PDA

View Full Version : 2012 golf season

frazeHFC
03-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Can't see a current thread, so if there is one point me in the right direction. :aok:

How everyone's season going so far?

Played yesterday for the first time in months. I had played 6 holes since September so wasn't expecting much. Last 2 days have been a mixed bag. Some really good shots but the odd lack of concentration, and the short game needs to be better. Decent start though, although i have started too late and missed the CC qualifiers. :(

Course is shut next weekend too for the Curtis Cup which is a bit annoying, but will get more golf during the week. :thumbsup:

Tbh i did not have motivation to play so far this year, but this weekend has really got me back in the mood!

Sylar
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
I've played one round since the turn of the year, at the .net Carrick outing and the less said about that round, the better.

Supposed to be playing another round at Inverurie a week on Tuesday, but will probably decline the invite.

Just not happening this year - no time!

greenlex
03-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Played plenty. Handicap is about where I started. Very frustrating. Hitting it not great but putting well.

BroxburnHibee
03-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Very frustrating for me so far.

Can't get out to practice enough and it shows.

Then to top it all I go and cut my hand 2 days before club championship weekend - couldn't grip the club properly and started my round yesterday with double bogey, bogey, double bogey then a 14!!!!!!! :greengrin

Sylar
03-06-2012, 09:02 PM

Then to top it all I go and cut my hand 2 days before club championship weekend - couldn't grip the club properly and started my round yesterday with double bogey, bogey, double bogey then a 14!!!!!!! :greengrin

It's all downhill from there!

Literally, back to the clubhouse! :greengrin

frazeHFC
03-06-2012, 09:06 PM

A round to forget then. :greengrin

I remember last year in my last ever junior open, i counted the lad i was playing with as a 17 on one hole, he was crying and his dad came over and said "what did you get" and he went "5"........ :hilarious I couldn't believe what i was hearing. :faf: It was at a course very familiar to a .net golfer. :devil:

Tonight i walked off the 6th and a Chinese couple were teeing up on the 7th, after finally persuading them they had mucked up, they worked out that they had played the 4th, 5th and then 4th again. :faf: How thick can you be?

greenlex
03-06-2012, 09:07 PM

A few over the wall at 4 Dave?

BroxburnHibee
03-06-2012, 09:16 PM
A few over the wall at 4 Dave?

2 over the wall

2 into unplayable spots in the bushes :greengrin

Best of it was after 12 I was still about 120 yards away and stuck a wedge to six inches :hilarious

greenlex
03-06-2012, 09:41 PM
2 over the wall

2 into unplayable spots in the bushes :greengrin

Best of it was after 12 I was still about 120 yards away and stuck a wedge to six inches :hilarious

:rolleyes::not worth:faf:

Hibbyradge
04-06-2012, 07:53 AM
This won't give you much encouragement for the Silloth next week, Lex, but I had a nightmare on Saturday too.

Whatever you do, stay out of the heavy rough. It's evil.

I hit right at 13 and, having sent my provisional out of bounds, I miraculously found my first ball in deep bundai, but took 4 blows to get it back out onto the fairway. Then, knackered after my fight with the jungle, I topped it into the greenside bunker. I set up perfectly to escape from the deep trap and expertly thinned it into the ***** at the back of the green.

Two more wrist breaking hacks followed by two exhausted putts = 12.

Feeling proud of myself that i'd persevered instead of just taking an NR, I hit left, right, left, right before knocking the ball to 8 feet on the 14th. I just missed the putt, leaving it 6 inches behind the hole.

Resigned to another 0.1 on the handicap, I reached across the hole, to tap the ball back towards me and into the hole. Unfortunately, my evil twin appeared again, and I missed the putt and hit both my feet when it came past the hole.

Picked up, laughing! :hilarious.

So, you better bring your "A" game on the 16th! :greengrin

Golden Bear
04-06-2012, 03:13 PM
I've been playing plenty of golf but it's mainly been of the "very poor" variety so far this season.

I've just had a video lesson, and to be quite honest, it frightened the life out of me as at the address position I looked like quasibloodymodo! It was not a thing of beauty and it ain't fit for public viewing prior to the 9 o'clock watershed.

However at least the faults have been identified so it's up to me to put the theories into practice.

I'll be back - you can bet on it!

:cb

H18sry
04-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Golf's been my usual rubbish, back to the Carrick tomorrow, to try and improve on my last round there. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
04-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Played plenty golf but the handicap is just stuck.

Ball striking with the irons is brilliant, pitching and chipping is good. However I'm so erratic of the tee It's unreal and my putting has been nothing short of embarrassing. Had a 3 putts from inside 4 foot at the weekend.

greenlex
04-06-2012, 07:52 PM
This won't give you much encouragement for the Silloth next week, Lex, but I had a nightmare on Saturday too.

Whatever you do, stay out of the heavy rough. It's evil.

I hit right at 13 and, having sent my provisional out of bounds, I miraculously found my first ball in deep bundai, but took 4 blows to get it back out onto the fairway. Then, knackered after my fight with the jungle, I topped it into the greenside bunker. I set up perfectly to escape from the deep trap and expertly thinned it into the ***** at the back of the green.

Two more wrist breaking hacks followed by two exhausted putts = 12.

Feeling proud of myself that i'd persevered instead of just taking an NR, I hit left, right, left, right before knocking the ball to 8 feet on the 14th. I just missed the putt, leaving it 6 inches behind the hole.

Resigned to another 0.1 on the handicap, I reached across the hole, to tap the ball back towards me and into the hole. Unfortunately, my evil twin appeared again, and I missed the putt and hit both my feet when it came past the hole.

Picked up, laughing! :hilarious.

So, you better bring your "A" game on the 16th! :greengrin

I am nearly pishing myself here Dave.

greenlex
04-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Having reread this thread. I am feeling rather positive about my game. :greengrin

I'm_cabbaged
05-06-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm playing what must be the worst golf of my life, I've went up in every medal bar one. Dinnae get it at all, three weeks ago I hit a 75, 77 and 78 in the same week. Now I'm struggling to break 90! Club champion this weekend, I've got nae chance :(
Dave's tales have cheered me up though :)

Edit: been trying to get in touch Radge but your inbox is full ;)

Golden Bear
06-06-2012, 11:47 AM
I think a lot of us are still suffering from post cup final trauma and it's having an adverse effect on our golf swings.

(I've never used that excuse before)

:greengrin

BroxburnHibee
06-06-2012, 01:26 PM
The misery continues for me - papped out the summer singles 8 & 7.

Played like I'd never held a club before.

I think I need to take a break :rolleyes:

I'm_cabbaged
06-06-2012, 08:25 PM
The misery continues for me - papped out the summer singles 8 & 7.

Played like I'd never held a club before.

I think I need to take a break :rolleyes:

Tell me about it, just in from a medal and scored 21 stableford points!!
Can't do a thing right from the tee to hole :(

greenlex
06-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Cannae seem to get it round without at least one double or a treble on ma card. one of each tonight and miss buffer by one shot. most frustrating. :grr:

jodjam
07-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Cannae seem to get it round without at least one double or a treble on ma card. one of each tonight and miss buffer by one shot. most frustrating. :grr:

I'm still dining out on my eagle at the Carrick when we were out together :aok: it's been pitiful since then.

greenlex
07-06-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm still dining out on my eagle at the Carrick when we were out together :aok: it's been pitiful since then.
Nearest I've ever seen to an Albatross in the flesh. :not worth :greengrin

Hibbyradge
11-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks to I'm Cabbaged for taking me and my mate John, round Liberton this afternoon.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, although my golf wasn't at its best, and Willie's hospitality was first class.

I'm looking forward to playing there again in the Silloth in July. :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
12-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Played well April, poor May and June has been indifferent. In last 8 of one comp (only entered two).

Leading my eclectic with my Sunday crew (16 of us) by 3, and the best nett 6 scores by 1 shot!

Still not clicking in all departments - the last two putting displays have been poor by my standards.

Royal Musselburgh on Thursday in the Captains/Secys Belhaven Qualifier - two ball betterball with top 8 into national final at Pollok in September.

Golden Bear
13-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Things are looking up again after a poor run of form. I shot 68-4=64 today in a monthly medal. The wee bassa is back!!

frazeHFC
13-06-2012, 08:54 PM
My golf is frustrating at the moment, but unlike previous years i know what i am doing wrong, so not as depressed as previous years. :tee hee:

When on the tee, or on the fairway, just hitting it i am striking it great, really well. But as soon as there is trouble left/right or i have folk watching, i am trying too hard to guide the ball, and having a lazy swing meaning a bad slice. Just need to keep playing and get the confidence up, going all right though having not played much at all this year. Might play a medal soon though, then we'll see how it's really going. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
14-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Lost a foursomes match 2&1 the other night BUT actually played very well, just a pity about my partner.

Spoke to the club pro regarding my driving as that was what was causing me major problems, he made a few wee adjustments to my stance and touch wood it seems to have worked. Also holed a few decent putts from 6 to 8 feet which were the ones that had been absolutely killing my game. Still striking the irons very well.

Hopefully now that the confidence is returning I can start getting the handicap going in the right direction again.

IWasThere2016
15-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Played well April, poor May and June has been indifferent. In last 8 of one comp (only entered two).

Leading my eclectic with my Sunday crew (16 of us) by 3, and the best nett 6 scores by 1 shot!

Still not clicking in all departments - the last two putting displays have been poor by my standards.

Royal Musselburgh on Thursday in the Captains/Secys Belhaven Qualifier - two ball betterball with top 8 into national final at Pollok in September.

Enjoyed but tough track at RMGC yesterday. The greens were excellent - very quick and true.

Event well set-up by Belhaven - sadly we were dross, and nowehere near qualifying! I am not designed for Parkland gowf ..

Roll on Sunday .. and back to the Links! Real golf :agree:

greenlex
15-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Im in the final of the Auld Gits Championship. Back's ******. Final is a week tomorrow. Looks like a walkover for my opponent. Gutted. :boo hoo: Never been a proper champion.

cocopops1875
15-06-2012, 09:57 AM
My game is in tatters, that is all

Sylar
15-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Im in the final of the Auld Gits Championship. Back's ******. Final is a week tomorrow. Looks like a walkover for my opponent. Gutted. :boo hoo: Never been a proper champion.

My dad qualified for the finals but missed his first match as he was unwell.

Shame, as he was salivating at the level of opposition :wink:

greenlex
15-06-2012, 01:59 PM
My dad qualified for the finals but missed his first match as he was unwell.

Shame, as he was salivating at the level of opposition :wink:

Hes right. Havent been past the 14th yet.

IWasThere2016
16-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Guys - if ever you are looking for an after dinner speaker for the golf club go for Alan Tait. The Dalmahoy pro was simply outstanding at our Sportsmans last night. Great golf stories and brilliant banter. He was a gent also and just a punter - a few lagers before and after he entertained us. Cannot commend him highly enough. We doubled him up with retired solicitor Bill Copeland and he was very funny also.

I'm_cabbaged
24-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks to I'm Cabbaged for taking me and my mate John, round Liberton this afternoon.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, although my golf wasn't at its best, and Willie's hospitality was first class.

I'm looking forward to playing there again in the Silloth in July. :thumbsup:

More than welcome radge, looking forward to the company tomorrow even though my game is in tatters. :rolleyes:

frazeHFC
25-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Tonight i decided to go over to the practice ground but all the wee kids were running about so i decided just to drop 3 balls on the grass field near it and hit back and forth with a pitching wedge. It only dawned on me after i hit the 3 that the field was covered in daisys................20 minutes or so later i found the 3rd ball and decided i'd best go home.

Muppet! :faf:

I'm_cabbaged
26-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Great day at Turnhouse yesterday courtesy of radge and his mate John. Managed to get a half with a birdie at the last, nice wee dink out the rough with my 56 wedge. Course is in tip top condition and I struggled with the pace of the greens to start with (liberton's are horrible :( ) .
Ball striking was not too bad though and scoring 35 points with four or five three stabs is not too shabby :)
Signs of improvement are there and Radge was striking the ball well also.
Looking forward to the rest of season now except from the phrase that seems to be in every game being arranged "WEATHER PERMITTING !!"

frazeHFC
27-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Went today for a round which got better as the round went on, rained all the way round which was annoying, but not too heavy. First 9 (skipped 5 and 6 cos players were slow) was very poor. I think i was about 8 over for the 7 holes, really poor. I just kept having daft shots and taking one more per hole than i should be. Back 9 was much better. Started hitting the ball well off the tee, and doing better around the greens. Parred 10 and 11. Stupidly bogied 12 cos i went slightly left and had to play out rather than at the green, on an easyish hole. Parred 13, 14 and 15. Stupidly bogied 16 as well. Par 5 which i can reach in 2, but i topped my second and third shots cos i was trying WAY too hard to nail it. 17th was played great though, hit a great drive and left myself with just a pitching wedge which i hit dead at the pin, just unfortunately 10 feet short of the flag. Pulled my birdie putt but easy par. Then instead of completing a good back 9 on a fairly straight forward par 5, i ended by putting my drive in the bushes..........

The back 9 showed promise though, just need to keep playing and work on it.

greenlex
12-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Im in the final of the Auld Gits ChaBmpionship. Back's ******. Final is a week tomorrow. Looks like a walkover for my opponent. Gutted. :boo hoo: Never been a proper champion.
Well the final eventually got played tonight. I was first loser.:boo hoo:1 over after 6 and 3 down. Didn't hit it great but Billy was very steady. I had a wee run of bogeys and was eventually beaten 7&5 by the better player who was 1 over the holes played. There's always next year. :rolleyes:
Handicap has slipped to 8 so it's B class qualifying at the weekend. Fingers crossed.

I'm_cabbaged
17-07-2012, 06:57 PM
A few flashes of how I should be playing, radge on the other hand? Well put it this way I'm glad he's in the silloth with me ;)

greenlex
17-07-2012, 08:23 PM
3 and 1/2 Shanks today at Dunbar. Not too good. Pretty decent other than that. Lanark tomorrow. Gonna get soaked. :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
18-07-2012, 03:39 PM
A few flashes of how I should be playing, radge on the other hand? Well put it this way I'm glad he's in the silloth with me ;)

John and I won our greensomes tie last night too. 4 and 3. :smug:

Golden Bear
18-07-2012, 03:53 PM
What is "golf" by the way?

My local course was flooded out yet again today and I'm really, really getting *issed off with this ****** weather.

:grr:

greenlex
18-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Played Lanark today. Very very wet fairways. Think there were more lakes than grass.:rolleyes: Greens were excellent if a tad on he saw side from usual. Payed ok till a lost ball and the thought of going back didn't thrill me so didn't. Wasn't scoring so it was Nancy Regan on the card. Great course

I'm_cabbaged
18-07-2012, 09:23 PM
John and I won our greensomes tie last night too. 4 and 3. :smug:

Not surprised, you're a pair of ban, eh I mean you're hitting the ball well :)

IWasThere2016
18-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Busy 4 days ahead - bounce game tomorrow, taking a new member out on Friday and 06.45 Saturday and 07.15 Sunday. Magic!

Sylar
19-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Busy 4 days ahead - bounce game tomorrow, taking a new member out on Friday and 06.45 Saturday and 07.15 Sunday. Magic!

Any jobs going at the College right now?

Your schedule is brilliant :wink:

BroxburnHibee
20-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Turnhouse Silloth tomorrow at long last - hardly hit a ball in weeks

greenlex
20-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Had my worst score round my own course in 20 odd years tonight. Seriously bad. Thinking of chucking it all together. Not looking great for tomorrow Radge.:boo hoo:

IWasThere2016
23-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Any jobs going at the College right now?

Your schedule is brilliant :wink:

On ma hols! 3 weeks aff :greengrin Did Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun since breaking up :thumbsup: Rest today and tomorrow but back Wednesday :cb

Just cannot get to single figures though .. driving me mental. Two doubles on the front 9 were corrected by levels 4s on the first 7 holes of the back nine to 17 .. then, cue an 8! :grr:

greenlex
25-07-2012, 06:14 PM
****in hate the game!!

I'm_cabbaged
28-07-2012, 05:33 AM
****in hate the game!!

Feel your pain GL, after a few disastrous weeks I played in the last sixteen of the singles. Was 5 down after 6 :( Ditched the driver and went one over, over the next 7 holes pulling it back to 1 down after 5 of those holes, the bassa birdied the last of 2 of those though to go back to 3 down. Lost 3&2 but I hit a net 62 the next night with 2 trebles on my card there's some signs there.

I'm_cabbaged
28-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Most social sport in the world, end of :)
I'm ****ed.

Edit: fek me, thanks to radge for a good day. Hangover golf this morning 6,7,6,nr,5,5,nr clubhouse :)

cocopops1875
29-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Having been on a full golfing downer for 3 months (gone up from 16 to 17 in that time and genuinely needed another 10 strokes per round) stopped wanting to play, was begging for rain anything to avoid golf then i had a nightmare round on friday SHANKS the lot must have easily done over 100 if i had kept counting and not just picked up here and there, I hit my par today 17 over in a medal round and im just so happy:flag::flag::flag: hoping thats the start of the comeback :thumbsup:

BroxburnHibee
29-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Promising signs for me at last. Getting a bit more consistency off the tee and that definitely helps the confidence.

Still needing to practice more - especially round the greens.

Managed to birdie my nemesis (4th :greengrin) with a nice drive and 3 wood to the front of the green :thumbsup:

Just cutting out the silly shots is my biggest problem.

jodjam
31-07-2012, 08:35 AM
quick question for the Turnhouse lads on this thread, like BH and HR.

Looking to play my first Wednesday comp tomorrow. Do you just pitch up, stick your name in the computer, pay your money and play?

Got name down for the charity day on Sunday. Played it last year and was good fun. Weird giving away money for bad shots :greengrin

BroxburnHibee
31-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Generally u need someone to play with unless there's someone teeing off at the same time u can ask to play with.

Not sure if tomorrow is a flyer or a medal - if its a medal then fourballs are not allowed

Radge and I are meant to be playing late afternoon - not sure if johns playing though

Forecast doesn't look great unfortunately

jodjam
31-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Generally u need someone to play with unless there's someone teeing off at the same time u can ask to play with.

Not sure if tomorrow is a flyer or a medal - if its a medal then fourballs are not allowed

Radge and I are meant to be playing late afternoon - not sure if johns playing though

Forecast doesn't look great unfortunately

Thanks mate. Aye forecast looks iffy. Going out with my mate and as he's not played a Wed flyer then i was just unsure of the process.

HibsMax
31-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Reading this thread I wish I was back home to play with you guys. What you guys call "pish" I call "great". I first played about 30 years ago but I was never a regular. I doubt that I played more than a dozen rounds a year and some years I wouldn't play at all. I played a little when I came over here but that was mostly a trip to Florida and a couple of one-offs.

BUT, I joined a league last year and it's soooooo much fun. It's not serious at all which is not to say that people cheat or anything like that. I'm bummed though because this week is the last week of the regular season. Started off with a hcp of 25.3 but it's down to 22.1 and with the scores I've been recording lately I think it's going down again.

My local course is just 9 holes and it's short but it's tight and the greens are tiny so it's good for practice. Last night I went out and started par, triple (ob), bogie (ob) and I thought that was it - the wheels had come off. But I guess that helped me relax and I managed par, bogie, par, bogie, bogie, par (which is good for me). If not for those two errant ob shots off the tee I would have scored 37 (par is only 33) and that would have been my best score.

Why is this game not called "If Only"?

BroxburnHibee
31-07-2012, 02:44 PM
quick question for the Turnhouse lads on this thread, like BH and HR.

Looking to play my first Wednesday comp tomorrow. Do you just pitch up, stick your name in the computer, pay your money and play?

Got name down for the charity day on Sunday. Played it last year and was good fun. Weird giving away money for bad shots :greengrin

Aye I'm playing Sunday too

Missed it last year

If its money for bad shots - it could cost me a fortune :greengrin

I'm_cabbaged
05-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Texas scramble today, don't know where they're going to find three drives from me :(

greenlex
06-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Texas scramble today, don't know where they're going to find three drives from me :(

Well?

I'm_cabbaged
06-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Well?

With combined handicap of 57 we weren't expecting much. Birdied the first three and held pars till the eighth when heavens opened. Game was up the pole after that but still managed scratch level par with a double, yes I said double :) not bad considering the weather, but five short of the winning score. Really enjoyable format though, that can either put you under a lot of pressure or let you relax and smack the ball.

Golden Bear
06-08-2012, 04:26 PM
I had a game over Gullane 1 today and it was a real pleasure. If there is better turf anywhere in Scotland then I've still to see it. Not a bit of mud to be found anywhere and the greens were in pristine condition.

I normally play on an inland course and this season I've almost become accustomed to playing "preferred lies" -------- previously unknown in the summer months!!

And oh aye --------- I played very well today so I must have been inspired by the surroundings.

:thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
09-08-2012, 12:03 PM
+4 for 13 holes last night - but had to run to pick up the wee man. A repeat on Sunday should see me in single figs!! :cb

Golden Bear
10-08-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm playing in an Open Tournament at Torwoodlee GC, Galashiels tomorrow. I've been drawn to play with a guy who was an ex professional with St Johnstone & Falkirk and who currently plays off a handicap of +1. Looking forward to it - plenty of fitba chat on the way round!

I'm_cabbaged
11-08-2012, 05:06 AM
Started to hit my new driver eventually on Thursday, it's going a long way (for me anyways) and it's the stroke play championship this weekend so here's hoping! If I can find the fairways I've got an outside chance off what my handicap has rose to. As a side note I was playing along side a 14 year old last week who won our gents medal, how do they hit the ball so ***** far? Par 3 155 yards into a breez., seven iron for myself, pitching wedge for him. Felt like wrapping ny driver round his neck! :)

HibsMax
11-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Technique. That's what I'm going with. :)

IWasThere2016
14-08-2012, 10:42 AM
+4 for 13 holes last night - but had to run to pick up the wee man. A repeat on Sunday should see me in single figs!! :cb

Didnae happen .. again! :grr:

Started to hit my new driver eventually on Thursday, it's going a long way (for me anyways) and it's the stroke play championship this weekend so here's hoping! If I can find the fairways I've got an outside chance off what my handicap has rose to. As a side note I was playing along side a 14 year old last week who won our gents medal, how do they hit the ball so ***** far? Par 3 155 yards into a breez., seven iron for myself, pitching wedge for him. Felt like wrapping ny driver round his neck! :)

My 12 y-o hit a 275/280 yard last week .. he will be thrashing me on every occasion soon! Little shht!

jodjam
18-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Played first medal of year on Wednesday as work and weather has been manic. Managed to hit a 77 with a 7,6,6 (lost ball) on card. SS was 72 so got cut :thumbsup:

Playing the stableford at Turhhouse today so please let the sun shine.

greenlex
18-08-2012, 07:04 PM
I had a 4 Putt today at Haddington. WTF!!!!!!!

BroxburnHibee
18-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Usual game of two halves for me in todays stableford. :greengrin

Started with a lovely 9 up the first (I know I could have picked up but I needed the practice :tee hee:)

Recovered to be sitting on 22 points after 12 which wasn't too shabby.

Then proceeded to lose 4 balls in the next 6 holes and scraped 28 points.

Its gonna come together eventually :thumbsup:

Golden Bear
18-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Usual game of two halves for me in todays stableford. :greengrin

Started with a lovely 9 up the first (I know I could have picked up but I needed the practice :tee hee:)

Recovered to be sitting on 22 points after 12 which wasn't too shabby.

Then proceeded to lose 4 balls in the next 6 holes and scraped 28 points.

Its gonna come together eventually :thumbsup:

Game of two halves indeed! I was out in a one under par 34 but back in a miserable 8 over par 43. Not good of a 4 handicap! It's enough to drive you to drink.

:bevvied!:

greenlex
19-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Game of two halves indeed! I was out in a one under par 34 but back in a miserable 8 over par 43. Not good of a 4 handicap! It's enough to drive you to drink.

:bevvied!:

2 over 37 followed by a 7 over 43 at Haddington yesterday. 6 over fir the last 6 without doing too much wrong. Very frustrating.

greenlex
19-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Today I three putted from 3 ft. Tried to angrily back hand the return in and it hadn't htthe hole would have been 12ft rather the 1ft I was faced with. Twat.

greenlex
20-08-2012, 11:54 AM
I had a 4 Putt today at Haddington. WTF!!!!!!!

This cost me the top handicap prize. Dick

IWasThere2016
21-08-2012, 02:44 PM
This cost me the top handicap prize. Dick

Hard lines, Dick

I'm_cabbaged
21-08-2012, 04:14 PM
One that may be of interest to some on here, liberton juniors play turnhouse on Sunday in the semis of the junior league at West Linton. Liberton won the inter club on Sunday and are gunning for the double but I believe the turnhouse laddies (and possibly lassies) are quite strong so it should be a close match.
Think I'll go through to watch later on when the first matches will be nearing the back nine.

greenlex
21-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Hard lines, Dick

:greengrin Im over it. Bring on the weekend!!!!

jodjam
21-08-2012, 08:18 PM
One that may be of interest to some on here, liberton juniors play turnhouse on Sunday in the semis of the junior league at West Linton. Liberton won the inter club on Sunday and are gunning for the double but I believe the turnhouse laddies (and possibly lassies) are quite strong so it should be a close match.
Think I'll go through to watch later on when the first matches will be nearing the back nine.

My laddie, Jamie, has just got the nod for this match. He's struggled this year but a couple of 75's have got him back in there for Turnhouse.

Going by handicaps the Liberton lads should win but you never know.

p.s. he enjoyed the hibs.net carrick day out.....are we having a late summer day oot

Golden Bear
21-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm heading to Gleneagles on Thursday to watch the Johnnie Walker championship. It's a quality field and the last qualifying event before the Ryder Cup team is picked. Looking forward to it - free ticket to boot!

I'm_cabbaged
21-08-2012, 08:36 PM
My laddie, Jamie, has just got the nod for this match. He's struggled this year but a couple of 75's have got him back in there for Turnhouse.

Going by handicaps the Liberton lads should win but you never know.

p.s. he enjoyed the hibs.net carrick day out.....are we having a late summer day oot

Think it depends if they're all available, if it's full strength they'll have one off plus 2 and I think another four off seven and under including one of the under sixteens.
great occasion for them all though, but I think libertons experience may see them through as it's more or less the same laddies that won the Scottish two years ago. All about who turns up on the day though.

I'm_cabbaged
21-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Talking about .net day I quite fancied cocopops offer at Gifford.

greenlex
22-08-2012, 03:55 AM
I'm heading to Gleneagles on Thursday to watch the Johnnie Walker championship. It's a quality field and the last qualifying event before the Ryder Cup team is picked. Looking forward to it - free ticket to boot!

Same for me GB except doing the Friday.

Hibbyradge
22-08-2012, 09:22 AM
How about this for a rescue club (http://images.hammacher.com/PopWindows/Default.aspx?uq=z79148&rnd=1288022005886)?

I'm_cabbaged
22-08-2012, 12:25 PM
How about this for a rescue club (http://images.hammacher.com/PopWindows/Default.aspx?uq=z79148&rnd=1288022005886)?

Haha, does it come with a blow up tiger woods like the autopilot in airplane?

Golden Bear
24-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Same for me GB except doing the Friday.

Hope you enjoy today as much as I enjoyed yesterday. I couldn't believe just how quiet it was and the spectators that were there seemed happy to congregate on the holes which were in close proximity to the 1st, 11th, and eighteenth tees. It made for great viewing if you ventured further out on to the golf course.

However I'm still a bit unsure as to how the course will stand up for the Ryder Cup in 2014 as I thought a few of the holes were distinctly average. I'm pretty certain that further course alterations will be made prior to the big event.

I was also very impressed with the Aberdeen Angus burgers - most hellish tasty without a doubt!

IWasThere2016
24-08-2012, 11:42 AM

I got free tickets too (don't know why .. being a club captain? :dunno:) from Johnnie Walker so hoping to head on Sunday pm

Tonight is our 3-club challenge - taking 3W, PW and putter - over 13 holes. Always a hoot!

BroxburnHibee
24-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Got free tickets for the weekend - sorted :greengrin

greenlex
24-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Hope you enjoy today as much as I enjoyed yesterday. I couldn't believe just how quiet it was and the spectators that were there seemed happy to congregate on the holes which were in close proximity to the 1st, 11th, and eighteenth tees. It made for great viewing if you ventured further out on to the golf course.

However I'm still a bit unsure as to how the course will stand up for the Ryder Cup in 2014 as I thought a few of the holes were distinctly average. I'm pretty certain that further course alterations will be made prior to the big event.

I was also very impressed with the Aberdeen Angus burgers - most hellish tasty without a doubt!

Had a good day. 18th gonna be some hole come Ryder Cup. Oh and yes the Aberdeen Anus burgers were great. I was actually surprised at how many average to plain crap shots I witnessed. Only saw about a handful of wow shots to be fair even though followed a few of the big name players. On a day like today they should have been knocking the pins out.

BroxburnHibee
25-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Great day oot today

A lot of the holes seem to have natural amphitheatres around them which was great

Lawrie played some superb shots and with gallacher and monty up there tomorrow should be good fun

Burgers were excellent :greengrin

theonlywayisup
25-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Had a good day. 18th gonna be some hole come Ryder Cup. Oh and yes the Aberdeen Anus burgers were great. I was actually surprised at how many average to plain crap shots I witnessed. Only saw about a handful of wow shots to be fair even though followed a few of the big name players. On a day like today they should have been knocking the pins out.

Think I will give them a miss! :cb

FromTheCapital
25-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Think I will give them a miss! :cb
:not worth

Allant1981
26-08-2012, 04:58 PM
I worked at gleneagles for 2 years and loved this time of year. Amazing watching these guys up close

jodjam
26-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Think it depends if they're all available, if it's full strength they'll have one off plus 2 and I think another four off seven and under including one of the under sixteens.
great occasion for them all though, but I think libertons experience may see them through as it's more or less the same laddies that won the Scottish two years ago. All about who turns up on the day though.

My lad Jamie won on 18. He says lad he beat got to last 16 of Scottish boys. He's so down tho as Turnhouse got narrowly beat. I'm proud of him as he's struggled bit this year but is now hitting form

I'm_cabbaged
26-08-2012, 07:11 PM
My lad Jamie won on 18. He says lad he beat got to last 16 of Scottish boys. He's so down tho as Turnhouse got narrowly beat. I'm proud of him as he's struggled bit this year but is now hitting form

Good scalp for Jamie, no disgrace the team lost though as liberton are a very experienced team with most of them in their last year. Hope he keeps his head up as he's obviously a very talented laddie!!

greenlex
26-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Brilliant. He will remember this long after the disappointment and will take the positives into future matches and situations. Confidence is key in golf as you probably well know. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
26-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Tonight is our 3-club challenge - taking 3W, PW and putter - over 13 holes. Always a hoot!

Pissed it :greengrin. 1 over 4s after 13. My gross beat the rest of the field's nett :faf: HOWEVER, today with 13 clubs I was about 10 shots worse off for the same holes!! :grr: Bloody game drives you mental!

cocopops1875
26-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Talking about .net day I quite fancied cocopops offer at Gifford.

Offer still stands if there was enough interest, Course is pretty wet at the moment greens are stunning though, medal today played some nice golf with a minging hangover sadly the few bad holes were very bad net 75 which should have been a good few shots better :greengrin that said there was a net 61 in from the group in front so nae chance lol

Golden Bear
01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Ah well another medal round bites the dust. Shot 75-4=71 for a comfortable buffer today then got back in to the bar just as Paul Cairney equalised.

Life ain't so bad after all.

:Awright!:

Golden Bear
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Ah well that's yet another competitive golf season come to an end so I can now concentrate on being a professional Hibs supporter until the start of next season.

I've had a real up and down year, distinctly average but the poor rounds were occasionally punctuated by a really good round which only serve to bluff you into thinking that you've eventually cracked this infuriating game.

I played 28 medal rounds - started the season with a handicap of 3.3 and finished it at 3.2 so I've suffered all that friggin heartache and exasperation for a measly reduction of 0.1.

Bah, I really hate this game but can't wait to get started again next March.

:greengrin

Sylar
01-10-2012, 10:34 PM
I've played one round of golf this year - The Carrick outing we had back in March.

I've been insanely busy this year, so it's been a necessary evil TBH.

However, I would now like a round somewhere, ANYWHERE if possible.

I'm back staying with my folks in the run up to getting married in a few weeks, so if anyone in the Edinburgh/West Lothian area fancies laughing at me hacking my way around their track, I'd welcome any offers :aok:

cocopops1875
02-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Scott as always the offer to play at mines is there just get in touch via pm or facebook with Saturday/sundays you are available

Hibbyradge
03-10-2012, 10:25 AM
I've played one round of golf this year - The Carrick outing we had back in March.

I've been insanely busy this year, so it's been a necessary evil TBH.

However, I would now like a round somewhere, ANYWHERE if possible.

I'm back staying with my folks in the run up to getting married in a few weeks, so if anyone in the Edinburgh/West Lothian area fancies laughing at me hacking my way around their track, I'd welcome any offers :aok:

How does tomorrow at Turnhouse suit you?

Sylar
03-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Cheers for the offer Dave.

Have a kilt fitting ahead of my wedding tomorrow, so I'm busy most of the morning and then have to nip into Edinburgh with the other half to pick a few things up in the afternoon!

Pretty Boy
03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Season ends for me on Saturday.

Started with a handicap of 3.4, finished with 4.6. Horrible season, went up by 0.1 in every medal I played, didn't hit a buffer zone and certainly never even looked at winning anything.

Driving was horrible and that's what was costing me big time. Was generally having to use my 2nd shot just to get into play and suddenly that's a shot thrown away. The most annoying part is my long to mid iron and pitching and chipping was good. Putting was on the poor side of average. Going to spend the winter with a couple of lessons and then get to the range and play a few rounds in the winter eclectic to try and get everything sorted out.

This time last year I genuinely thought I was heading for a handicap in the region of scratch within a couple of years, now I'm back up at 5!

jodjam
03-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Kept season going another game. Son and me won our family foursome semi in near darkness on the last at Turnhouse

Godsahibby
03-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Very quiet season for me, frustrated early on in the year when I wasn't able to re-new my membership as I was meant to be moving away but after finding out I was staying in Edinburgh and on the back of the wet season which has ruined Kingsknowe I'm glad I never had a membership this year.

Played a few times over the summer but not enough to see any signs of improvement.

One positive is discovering a new course, played Kingsfield out near Linlithgow a few times now, cracking wee 9 hole course.

If any club regulars are looking for a game over the winter and needing a partner give me a shout.

IWasThere2016
12-10-2012, 06:32 AM
AAAAHHHH! That's better :greengrin

I just cannot get into single figures :grr:

Parred 9 of the first 10 holes - a double on the other hole - and was safely thinking this was it - single figure handicapper!! But leaked 7 shots in 8 holes and hello buffer again! I could cry!! Think I'll take up ping-pong.

Hibbyradge
12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
AAAAHHHH! That's better :greengrin

I just cannot get into single figures :grr:

Parred 9 of the first 10 holes - a double on the other hole - and was safely thinking this was it - single figure handicapper!! But leaked 7 shots in 8 holes and hello buffer again! I could cry!! Think I'll take up ping-pong.

And there's the reason!

I do exactly the same - start thinking about the finishing line and potential success - and disaster is just around the corner.

I think what happens is that we start protecting our card and as a result, the swing changes, strokes become a bit less positive, and we pay the price.

My best rounds have come when I've not been paying attention to my running total.

That's hard to do at our level, but it's vital imo.

Anyway, bring on the winter golf! :greengrin

IWasThere2016
12-10-2012, 10:03 AM
And there's the reason!

I do exactly the same - start thinking about the finishing line and potential success - and disaster is just around the corner.

I think what happens is that we start protecting our card and as a result, the swing changes, strokes become a bit less positive, and we pay the price.

My best rounds have come when I've not been paying attention to my running total.

That's hard to do at our level, but it's vital imo.

Anyway, bring on the winter golf! :greengrin

I am sure you're right .. but paying attention to my golf is about all I pay attention to! :greengrin

Our WL starts on 21st October so I can still be make it this week! :cb

I'm_cabbaged
15-10-2012, 05:38 PM

If it's any consolation liberton won the Scottish final today :)
Bodes well for turnhouse next year if a lot of the team are still juniors!

I'm_cabbaged
04-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Got beat on a count back to win my first medal yesterday :( doubled the last after splitting the fairway 140 yards from the green, ersehole.

PerthHibby
04-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Double bogeys at 3 and 5 today and finished with a scratch 69, lowest round of the year...crazy!

IWasThere2016
05-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Up to 10.2 .. holing everything inside 8 feet but cannae hole anything outside 8 feet! Burning the hole but they just will NOT go in!!! :grr:

STUPID BLOODY GAME!!! :grr:

PerthHibby
05-11-2012, 01:05 PM
If it's any consolation liberton won the Scottish final today :)
Bodes well for turnhouse next year if a lot of the team are still juniors!

Is your boy, in the lothians team by any chance?

PerthHibby
05-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Up to 10.2 .. holing everything inside 8 feet but cannae hole anything outside 8 feet! Burning the hole but they just will NOT go in!!! :grr:

STUPID BLOODY GAME!!! :grr:

I'm the opposite, short putts killing me at the moment, going into winter is no going to help either.
We play greens all year but they get a bit ropey over the winter..

IWasThere2016
06-11-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm the opposite, short putts killing me at the moment, going into winter is no going to help either.
We play greens all year but they get a bit ropey over the winter..

We get spoiled here - winter greens are a very last resort. Ours were pencil cored a few weeks back and now in fabulous conditions for November. So, I need another excuse :wink: :greengrin

PerthHibby
06-11-2012, 06:33 AM
We get spoiled here - winter greens are a very last resort. Ours were pencil cored a few weeks back and now in fabulous conditions for November. So, I need another excuse :wink: :greengrin

Your location suggests you play at Monifieth ?

Only played there once but thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm_cabbaged
06-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Is your boy, in the lothians team by any chance?

Na, not up to that standard yet :) but played for liberton in the Lothian stages of the competition so will be getting a Scottish medal.

PerthHibby
06-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Na, not up to that standard yet :) but played for liberton in the Lothian stages of the competition so will be getting a Scottish medal.

There's a Jamie in my sons squad, wondered if it was your boy.

IWasThere2016
22-11-2012, 06:14 AM
Your location suggests you play at Monifieth ?

Only played there once but thoroughly enjoyed it.

That's right.

A 73 on Sunday - with a ******g 8 - means my 10.3 has become 9

.5 - so still 10! :grr: So bl**dy frustrating!