PDA

View Full Version : Travel New York

MSK
09-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Wife fancies a jaunt to New York next April for our 23rd wedding anniversary, for approx 4 or 5 days....could any of you jet setters who have been please give advice on best hotels to stay in, activities to do ..places of interest, places to avoid..things to do or not to do ..prices etc ..

All advice welcome ta ...:aok:

Mikey
09-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Wife fancies a jaunt to New York next April for our 23rd wedding anniversary, for approx 4 or 5 days....could any of you jet setters who have been please give advice on best hotels to stay in, activities to do ..places of interest, places to avoid..things to do or not to do ..prices etc ..

All advice welcome ta ...:aok:

New York.

MSK
09-08-2012, 03:39 PM
New York.Oops ..no a good start ...:worried:

Mikey
09-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Once you've priced it do yourself a favour and get a price for Vegas, staying somewhere like New York New York or Monte Carlo. It's a longer flight but it's likely to be cheaper all in because of the sky high hotel prices in New York.

New York is an utter ****hole, but I'm sure there will be someone along soon to tell you it's the best place ever :greengrin

And in April it's still the tail end of winter in NY but in Vegas it'll be toasty :wink:

MSK
09-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Once you've priced it do yourself a favour and get a price for Vegas, staying somewhere like New York New York or Monte Carlo. It's a longer flight but it's likely to be cheaper all in because of the sky high hotel prices in New York.

New York is an utter ****hole, but I'm sure there will be someone along soon to tell you it's the best place ever :greengrin

And in April it's still the tail end of winter in NY but in Vegas it'll be toasty :wink:Cheers Mikey, never a place I have ever had a real interest in going to but Wife seems to fancy it ..you know me ..Im a Turkey man ..:greengrin

HibsMax
09-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Here I am. :)

TO say NYC is a ****hole is doing it an injustice but it all depends on what you want to do. My dad hates NYC (big, dirty city) but he's an old curmudgeon. He also "hates" LA but he has never even been there.

Before trying to tell you what to do, what do you like to do? There is plenty of shopping. Shows. It's a very walkable city. Obvious attractions like the Empire State building, that copper chick with the torch, TONS to eat, museums. Personally I love the place but I am not in love with it nor do I go there all the time. I just think it's a fun place to visit.

HibsMax
09-08-2012, 04:01 PM
You can go to hibs-world.net and post in the travel forum over there. ;) You will need to create an account though since guest posting is just asking for trouble.

MSK
09-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Here I am. :)

TO say NYC is a ****hole is doing it an injustice but it all depends on what you want to do. My dad hates NYC (big, dirty city) but he's an old curmudgeon. He also "hates" LA but he has never even been there.

Before trying to tell you what to do, what do you like to do? There is plenty of shopping. Shows. It's a very walkable city. Obvious attractions like the Empire State building, that copper chick with the torch, TONS to eat, museums. Personally I love the place but I am not in love with it nor do I go there all the time. I just think it's a fun place to visit.I love history Max, so museums old buildings etc & prob a touristy bus kinda thing ..as well as traditional bar's etc ..no doubt Wife will have shopping on her agenda at some point too ..:agree:

brianmc
09-08-2012, 05:13 PM
I was dragged to New York last November(it was the wife's dream holiday) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We did all the touristy things: romantic strolls through Central Park, visited the Museum of Natural History, the Rockefeller Centre, Empire State, Ground Zero Memorial, open top bus tour, boat trip out to Liberty , Macy Day parade. I even got to see some daft flat fae Sex and the City !
We stayed in a Holiday Inn at west 57th street and it was more than adequate as a base for exploring. Navigating around on the subway was dead easy too.
My advice would be : Plan an itinerary before you go, check online about booking advance tickets for anything you fancy as it's usually cheaper than waiting till you're there, avoid the Empire State trip-its way too pricey and you get a much better view from the 'Top of the Rock' Rockerfeller Centre.

MSK
09-08-2012, 05:44 PM
I was dragged to New York last November(it was the wife's dream holiday) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We did all the touristy things: romantic strolls through Central Park, visited the Museum of Natural History, the Rockefeller Centre, Empire State, Ground Zero Memorial, open top bus tour, boat trip out to Liberty , Macy Day parade. I even got to see some daft flat fae Sex and the City !
We stayed in a Holiday Inn at west 57th street and it was more than adequate as a base for exploring. Navigating around on the subway was dead easy too.
My advice would be : Plan an itinerary before you go, check online about booking advance tickets for anything you fancy as it's usually cheaper than waiting till you're there, avoid the Empire State trip-its way too pricey and you get a much better view from the 'Top of the Rock' Rockerfeller Centre.Excellent Brian ..good info mate cheers ..:aok:

brianmc
09-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Also, check the price of drinks prior to purchase-we got absolutely ripped off at the hotel bar where two beers for the lads and two cocktails for the ladies cost well into treble figures!

Mikey
09-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Also, check the price of drinks prior to purchase-we got absolutely ripped off at the hotel bar where two beers for the lads and two cocktails for the ladies cost well into treble figures!

Welcome to New York :wink:

VickMackie
09-08-2012, 07:32 PM

I wouldn't care if I was in Monaco I'd walk straight out! Even if I had drunk it!

Lucius Apuleius
11-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Went there earlier this year, much against my wishes. As Mikey says would rather have had my whole 10 days in Vegas rather than split it. We stayed in the Sheraton so pretty Central for everything. Now, maybe sounds contradictory but I am glad I went. I also would not go back. Been there, seen it, moved on. Overpriced for what it is definitely. In a perverse way I enjoyed going out to Liberty Island. I liked the Top of the Rock but would have liked it more with less people so as you get decent photos. Grand Central Station impressed me after seeing the shiechtholes of the other stations. Shops, way too expensive in my opinion (from a man who loves his Canali suits and coats). However, as I said I am glad I have seen it but won't be back. Wifey agrees. Vegas again in November yeeeeeehaaaaaaa.

Haymaker
11-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Love it there so much I move there next week!

HibsMax
11-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Love it there so much I move there next week!

Damn. I'll be there this weekend. Maybe I can come and pay you a visit when you get settled.

Haymaker
11-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Damn. I'll be there this weekend. Maybe I can come and pay you a visit when you get settled.

Aye, would have been good.

For the OP, I went to grand central and just wandered, covered a lot of Manhattan island in a day, just loved it. Popped in to a bar for a beer when I got thirsty then wandered off. I worked all over long island which has some awesome beaches.

P&D Windows
11-08-2012, 07:09 PM
This reminded me of a similar thread on here last summer: http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?213723-New-York&p=2863243&highlight=#post2863243

Would love to go back someday...

HibsMax
11-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Aye, would have been good.

For the OP, I went to grand central and just wandered, covered a lot of Manhattan island in a day, just loved it. Popped in to a bar for a beer when I got thirsty then wandered off. I worked all over long island which has some awesome beaches.

None of this "would" bull****. Give me an excuse to get out for the weekend. ;)

Haymaker
11-08-2012, 08:13 PM
None of this "would" bull****. Give me an excuse to get out for the weekend. ;)

Well when I am settled we shall have a Hibs party in the City. I am hoping to get up to see the Patriots v Colts IF I can afford it, last I checked it was like $250+ for a ticket... :no way:

HibsMax
11-08-2012, 11:38 PM
I've been to one game, back in 99 vs Dolphins. Great experience but crap seats, crap view and horrible journey home (getting out the car park took forever). I love tail gating but it's a loooong day.

Holmesdale Hibs
12-08-2012, 05:02 PM
If you're going up the Empire State, which I would recommend because the view is amazing, then it's worth going early to avoid the queues and the crowds at the top. We also went to a baseball game which was good, reasonably priced and easy to get tickets for. I really enjoyed NY and didn't find it that expensive. I stayed somewhere just south of central park, can't remember the hotel but there's plenty to chose from and I recommend the area for convenience.

Vegas is good fun but it's obviously a totally different trip. If you go there then a day trip to the Grand Canyon is an absolute must.