PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Hedge

sleeping giant
06-08-2012, 05:33 PM
I looking at planting a hedge in my front garden. Hoping to get it to about 5 foot.

Does anyone have any idea about buying them :greengrin
I notice you can get "Bare root" "Cell Grown" and "Pot grown" from online retailers.

Bare root are the cheapest. Has anyone ever grown them from bareroot ?
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/bare_root_hedging_range.html

I was in Dobbies today and they have Privet hedge plants for £6 each. These are fairly far on , roughly a foot and a half high but i would need roughly 80 or so for a staggered row. That would be nearly £500:wtf:

The bare root types online are about £100-£150 for 75.

Any tips from any greenfingered Hibbies out there ?

Matty_Jack04
08-08-2012, 05:46 PM
I looking at planting a hedge in my front garden. Hoping to get it to about 5 foot.

I notice you can get "Bare root" "Cell Grown" and "Pot grown" from online retailers.

I was in Dobbies today and they have Privet hedge plants for £6 each. These are fairly far on , roughly a foot and a half high but i would need roughly 80 or so for a staggered row. That would be nearly £500:wtf:

:faf:

Wembley67
08-08-2012, 06:55 PM

I have to admit I laughed when I read this also, I mind when this first started and there used to be a good bit of banter now your just old :na na:

Future17
09-08-2012, 06:08 AM

That's a lot of money. Can you not dip into your hedge fund?

Just Alf
09-08-2012, 06:39 AM
bet you're wishing you hadn't asked!

To answer the question tho

Bare root will work fine,, they'll just take longer to establish into a bushy plant, I had a couple that died but just back filled by a cuple pot grown ones which were the same size as the bare root by the time we did it.

:D

Now.... I'm off to see if we signed anyone overnight! :thumbup::thumbup:

sleeping giant
10-08-2012, 11:31 PM
That's a lot of money. Can you not dip into your hedge fund?

:faf:

I have to admit I laughed when I read this also, I mind when this first started and there used to be a good bit of banter now your just old :na na:

:greengrin

:hnet:

sleeping giant
10-08-2012, 11:40 PM
bet you're wishing you hadn't asked!

To answer the question tho

Bare root will work fine,, they'll just take longer to establish into a bushy plant, I had a couple that died but just back filled by a cuple pot grown ones which were the same size as the bare root by the time we did it.

:D

Now.... I'm off to see if we signed anyone overnight! :thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers mate.
Think i'll buy a box online.:aok: