PDA

View Full Version : 10 Observations From A Day of Disappointment

Speedway
19-05-2012, 07:05 PM
1. Hibernian turned up today, I saw the club and it's spirit throughout the stadium

2. The players are losers in spirit and mentality. We have one exception and that's our captain.

3. We owe Hearts a sincere debt of gratitude. They could've raped us today and got rid of nearly 40 years of bragging rights on the tireseome 0-7 thing we hang on to. They stopped trying after the 4th. Ours was a mercy killing today.

4. Whilst the penalty never was a penalty, if we can't make a challenge on a player when we've got two players on him over 20 yards, we deserve everything we get.

5. This will hopefully speed up the departure of a lot of people out of the club.

6. The only complaint I have about today is that Hearts have players that they can't afford and that they do not pay. That is genuine cheating in my book.

7. Fenlon's setup and subs I find no fault with. Getting sent to the stands for screaming at his own player's incompetence sums up what we have at the club.

8. I have no issue with the fans who left early. Hibs have done this to us too often to deserve any blind support.

9. I don't agree that Hearts were mediocre, I felt they gave a good account of themselves.

10. This was our year, everything was in place and the manager prepared us well. The players and the players alone are to blame for this disgrace on the club.

SlickShoes
19-05-2012, 07:09 PM
1. Hibernian turned up today, I saw the club and it's spirit throughout the stadium

2. The players are losers in spirit and mentality. We have one exception and that's our captain.

3. We owe Hearts a sincere debt of gratitude. They could've raped us today and got rid of nearly 40 years of bragging rights on the tireseome 0-7 thing we hang on to. They stopped trying after the 4th. Ours was a mercy killing today.

4. Whilst the penalty never was a penalty, if we can't make a challenge on a player when we've got two players on him over 20 yards, we deserve everything we get.

5. This will hopefully speed up the departure of a lot of people out of the club.

6. The only complaint I have about today is that Hearts have players that they can't afford and that they do not pay. That is genuine cheating in my book.

7. Fenlon's setup and subs I find no fault with. Getting sent to the stands for screaming at his own player's incompetence sums up what we have at the club.

8. I have no issue with the fans who left early. Hibs have done this to us too often to deserve any blind support.

9. I don't agree that Hearts were mediocre, I felt they gave a good account of themselves.

10. This was our year, everything was in place and the manager prepared us well. The players and the players alone are to blame for this disgrace on the club.

:top marks best post ive read since the drubbing, agree with it all.

TheEastTerrace
19-05-2012, 07:10 PM

All valid. The last thing we need to do is start fighting among ourselves as well. I don't blame any Hibby who left at 3-1 when they were doing the 'ole' - I know I had to walk into the concourse as I was about to burst a blood vessel.

What we actually need to do is unite and bring about change in the club because it shone through loud and clear today that the team is a shambles.

Wotherspiniesta
19-05-2012, 07:12 PM

Absolutely spot on. :aok:

Baldy Foghorn
19-05-2012, 07:13 PM

Fair assessment, why oh why, are they always much more up for it than our team???? They did take foot off the gas, and the small consolation is the defeat was not much heavier than it was.....

hibee_girl
19-05-2012, 07:14 PM

Agree with every word but especially the bit in bold

The Voice Of Reason
19-05-2012, 07:17 PM

I agree with all of your points :top marks

Gatecrasher
19-05-2012, 07:18 PM

:top marks

Super Leigh
19-05-2012, 07:21 PM

Spot on, agree with all points made. :aok:

Crab apple
19-05-2012, 07:24 PM

That's an excellent post Speedway. Agree with everything you say. Players are to blame - our full backs were ripped all game long, the central midfield pairings were woeful, Gaz - off the pace. Special mention also to the ref - set the tone early on by failing to book Black for his elbow and seemed never to give us a decision. That said we hardly put in tackle.

scuttle
19-05-2012, 07:26 PM

Agree 100% apart from no9, Hearts are mediocre, it just shows how bad WE really are

lucky
19-05-2012, 07:28 PM

100% correct.

.SeventyFive
19-05-2012, 07:29 PM

Agreed! My first thought after this was that they obviously don't care about this margin of victory thing that we do. They just care about the victory. Our players should have been doing what needed to be done to show they cared. Hopefully changes to the club will be made as a whole as we have become USED to losing.

Hiber-nation
19-05-2012, 07:30 PM
:top marks best post ive read since the drubbing, agree with it all.

Me too, an excellent summary.

The_Todd
19-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Excellent points and well made. Number Two strikes a chord. There's a loserish attitude at our club and that above everything needs nipped in the bud.

Aldoo
19-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Agree 100% apart from no9, Hearts are mediocre, it just shows how bad WE really are

Come on!! How many times do we read on here 'hearts are mediocre/rank/poor.' People need to realise that the hearts team that plays against us are a completely different monster from the one that plays against everyone else. It is the sheer inability of our players to get close to matching the levels hearts can when they play us which costs us each and every time we play them.

HibbySpurs
19-05-2012, 07:31 PM

Brilliant post :top marks

I believe that PF is the man for the job, he has achieved the aim he was given on appointment and somehow scrambled us to this horile day but the players (McPake excepted) let themselves & everyone connected with the club down big time... It's time for real change and the board simply must back PF with real money to rebuild a shattered squad and if theres any way of doing it that squad should be built around McPake.

Heckys Wheel
19-05-2012, 07:36 PM
McPake was f***ing gash as well.

If he's the great white hope, we're in trouble!

Hiber-nation
19-05-2012, 07:37 PM

No he wasn't. It would have been 7 without him.

heidtheba
19-05-2012, 07:39 PM

Good post, fair, balanced and spot on.

Speedway
19-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Now let's see. A CH who has our only shot on target that I can remember. He also clears one off the line to keep us in it. He threw his body at the ball to stop shots and/or crosses on 5 occasions, he challenged and won the majority of his headers, he shouted and cajoled his team throughout.

Nope, not gash.

Baldy Foghorn
19-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Thought his block at 2-0 was superb to avoid going three behind, then we score, thought it was the turning point. A minute into second half its 3-1 and down to ten men, could not have got a worse start to second half.....

Heckys Wheel
19-05-2012, 07:45 PM
What about Skacel's goal? Stood and and watched him turn on the edge of the box then let him get a shot in.

HibsMax
19-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Agreed.

007 Mickey Weir
19-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes this is a brilliant post and summed up today. Fans and display totally out did Hearts until our team gave them the cup. Hearts were solid and did the job well and could have been more.

Keep

McPake
Griffiths

Rest can do one!

Saw Swanson in with the Hibs fans today. He is not the answer but good to see him following us.

scuttle
19-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Come on!! How many times do we read on here 'hearts are mediocre/rank/poor.' People need to realise that the hearts team that plays against us are a completely different monster from the one that plays against everyone else. It is the sheer inability of our players to get close to matching the levels hearts can when they play us which costs us each and every time we play them.

Ok then ,they are mediocre when they play everyone else and are brilliant against us

CiscoKid
19-05-2012, 07:55 PM

Good post but I don't agree with the Fenlon got things right parts, don't get me wrong, we need to give Fenlon a chance and he currently doesn't have much to work with but I think he got some fundamental things wrong and he has to realise that himself. Hearts have good wide players (wingers & full backs) and we have pretty poor full backs, I think it was a tactical mistake not to play with more width in Midfield. Black is their playmaker and we seemed to give him all the time in the world to spray his passes around.

Having said that I don't think better tactics would have saved us, in the cold light of day they just had better players than us, the likes of Black, Skacel & Driver have more quality than any of our guys, I can just about handle that but they also had much more desire which is harder to take.

It was nice to dream last night and on the way to the game but that lot barely deserved to stay up never mind win the cup.

Biggie
19-05-2012, 08:10 PM
I agree, especially #3 - if that was hibs dicking about. If we had hearts at our mercy I would not be happy at us taking our foot off the gas...they should have gone for the throat and they could easily put to bed that 7-0........we've said for a while this was the weakest team in living memory, it's just a pity that's the team that turned up today.

The Green Goblin
19-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Agree, yes.

Regarding your last point...it is true, but it is also true that we have a club for whom creating, keeping and developing a decent, quality, winning team is way down their list of priorities.

Also, Hibs don't deserve the fans they have.

1950's hibbie
19-05-2012, 09:18 PM
An excellent post, to me the thing that was missing was passion. I don't know where it comes from But Hearts have players from all over the world, but they seem to have bought in to this believe thing they get going. I thought McPake was very good, he looked like he could buy into a passion type system, unfortunately he did not have much company. What has to be understood is we were/are a team fighting until near the end of the season to avoid relegation. Hearts whether you like it or not finished fifth in the league with a substantially better record than ours. What is even worse to handle many of their league points were gained against us. We had a considerable number of loan players out there, some who probably have no concept of what the rivalry means or even care. It was an opportunity, we didn't take it, I am glad my only responsibility now is to criticise, because I would hate to be the man who has to cure this malaise we have of giving in to arch enemies.

SkintHibby
19-05-2012, 09:41 PM

Speedway. :agree: Well said everything mate.

LancashireHibby
19-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Spot on OP. The fact we're talking of maybe 2/3 players to stay next season is a big indication of the size of the job that Fenlon has got on his hands.

Onion
19-05-2012, 11:02 PM

:agree:when was the last time hearts put 5 past anyone ?????

Iain G
20-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Nice balanced and fair summary Speedway, not easy to pull back and show some objectivity at the moment!

This season should be written off for Fenlon as job done, we are still the theSPL which had to be his one target this year, now let him tear down this patched up team and let him build some solid foundations over the summer, hopefully he has learnt a lot about what needs to be done to put a team in place that will challenge and not wilt at the slightest bit of pressure. He must be allowed to removebthe rotting dead wood regardless of who they are.

Ryan91
20-05-2012, 01:47 AM
Nice balanced and fair summary Speedway, not easy to pull back and show some objectivity at the moment!

This season should be written off for Fenlon as job done, we are still the theSPL which had to be his one target this year, now let him tear down this patched up team and let him build some solid foundations over the summer, hopefully he has learnt a lot about what needs to be done to put a team in place that will challenge and not wilt at the slightest bit of pressure. He must be allowed to removebthe rotting dead wood regardless of who they are.

:agree:

Fenlon did his job and people calling for him to be sacked because of one performance are being ridiculous.

Deadwood needs to be gotten rid of and there sadly is a lot of it. This team is full of holes, and needs serious rebuilding work. The board needs to give Fenlon money to spend to bring in the right kind of players for this club.

silverhibee
20-05-2012, 02:11 AM
Brilliant post :top marks

I believe that PF is the man for the job, he has achieved the aim he was given on appointment and somehow scrambled us to this horile day but the players (McPake excepted) let themselves & everyone connected with the club down big time... It's time for real change and the board simply must back PF with real money to rebuild a shattered squad and if theres any way of doing it that squad should be built around McPake.

If the manager got it right today then why the fak did he take of Claros in the first half of the game, he got his tactics wrong simple as that.

To go 4-4-2 against them at hampden is just asking for a drubbing, yes the players were **** today, who prepared them for the game, who was meant to get them up for the game, who played a 4-4-2.

McPake will be away ASAP from this club.

Its back to scratch again, a new hole team again over the summer, folk on here saying give the players time to bed in everything will be okay, heard it all before, its like a stuck record.

Our club is in a mess and has been for to long, something is wrong at the club that's for sure.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee or it will be 1st division football after next season.

Radium
20-05-2012, 02:30 AM

:aok: great update, point 10 is the centre [couldn't use the other word] of our problems - we need leaders.

Having missed everything about today because of work [and no I couldn't get out of it, and did have a ticket] I am gutted that we haven't turned up - thats all I wanted, turn up , try hard and hope to get a result like they got in the semi final [beating a team with a vastly superior wage bill through a bit of luck and application]. I will not fault Fenlon and hope that the promise from RP that PF will make the decisions around players stand - we need leaders and McPake fits the bill, but Fenlons challenge is to find them in other positions.

truehibernian
20-05-2012, 02:43 AM
Dusan Pernis, Johnny Hayes, Greg Tansey, Nigel Hasselbaink, John Sutton, Paul McGowan, Keith Lasley, Murray Davidson, Dean Shiels and James McPake.......that's my 10 observations today......each of these players, signed on 2-3 year contracts, supplimented with youth and existing players. That would bring results, team ethic, workrate, genuine desire and experience.

We were lost today in a sea of mediocrity.....Hearts played well, but we gave them the ball, allowed them acres of room again, and played catch up football.

Doherty - has never.wanted to be here, played like it today.

Soares - I apologise in advance, I thought this stage would suit him. I can see now why he fails.....he believes he is better than he is.

Claros - wow, pedestrian in a major cup final.....that just is unthinkable, yet it happened.

Pat F - got his tactics wrong today IMO.....Hearts are so predictable it's untrue, yet he, like CC before him, went narrow and played to their strengths, which are width and central midfield. Black.....despite saying it til I'm blue in the face.....dictated.....will a Hibernian manager ever ever see it ?

Have to be honest and say that that was a pretty shameful showing from the manager, players and officials today. Hearts totally deserve their win, they played well. But again, we allowed them to.

The rebuild starts now.....but it must be done with a 3 year strategy - get the spine of the team strong, with leaders in each department. Blend in youth, so as to show the youngsters if you're good enough, you play. The losing mentality, which let's face it is engrained, means certain players have to seek pastures new.......the Hibernian 'charity' of opening doors to 'one of our own' has to stop. We are soft, vulnerable, fickle and flimsy.....top of the club to bottom. Too nice.....not mean enough.

I'm not as angry as I thought I'd be tonight. But there will be some players, who in 5 years time, will be playing at Barrow, or Torquay or Rushton&Diamonds.....and they'll look back and say 'I wish I could play that game again'.....well lads, it won't ever come around again for you, at any level......you missed your chance big time, and you should be ashamed you didn't give every ounce of sweat you had today.....your football CV will contain the word 'regret'.....but you all deserve what you got. The fans did their part......you simply didn't.

Phil D. Rolls
20-05-2012, 03:45 AM

Spot on - the players let us down.:top marks

Hiber-nation
20-05-2012, 06:55 AM
I'm not as angry as I thought I'd be tonight. But there will be some players, who in 5 years time, will be playing at Barrow, or Torquay or Rushton&Diamonds.....and they'll look back and say 'I wish I could play that game again'.....well lads, it won't ever come around again for you, at any level......you missed your chance big time, and you should be ashamed you didn't give every ounce of sweat you had today.....your football CV will contain the word 'regret'.....but you all deserve what you got. The fans did their part......you simply didn't.

Yep, just what we were saying yesterday about the likes of Soares & Osbourne (except Torquay is probably above their true level). Losers with a capital L.

Phil D. Rolls
20-05-2012, 06:58 AM

Yep, that team was put together to beat relegation. Clearly it was never a team that would compete for prizes. I reckon some of them were overwhelmed and out of their depth in front of a big crowd.

Barney McGrew
20-05-2012, 07:00 AM
I reckon some of them were overwhelmed and out of their depth in front of a big crowd.

I think all of them were in that position.

sh00byd00
20-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Ridiculous comment. he was the only player breaking a sweat. The reason he was unfortunate with his deflection was because he was the only player willing to put his body in the way. If we had 9 more out field players like him, we would have won or at least made a game out of it. He probably won't be back due to the embarrassment of having to play with that shower of imposters again.

BEEJ
20-05-2012, 09:03 AM
The rebuild starts now.....but it must be done with a 3 year strategy - get the spine of the team strong, with leaders in each department. Blend in youth, so as to show the youngsters if you're good enough, you play. The losing mentality, which let's face it is engrained, means certain players have to seek pastures new.......the Hibernian 'charity' of opening doors to 'one of our own' has to stop. We are soft, vulnerable, fickle and flimsy.....top of the club to bottom. Too nice.....not mean enough.
:agree: The signing of former players largely in the hope that their presence will put bums on seats, has to stop.

IFONLY
20-05-2012, 09:12 AM

I think you will find that he got sent to the stand for an offensive gesture to the Hearts fans(as shown on T.V.)very mature IMO.

Spike Mandela
20-05-2012, 10:22 AM

If there is any lesson from this year what with the success of Hearts and then Rangers having their most successful financial year yet, shaving over £100m off their debt:rolleyes:, it is surely that Hibs need to shake off their financial shaclkes and join the reckless spending party.

Bigbobajob
20-05-2012, 10:36 AM

Agree with all of that.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Speedway's posts make Hibs.Net worthwhile IMHO.

Iain G
20-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Speedway's posts make Hibs.Net worthwhile IMHO.

Thank you Mrs Speedway :greengrin:wink:

Hibernia&Alba
20-05-2012, 12:14 PM
I very much agree with the OP. We have a huge re-building job ahread this summer and over the next few years. It's a complete mess.

Speedway
20-05-2012, 08:02 PM
This has been a sobering experience.

This big team/wee team thing they insist on is now proven and they can have it.

We need to get our character and basic identity back. Stuff what anyone else says, wants to claim OR whatever. We have bigger fish to fry. I've struggled with the ER experience for some time now. We need Hibs back on the park.

For what it's worth, I think Fenlon is capable but this outcome is the final insult for me. Hibs now need to return and what I mean by that is the fight, the spirit and the aspirational outlook of our original founders. I accept budgetary constraints, I'm looking for innovation, improvisation and ingenuity in it's place.

There's no jinx on the cup or our participation in anything else, we make our own luck, either way.

COME ON, Hibs.

snooky
20-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Now let's see. A CH who has our only shot on target that I can remember. He also clears one off the line to keep us in it. He threw his body at the ball to stop shots and/or crosses on 5 occasions, he challenged and won the majority of his headers, he shouted and cajoled his team throughout.

Nope, not gash.

And you forgot to mention that he went to right back at times to cover for AWOLs.

Jones28
20-05-2012, 08:11 PM
This has been a sobering experience.

This big team/wee team thing they insist on is now proven and they can have it.

We need to get our character and basic identity back. Stuff what anyone else says, wants to claim OR whatever. We have bigger fish to fry. I've struggled with the ER experience for some time now. We need Hibs back on the park.

For what it's worth, I think Fenlon is capable but this outcome is the final insult for me. Hibs now need to return and what I mean by that is the fight, the spirit and the aspirational outlook of our original founders. I accept budgetary constraints, I'm looking for innovation, improvisation and ingenuity in it's place.

There's no jinx on the cup or our participation in anything else, we make our own luck, either way.

COME ON, Hibs.

Dont think I've ever agreed with any posts more than with these 2 Speedway:aok:

snooky
20-05-2012, 08:13 PM

Well balanced view of the situation :top marks
Not only do we need fight, we need basic football skills and movement off the ball.
I've never seen such a static side in all my days of watching football -ever.