PDA

View Full Version : John White

Phil D. Rolls
13-04-2012, 06:06 PM
A wee diversion from the semi final nerves.

I never saw John White play, but have seen some footage (which I can't find on YouTube). He looked some player - in fact I'd say years ahead of his time. However, he gets little mention in Scotland. Another case of a non OF player, being a non person?

What are our senior members' thoughts?

lyonhibs
13-04-2012, 06:09 PM
is that 'The Ghost' who played for Spurs. One of their greatest ever?

Spike Mandela
13-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Alloa's most famous player! Some memorabilia in the Alloa boardroom when I visited.

thebakerboy
13-04-2012, 06:18 PM
He played for Bonnyrigg Rose and they have a lounge dedicated to his memory.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

snooky
13-04-2012, 06:36 PM
He played for Bonnyrigg Rose and they have a lounge dedicated to his memory.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

...and the secondary juvenile team Musselburgh Union, I believe.

hibbybrian
13-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Never saw him play but he did get 22 caps in 5 years so more recognition than Gordon Smith with 19 caps Bobby Johnstone with 17 caps Pat Stanton with 16 caps Peter Cormack and Eddie Turnbull with 9 caps Alex Cropley with 2 caps Willie Ormond with 6 caps Neil Martin and Darlin Willie Groves with 3 caps and Willie Hamilton Des Bremner and Jim Scott with 1 cap

WindyMiller
13-04-2012, 06:45 PM
My grandad raved about him. I only vaguely remember him. I don't know who he was in competition with for the inside-left position, but he must have been good.

His son tells the story of he and his mother being made homeless because they lived in a house provided by the club when his father died.

Aritch
13-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Wasn't he killed by lightning on a golf course?

I seem to remember Stuart Cosgrove talking about him on Off The Ball.

Mibbes Aye
13-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Not a 'senior member' :greengrin but I suppose it didn't help that White was from a less-televised age. He is described in almost reverential terms but just wouldnt have been visible to many Scots. Fifteen or so years later and the likes of John Robertson at Notts Forest and the Liverpool Scots were better-known because their European games were being shown and internationals were more regularly televised.

Another good candidate for non-OF and therefore non-person IMO is Frank McLintock - genuinely outstanding career down South but never even made double figures in Scotland caps. Would be curious as to how he compared against the established picks of the time - I'm guessing it was the likes of Greig and McNeill.

And possibly a shout for the greatest under-acknowledged Scottish player - Alex James??

WindyMiller
13-04-2012, 06:54 PM
My grandad raved about him. I only vaguely remember him. I don't know who he was in competition with for the inside-left position, but he must have been good.

His son tells the story of he and his mother being made homeless because they lived in a house provided by the club when his father died.

Tommy Docherty was the No. 10 for the 1958 World Cup.

The Lawman was No 10 in '62. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/hampden-park-scotland-v-england

fit o' the walk
13-04-2012, 06:57 PM
John (The Ghost) White was a great inside right for Scotland and the famous Spurs team who did the double in i think it was 1960/61.Sadly killed by lightning on the golf course,his brother Tommy who played for a few clubs including the ****s was a totally different type of player,John was a talented,graceful midfielder,Tommy was a centre who would run thru a brick wall.

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Tommy Docherty was the No. 10 for the 1958 World Cup.

The Lawman was No 10 in '62. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/hampden-park-scotland-v-england

What fantastic footage that is...Hampden like it always was

:aok:

:not worth

truehibernian
13-04-2012, 07:07 PM
John McMaster (Aberdeen) and our very own Ally McLeod were the finest players I have seen that went uncapped at international level. Both fine fine players in their era.

fat freddy
13-04-2012, 07:41 PM
john white was brought up a couple of doors from my dad in musselburgh...he gave my dads brother one of his scotland strips as the two families were fairly close (my grandad played for alloa, but not at the same time as john)...when my uncle died the strip went to my dad and when my dad died the strip went to me...it's in a cupboard up the stair and one day i'm going to get round to doing something with it...from family accounts john was one of the best...his son wrote a book about him last year.

Phil D. Rolls
13-04-2012, 07:52 PM
is that 'The Ghost' who played for Spurs. One of their greatest ever?

Yes - a Fisherrow lad, whose two brothers Tom and Edwyn also played pro. Tom was a director of Blackpool FC for a long time.

Phil D. Rolls
13-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Think he might feature in this.

http://youtu.be/jcWYqH-cqYU

jdships
13-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I went to a Sampdoria ( Genoa) pre season friendly the weekend after he was killed , in July 1964, and they had a minutes silence before the game .
The Italian's knew all about him and newspapers carried the story and photographs .
Don't forget he played 30 Games and scored 8 goals for Falkirk before joining 'Spurs for a " reported " £22,000

:aok:

hibee92
13-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Lifelong mates with his Grandson, and his Nephew used to coach me as a laddie. Lovely family - Jambos though :greengrin Although, Spurs come first for them every time.

The Harp
13-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Only saw 'The Ghost' playing a couple of times but nice to see a thread dedicated to one of the most graceful players scotland has ever produced. Just noticed recently there's a bench outside the Brunton Theatre in Musselburgh to his memory.
So sad that his son, who worked on John's biography, published last year, will have no recollection of his Dad. He was only 6 months old, and his sister just 2, when John was killed.
Tragic!

oregonhibby
14-04-2012, 06:34 AM
There is a great book called The Ghost of White Hart Lane. Well worth a read.

poolman
14-04-2012, 10:20 AM
My uncle likened him to the great Duncan Edwards so that says it all I think

On an aside, I'm at work but

Mon' the Cabbage

CapitalHibs
14-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Was booed and jeered at by hun supporters when he wore the Scottish jersey (what changes?) as he was part of the Spurs team that tore the Huns apart over two legs in the European Cup Winners Cup competition.

stu in nottingham
14-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Our family were also from
Fisherrow and John White's name was used in reverential terms by my dad. Simplye speaking, he though The Ghost was ghe greatest thing since sliced bread. On his untimely passing, our house was one of mourning

Reading about the great man's career his style of play seemed ahead of his time in many ways. One of his trademarks was his intelligent running off the ball, timed so that he would arrive unexpectedly in the opposition penalty area. His control and passing were legendary too.

Although sadly seldom talked about, John White must surely be in Scotland's very elite of players.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/12/01/article-1232394-076C540C000005DC-833_224x310.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/23/article-1379944-0B38164A00000578-723_468x718.jpg

jgl07
14-04-2012, 04:40 PM
I saw him play once for Spurs at Maine Road, a year or so before he was killed.

He was a great player in a team with a superb midfield including Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, and Cliff Jones.