PDA

View Full Version : Parking advice? (NHC)

Renfrew_Hibby
23-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Hi guys, we're comming through for the Tattoo at the castle tomorrow (Friday) and not being a local and never driving into the city centre, whats the score on parking?
Where would be the best area/street to aim for within say 15 mins walk? Down towards Hearts or anywhere better? Being a tight fisted sod i don't fancy an NPC or like!
Cheers.

sbell1875
23-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Hi guys, we're comming through for the Tattoo at the castle tomorrow (Friday) and not being a local and never driving into the city centre, whats the score on parking?
Where would be the best area/street to aim for within say 15 mins walk? Down towards Hearts or anywhere better? Being a tight fisted sod i don't fancy an NPC or like!
Cheers.

I'm sure I read somewhere that parking charges are suspended for the duration of the festival?

Don't quote me on it though as I live outside Edinburgh!

FranckSuzy
23-08-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that parking charges are suspended for the duration of the festival?

Don't quote me on it though as I live outside Edinburgh!

:agree: Here
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18727161)
The only problem will be finding a space!

Twiglet
23-08-2012, 10:18 PM
If you're there sharp enough (but after 6.30),you could try Castle Terrace or Bread Street. From there you could walk up Johnston Terrace to the castle. It will be busy, but there's a few streets going between them that sometimes have spaces. If there's nothing there go along Bread St (one way), then to the right you'll end up on E Fountainbridge which I've found to be slightly quieter and easier to park on when it's been busy. You can do loops of these 3 streets as Bread St is in the middle of them (have a wee look at google maps and you'll see what I mean).
There's also Lauriston Place, if you park outside Heriots school (at the old RIE) there's single yellows along there on both sides and the only people who park along there normally in the evening are people using the gym. If you get there about 6.30 there's plenty spaces normally (also a couple of small side streets that have pay and display/single yellows - Chalmers St and Keir St) and there's also Lauriston Gardens that has a lot of parking on one side.
Try to avoid Haymarket as it's a bit of a nightmare with the tram works and all the diversions, so parking's minimal around there.

Only thing I'll say is, double check when you park that there's no festival parking restriction signs on the lampposts, and don't park in permit holders only. The parking attendants in Edinburgh are getting tough. In my sisters street people have been ticketed for parking in them without a permit at weekends (when the pay and display restrictions are off) and I saw someone getting a ticket on George St a couple of weeks ago in one because of complaints from residents. I don't know how tough they are being during the festival further into town though.

Taz_hibee
23-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Am I right in saying you can park on a single yellow after 6.30pm.

Twiglet
23-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Am I right in saying you can park on a single yellow after 6.30pm.

Yes. There are some streets that are 5.30 that are slightly further out from the centre (from Hillside Crescent down in Leith so not really far out), on the other side it starts at Marchmont which is good if you're going to George Square for Fringe things.

Hibbyradge
23-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Don't be miserable. Pay the few quid for a safe space in a car park.

muzzhfc
23-08-2012, 11:19 PM
DO NOT DRIVE INTO EDINBURGH CITY CENTRE. park on the outskirts and get the bus in. £1.40 for a lothian aint bad at all! you can either get the bus back or get a taxi to wherever you parked the motor

Purple & Green
23-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Don't be miserable. Pay the few quid for a safe space in a car park.

I'd go along with that - Castle Terrace is just about as close as you can get for the tattoo.

JohnStephens91
24-08-2012, 01:15 AM
Anywhere in Marchmont, very close to the castle, just a quick nip through the Meadows and 5 minutes from the other side

ruthven_raiders
24-08-2012, 06:05 AM
If there are no parking restrictions or pay and display for the weekend you can park in permit holders spaces. They only come into operation when pay and display are in use.

Liam_Hibs
24-08-2012, 06:24 AM
The council has free parking in some streets from 5pm close to the city centre for the festival. The streets are listed on the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18727161

down-the-slope
24-08-2012, 07:40 AM
I'd go along with that - Castle Terrace is just about as close as you can get for the tattoo.

:agree: short walk up the terrace (10 mins) and down hill on way back :greengrin