reluctantly, who scored for the sheep that day :wink:

Ray_
11-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Indeed.

You'll recall, but extremely reluctantly, who scored for the sheep that day :wink:

He would have got a second as well if it wasn't for Sloops great sliding clearance after the Dons scorer had rounded the Hibs keeper and shot towards the empty net.

Jonnyboy
11-09-2012, 10:23 PM
He would have got a second as well if it wasn't for Sloops great sliding clearance after the Dons scorer had rounded the Hibs keeper and shot towards the empty net.

Very true. Oh for another Sloop these days. Imagine him alongside McPake :cool2:

HoboHarry
12-09-2012, 03:52 AM
Always had a soft spot for wee Isaak Refvik. The younger posters will be saying who????? lol. Not up with Le God of course ........

Septimus
12-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Difficult for someone who came to support Hibs in their true glory days but after much reflection my own personal favourite has to be Tommy Younger.

jodjam
12-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Prob my first fav as a kid was bobby smith. Loved his runs down the wing.

Met him few times and he was a good man.