PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have tinnitus?

Lofarl
01-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Since I went to a concert last Friday I have had ringing in my ears. It's most noticeable at quiet times and when I'm trying to sleep.

Im just wondering if anyone else has this and how do you cope, because it's driving me mad.

CropleyWasGod
01-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Since I went to a concert last Friday I have had ringing in my ears. It's most noticeable at quiet times and when I'm trying to sleep.

Im just wondering if anyone else has this and how do you cope, because it's driving me mad.

I have had it for a few years. I sympathise with you.

This site might tell you more about what you can do.

http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/

easty
01-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Is it hereditary? My missus has it and so does her dad.

Sylar
01-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Was at a festival last weekend in Leeds and for one of the bands (Funeral for a Friend) I ended up quite near the front, close to the speakers.

I was quite convinced I was deaf by the time the gig finished, as I couldn't hear a thing. Took the best part of until Thursday for my ears to get back to normal again!

Nothing for it really, other than riding it out!

Calvin
01-06-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm pretty convinced that my hearing is wrecked. Having been to about 300 gigs already, none of them with ear protection and many of them during my formative years before I suspect the ears were fully developed, my ears don't even ring anymore. The last time (and the first time in a while) I had it was during Frightened Rabbit in Dunoon when I ended up standing literally an inch from the speaker. I dread to think what I'll be like when I'm 40, or even 30.

Dinkydoo
01-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Agree with The Story So Far.

Been to watch my mate's metal band a few times and ended up really close to the speakers at the front of the stage. Has taken a few days to a week for the ringing to completely go away in the past.

cabbageandribs1875
01-06-2012, 08:45 PM
i was diagnosed with tinnitus four months ago, mines is like a laser hitting off a lump of metal :( i think stress can make it worse, and as i've been a bit stress-free for the last few weeks the noise is only every couple of days now thankfully :greengrin, it's at it's worst when there's no background noise going on like the TV/PC music etc, doc explained it's actually the brain making the noise and not the ear itself, could never understand the young dudes driving about in their cars with the music absolutely blasting out, they will most likely suffer for it in later years :agree: doc put mines down to fans on the machines at my work being on continuously for every 12-hour shift for a couple of decades :( my work only introduced ear plugs approx 10 years ago when they were being forced to introduce stricter health and safety procedures, far too late by then, the ****s :grr: he's sending me to the hossy to see about some gadget you can put in your ear that can mimic other noises or sommit :rolleyes:

Allant1981
02-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Ive had it for years, mine is a constant ringing so i suppose it cud have been worse

Haymaker
03-06-2012, 01:10 AM
I'm pretty convinced that my hearing is wrecked. Having been to about 300 gigs already, none of them with ear protection and many of them during my formative years before I suspect the ears were fully developed, my ears don't even ring anymore. The last time (and the first time in a while) I had it was during Frightened Rabbit in Dunoon when I ended up standing literally an inch from the speaker. I dread to think what I'll be like when I'm 40, or even 30.

Totally agree here, been a regular gig goer for ten years and used to tour with a band, shocked my ears are fine but god knows in a few years!

SvenNeil
07-06-2012, 08:56 PM

I have it in my left ear and had it for about 10 years now. No idea why, probably exposure to lots of loud music over the years. I suspect yours might wear off after a wee while. Hope so.

I cope with it this way - I tune it out by ignoring it completely. If you listen for it then it will only get worse and drive you mad. If you train yourself not to listen to (i.e. by distracting yourself immediately) then you won't notice it after a while. Works for me anyway.

It get worse when Im tired for some reason - can't explain that one!

DaveF
08-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Motorhead, Barrowlands.

I couldn't hear properly for many days afterwards.

Peevemor
08-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Motorhead, Barrowlands.

The Dickies at the Odeon - same problem.

iwasthere1972
11-06-2012, 09:25 PM

Me. Had it for years. I know it's happening but I try not to think about it. It's especially annoying when trying to watch the telly at night when things are quiet and even worse when trying to sleep as it's obviously more noticeable. My ears are ringing right now but I'm so used to it and know I'll have it for life.

I blame the wife.

iwasthere1972
11-06-2012, 09:29 PM
I have it in my left ear and had it for about 10 years now. No idea why, probably exposure to lots of loud music over the years. I suspect yours might wear off after a wee while. Hope so.

I cope with it this way - I tune it out by ignoring it completely. If you listen for it then it will only get worse and drive you mad. If you train yourself not to listen to (i.e. by distracting yourself immediately) then you won't notice it after a while. Works for me anyway.

It get worse when Im tired for some reason - can't explain that one!

Snap. Left ear, had it for about 10 years and I block it out just like yourself. As you say it's probably to do with listening to loud music which I've always done. Even nowadays I listen to my music on my phone/mp4 player full blast. Someone else has mentioned that it could be stress related and I think that could also be a factor.

Dunbar Hibee
11-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Motorhead, Barrowlands.

Same. Gid, eh :greengrin

Wilson
12-06-2012, 09:05 AM
The Dickies at the Odeon - same problem.

Well they say you shouldn't stick anything in your ear...

HFC_NYC
12-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Motorhead, Barrowlands.

Yup, Motorhead will do that, although the chappie in your avatar wrecked my ears a couple of years ago. I was down on his side of the stage and you leterally couldn't hear a note Jeff played due to Kerry's rig being so loud.

degenerated
14-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Motorhead, Barrowlands.

Happened to me at Motörhead, Barrowlands and lasted about a week.

Incidentally My hearing is suffering today after NOFX at the Newcastle 02 last night.

jabis
14-06-2012, 10:08 PM
mine tends to be a high pitched whistle,can be a pain in the erse when you're stressed,and its quiet.....just ignore ,BUT,now sitting here listning to it..........cheers :rolleyes:

Haymaker
15-06-2012, 02:21 AM
Happened to me at Motörhead, Barrowlands and lasted about a week.

Incidentally My hearing is suffering today after NOFX at the Newcastle 02 last night.

Were they any good? Seeing them on Saturday.

degenerated
15-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Were they any good? Seeing them on Saturday.

yeah i thought they were excellent, as were snuff. wasn't impresses with less than jake, but then i though they were rank the last time i saw them about 10 years ago.

just a pity that NOFX wont play scotland anymore since they were advised not to come back for the sake of their health by bikers (satans slaves) at gig on the green 2002

now looking forward to Social Distortion in August :aok:

Haymaker
16-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Were they?!

Sadly I get two ***** supports tonight rather than snuff who are playing tomorrow in London but not both days. Raging!

degenerated
17-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Were they?!

Sadly I get two ***** supports tonight rather than snuff who are playing tomorrow in London but not both days. Raging!

I thought the varukers were supporting them last night? They used to be quite good.

Never saw margate so no idea what they are like. Not being a less than jake fan it was only really snuff and nofx I watched.

Haymaker
17-06-2012, 01:19 PM
They did yeah, wasn't impressed with them at all. Still don't see how snuff can play every tour date but one of the shows in London? Nevertheless nofx were amazing, great set list too, lots of songs I haven't seen before.