PDA

View Full Version : Festival Fringe

YehButNoBut
02-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Anyone going to or can recommend any good shows at the Fringe this year?

Have tickets for Jerry Sadowitz & Jo Caulfield.

easty
02-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Going to see Frankie Boyle tonight. :aok:

Calvin
02-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Going to see Appointment With The Wicker Man, Alexis Dubus, Mark Watson and Andrew Maxwell today. I'll report back. Also have Paul Foot and Tony Law on the agenda.

The_Exile
02-08-2012, 01:42 PM
The Colour Ham, can't recommend it highly enough, superb, might struggle to get tickets though. Think it's on in The Caves. £7 a ticket.

http://www.thecolourham.com/

danhibees1875
02-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Worked at it last year and am doing so again this year. Shows I enjoyed last year which I've noticed are back would be Joel Dommett, Pete Firman & Late Night Gimp Fight. :agree:

Went to see late night gimp fight last night and was once again good. :aok:

MSK
02-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Went to see Tom Stade at the Pleasance last night ..brilliant ...:top marks

Calvin
03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
An Appointment With The Wicker Man was absolutely superb. Really well acted, very funny and quite colourful language for an afternoon show!

Alexis Dubus was a bit of a punt but actually pretty good. More of a raconteur style show but it was quite funny.

Andrew Maxwell alienated me with some risky Scottish Independence stuff at the start of his set but he is a very good comedian and got me back on side pretty quickly!

Dead Cat Bounce are a band I see every year. If you've never seen them, it's imperative that you do. Really funny and very tight musically.

Pretty Boy
03-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Tickets for Mick Foley, probably better known to some as Mankind.

Going to a couple of whisky tastings at the 'whisky fringe' one by Bruichladdich and one by Ardbeg.

John Scott, Paul Merton, Irvine Welsh, Alan Davies, Rhys Darby and Alan Hudson are a few other people/things that I'm going to see.

Matty_Jack04
03-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Saw jimeoin last night at the icc very good espec for £4 a ticket great value

Mon Dieu4
03-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Next week Im seeing Jason Byrne, Rhys Darby, Stewart Francis and Craig Campbell

Been wanting to see Craig Campbell for ages so can't wait

Allant1981
03-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Im being taken to see some performance by the juliard dance school, wife is a dancer so wants to see it, she trained at a big school in london so she likes this kind of thing, ill prob fall asleep

grunt
03-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Just back from seeing Tubular Bells for Two at Assembly One.
If you're a fan of the album then I strongly recommend this show.
Great fun.

hibeeleicester
05-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Love the spiegel terrace on George ST..

Jo Caulfield is the best I've seen so far.

howdenthehibby
05-08-2012, 05:04 PM
I went to see Jim Jeffries (No not the fat Jambo ) The Australian comedian last night,and he was excellent.And i would thouroughly recommend a wee one man Show at the Hudson hotel in Hope street called ,Would you let your daughter marry a Weegie,Very funny and its part of the free fringe. Starts 6-30 every evening.

Mon Dieu4
06-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Just home from Andrew Maxwell, really really enjoyed it

Speedy
08-08-2012, 11:52 AM
I've been to a few things now, nothing I'd describe as outstanding but a few have been decent. James Acaster has probably been my favourite so far.

Craig Hill - Pretty funny, saw him on the preview night and he forgot a lot of his lines which killed it a bit. I'd imagine the flow of the show will be better now.

Andrew Lawrence - I liked this, pretty dark stuff but decent enough. Worth seeing if you can get it on half price hut.

Big in Dubai - Free show...utter mince! The funniest thing was that we had to walk through a dance class to get there. AVOID!

Everything is Purple - Another free show, this one was actually very good (for a free show anyway). Two stand ups, Ian Hislop and Raphael Perehia. Definitely worth seeing if you are in the area or want to see something on a budget (It's on at Dragonfly at 10pm, it's not in the programme for some reason).

Jests to Depress / Myths & Legends - On straight after everything is purple. Not terrible but not great. One geeky guy and a one liner guy. If you're already there and just want to watch something while having a pint then it's decent enough but wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

James Acaster - Probably my favourite so far. Some daft stuff but very funny. I was creasing myself when he was talking about his bread research.

****gers - Free show at The Three Sisters with a variety of comedians every night (the theme is always sex). Larry Dean that was first on was good but the rest were average. Always worth a watch but don't expect the highest of quality.

discman
09-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Anyone seen the "tommy sherdian" show? And anyone going to watch the "light runners on Arthur seat?

easty
09-08-2012, 01:42 PM
I've been to a few things now, nothing I'd describe as outstanding but a few have been decent. James Acaster has probably been my favourite so far.

Craig Hill - Pretty funny, saw him on the preview night and he forgot a lot of his lines which killed it a bit. I'd imagine the flow of the show will be better now.

Andrew Lawrence - I liked this, pretty dark stuff but decent enough. Worth seeing if you can get it on half price hut.

Big in Dubai - Free show...utter mince! The funniest thing was that we had to walk through a dance class to get there. AVOID!

Everything is Purple - Another free show, this one was actually very good (for a free show anyway). Two stand ups, Ian Hislop and Raphael Perehia. Definitely worth seeing if you are in the area or want to see something on a budget (It's on at Dragonfly at 10pm, it's not in the programme for some reason).

Jests to Depress / Myths & Legends - On straight after everything is purple. Not terrible but not great. One geeky guy and a one liner guy. If you're already there and just want to watch something while having a pint then it's decent enough but wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

James Acaster - Probably my favourite so far. Some daft stuff but very funny. I was creasing myself when he was talking about his bread research.

****gers - Free show at The Three Sisters with a variety of comedians every night (the theme is always sex). Larry Dean that was first on was good but the rest were average. Always worth a watch but don't expect the highest of quality.

I saw James Acaster last year, and was very impressed.:agree:

Pete
10-08-2012, 04:23 AM
Off to see Rhod Gilbert next Sunday. I would have liked to have seen someone less obvious but I'm taking the other half and she likes mainstream stuff. I've never seen him live so I hope he surprises me.

I know it's not the Fringe but on the 25th it's charlatans time at the HMV seeing them play "tellin stories" live. We'll be up for a show after that I'll revert back to the names I've seen earlier.

Look for Dan Antopolski, Tony Law or Rob Rouse if you want surreal.

Musically, I liked Peter Strakers Brel. It was great ten years ago and if it's still going I'm sure its stood the test of time. You'll certainly know about and therefore appreciate Jacques Brel after the show.

Wembley67
10-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Went to see Axis of Awesome last night at the Pleasance, pretty clever stuff but probably wouldn't recommend it. Slightly overpriced at £14.

danhibees1875
10-08-2012, 10:41 PM
I saw James Acaster last year, and was very impressed.:agree:

I flyer for Jacaster, lovely guy. :agree:

Enjoyed his show last year, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again this year! Will probably see it tomorrow, it'll be him or Joel Dommett (same times).

Went to Alfie Moore tonight - Really funny, one of my favourites.

Also seen Late Night Gimp Fight, fantastic sketch comedy - slightly preferred their show last year though.

YehButNoBut
11-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Wife & I went to see Jo Caulfield last night at the stand, not usually a fan of female comics but she was very good, and even got us a beer in Lord Bodo's across the road after the show.

https://p.twimg.com/AztkdPzCYAIE9WF.jpg

Mon Dieu4
11-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Saw Craig Campbell and Stewart Francis last night, really really funny and Mick Foley came on stage for 20 mins too Haha

offshorehibby
15-08-2012, 07:52 AM
went to see something called 'and The Sang Shang-A-Lang' the other day, brilliant. A story about a boy growing up in Edinburgh in the 70's his move from primary into secondary. All the music of the 70's and very funny. The adult actors acting out the primary 2 nativity play is hilarious. Oh i and there is lots of mentions of Hibs.

Of to Tubular Bells tomorrow.

Pretty Boy
15-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Went to see Alistair Barrie last night who has writing credits for Mock The Week and Green Wing and is a regular at The Comedy Store in London.

Would recommend. Bit hit and miss, some bits very funny, others a bit so so but that's par for the course at the Fringe.

His story about skin whitening cream adverts in India and a BNP supporter asking him after a London gig if they worked by being abrasive because we're all white underneath was absolutely brilliant.

Wembley67
23-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Rhod Gilbert tonight....fan bloody tastic...never look at a potato in the same light again!

Northernhibee
23-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Going to see Frankie Boyle tonight. :aok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft2TXXuQrTo

Love Stewart Lee, absolutely class dissection of Boyle's 'work'.

easty
24-08-2012, 12:02 AM

I like Stewart Lee, but I didn't think that was very good at all. It didnt really go anywhere.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked that a lot.