PETRIE.......GO NOW PLEASE!

Sammy7nil
19-05-2012, 10:00 PM
He says the right things but under his stewardship we have not improved

Give him time but the jury is still out

HibbySpurs
19-05-2012, 10:10 PM
I like him as well.

I think I see what he's trying to achieve but thinking it, talking it are different from doing it.

The first third of next season will tell the tale for another Hibs manager, reasonable improvement into mid table and he'll be given ample time to take the next step, find ourselves in he shi*e again and like it or not h'll b shown the door.

I for one hope he pulls it off, I think hes got potential but in football these days you have to show that you can realise that potential sooner rather than later.

Thats life.

R'Albin
19-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I find it strange that more people have turned on Petrie today than Fenlon? Fenlon is the one who picked the team, tactics etc, Petrie didn't have any input today :confused:

For the record I believe neither should be punted, especially Paddy.

Love the Green
19-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Love the wee guy.

A winner for sure.:agree:

PETRIE.......GO NOW PLEASE!..TACTICS UP HIS ARESE..O

u ****IN PISSED TACTICS UP HIS ARSE NOT GOT A****IN CLUE

"keep the faith"

R'Albin
19-05-2012, 10:26 PM
..TACTICS UP HIS ARESE..O

u ****INEN PISSED TACTICS UP HIS ARSE NOT GOT A****IN CLUE

"keep the faith"

:hmmm:

davidw
19-05-2012, 10:29 PM
I find it strange that more people have turned on Petrie today than Fenlon? Fenlon is the one who picked the team, tactics etc, Petrie didn't have any input today :confused:

Agree - sort of. Don't want anyone punted at the moment. However, while Fenlon has said all the right things tonight, the tactics were non-existent, and it was his job to motivate a set of clearly unmotivated (and in some cases, uncaring) players.

Fergus52
19-05-2012, 10:31 PM

Petrie will always be the first scapegoat when hibs fans aren't completely sure where to point the finger.

R'Albin
19-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Agree - sort of. Don't want anyone punted at the moment. However, while Fenlon has said all the right things tonight, the tactics were non-existent, and it was his job to motivate a set of clearly unmotivated (and in some cases, uncaring) players.

:agree:

The problem I think tactics wise is that we have 4 central midfielders, and they are all very similar players. They are also devoid of creativity. Osbourne and Claros are two guys that are essentially playing the exact same roles, Stevenson works hard and is a half decent passer but that's about it, and Soares doesn't really get involved, so we don't seem to create anything.

Also I said from the start that they would exploit Kujabi, Francombe should've definately got the nod today :agree:

Captain Trips
19-05-2012, 10:36 PM

Time for what? No matter how good or bad the players are he cocked it today. He is no better than CC 5-1 today proves exactly that.

LancashireHibby
19-05-2012, 10:36 PM
A hell of a rebuilding job. Let's hope Petrie gives Pat the tools he needs because it needs sorting out from top to bottom.

scuttle
19-05-2012, 10:38 PM

The problem I think tactics wise is that we have 4 central midfielders, and they are all very similar players. They are also devoid of creativity. Osbourne and Claros are two guys that are essentially playing the exact same roles, Stevenson works hard and is a half decent passer but that's about it, and Soares doesn't really get involved, so we don't seem to create anything.

Also I said from the start that they would exploit Kujabi, Francombe should've definately got the nod today :agree:

Agree totally

Wotherspiniesta
19-05-2012, 10:44 PM
..TACTICS UP HIS ARESE..O

u ****IN PISSED TACTICS UP HIS ARSE NOT GOT A****IN CLUE

"keep the faith"

Sammy7nil
Fenlon gave the Hearts fans a :giruy::giruy::giruy:

That is not what a Hibs manager should be doing (althougth I agree with his setiment) how can he instill discipline if he cant control himself :confused:

1875HFC
Fenlon took responsibility because he runs the team, embarrassed right enough but give him time to build a team, come on lads let's get back up and fight harder GGTTH

Captain Trips
19-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Fenlon took responsibility because he runs the team, embarrassed right enough but give him time to build a team, come on lads let's get back up and fight harder GGTTH

Build?, some of the main culprits were his players no excuses.

R'Albin
19-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Sigged, so unprofessional but so epic :top marks

Brebners Bookie
19-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Time for what? No matter how good or bad the players are he cocked it today. He is no better than CC 5-1 today proves exactly that.

I disagree with almost everything you post but this is a whole new level.

He had one job, to turn a 1st division team into a team just good enough to stay up. He did that.

His 1st season starts in august, if he is backed in the summer and we are still in this position this time next year i'll agree with you.

Love the Green
19-05-2012, 10:50 PM
fenlon took responsibility because he runs the team, embarrassed right enough but give him time to build a team, come on lads let's get back up and fight harder ggtth

why the **** should we...year after year we get shafted and embarred by this lot and we get people on her asking us to keep supporting them when will they start supopring the fans

**** this club that has made us look like aresholes

Hibernia&Alba
19-05-2012, 10:53 PM
He kept us up and he got us to the cup final, however awful the experience turned out to be. Now a team of sub-standard journeymen loanees needs to be re-built. He has a massive job ahead but he's earned the right to attempt that. Today's experience should give him the additional motivation to ensure that no Hibs team of his ever loses like that again.

Hibeesmad
19-05-2012, 10:53 PM
But didn't he fine and warn griffiths about this lol paddy fenlons green and White army!!

Love the Green
19-05-2012, 10:56 PM
fenlon took responsibility because he runs the team, embarrassed right enough but give him time to build a team, come on lads let's get back up and fight harder ggtth

why the **** should we...year after year we get shafted and embarred by this lot and we get people on her asking us to keep supporting them when will they start supopring the fans

1875HFC
19-05-2012, 10:57 PM

No one stopping you supporting someone else if that's how you feel I'm sorry you feel that way. But when folk say they are all his players, what else could he have done with limited players out the available in January? We all knew it was a quick 'fix' to get us through the season and retain spl football next year, summer is what we need

Captain Trips
19-05-2012, 10:58 PM
I disagree with almost everything you post but this is a whole new level.

He had one job, to turn a 1st division team into a team just good enough to stay up. He did that.

His 1st season starts in august, if he is backed in the summer and we are still in this position this time next year i'll agree with you.

I disagree with all you have said, the record is there. How do you know CC wouldnt have turned it? Simple his record and signings and performances showed he was never going to do it. PF stands tonight in the same position. Dreadful.

scuttle
19-05-2012, 11:02 PM

That is not what a Hibs manager should be doing (althougth I agree with his setiment) how can he instill discipline if he cant control himself :confused:

He slaughtered Griffiths for the same gesture,let himself down badly with that and I bet he gets hammered for it . whereas Lennon gets away with murder

Wotherspiniesta
19-05-2012, 11:06 PM

Cya later then.

We'll miss you xx

Love the Green
19-05-2012, 11:09 PM
No one stopping you supporting someone else if that's how you feel I'm sorry you feel that way. But when folk say they are all his players, what else could he have done with limited players out the available in January? We all knew it was a quick 'fix' to get us through the season and retain spl football next year, summer is what we need

This is not a poxy cinema, or a dirty theatre or even a crap restaurant this is the club we have been handed down form our forefathers..it is a terminal illness and we cannot change our affectuions overnight.

So wise up he could have been better prepared..why make a change afte 30 mins that maybe he should have been aware of 3 weeks ago..

Love the Green
19-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Cya later then.

We'll miss you xx

Nearly swore on this post wotherwhatever but do yo think today was acceptable,,and as ever us foot soldiers should just accept the rubbish that is being dished up by these jokes that portray as football players.

Tyler Durden
19-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Love the Green is spot on...............why the buck is Fenlon trying to play a diamond against Hearts 5??? Totally clueless and he can bolt AFAIC.

Least Billy Browns happy

TheMentalHibees
Nearly swore on this post wotherwhatever but do yo think today was acceptable,,and as ever us foot soldiers should just accept the rubbish that is being dished up by these jokes that portray as football players.

We'll continue to be jokes unless we get some stability at the club. Changing manager again is not the answer. As has been said already, he can only piss with the cock he has and today that cock let him down badly. Now it is evident (if it wasn't already before) the mammoth task he has ahead of him. The last thing we should be doing after this game is talking about sacking the manager. Fenlon should take some of the blame, but once the players cross the white line it's up to them, and it's squarely with them that todays failure lies.

ScottB
Frankly that gesture to the Yams almost makes me think more of him. We were 5-1 down in a final, he was hurting, he was furious. McPake also seemed to be raging. Was anybody else? Didn't seem like it.

Fenlon is used to winning cups as a manager, I doubt he's ever seen a display like that.

However, jury is still out. I wouldn't ditch him, because I'm not convinced anything would change, he has the job, so we have to stick by him. His players didn't try a leg today almost to a man, but some of the tactics were off, certainly every Hearts attack coming by Driver getting behind the defence down the wing was so,etching we did nothing about.

blackpoolhibs
19-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Paddy Fenlons tactics today were awful, he handed the midfield to them by playing 4-4-2. We never showed up today though, and some of our players were like rabbits caught in the headlights of a lorry, but we were set up all wrong from the start, and that was down to the manager.

I have said it all season, we are a poor side. This team finished 2nd bottom for a reason, and Pat has a huge job rebuilding this pish football team next season.

Stevie Reid
19-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Frankly that gesture to the Yams almost makes me think more of him. We were 5-1 down in a final, he was hurting, he was furious. McPake also seemed to be raging. Was anybody else? Didn't seem like it.

Fenlon is used to winning cups as a manager, I doubt he's ever seen a display like that.

However, jury is still out. I wouldn't ditch him, because I'm not convinced anything would change, he has the job, so we have to stick by him. His players didn't try a leg today almost to a man, but some of the tactics were off, certainly every Hearts attack coming by Driver getting behind the defence down the wing was so,etching we did nothing about.

Agree. Whilst I'd rather not see a Hibs manager succumb to such antagonism, he showed passion. However misguided and odious Neil Lennon's behaviour can be at times (mostly, in fact), his passion undoubtedly is passed onto his players, who play for him and never say die. If any manager can instill the kind of qualities in a Hibs team that will see us enjoy happier times by watching a passionate team full of players that fight for the jersey (and have what it takes to genuinely compete in derbies), it is a character like Fenlon IMO.

He knows how much Hibs (and our status in the city) mean to us supporters, and the fact that he has the opportunity to build his own squad over the summer gives me hope. I am confident that he will identify what we need (McPake's loan signing being the biggest indicator of that), let's hope that the budget will allow for the necessary signings.

I agree that he didn't get it right today, but we were stuck between a rock and a hard place in the sense that 4-5-1 was undoubtedly the best way to contain them, but we have definitely looked more impressive going forward when playing two up front. Should have erred on the side of caution, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Steve20
19-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Fenlon is clueless. He sent a team out today that brought nothing but disgrace to Hibs.

An impostor.

David@EasterRoad
19-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Pat getting a hard time for his tactics but I don't think we have the players to play anything Other than a basic 442.

None of our strikers are effective up on their own, we only have 2 decent centre backs, we have no wingers with any quality. Our central midfielders are all water carriers, no leaders or creators.

Francomb or kujabi could have gone either way for me, kujabi has had a nightmare and if it wasn't for claros being even worse would have been hooked at ht.

Nobody left out today has done anything this season to suggest they should have been involved.

So I think fenlon has done well to get a poor team to a final but they have let everyone down on the day. I liked how angry he was, I'm glad he gave the ****s the sparky, I am looking forward to him clearing Out our squad and bringing in some players who will fight for the jersey. We have been pushovers for too long.

BoltonHibee
20-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Paddy Fenlons tactics today were awful, he handed the midfield to them by playing 4-4-2. We never showed up today though, and some of our players were like rabbits caught in the headlights of a lorry, but we were set up all wrong from the start, and that was down to the manager.

I have said it all season, we are a poor side. This team finished 2nd bottom for a reason, and Pat has a huge job rebuilding this pish football team next season.

Unfortunately he gets his tactics wrong far too often for my liking.

Stevie Reid
20-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Pat getting a hard time for his tactics but I don't think we have the players to play anything Other than a basic 442.

None of our strikers are effective up on their own, we only have 2 decent centre backs, we have no wingers with any quality. Our central midfielders are all water carriers, no leaders or creators.

Francomb or kujabi could have gone either way for me, kujabi has had a nightmare and if it wasn't for claros being even worse would have been hooked at ht.

Nobody left out today has done anything this season to suggest they should have been involved.

So I think fenlon has done well to get a poor team to a final but they have let everyone down on the day. I liked how angry he was, I'm glad he gave the ****s the sparky, I am looking forward to him clearing Out our squad and bringing in some players who will fight for the jersey. We have been pushovers for too long.

A very good assessment of us IMO. There were arguments for playing 4-5-1 (which probably should have won the day) but I think that Fenlon thought that we should try and show as an attacking force today, as opposed to purely being solid and hard to break down. No width and a painful lack of creativity in midfield means that we needed a partnership up front to try and make things happen for us, but it didn't work. However, I have no doubt that had we lost 2-0 today by playing 4-5-1, there would have been posters who chastised him for being overly cautious.

My belief all along was that if we were going to win today, it would be a backs to the wall performance based on containment and nicking a goal and defending well - as such, I think that Fenlon got it wrong. That does not however mean that he is not potentially a good Hibs manager. We have been very poor under his management at times this season, but he has won enough important games for me to believe that there is something there.

It is a great shame that he was in charge for such a dire moment in our history, but despite taking most of the responsibility for the result, he is far from the only one culpable. He will change the players in the summer to try and move towards achieving what we want to achieve as a club - he is far from guaranteed to get it right, but deserves the chance to do so IMO. If he gets it wrong (i.e. another poor bottom six finish next year) he will go - and deservedly so.

FWIW, I think that Francombe's lack of pace was the only factor in him not starting ahead of Kujabi today - he looked good at LB against Dunfermline (albeit in a team that had a comfortable lead), but Suso is quick and, despite being a limited player in so many ways, could (and did) hurt us with his pace. Kujabi looked excellent going forward in his debut against Killie in the SC game at ER, but also handled a tricky winger in Dayton (who destroyed Booth in the 4-1 defeat at Rugby Park) very well. Sadly, like so many other players we have signed in recent years, his debut was his finest moment in a Hibs jersey. Has been a worthwhile addition overall (with regards to playing his part in a back four that kept us up), but we need better.

PapillonVert
20-05-2012, 12:18 AM

You can have the best game plan and tactics this side of the Mississippi but if the players ain't up to the challenge, then it's always going to be a case of Goodnight Vienna.

Saturdays Hero
20-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Certainly not Fenlon's fault,I honestly think Mourinho would struggle to get anything from they players,can only use the cards your dealt & it's a hand of Jokers,Journeymen,Loanee's,the dross that no one wants,the most worrying thing is for long enough our youth players has always produced a few gems,I'm struggling to see who the next one is.

marinello59
20-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Certainly not Fenlon's fault,I honestly think Mourinho would struggle to get anything from they players,can only use the cards your dealt & it's a hand of Jokers,Journeymen,Loanee's,the dross that no one wants,the most worrying thing is for long enough our youth players has always produced a few gems,I'm struggling to see who the next one is.

Who signed the loanees? Booth is a decent product of the youth system yet he is nowhere near the squad. Of course Pat Fenlon shoulders a large part of the blame today. Not all of it but to suggest he is blameless is just plain wrong.

ehf
20-05-2012, 12:27 AM

Way out of his depth. Get Danny Lennon in now Rod, or our beloved club will be run into the ground.

Baader
20-05-2012, 12:33 AM
451 was probably the way to set up against them but we do not have the personnel. Would have meant dropping a decent striker for a poor midfielder (and we've enough of them as it is.)

We still made it easy for them though which is the hardest bit to take

Saturdays Hero
20-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Who signed the loanees? Booth is a decent product of the youth system yet he is nowhere near the squad. Of course Pat Fenlon shoulders a large part of the blame today. Not all of it but to suggest he is blameless is just plain wrong.

I agree Booth has potential but we still have a squad of utter dross & Calderwoods squad was dross as Yogi's before that look at the quality of player we are reduced to signing.

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Love the wee guy.

A winner for sure.:agree:

PETRIE.......GO NOW PLEASE!

What was the score the day, aye he's a right f***ing winner,.

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 12:45 AM
A hell of a rebuilding job. Let's hope Petrie gives Pat the tools he needs because it needs sorting out from top to bottom.

Lets hope petrie can GTF and take Fenlon with him.

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Build?, some of the main culprits were his players no excuses.

Well said Carlsberg, him his s**t loanees players Petrie can all GTF as far as i am concerned, that was simply embarrasing today.:agree:

Stevie Reid
20-05-2012, 12:49 AM

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but do you honestly think that Booth would have improved our chances of winning today, or indeed would have played a part in us finishing higher up the league than we did?

Kujabi was very poor today but overall the back four has played better as a whole with Kujabi in it than it did with Booth there. Booth is clearly a good footballer but I believe that he states that LB is his best position - given that he is poor in the air and a weak tackler, I cannot see him having a successful career in that position.

Kujabi may not be the answer but just because the replacement isn't much better, it doesn't mean that the incumbent was the right choice all along. Should Callum Booth become a regular first team player in the future (regardless of the position played), he will have my full support - but I can only see him being a left winger/midfielder. Regardless, he was dropped for good reason, and would not have improved us today IMO.

Fenlon certainly hasn't got everything right - but he has my full support going forward.

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 12:55 AM

Sorry BH but Fenlon can take a hike along with the idiots who hired him.

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Way out of his depth. Get Danny Lennon in now Rod, or our beloved club will be run into the ground.

can GTF as far as i am concerned, along with the team manager and every board member.

They have had there chance and blown it.

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 01:02 AM
I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but do you honestly think that Booth would have improved our chances of winning today, or indeed would have played a part in us finishing higher up the league than we did?

Kujabi was very poor today but overall the back four has played better as a whole with Kujabi in it than it did with Booth there. Booth is clearly a good footballer but I believe that he states that LB is his best position - given that he is poor in the air and a weak tackler, I cannot see him having a successful career in that position.

Kujabi may not be the answer but just because the replacement isn't much better, it doesn't mean that the incumbent was the right choice all along. Should Callum Booth become a regular first team player in the future (regardless of the position played), he will have my full support - but I can only see him being a left winger/midfielder. Regardless, he was dropped for good reason, and would not have improved us today IMO.

Fenlon certainly hasn't got everything right - but he has my full support going forward.

He doesn't have mine or the boards. There time is up.

Stevie Reid
20-05-2012, 01:11 AM
He doesn't have mine or the boards. There time is up.

That's fair enough SH, you are of course entitled to your opinion - today has been my hardest day as a Hibbie, I doubt that anyone doesn't feel that way, but we continue to exist as a club and must go on.

Anger towards Petrie I can understand, though I don't feel it myself - I genuinely believe that he wants and does his best for Hibs; whether that's enough or not is clearly open to debate. Pat Fenlon is our manager and there is no reason to believe that he won't be for next season - I believe that he has something that we need, and as such he has my full support.

Yet again I have a season ticket for next season - bought long before the cup final place was secured - and I will continue to support my team, and club (I am not implying that you won't), going forward. We are where we are and have to move on from here - nobody knows for sure whether Fenlon is the man to take us forward, but we are undoubtedly better off just continuing (though it gets harder and harder and harder) to offer our support.

I know that it won't bring you any pleasure if PF turns out not to be the right man to take Hibs forward, but let's hope he is.

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 01:21 AM
We were 5-1 down in a final, he was hurting, he was furious. McPake also seemed to be raging. Was anybody else? Didn't seem like it.

But yet when Riordan done it to the yams, he was called imature grow up, embarassment to the club, but when Pat does it he is a hero.

Fenlon can get to f*** as far as i am concerned, hasn't improved us one bit.

And the idiots making these choices can take a hike as well.

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 01:34 AM
That's fair enough SH, you are of course entitled to your opinion - today has been my hardest day as a Hibbie, I doubt that anyone doesn't feel that way, but we continue to exist as a club and must go on.

Anger towards Petrie I can understand, though I don't feel it myself - I genuinely believe that he wants and does his best for Hibs; whether that's enough or not is clearly open to debate. Pat Fenlon is our manager and there is no reason to believe that he won't be for next season - I believe that he has something that we need, and as such he has my full support.

Yet again I have a season ticket for next season - bought long before the cup final place was secured - and I will continue to support my team, and club (I am not implying that you won't), going forward. We are where we are and have to move on from here - nobody knows for sure whether Fenlon is the man to take us forward, but we are undoubtedly better off just continuing (though it gets harder and harder and harder) to offer our support.

I know that it won't bring you any pleasure if PF turns out not to be the right man to take Hibs forward, but let's hope he is.

And we have been like that for too long, yeah you are probably right about Fenlon, he will keep his job until the next AGM.

Or Sir Tom Farmer needs to be handing out a few P45s to the board, we have been in a mess for too long imo, we have changed the whole team, it hasn't worked, we have brought in countless managers and it hasn't worked, time for STF to STAND UP and realize that the people running his club aren't doing a very good job of it and it isn't working either.

Time for change.

Ryan91
20-05-2012, 01:39 AM
As has been said before, if we keep on changing manager then we're not going to have any stability at the club.

Fenlon's job was to save us from relegation, he did that job, the fact that he took us to a cup final is a bonus. I wonder, had we not been in the final, would people currently be calling for Fenlon's head? I doubt it.

Fenlon has a massive task on his hands over the summer, hopefully we can get some decent players in and work on finishing mid table next season, anything more is asking too much.

We need to put the embarrassment behind us and move on, dwelling on it will get us nowhere.

Number one priority signing for the club has to be James McPake - who seemed like the only man on the park that cared.

GGTTH

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 01:46 AM
As has been said before, if we keep on changing manager then we're not going to have any stability at the club.

Fenlon's job was to save us from relegation, he did that job, the fact that he took us to a cup final is a bonus. I wonder, had we not been in the final, would people currently be calling for Fenlon's head? I doubt it.

Fenlon has a massive task on his hands over the summer, hopefully we can get some decent players in and work on finishing mid table next season, anything more is asking too much.

We need to put the embarrassment behind us and move on, dwelling on it will get us nowhere.

Number one priority signing for the club has to be James McPake - who seemed like the only man on the park that cared.

GGTTH

Where were we in the league when PF took over from CC..

Who the fak will want to sign for Hibs over the summer, more loanees and more crap players.

CallumLaidlaw
20-05-2012, 01:58 AM
But yet when Riordan done it to the yams, he was called imature grow up, embarassment to the club, but when Pat does it he is a hero.

You seem to be taking the first bit personally. At the end of the day, we're all hurting. But Fenlon has done the job he was meant to and got us to a cup final as well. Now it's time to allow the manager to rebuild

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 02:35 AM
You seem to be taking the first bit personally. At the end of the day, we're all hurting. But Fenlon has done the job he was meant to and got us to a cup final as well. Now it's time to allow the manager to rebuild

Yes i probably am, but i am right too, Riordan was absolutley slated on here for giving the yams a GIRUY , but the manager is some sort of hero for doing it. :confused:

How many times am i going to hear that statement on here, it seems to be getting trotted out every summer now, every season is a rebuild job for whoever manager is in place, it is becoming boring now and all to common at Hibs FC.

SRHibs
20-05-2012, 03:12 AM

You are utterly obsessed with Riordan.

FitbaFolkKen
20-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Yes i probably am, but i am right too, Riordan was absolutley slated on here for giving the yams a GIRUY , but the manager is some sort of hero for doing it. :confused:

How many times am i going to hear that statement on here, it seems to be getting trotted out every summer now, every season is a rebuild job for whoever manager is in place, it is becoming boring now and all to common at Hibs FC.

I am sure, like everything else, that opinion is divided over whether it is deserved of hero status. I don't think it is blanket Riordan is a villain and Pat is a hero for doing much the same thing as you are portraying.

He shouldn't have done it but i'm glad he talks, and acts, with the passion we need from a manager. I'm happy to see what he does in the summer when he should have an opportunity to get a better calibre of player in than he has had so far as there should be many more options than there were in January.

At some point we need to say enough is enough and back someone to properly rebuild the club, it might as well be Pat.:pfgwa

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 03:28 AM
You are utterly obsessed with Riordan.

Love him.

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 03:39 AM
I am sure, like everything else, that opinion is divided over whether it is deserved of hero status. I don't think it is blanket Riordan is a villain and Pat is a hero for doing much the same thing as you are portraying.

He shouldn't have done it but i'm glad he talks, and acts, with the passion we need from a manager. I'm happy to see what he does in the summer when he should have an opportunity to get a better calibre of player in than he has had so far as there should be many more options than there were in January.

At some point we need to say enough is enough and back someone to properly rebuild the club, it might as well be Pat.:pfgwa

And i can just see all these players rushing to play for us next season, we have just not become tom kite over night, it has been like this for years now and i cant see many of these players you talk about wanting to sign for a club that normally finishes in the bottom half of the league most seasons or fighting it out for relagation.

First bit in bold, so did Yogi and look where that got us. :aok:

FitbaFolkKen
20-05-2012, 03:53 AM
And i can just see all these players rushing to play for us next season, we have just not become tom kite over night, it has been like this for years now and i cant see many of these players you talk about wanting to sign for a club that normally finishes in the bottom half of the league most seasons or fighting it out for relagation.

First bit in bold, so did Yogi and look where that got us. :aok:

What players? All I said is get a better calibre of player in, doesn't mean they will be world beaters but it shouldn't be too hard to replace the lot we are losing at the end of the season.

I wasn't a fan of Yogi as he was always on repeat, I think there seems a lot more substance to Pat's comments. Who knows how it will end though!

spike220
20-05-2012, 05:21 AM

I am pretty sure PF was getting abuse from a Hearts faction, I am sure we will hear more in due course.

spike220
20-05-2012, 05:30 AM

I dont think formation matters when none of the players were willing to put in tackle, the run in the build up to the penalty was diabolical, I could of closed that guy down and I am no footballer, there was a distinct lack of balls.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 08:38 AM
You do not need to be great/good player to close people down or get close to them, we are talking about some although better than ours pretty average Hearts players. Our problems down the flanks and throuh middle all caused by standing off. He has had enough time to show me we will not progress as he learned nothing from his [revious games.

I would maybe reflect if he alone got only his tactics but when you throw in most of the terible players yesterday were his then IMO that is last straw. The only thing he did right was subbing Claros the irony is with a CC signing and CC is seen as worse.

IMO as bad as each other.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 08:40 AM
I dont think formation matters when none of the players were willing to put in tackle, the run in the build up to the penalty was diabolical, I could of closed that guy down and I am no footballer, there was a distinct lack of balls.

Indeed so even if we say tactics didnt matter it was players lacking in some basics it again leads to PF as most of the culprits he signed. PF signings IMO well worse than CCs

BoltonHibee
20-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Indeed so even if we say tactics didnt matter it was players lacking in some basics it again leads to PF as most of the culprits he signed. PF signings IMO well worse than CCs

Another relegation battle ahead next season with him in charge IMO

BEEJ
20-05-2012, 08:44 AM
I am pretty sure PF was getting abuse from a Hearts faction, I am sure we will hear more in due course.
They were singing his praises sarcastically - "One Paddy Fenlon ... ". etc

He was wrong to react.

Sudds_1
20-05-2012, 08:49 AM

deary me..........think about that statement eh? no better than CC?

At least Fenlon shows he cares.....speaks truthfully about how he sees things....oh, and kept us in the SPL. He will have his chance now with his own squad that he will put together in the close season. Then we'll see, But up to now, the signs are more promising than with his predecessor, who genuinely didn't have a clue.

Till then, try to let your brain catch up with your fingers eh? :wink:

.Sean.
20-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Well said Carlsberg, him his s**t loanees players Petrie can all GTF as far as i am concerned, that was simply embarrasing today.:agree:

Correct. All concerned should be utterly disgusted with themselves.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 08:57 AM
deary me..........think about that statement eh? no better than CC?

At least Fenlon shows he cares.....speaks truthfully about how he sees things....oh, and kept us in the SPL. He will have his chance now with his own squad that he will put together in the close season. Then we'll see, But up to now, the signs are more promising than with his predecessor, who genuinely didn't have a clue.

Till then, try to let your brain catch up with your fingers eh? :wink:

P1sh, he kept us in SPL is that what his only target was for you? we do not know what PF and RP discussed but I believe it was not avoid relegation with 2/3 games to go. He speaks truthfully yes, he has more passion yes, IMO the signs though are no better maybe you need your brain to catch up. PFs record is as just about as bad as CCs no matter how much more commited PF is.

He failed to push Hibs up the SPL which I wanted to see, he in January had chance to tweak and did bringing in a few players but still struggled to get away from Dunfermline. He got 1/2 players right in the window however as seen yesterday 4/5 wrong. Not good enough pure and simple.

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2012, 09:02 AM

When you are outnumbered in the midfield, of course it matters? Especially against a team who do have better players than we do.

We might still have lost, but surrendering the middle of the park was a terrible decision and one of the main reasons we could not get into the game, and stop them from attacking at will.

francobaresi
20-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Some comple pi5h on here today... PF is accountable for that non event yesterday and should be lambasted for it... The club is rotten to the core which is evident from the top down, only the supporters know what it means to be Hibernian FC...

PF is not the man for Hibs, regardless what standard of team he has he should have had them up for it yesterday... They are still at the Barnton Hotel because they never turned up. That to me is a gaffer who is not in charge....

VPHIBEE
20-05-2012, 09:22 AM
P1sh, he kept us in SPL is that what his only target was for you? we do not know what PF and RP discussed but I believe it was not avoid relegation with 2/3 games to go. He speaks truthfully yes, he has more passion yes, IMO the signs though are no better maybe you need your brain to catch up. PFs record is as just about as bad as CCs no matter how much more commited PF is.

He failed to push Hibs up the SPL which I wanted to see, he in January had chance to tweak and did bringing in a few players but still struggled to get away from Dunfermline. He got 1/2 players right in the window however as seen yesterday 4/5 wrong. Not good enough pure and simple.

After the game yesterday I was gutted as everyone else was. The fact that we made a mediocre Hearts side look like Barcelona says it all. I for one was kidding myself, as we all were. I got carried away in the hype, not won for 110 years, the script was written to end the hoodo etc, etc, etc.... Why I, or anybody else thought that a team that had been so **** all year would go and do anything is crazy in the cold light of this morning.

Yes we bottled, no we didn't turn up, but we have to look forward. Any manager coming into Easter Road would have been on a hiding to nothing trying to turn us around. Pat kept us up, and I would like to see him given the chance to do something with his own team next year. Previous posters in this thread have hit the nail on the head, stability is what we need. If Pat does not do it next year get him out yes, but let's give the man a chance.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 09:30 AM
After the game yesterday I was gutted as everyone else was. The fact that we made a mediocre Hearts side look like Barcelona says it all. I for one was kidding myself, as we all were. I got carried away in the hype, not won for 110 years, the script was written to end the hoodo etc, etc, etc.... Why I, or anybody else thought that a team that had been so **** all year would go and do anything is crazy in the cold light of this morning.

Yes we bottled, no we didn't turn up, but we have to look forward. Any manager coming into Easter Road would have been on a hiding to nothing trying to turn us around. Pat kept us up, and I would like to see him given the chance to do something with his own team next year. Previous posters in this thread have hit the nail on the head, stability is what we need. If Pat does not do it next year get him out yes, but let's give the man a chance.

Sorry he has not showed enough to merrit longer, his signings have been some of the worst in years.

The Harp Awakes
20-05-2012, 09:38 AM
What a difference 90 minutes of football makes eh? If we had lifted the Cup yesterday Fenlon would have been a managerial genius and legend. Losing all of a sudden means that he's useless and should be binned:confused:

The guy has been in the job 6 months. He inherited the worst squad of players I have seen in my 38 years supporting Hibs. Under CC we were almost certainly heading for the 1st division and would probably have lost against Cowdenbeath in the Cup.

I didn't agree with Fenlon's team selection yesterday and he got his tactics wrong but he should be given credit for keeping us in the SPL and getting us to the Cup Final. He has a massive job ahead of him to change the fragile, soft-centred attitude which has existed at our Club ever since John Collins walked out the door.

We need some stability at the Club starting with the Manager. Signing McPake is a must and we must build our team around him with better quality players - no more loanees or journeyman.

ThirdManRun
20-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Sorry he has not showed enough to merrit longer, his signings have been some of the worst in years.

This attitude is the reason we've had 8 managers in 10 years. He hasn't had enough time to prove anything one way or another. His sole aim was to keep us up. The players he signed were with that in mind and did the job.

The fact we got to the cup final was remarkable and, in retrospect, was too much for the team right now. More so when we had to face up to Hearts. It was embarrassing. Yes we should have played better and competed more. But it's a long running problem that goes to the core of our club and needs addressing.

Changing the manager again doesn't do that. It would be a knee jerk reaction to a game we were lucky to even be playing.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 09:44 AM
This attitude is the reason we've had 8 managers in 10 years. He hasn't had enough time to prove anything one way or another. His sole aim was to keep us up. The players he signed were with that in mind and did the job.

The fact we got to the cup final was remarkable and, in retrospect, was too much for the team right now. More so when we had to face up to Hearts. It was embarrassing. Yes we should have played better and competed more. But it's a long running problem that goes to the core of our club and needs addressing.

Changing the manager again doesn't do that. It would be a knee jerk reaction to a game we were lucky to even be playing.

Not knee jerk I had concerns before. Where is this his sole aim was to keep us up come from? Maybe thats the attitude as to why we are were we are. If we are still having the same issues 7mths into the job with poor signings then that is a concern.

WhileTheChief..
20-05-2012, 09:45 AM
This crap that PF was brought in to save us from relegation is total bull.

We had only played 9 games when he took over, were 4 points above ICT who were bottom and only 3 points behind Hearts in 4th place.

No way the Petrie said all you gotta do is keep us up Pat, the jobs yours. Nonsense.

It was only when we slipped down the league that we shifted the goal posts and said staying up was the goal.

PF has got to take the responsibility and going by his post match interview he will.

My biggest worry is what happens this close season. This time last year the first thing CC did was extend Stevenson's contract by a year, exactly how PF has started off. If this is a sign of how the summer will unfold then next year will be just as bad if not worse.

The clear out needs to begin with guys like Murray, Stevenson, Hanlon, Sproule etc. All the 'fans favourites' are crap and need to go. Billy Brown should be first on the list.

I like PF and hope that he has the freedom to do as he wants. No more Petrie signings a la Sproule and O'connor. Let the manager manage.

Littlest Hobo
20-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Fenlon has had to bring in a patch work of players to keep us up.
He's achieved that.
You cannot judge the mans record before he's even been given a chance.

Now is where it begins but as JC found out, Petrie will not open the biscuit tin too much to help him so his work will be cut out. Bargain basement players it'll have to be.

Can wee Pat get the best out of bargain basements?
Can wee Pat get the rid of the softness that has been present for years and years. Even when players have come and gone, it hangs around like a bad smell.

Could it be the people who actually run this club that create that aura ?

I suspect that is were the real problem lies.

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2012, 09:49 AM
I cant believe we are wanting rid of Fenlon, only 5 minutes into the job, he needs time. We are a terrible team, but any manager needs more time than he's had.

When he took over we were in real trouble, he had to bring in loan players to help us stay up. We managed that, and also made a cup final. How many folk would have said we'd stay up and reach Hampden when Calderclown was in charge?

Fenlon's made mistakes, but he deserves a proper chance to make us better.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 09:49 AM

We had only played 9 games when he took over, were 4 points above ICT who were bottom and only 3 points behind Hearts in 4th place.

No way the Petrie said all you gotta do is keep us up Pat, the jobs yours. Nonsense.

It was only when we slipped down the league that we shifted the goal posts and said staying up was the goal.

PF has got to take the responsibility and going by his post match interview he will.

My biggest worry is what happens this close season. This time last year the first thing CC did was extend Stevenson's contract by a year, exactly how PF has started off. If this is a sign of how the summer will unfold then next year will be just as bad if not worse.

The clear out needs to begin with guys like Murray, Stevenson, Hanlon, Sproule etc. All the 'fans favourites' are crap and need to go. Billy Brown should be first on the list.

I like PF and hope that he has the freedom to do as he wants. No more Petrie signings a la Sproule and O'connor. Let the manager manage.

I agree I do not believe that was his job I think he managed the very minimum and thats not enough, PF is responsible for having us i a relegation battle himself.

ThirdManRun
20-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Not knee jerk I had concerns before. Where is this his sole aim was to keep us up come from? Maybe thats the attitude as to why we are were we are. If we are still having the same issues 7mths into the job with poor signings then that is a concern.

With what he inherited, and our form over the last 3 years, what should his aim have been? If we are going to turn this round it's a long term project. I also have concerns about the manager, but he needs more time to prove himself. He's not even had a pre-season.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 09:51 AM
I cant believe we are wanting rid of Fenlon, only 5 minutes into the job, he needs time. We are a terrible team, but any manager needs more time than he's had.

When he took over we were in real trouble, he had to bring in loan players to help us stay up. We managed that, and also made a cup final. How many folk would have said we'd stay up and reach Hampden when Calderclown was in charge?

Come on BH you felt this with CC early in his tenure. You might not feel the same under PF as I do but surely you understand.

CallumLaidlaw
20-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Absolutely BH. Not surprised by the usual knee jerk reaction tho. I am devastated about yesterday. I really can't believe it happened. But we got there, which was an achievement in itself, and now it's about using the funds raised from the run, and building for next season. We need go go into the new season 100% behind the man that got us to a Scottish cup final

Dalkeith
20-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Now is where it begins but as JC found out, Petrie will not open the biscuit tin too much to help him so his work will be cut out. Bargain basement players it'll have to be.

Can wee Pat get the best out of bargain basements?
Can wee Pat get the rid of the softness that has been present for years and years. Even when players have come and gone, it hangs around like a bad smell.

Could it be the people who actually run this club that create that aura ?

I suspect that is were the real problem lies.
:top marks

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 09:54 AM
With what he inherited, and our form over the last 3 years, what should his aim have been? If we are going to turn this round it's a long term project. I also have concerns about the manager, but he needs more time to prove himself. He's not even had a pre-season.

His aims should be top 6 last season or making in roads, if winning 5 or 6 Spl matches was the target then I fancy my chances.

ThirdManRun
20-05-2012, 09:56 AM

We were only 3 points behind Hearts because so few games had been played. Do you really think he took on a team that could compete with them? And their wage bill? We were on a downward spiral and were yet to hit rock bottom. I don't think many managers could turn that round straight away, it was always going to get worse before it got better.

I agree with the rest of your points about clearing out the playing staff.

ThirdManRun
20-05-2012, 09:58 AM
His aims should be top 6 last season or making in roads, if winning 5 or 6 Spl matches was the target then I fancy my chances.

I'm sure that will be his aim for next season once he can shape his own team.

WhileTheChief..
20-05-2012, 10:01 AM
We were only 3 points behind Hearts because so few games had been played. Do you really think he took on a team that could compete with them? And their wage bill? We were on a downward spiral and were yet to hit rock bottom. I don't think many managers could turn that round straight away, it was always going to get worse before it got better.

St Mirren & St Johnstone were on the same points as Hearts at that time, i expect us to be able to compete with them.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Exactly so few games played so PF is as responsible for our bad season as anyone. I never asked him to turn it around but I looked for some hopes and avoing going down with 2/3 games is not good enough. He had Januaray to tweak and still we struggled as a lot of those guys were no good.

The guy has 100% more passion than CC but that hasnt brought in lots of better players or stopped us having a terrible season. I do not see what PF brings to table to suggest he can improve things.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm sure that will be his aim for next season once he can shape his own team.

Im sure he wasnt told just to avoid relegation when he came but that is what has happened and that is not something to thank him for. He played a part in us having to avoid it.

ThirdManRun
20-05-2012, 10:06 AM
St Mirren & St Johnstone were on the same points as Hearts at that time, i expect us to be able to compete with them.

Yes.... As a club we should be bettering them regularly. My point is that it wasn't realistic for us to do that this season, with that squad, once Pat took over. Shouldn't judge this season in isolation. The problems at Hibs are chronic and that ain't Pat's fault.

jacomo
20-05-2012, 10:07 AM
They were singing his praises sarcastically - "One Paddy Fenlon ... ". etc

He was wrong to react.

PF did nothing to impress me yesterday afternoon. Set up, tactics, subs, even his body language and behaviour in the technical area all found wanting. He looked out of his depth.

I desperately want him to do well but he's not giving much cause for optimism.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Yes.... As a club we should be bettering them regularly. My point is that it wasn't realistic for us to do that this season, with that squad, once Pat took over. Shouldn't judge this season in isolation. The problems at Hibs are chronic and that ain't Pat's fault.

It was realistic to bring in a new manager better than CC and not fight relegation with 3 games left.

ThirdManRun
20-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Exactly so few games played so PF is as responsible for our bad season as anyone. I never asked him to turn it around but I looked for some hopes and avoing going down with 2/3 games is not good enough. He had Januaray to tweak and still we struggled as a lot of those guys were no good.

The guy has 100% more passion than CC but that hasnt brought in lots of better players or stopped us having a terrible season. I do not see what PF brings to table to suggest he can improve things.

If you think the problems with our club can be solved with a 'tweak' in a January transfer window, I'm astonished.

As I've said I have some doubts about Fenlon too and I think that's reasonable. What I can't understand is why people would want to change the manager again at this stage.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 10:13 AM
If you think the problems with our club can be solved with a 'tweak' in a January transfer window, I'm astonished.

As I've said I have some doubts about Fenlon too and I think that's reasonable. What I can't understand is why people would want to change the manager again at this stage.

Where did I say it could? He had the chance to make improvements and McPake aside I think the players have been poor. I never said he could change everything in January, he changed not a lot really and brought in dross.

ThirdManRun
20-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Where did I say it could? He had the chance to make improvements and McPake aside I think the players have been poor. I never said he could change everything in January, he changed not a lot really and brought in dross.

That's how I read it. The squad needs an overhaul and January was not the time to do it. I think Doherty was decent, and Doyle might yet be a player. Midfield was poor though and signings didn't help there. Again we've been soft in that area for years. Hopefully sort that out in the summer.

HibsMax
20-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Here's my take on things.

There aren't lines of players pounding on Hibs door. Certainly not of the caliber required. We can't totally blame the manager for making poor signings if he doesnt have options. We're on a downward spiral. It's a vicious circle. Poor teams do not attract good players. Teams without good players generally don't do as well. Bad season. Manager fired. New guy in. Tries to change things, doesn't get it right immediately. Punted. It starts again.

To me there is only one way to reverse the trend. How do you get a good player into a crap team? You pay him. But where does the money come from.

It's an uphill battle for whomever is in charge.

Eyrie
20-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Fenlon needs a proper transfer window to rebuild the squad before we can judge him. The options in January are very limited, and we were lucky to get McPake. More often the additions are disinterested fringe players like Soares or guys who don't have a team for good reason like Kujabi.

I'm sticking with Fenlon. We need some stability at the club and changing the man in charge will further destabilise us. Why should the players take any manager seriously when they know that he'll carry the can for a few bad performances by them? And then they will have no loyalty to the new man because he didn't sign them.

truehibernian
20-05-2012, 10:23 AM
That's why Pat should be given time. The spine of the team, keeper, centre backs, centre mid, striker, need completely strengthened, but with experience and more importantly players who are here for the long haul - Hibs, through form, have always been a 'temporary team' - loans, one year deals......get the spine of the team on 3 year deals....that sends a message that we are building a side. Supplement that with youth, creativity and pace.

The keepers, Brown and Stack - I'd release. Sadly the likes of Wotherspoon - just ain't working out for ya kid, you'll no doubt make it, but you've got the negative body language that tells me mentally you can't kick it. Hanlon - jury has and always will be out on Paul for me. Garry O - the message Hibs sent out when we took him back, is the wrong one - his past, sadly, should have meant he was both too risky to sign and let players know 'well they take him back, so I can test their limit too' - Totally accept I'll get his goals as an argument - but we have to think about discipline, the message it sends, and mentality. Leigh - absolutely terrific talent, but again, mentality wrong.....sends a wrong signal and can affect team morale.....I'm still in the 'sign him' camp, but he needs to mature, with good wise heads around the team.

Get a tight knit squad of 17......add in 6 of the young players, and you have the start of a real squad, with a bond, with a purpose. And the manager has to come out this week and say so.....a battle cry if you like. But a vision - I want to hear where he sees the actual football team failing. And I want 4 real marquee (in SPL terms) signings.....preferably as I say, dealing with the spine of the side.

And I want to see Harris, Stanton, Forster, Caldwell and Handling, in that side, competing, and giving the senior players something to think about.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Fenlon needs a proper transfer window to rebuild the squad before we can judge him. The options in January are very limited, and we were lucky to get McPake. More often the additions are disinterested fringe players like Soares or guys who don't have a team for good reason like Kujabi.

I'm sticking with Fenlon. We need some stability at the club and changing the man in charge will further destabilise us. Why should the players take any manager seriously when they know that he'll carry the can for a few bad performances by them? And then they will have no loyalty to the new man because he didn't sign them.

We need stability but we need the right man, unfortunatly IMO we have the wrong man again and him having more time will see more trouble.

Ferryhibby
20-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Next seasons goin to be pretty strange anyway, the huns cant sign anyone so will have to play most of there 19,s, herz are gettin rid of their 'top' earners, and might have to play most of their 19s or bargain basement players are theyr called now, dundee utd, aberdeen, st j, motherwell, all seem to be in the same sort of situation, cutting budgets, so we could actually do some good here depending on what players come in, making it a little more of an even playing field, so we need to give PF a chance and see how we start off the season think a lot more of the 19s will come in nxt year also.

Baader
20-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Typically hibs. We get to the final against our rivals with a very poor makeshift squad much of which has been thrown together out of desperation in a January transfer window.

Hertz offload their top earners (no coincidence their best players...) in the summer but not before the biggest derby in over a century...

We may well win the cup eventually (blind optimism here admittedly) but pains me to think it probably won't be against that bunch...

H18sry
20-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Here's my take on things.

There aren't lines of players pounding on Hibs door. Certainly not of the caliber required. We can't totally blame the manager for making poor signings if he doesnt have options. We're on a downward spiral. It's a vicious circle. Poor teams do not attract good players. Teams without good players generally don't do as well. Bad season. Manager fired. New guy in. Tries to change things, doesn't get it right immediately. Punted. It starts again.

To me there is only one way to reverse the trend. How do you get a good player into a crap team? You pay him. But where does the money come from.

It's an uphill battle for whomever is in charge.

But Motherwell,S Johnstone and Killie who all pay less than us can attract better quality player's, that must be down to the management :confused:

Sudds_1
20-05-2012, 11:17 AM

ok then......if Fenlon has failed after 6 months working with the worst ibs squad in decades - having first taken time to clear out some deadwood and at least managed to save an SPL spot for us......and notwithstanding all the other predecessors who came with good CV's and "failed":

- who do you suggest we get?
- How much will a reasonable salary be for him?
- how long will you give him?
- what players do you suggest we bring in/remove? and
- what will our wages ceiling be?

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2012, 11:22 AM

Without those signings he made in January, i'm now convinced we'd have been relegated. I think he gambled on bringing in more loan players than is the norm, to 1 keep us up, and 2 give us the breathing space that gives us to start the rebuild thats obviously needed.

He got rid of a lot of players straight away, who were complete wasters and taking us down. The gamble worked and we stayed up, i think we all hoped and he probably did too that they'd be a bit better, and we'd not been in a relegation fight.

That was not the case though, but we did stay up, and had the added bonus of the cup final, although that does not feel like a bonus today, financially its given him a much better chance of bringing in better players next season.

Our club is in a real mess player wise, after the loans go back, whats left is relegation fodder. I think Fenlon can stop this, and address the situation, its going to take a lot of hard work though, but he deserves the chance to try and do it imo.

BoltonHibee
20-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Without those signings he made in January, i'm now convinced we'd have been relegated. I think he gambled on bringing in more loan players than is the norm, to 1 keep us up, and 2 give us the breathing space that gives us to start the rebuild thats obviously needed.

He got rid of a lot of players straight away, who were complete wasters and taking us down. The gamble worked and we stayed up, i think we all hoped and he probably did too that they'd be a bit better, and we'd not been in a relegation fight.

That was not the case though, but we did stay up, and had the added bonus of the cup final, although that does not feel like a bonus today, financially its given him a much better chance of bringing in better players next season.

Our club is in a real mess player wise, after the loans go back, whats left is relegation fodder. I think Fenlon can stop this, and address the situation, its going to take a lot of hard work though, but he deserves the chance to try and do it imo.

The club is in a mess player wise, has been for some time. What on earth makes you think that Fenlon will turn this around? Or is it just a faint hope you are clinging to?

Albion Hibs
20-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Fenlon seems like a nice guy, but I point the finger of blame largely at him for yesterday. He does consistanly say the right thing to the media, the kind of things fans want to hear, but I am not a massive beliver in this people pleaser routine.

The club have a big decision to make, keep him for another season (and I mean a full season) or replace him now. Harsh to say the later and I am not usually one for calling for someones head.

Hibernia Na Eir
20-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Petrie.

No more loan nonsense. IT DOESNT WORK.

BoltonHibee
20-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Fenlon seems like a nice guy, but I point the finger of blame largely at him for yesterday. He does consistanly say the right thing to the media, the kind of things fans want to hear, but I am not a massive beliver in this people pleaser routine.

The club have a big decision to make, keep him for another season (and I mean a full season) or replace him now. Harsh to say the later and I am not usually one for calling for someones head.

They won't get shot of him, but I do think they should

Dalkeith
20-05-2012, 11:32 AM
ok then......if Fenlon has failed after 6 months working with the worst ibs squad in decades - having first taken time to clear out some deadwood and at least managed to save an SPL spot for us......and notwithstanding all the other predecessors who came with good CV's and "failed":

- who do you suggest we get?
- How much will a reasonable salary be for him?
- how long will you give him?
- what players do you suggest we bring in/remove? and
- what will our wages ceiling be?

but why is he working with the worst squad decades?
its because we have sold every player worth anything and replaced them with cheaper options

Sudds_1
20-05-2012, 11:33 AM

see my post above....... replace with who? and How long will you give this one? Part of the reason we're in this mess is this "need" for instant success in the shape of a new manager........it aint going to happen, and with VERY few exceptions never has for most teams.

What you need is patience......and support a man who as you say, is saying thr right things....understands the meaning of yesterdays result to the supporters and is saying he will change things. Sacking him for yet another unknown is just continuing the disease at this club. Hbs have neither the resources or backers to do otherwise. I mean, we're hardly a huge attraction.

So.after 6 months we need to give the man a chnace IMHO.

Sudds_1
20-05-2012, 11:35 AM
but why is he working with the worst squad decades?
its because we have sold every player worth anything and replaced them with cheaper options

yep, but you can't blame Fenlon for that? he's having to work with what was there when he took over....and is overall gradually replacing those.

H18sry
20-05-2012, 11:37 AM
see my post above....... replace with who? and How long will you give this one? Part of the reason we're in this mess is this "need" for instant success in the shape of a new manager........it aint going to happen, and with VERY few exceptions never has for most teams.

What you need is patience......and support a man who as you say, is saying thr right things....understands the meaning of yesterdays result to the supporters and is saying he will change things. Sacking him for yet another unknown is just continuing the disease at this club. Hbs have neither the resources or backers to do otherwise. I mean, we're hardly a huge attraction.

Were we not having the same discussion last season with Calderwood?

Dalkeith
20-05-2012, 11:39 AM

but will he be given the money to do so, and i mean real money to buy real players

Baader
20-05-2012, 11:42 AM
He has a massive job on his hands. We need to allow him the time to at least attempt it. He inherited a shambles and only the damaged goods available in January (McPake excepted) to try and improve us. Despite a few doubts I think and hope he will do a job but he isn't a miracle worker...

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 11:44 AM

Where were Hibs sitting in the league when PF took over.

20-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Next seasons goin to be pretty strange anyway, the huns cant sign anyone so will have to play most of there 19,s, herz are gettin rid of their 'top' earners, and might have to play most of their 19s or bargain basement players are theyr called now, dundee utd, aberdeen, st j, motherwell, all seem to be in the same sort of situation, cutting budgets, so we could actually do some good here depending on what players come in, making it a little more of an even playing field, so we need to give PF a chance and see how we start off the season think a lot more of the 19s will come in nxt year also.

Exactly so we need to be capitalising on that. If we can build a decent , strong squad then we can do well. It's all about investment though, we desperately need Mr Petrie to dig deep and go all out to actually bring some talented, strong and experienced players to the club. I don't mean "do a rangers" and pay totally outrageous amounts of money and eventually up up in the state they're in but he needs to loosen the purse strings otherwise we will continue to be a bottom 6, mediocre side!

The silver lining yesterday is that hopefully this has woken up the board and made them see just how much change is needed! I trust Fenlon, I think his reaction after yesterdays match just show how much he wants to suceed with this club and I think he should be in Petries office on monday morning demanding a lot of financial support in the summer so he can build up his own squad!

Albion Hibs
20-05-2012, 11:59 AM

I agree completely we need to have consistancy and keep a manager, give him time and allow him to do something. we are in a mess as a result of constantly changing managers that have a need to bring in their own players so we end up with a fragmented squad and probably end up spending more money on getting rid of managers and players than we would if we just elected to pay a bit more for a better quality of player.

That said it needs to be the right guy in place in the first place. I dont want to be in the position again for getting rid of another manager in advance of the AGM or pre xmas.

I dont think Fenlon saved us from relegation, I think dunfermline did. I worry about may have happened if fat jim had been appointed a month earlier. I also dont want to see our manager sent to the stand for waving his arms at the opposition fans, I think fenlon is better than getting involved in that!

The board and the manager will know far better if current management team has the ability to build a team, and I dont think that means raiding the LOI for players. I dont see billy brown being there next year so we will have to see what the board chose to do. Albeit i think their job starts on monday having lost a few players after the game yesterday. I am delighted this season is over, in hindsight i wish it ended as i was walking out of the inverness game. The work starts here and I guess I am probably guilty of being a bit down on Fenlon after yesterdays team / tactics display.

Cropley10
20-05-2012, 12:05 PM
I agree completely we need to have consistancy and keep a manager, give him time and allow him to do something. we are in a mess as a result of constantly changing managers that have a need to bring in their own players so we end up with a fragmented squad and probably end up spending more money on getting rid of managers and players than we would if we just elected to pay a bit more for a better quality of player.

That said it needs to be the right guy in place in the first place. I dont want to be in the position again for getting rid of another manager in advance of the AGM or pre xmas.

I dont think Fenlon saved us from relegation, I think dunfermline did. I worry about may have happened if fat jim had been appointed a month earlier. I also dont want to see our manager sent to the stand for waving his arms at the opposition fans, I think fenlon is better than getting involved in that!

The board and the manager will know far better if current management team has the ability to build a team, and I dont think that means raiding the LOI for players. I dont see billy brown being there next year so we will have to see what the board chose to do. Albeit i think their job starts on monday having lost a few players after the game yesterday. I am delighted this season is over, in hindsight i wish it ended as i was walking out of the inverness game. The work starts here and I guess I am probably guilty of being a bit down on Fenlon after yesterdays team / tactics display.

Very good post

Jones28
20-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out :)

Wotherspiniesta
20-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the arse on your way out :)

Away and piss off and watch Man City if you can't cope, Love The Blue. :aok:

HibsMax
20-05-2012, 12:40 PM
But Motherwell,S Johnstone and Killie who all pay less than us can attract better quality player's, that must be down to the management :confused:

It could be down to management. Or maybe they just don't want to play for Hibs? I genuinely don't know.

I just get a little tired seeing the manager being blamed for poor signings when he really might be doing the best he can. That's not to say it isn't his fault (partially or wholly) but I don't know how tightly bound his hands are.

One thing that I just thought about, and it worries me, is we've been pretty unsuccessful at building a team over the past few years. Do we have enough faith in the club splashing the cash and not end up in massive debt and still have a crap team?

Sudds_1
20-05-2012, 01:47 PM

Agreed....but if you don't give the guy a chance, how do you know he's the right man for the job? Even Alex Ferguson in his early MANU days was one game away from the sack before his methods started to work. Look at him now.

I dont think Fenlon saved us from relegation, I think dunfermline did.

We could argue that all day! But you have a point. DAFC were a poor poor team. I like to think it was a mix of both?

I worry about may have happened if fat jim had been appointed a month earlier. I also dont want to see our manager sent to the stand for waving his arms at the opposition fans, I think fenlon is better than getting involved in that!

:wink:

Stevie Reid
20-05-2012, 01:54 PM

Not one part of the bit in bold is true - Calderwood was in charge of Hibs for 17 games this season (14 league games and 3 league cup matches), and when he was sacked after the 1-0 home defeat to Dunfermline, they moved off the bottom of the league onto the same points as us. We were 9th in the league on 13 points from 14 games, Dunfermline were 10th on the same points from one less game - Aberdeen and ICT were 11th and 12th on 12 points each; Aberdeen also had a game in hand on us. Hearts were 6 points above us in 5th place.

Fenlon's first game in charge was against Motherwell in December, our 17th league game.

yeezus.
20-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Is that true? I herd he made a gesture at them but wasn't sure if it's true.

BoltonHibee
20-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Is that true? I herd he made a gesture at them but wasn't sure if it's true.

On the radio they said he made a hand gesture towards the Hearts fans in reaction to a comment. I don't think he was waving Cheerio to them

Emerald
20-05-2012, 02:22 PM

Great post.

I have never been in favour of the PF appointment but hoped he would come good but I just cant see it. I'm pretty sure a host of lower league clubs could have put on a better display yesterday. PF prepared the team, gave them instructions and tacticts, picked the players and tried to motivate them. He failed in all of these things. Don't forget the hero status he would have taken on had they won, so he has take the blame for the defeat and terrible record he has had since arriving. There are people saying better tactics would still not have won us the game, maybe so but surrendering the midfield and allowing them the freedom of the wings was just bad management. Our midfield have sat two yards in front of our back four since he arrived, giving the opposition acres of space to play in and no out ball or link up with the forwards. That could have been sorted with better tactics and preperation. He is the manager that was in charge on the worst day of my life as a Hibs supporter and I have no confidence in him being the right man to change things. I really really hope I'm wrong on that one. :boo hoo:

Greentinted
20-05-2012, 02:48 PM
For a while now I've found our managerial situation chiming with that of Dundee Utd when they employed 6 managers in 6 years up until the installation of Levein (while I am a huge critic, he was suited to that club) who stabilised and dragged a club in disarray forward, although if judged on the first 6 months of his tenure he too would have been ousted. I don't know if PF is the medium to long term answer but with a proper close season behind him a more circumspect judgement can be made after the first two rounds of games.

As to what the boards expectations of PF were, only they will know for sure. Although both parties have said in various interviews 'staying up' was the priority - of course, even such an explicit phrase is subject to interpretation. Conversely - I don't think the brief was to beat Hearts at Hampden in May either.
Furthermore, Billy Brown's continued presence has been puzzling as it was increasingly obvious that he pines to be with his big pal - at best unprofessional, at worst a glib insult to the fans who, by-and-large welcomed him in spite of his dubious footballing affiliations. Nothing personal Billy, but see you are more than expendable.

Baker9
20-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Petrie has run the football in this football club into the ground but he's good at counting.

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Ferguson was never 1 game away from the sack when they beat Forrest in that cup game.

R'Albin
20-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Petrie has run the football in this football club into the ground but he's good at counting.

Yes, by appointing poor managers. If we were going to get rid of him it should've been when CC was punted, not now IMO.

Yuillsy
20-05-2012, 04:24 PM

If Fenlon really done that he's a legend IMO. If any of the players showed
that passion we wouldn't have been on the receiving end of a ttanking

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 05:22 PM

BH myself with you were critical of CC from quite an early stage and we continued as the performances and results really did not improve, unfortunatly I find myself with the exact same thoughts as with CC except this time you are seeing something I am not and vice versa.

I will counter your first paragraph as it is conjecture as is my response if he had accuired better players in window relegation may not have been an issue. I agree with you loans was really the only route I question the ability of most of them.

I will say that when CC came in whas his brief avoid relegation? If so he did it. PF I will conceed had a worse squad on day 1 than CC so he maybe had a harder task however I think PFs dealings in his first window left a lot to be desired. Maybe I am harsh BH but I expect to see more improvements even in 6 months than I saw.

Yesterday really was a situation IMO that he has almost learned nothing from day 1 or his previous matches v Hearts, Mixu seemed to not learn and this looks the same. I admire PFs spirit and passion it wipes the floor with CC but for me there were lots of things yesterday that were avoidable and the team failed and from what I saw it was basically all PFs signings at major fault.

What are you seeing in him BH that I maybe am not mate.

Frazerbob
20-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Fenlon's reaction to the Hearts fans singing "One Pat Fenlon" was shown (twice) on Sportscene and it is cringe worthy. What was worse was that when asked in the after match interview about it he claimed it was aimed at his player! Embarassing, it was a clear "GIRFUY" towards the Hearts fans.

How can he possibly install any discipline in the team when he has none himself.

He showed a lot of passion in the interview and seemed to ready to make sweeping changes but he also seemed to be passing the buck somewhat by blamimg the culture that has existed at ER over a number of years despite the fact that many of the team were his signings.

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2012, 06:08 PM
BH myself with you were critical of CC from quite an early stage and we continued as the performances and results really did not improve, unfortunatly I find myself with the exact same thoughts as with CC except this time you are seeing something I am not and vice versa.

I will counter your first paragraph as it is conjecture as is my response if he had accuired better players in window relegation may not have been an issue. I agree with you loans was really the only route I question the ability of most of them.

I will say that when CC came in whas his brief avoid relegation? If so he did it. PF I will conceed had a worse squad on day 1 than CC so he maybe had a harder task however I think PFs dealings in his first window left a lot to be desired. Maybe I am harsh BH but I expect to see more improvements even in 6 months than I saw.

Yesterday really was a situation IMO that he has almost learned nothing from day 1 or his previous matches v Hearts, Mixu seemed to not learn and this looks the same. I admire PFs spirit and passion it wipes the floor with CC but for me there were lots of things yesterday that were avoidable and the team failed and from what I saw it was basically all PFs signings at major fault.

What are you seeing in him BH that I maybe am not mate.

Dont get me wrong, yesterdays humiliation was a result of his players and formation. Both were shocking imo.

Where we disagree is, like you i think he had to start from a much lower base than Calderclown. He had to shuffle the pack, getting rid of quite a few high earners who were just awful. He brought some new players in, some better than others, it was a gamble though, but one he had to take imo as the team he inherited was taking us down.

I'm not daft enough to say this lot are much better, but i do think they are slightly. And the gamble of getting rid of the last lot and replacing them with loans was done imo to get us to the end of the season in the SPL.

The cup run was a bonus, and as i said elsewhere although it does not feel like a bonus just now, will help in what we can bring in next season.

I have no idea if what i said above is right, its just what i think. And if thats true, he deserves a chance to start next season and bring in the players to change this downward spiral we seem to be in.

BoltonHibee
20-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Dont get me wrong, yesterdays humiliation was a result of his players and formation. Both were shocking imo.

Where we disagree is, like you i think he had to start from a much lower base than Calderclown. He had to shuffle the pack, getting rid of quite a few high earners who were just awful. He brought some new players in, some better than others, it was a gamble though, but one he had to take imo as the team he inherited was taking us down.

I'm not daft enough to say this lot are much better, but i do think they are slightly. And the gamble of getting rid of the last lot and replacing them with loans was done imo to get us to the end of the season in the SPL.

The cup run was a bonus, and as i said elsewhere although it does not feel like a bonus just now, will help in what we can bring in next season.

I have no idea if what i said above is right, its just what i think. And if thats true, he deserves a chance to start next season and bring in the players to change this downward spiral we seem to be in.

You alternate between loving managers and hating them. Hughes was the love of your life, Calderwood you hated and now you love Pat. What on earth makes you think Fenlon is going to turn anything around?

You live in hope as opposed to any reasoned judgement.

Fenlon has proven himself as much of a clown as Calderwood.

basehibby
20-05-2012, 06:29 PM

:top marks Fenlon sent out the best side at his disposal and (as has been the case all season) they were not good enough to cope with a top 6 side. Those talking about getting rid of him are crazy - all it would mean is we are back to square one, managerless and rudderless yet again rather than attempting to build on existing progress. Remember that Fenlon has achieved his prime objective of keeping Hibs in the SPL as well as MASSIVELY OVER-ACHIEVING by getting the team into the Scottish Cup final. OK yesterday was an enormous let down but lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater please.

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2012, 06:33 PM
You alternate between loving managers and hating them. Hughes was the love of your life, Calderwood you hated and now you love Pat. What on earth makes you think Fenlon is going to turn anything around?

You live in hope as opposed to any reasoned judgement.

Fenlon has proven himself as much of a clown as Calderwood.

And you just hate everybody. :na na:

Love the Green
20-05-2012, 07:40 PM

Yes we did BH that is what this shower of hopeless excuses for a football team have been providing all season.. how can you say we never turned up..this was he best this lot can do.

"keep the faith"

ScottB
20-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Fenlon's reaction to the Hearts fans singing "One Pat Fenlon" was shown (twice) on Sportscene and it is cringe worthy. What was worse was that when asked in the after match interview about it he claimed it was aimed at his player! Embarassing, it was a clear "GIRFUY" towards the Hearts fans.

How can he possibly install any discipline in the team when he has none himself.

He showed a lot of passion in the interview and seemed to ready to make sweeping changes but he also seemed to be passing the buck somewhat by blamimg the culture that has existed at ER over a number of years despite the fact that many of the team were his signings.

Yes, he probably shouldn't have reacted, but this was no mere defeat. He's spent his career winning things, the Bohs fans that have posted seem to reckon that anything short of 100% effort drives him to distraction, he was clearly boiling over with fury, and reacted in the moment. I'm almost heartened by that in a way, certainly when compared to CC.

I don't know what to think of him as a manager really. He kept us up, but we have not improved, the same problems remain, though there a good number of his signings in there. The players he brought in range from McPake, probably our best signing since Stokes, to, well, huddies as bad as we've seen under CC and Hughes, so we shall see what he can do in the summer.

I can't help but find myself coming back to a point I've made before, we need quality, but if you were a player good enough to shine in the SPL, why would you come to Hibs? If it was me I'd look at the revolving door of managers and players, that the current squad appear to not bother their backsides even in Cup Finals etc. Why would you risk your career, emotional considerations aside, if any other SPL sides were in for you, you'd probably go somewhere else.

There's a lot of work ahead in the summer, we are pretty much stuck with Pat so let's get on with it.

Emerald
20-05-2012, 08:11 PM
:top marks Fenlon sent out the best side at his disposal and (as has been the case all season) they were not good enough to cope with a top 6 side. Those talking about getting rid of him are crazy - all it would mean is we are back to square one, managerless and rudderless yet again rather than attempting to build on existing progress. Remember that Fenlon has achieved his prime objective of keeping Hibs in the SPL as well as MASSIVELY OVER-ACHIEVING by getting the team into the Scottish Cup final. OK yesterday was an enormous let down but lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater please.

We're back to square one anyway, the whole squad needs a clear out and the loan deals will have gone. I would much rather have the right manager for the job doing the re-building than sticking with the wrong man, which I think he is. Sorry, but that is my opinion and I am sticking to it. However, Pat won't be going anywher and I will continue to hope he gets it right and hope I'm proved wrong.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 08:45 PM

Back to square one? I would suggest that is exactly where we are right now.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 10:25 PM

Do you not think that 6 months in even from what he had at day 1 and after one transfer window we could have at least manged to get the team doing basic closing down during matches? With that in mind how long will it take to sort the more advanced issues? Sorry BH but the lack of closing down killed us and that is PFs role to ensure we did if we are still at that stage 6 months in it will be 2020 by time he sorts it.

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Do you not think that 6 months in even from what he had at day 1 and after one transfer window we could have at least manged to get the team doing basic closing down during matches? With that in mind how long will it take to sort the more advanced issues? Sorry BH but the lack of closing down killed us and that is PFs role to ensure we did if we are still at that stage 6 months in it will be 2020 by time he sorts it.

If you are talking about yesterday, i thought he sent the wrong team and formation out. Although it did seem to me a lot of those players completely froze on the big stage.

We are not going to agree on this, i think he should get the time to build his team, yesterdays team was thrown together for one reason alone, and that was to stay up.

Getting to the final while financially terrific, has completely turned a lot of the support against him, i wish we'd lost to Aberdeen.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 10:37 PM
If you are talking about yesterday, i thought he sent the wrong team and formation out. Although it did seem to me a lot of those players completely froze on the big stage.

We are not going to agree on this, i think he should get the time to build his team, yesterdays team was thrown together for one reason alone, and that was to stay up.

Getting to the final while financially terrific, has completely turned a lot of the support against him, i wish we'd lost to Aberdeen.

The final was just another match that he failed in BH. I think no matter what he should have since January managed to do better than he has, if you are sending out wrong teams and formations still then that is a worry. I believe he brought in these players to push up league firstly and in doing so avoid relegation. I think his signings along with tactics leave a lot to be desired so I cannot see what you do thats good.

jacomo
20-05-2012, 10:40 PM

I saw nothing yesterday in our team to suggest PF has got it. They were set up wrong from the start and became shambolic before the 1st half was up.

Fenlon might learn, but he seems tactically naive to me. He needs to learn quickly.

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2012, 10:42 PM
The final was just another match that he failed in BH. I think no matter what he should have since January managed to do better than he has, if you are sending out wrong teams and formations still then that is a worry. I believe he brought in these players to push up league firstly and in doing so avoid relegation. I think his signings along with tactics leave a lot to be desired so I cannot see what you do thats good.

I dont believe i have said its good, i just think he had to get people in and out as we were going down in my opinion. And the reason he brought so many loans in was so he could have a virtual blank canvas in the summer.

Its been poor, we can all see that.

Captain Trips
20-05-2012, 10:49 PM
I dont believe i have said its good, i just think he had to get people in and out as we were going down in my opinion. And the reason he brought so many loans in was so he could have a virtual blank canvas in the summer.

Its been poor, we can all see that.

Loans are still signings though and you have to be judged, he got most of them wrong. 2 of the worst culprits yesterday are on books for next season. The whole club is a shambles and I said this would end in disaster with all these loans.

Hibercelona
20-05-2012, 10:58 PM
I think if we stick with Fenlon, it would be a good choice.

You could see the passion in his face yesterday, he was absolutely outraged on the touch line and he seems to know exactly what the problem is at the club.

Unfortunately the obvious problem is a problem that will take quite some time to address and the only way we're going to get these problems addressed is by backing the manager all the way and giving him a realistic amount of time to change things around.

Old nasty habits take time to stamp out completely. So please, lets give the man a chance eh.

The last thing he needs is for everybody to be jumping on his back already.

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Loans are still signings though and you have to be judged, he got most of them wrong. 2 of the worst culprits yesterday are on books for next season. The whole club is a shambles and I said this would end in disaster with all these loans.

Of course loans are signings, but he got rid of a lot of players as soon as he was in the door. He had to replace them, or we'd have had no players. The reason he brought the loans in was to help us stay up that was the aim.

Now we'd all have liked them to be better, but thats the gamble you take in January with everyones cast offs.

His first job was to stay up, its not been great but he needs a chance in the summer imo to see the job done right now. That includes signing players on proper contract, not 6 month loan deals and the likes.

Hibercelona
20-05-2012, 10:59 PM

The loans where no great shakes, but they done what they were brought in to do.

Fenlon met the required target with the short amount of time he has been here and he deserves time to turn this ***** around. So lets give him the backing he needs.

c31
20-05-2012, 11:03 PM
The loans where no great shakes, but they done what they were brought in to do.

Fenlon met the required target with the short amount of time he has been here and he deserves time to turn this ***** around. So lets give him the backing he needs.

Any manager that puts out a side that gets humped 1v5 b them should be sacked, by Pat thanks and all that but along with your loanees take a hike

SteveHFC
20-05-2012, 11:04 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/321457/Fenlon-to-axe-Cup-Final-flops

Bayern Bru
20-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Any manager that puts out a side that gets humped 1v5 b them should be sacked, by Pat thanks and all that but along with your loanees take a hike

Genius.

It's almost as if you're suggesting Fenlon deliberately chose pish players to play.

Sir David Gray
20-05-2012, 11:06 PM
He needs to be given at least another year to try and turn this around. Nothing will be achieved by making a knee jerk reaction and changing the manager yet again.

It will be really interesting to see who he brings in over the summer. The club is in a really bad place right now, it's been that way for the last couple of years, and we can surely only improve from here.

Hibercelona
20-05-2012, 11:08 PM

Pat should be applauded for getting us as far as the final in the first place.

Sure, the performance was utterly wooful and we're all outraged about that, but we wouldn't have got anywhere near the final in the first place if it wasn't for Pat.

It would be utterly ridiculous for him to be sacked simply on the basis of yesterday.

c31
20-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Genius.

It's almost as if you're suggesting Fenlon deliberately chose pish players to play.

Get back to the football manager games, eh?

He signed 1/2 of them, trained them, it was his tactics etc it was a mess

HibeeMG
20-05-2012, 11:09 PM

He didn't get all the loan signings wrong. He, like us, expected more from them.

Maybe it's the nature of a loan signing. The player is sent on loan for a reason.

Yesterday, regardless of the formation and tactics, the players didn't turn up. The loanees (McPake aside) were more than likely thinking about going back to their own clubs injury free rather than getting stuck in.

In January we were never going to get in the calibre of player we needed/wanted on permanent deals. We just don't deal in that market any more. Anyone thinking otherwise needs to wake up.

During the summer is where proper deals can be made with clubs who have been relegated/promoted.

Like BH, I am behind PF for this coming season. Yes, he has made mistakes with the players he has brought in and with his tactics, but he has a better background than all of our previous managers from Williamson (don't get me started on him!) onwards. He obviously has passion for the job which was a major failing with Calderwood. We have yet to see how he deals in the transfer market when he has been given the time and space to do it.

Hibercelona
20-05-2012, 11:12 PM
He needs to be given at least another year to try and turn this around. Nothing will be achieved by making a knee jerk reaction and changing the manager yet again.

It will be really interesting to see who he brings in over the summer. The club is in a really bad place right now, it's been that way for the last couple of years, and we can surely only improve from here.

I would say its been pretty bad for more like 5 years, which is why I agree with you that he needs time to change things around.

It's not just players he needs to focus on, he needs to focus on wiping out the seemingly poisonous atmosphere within Easter Road that has plagued us for the last several years.

He's kept us up and deserves his chance at not only bringing in the right players, but restoring a sense of optimism and a winning mentality back into the club.

shezer
20-05-2012, 11:25 PM
In league of Ireland circles Pat Fenlon is referred to as a 'money manager'.That doesn't mean he is a bad one.It just means give the guy some money and he will be a success.I don't know do i agree with it though.I thought we were being burned on the left wing in the first half and he made no change.Doyle should have been brought on at half time.It seemed like everyone could see it but Pat......still he kept us up.Give him the chance he deserves