PDA

View Full Version : What Hibernian Means To Me

One Day Soon
18-05-2012, 10:09 PM
As I sit listening to my playlist for tomorrow's coach - 'All Together Now' currently playing - I am overtaken with a sense of being in the right place at the right time.

That may mean that our Grail is before us and that we will finally achieve what many good, good Hibernians have lived and died without seeing. Perhaps it means something else. As with so many other things in life it is difficult sometimes to see clearly what really and truly matters.

I believe that what is really important is not simply our destination at any point in time, but the journey we are always on together. Perhaps it is the influence of my politics, but I also believe deeply that loyalty, love and collective endeavour are what give distinction and meaning to any real community.

I am so proud and so very, very joyous to be a part of the Hibernian family and to know that tomorrow we will take the next step on our journey with many thousands of others whether it is in victory or defeat.

I love that we are the underdog, that we are never the establishment in this city, that we have had to scratch and fight for our existence, that no preferential treatment or favoured status has given us unfair advantage and that in spite of everything here we still stand collectively as testimony to our team and our determination to give expression to that half of the city that isn't conventional. Especially I love that we enduringly follow the pilgrimage for this cup together in spite of our lack of success in it - a spirit that just will not die.

Every man and woman who didn't live to see us lift this cup knew that thousands of others would succeed them in seeking it. Many thousands will succeed us whether we win it or not. What a privilege to be on this journey together.