PDA

View Full Version : Mo Farah

nonshinyfinish
04-08-2012, 09:04 PM
What a beast.

Hibs Class
04-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Superb performance. Calm, controlled and clinical.

VickMackie
04-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Brilliant.

marinello59
04-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Delighted to finally see a British 10000 metre runner take Gold. I remember watching Dave Bedford's glorious failure and Brendan Foster's brave attempts to win long distance Gold. He ran a perfect race, simply superb.

Hiber-nation
04-08-2012, 09:50 PM
He looked as if he was toying with them. Never in doubt, brilliant run.

hibsbollah
04-08-2012, 09:53 PM
I ran the Great North Run with him, he finished about three times as fast as me but made the effort to give everyone that ridiculous wide smile and chat. Just a great man :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Great days entertainment all round in The Olympics, from canoeing to Athletics, cycling to tennis with a bit of Michael Phelps thrown in. Stuart Pearce getting emptied put a smile on my face too. Outstanding effort from Jessica Ennis over the last two days too.

nonshinyfinish
04-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Great days entertainment all round in The Olympics, from canoeing to Athletics, cycling to tennis with a bit of Michael Phelps thrown in. Stuart Pearce getting emptied put a smile on my face too. Outstanding effort from Jessica Ennis over the last two days too.

Ennis tore the arse out of the other heptathletes, f***ing brilliant.

Billy McKirdy
04-08-2012, 11:42 PM
What an amazing evening for Team GB :thumbsup:, particularly Farrah and Ennis, well proud tonight :greengrin

GhostofBolivar
05-08-2012, 03:27 AM
What an amazing evening for Team GB :thumbsup:, particularly Farrah and Ennis, well proud tonight :greengrin

Three athletics golds: a muslim refugee from Somalia, a mixed heritage girl from Sheffield and a ginger. Makes me genuinely proud to be British. And it's not often I say that.

Pete
05-08-2012, 04:40 AM
Three athletics golds: a muslim refugee from Somalia, a mixed heritage girl from Sheffield and a ginger. Makes me genuinely proud to be British. And it's not often I say that.

Why does it make you more proud to be British because someone of mixed race or a Somali-Brit muslim has won a medal?

Would you not be just as proud if two caucasians had won those medals?

It's a genuine question and I'm not looking to trip you up. It just sounds a bit patronising and I think things have moved on a bit in the sporting world and while there might be some prejudices left I think the opportunities for British athletes are excellent regardless of race.

I had no idea Jess Ennis was mixed race. She's lovely though and I enjoyed the lap with all of her heptathlon mates at the end.:yum yum:

VickMackie
05-08-2012, 08:00 AM
What's his celebration all about when he points to his heid in that weird way?

Purple & Green
05-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Looks like do the ayatollah like what Cardiff city do!

Gatecrasher
05-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Why does it make you more proud to be British because someone of mixed race or a Somali-Brit muslim has won a medal?

It's a genuine question and I'm not looking to trip you up. It just sounds a bit patronising and I think things have moved on a bit in the sporting world and while there might be some prejudices left I think the opportunities for British athletes are excellent regardless of race.

I had no idea Jess Ennis was mixed race. She's lovely though and I enjoyed the lap with all of her heptathlon mates at the end.:yum yum:

I think it shows that no matter what your background, if your good enough you can make it to the top in this country, Go Team GB. I was cheering them on like they were in the green and white last night :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
05-08-2012, 08:29 AM
I think it shows that no matter what your background, if your good enough you can make it to the top in this country, Go Team GB. I was cheering them on like they were in the green and white last night :thumbsup:

Me too :agree: I was mad for it last night. A wee tear in the eye as well.

marinello59
05-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Me too :agree: I was mad for it last night. A wee tear in the eye as well.

And me. A fantastic day of sport topped off by an unforgettable run to glory. These rain soaked wind battered Islands ain't so bad after all. :thumbsup:

Mon Dieu4
05-08-2012, 09:27 AM
I wasn't bothered about the Olympics before it started, but ever since the start I've been glued to it, found myself watching some really random sports and getting caught up in it

Mo Farah topped it off for me last night, he totally owned it, can't wait for the 100m today, don't buy into the Bolt is struggling nonsense he jogged it yesterday

greenlex
06-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Rangers supporters trust chairman phoned up the IOC and asked if they ould have the ribbon of Mo's gold medal. When asked why he wanted it be replied " its the sash Mo Farrah wore"

--------
06-08-2012, 12:19 PM

Well, I'm old enough to remember when the British Olympic athletics team was entirely made up of pinkish-cream coloured Caucasians, almost exclusively university graduates, mostly from Oxford or Cambridge.

In those days if a prole was good at running fast, he ran as a professional at the likes of Powderhall. And if you were a 'darkie' of any shade, you didn't run at all. I'm not sure you'd even be welcome in the amateur boxing team when I was a boy.

I don't think it's patronising - I think it's a measure of how far the country has come in attitudes to people's race and background.

It's well within my lifetime that Albert Johanneson came from South Africa to play for Dirty Leeds United and was booed and abused as a 'coon' and a '******' by his OWN alleged supporters. And Mark Walters was pelted with bananas at Tynecastle. And the MCC agreed that the South Africans were quite within their rights to refuse to allow Basil D'Oliveira to play Test cricket for England in SA.

hibsbollah
07-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Well, I'm old enough to remember when the British Olympic athletics team was entirely made up of pinkish-cream coloured Caucasians, almost exclusively university graduates, mostly from Oxford or Cambridge.

In those days if a prole was good at running fast, he ran as a professional at the likes of Powderhall. And if you were a 'darkie' of any shade, you didn't run at all. I'm not sure you'd even be welcome in the amateur boxing team when I was a boy.

I don't think it's patronising - I think it's a measure of how far the country has come in attitudes to people's race and background.

It's well within my lifetime that Albert Johanneson came from South Africa to play for Dirty Leeds United and was booed and abused as a 'coon' and a '******' by his OWN alleged supporters. And Mark Walters was pelted with bananas at Tynecastle. And the MCC agreed that the South Africans were quite within their rights to refuse to allow Basil D'Oliveira to play Test cricket for England in SA.

...and i read that Farah was asked by a journalist after his win if he wouldnt have preferred to have run for Somalia, which isnt in itself racist, but was a bit of a weird question since he's lived in London since he was 8. He bristled a bit and said 'listen mate this is my country'.

You'd have thought we'd be over all that by now.

hibsbollah
11-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Mo just about to go in the 5k, not his best event but a chance for a unique double.

Gatecrasher
11-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Come on MO!

hibsbollah
11-08-2012, 06:37 PM
What a noise from this crowd!

hibsbollah
11-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Legend. Jumping about the living room.

Hibs Class
11-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Phenomenal. Absolutely fantastic.

marinello59
11-08-2012, 07:29 PM
That run was truly magnificent.

nonshinyfinish
11-08-2012, 08:34 PM
The guy is utterly brilliant.

CropleyWasGod
11-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Genuine question.....

Given that he wasn't born in the UK, is he entitled to a knighthood? Or is that based on his citizenship?

marinello59
11-08-2012, 09:10 PM
He is entitled alright.:thumbsup:

Haymaker
11-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Genuine question.....

Given that he wasn't born in the UK, is he entitled to a knighthood? Or is that based on his citizenship?

Pretty sure he isn't unless the rules have changed?

EDIT: just checked, he is entitled. My bad.

Purple & Green
11-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Genuine question.....

Off the top of my head sir Donald Bradman wasn't born in the UK?

DaveF
11-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Off the top of my head sir Donald Bradman wasn't born in the UK?

Neither was Garfield Sobers, but I guess they qualified by virtue of the glorious empire.

s.a.m
11-08-2012, 09:26 PM
....and Bradley Wiggins was born in Belgium, and he has a CBE and an OBE. Don't know if there's different rules for knighthoods, but it doesn't seem to be a bar to honours.

marinello59
11-08-2012, 09:27 PM
....and Bradley Wiggins was born in Belgium, and he has a CBE and an OBE. Don't know if there's different rules for knighthoods, but it doesn't seem to be a bar to honours.

He is a British citizen. He is entitled to any honour available.

CropleyWasGod
11-08-2012, 09:27 PM

Ahhhh, you've rumbled my agenda for asking. I'm no that bothered about a wee sap who runs around a track a few times. Lord Brad, however....... :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Great effort by Mo.

lapsedhibee
13-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Genuine question.....

Current: Entitled
Future: Titled

--------
16-08-2012, 01:31 PM
...and i read that Farah was asked by a journalist after his win if he wouldnt have preferred to have run for Somalia, which isnt in itself racist, but was a bit of a weird question since he's lived in London since he was 8. He bristled a bit and said 'listen mate this is my country'.

You'd have thought we'd be over all that by now.

Actually, bollah, I think that that IS racist (borderline, anyway) - Farah's Somali-born but has lived in the UK since childhood, settled down, grown up here, obviously identifies with this country - why on earth draw attention to the fact he's qualified to run for Somalia?

I don't have a lot of time for the Honours system in this country. No, edit that - I loath the whole silly system with its stink of royal patronage, hypocrisy and political jobbery.

How on earth can a "Sir" in front of his name compare with the fact that he's a double Olympic Gold medallist, and in two of the most gruelling events in the athletics arena at that? IMO we should all be over handing out gongs and titles as well by now. On the other hand, he's a lovely lad and far more deserving of recognition than fat cats like Bernie Ecclestone or his like whose only claim to fame is that they made a sizeable contribution to some slimy geezer's election fund - or promised a Thatcher-Major-Blair-Brown-Cameron-Clegg-whoever a seat on the board of one of their companies (and a fat salary to go) when said Thatcher-Major-Blair-Brown-Cameron-Clegg-whoever finally departs the House of Commons and returns to "private life".

As for cricketers - Bradman, Sobers, Weekes, Constantine, Richards, Hadlee and others were knighted for 'services to the sport' as part of an honours system that applies rightly or wrongly to the British Commonwealth.

Although I suspect that in their own countries they were seen as worthy of the honour for no other reason than that they knocked nine bells out of the England/MCC cricket team from time to time ....

Mon Dieu4
02-09-2012, 07:59 PM
And he just beat the cube, Legend