PDA

View Full Version : Another Paul Hanlon thread.......

Littlest Hobo
01-04-2012, 03:19 PM
The laddie needs a rest, that is all.

Holmesdale Hibs
01-04-2012, 03:22 PM
he should play up front.

smurf
01-04-2012, 03:23 PM

Great timing of a thread!

Alfred E Newman
Oops :greengrin

DC_Hibs

Couldn't agree more - you will be ripped up now he scored of course!

Littlest Hobo
01-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Couldn't agree more - you will be ripped up now he scored of course!

He's murder at the back, he sold the jerseys in the first half with a poor pass which allowed a one on one situation which thankfully they hit the post with. Then he gives away a penalty.

This opinion isn't just about today though, this is over the season. I thought he improved slightly when McPake came in but he's like bambi on ice at times.

nonshinyfinish
01-04-2012, 03:26 PM
He has been poor overall, but the timing is hilarious.

:faf:

Littlest Hobo
01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
He has been poor overall, but the timing is hilarious.

:faf:

Agreed. hee hee

I was going to post it when he sold the jerseys in the first half..........Damn it.

Steven_Hibs
01-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Said it all along, he's murder. Every player has Hanlon on toast :rolleyes: Good headed goal however :greengrin But terrible defensively and nearly cost us 2 or 3 goals with his shocking positioning.

Pretty Boy
01-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Today probably shows why he started his career as an attacking midfielder.

Murder to average to defensively but a cracking headed goal.

J-C
01-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Today probably shows why he started his career as an attacking midfielder.

Murder to average to defensively but a cracking headed goal.

Heard that on the tv today, didn't realise that, maybe a good idea to stick him back there as he's murder at the back.

SMAXXA
01-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I've said this for long enough he's simply not good enough. Can't believe I read a poster earlier in the week saying his positioning and reading of the game I'd one of his strengths, beggars belief

PatHead
01-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Although I don't think Hanlon is playing well I find it disappointing that one of our supporters can't even wait until full time to start a thread having a go at one of our players.

KWJ
02-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Today wasn't his best game but he never shied away. He'll be back better next week.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2012, 08:07 AM
We have been terrible defensively this season and for the last 2 or 3, Hanlon while being young has been part of that defence, and has not got any better since coming into the team as a highly rated youngster.

How come playing beside McPake did not make him play better yesterday? Its because he's just not that good, and imo never will be.

He's a decent size for a centre half, but as we saw yesterday not very good on the ball, caught the wrong side of his player way too often, little pace and weak in the challenge.

If he could attack the ball with the same determination as he did for his goal, he'd look better, but thats the exception rather than the rule.

We need better.

Judas Iscariot
02-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Although I don't think Hanlon is playing well I find it disappointing that one of our supporters can't even wait until full time to start a thread having a go at one of our players.

The same poster also stated round about the same time on the match update thread that he'd not be going to the semi to watch these losers...

:aok:

SlickShoes
02-04-2012, 08:55 AM
The same poster also stated round about the same time on the match update thread that he'd not be going to the semi to watch these losers...

That is depressing.

As bad as hibs are, even if we were worse and 100% relegated I would still be at a semi final. I don't understand why fans would pass up the chance to see us play at hampden no matter how bad we are, you never know what can happen in a cup game. It's not as if we are regularly in the latter stages of any competition.

Steven_Hibs
02-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Heard that on the tv today, didn't realise that, maybe a good idea to stick him back there as he's murder at the back.

Heard that too, said Alastair Stevenson turned him into a Centrehalf, so when Fenlon turned up at training on the first day and took one look at Hanlon, and heard this, he said Stevenson MUST GO :greengrin

Steven_Hibs
02-04-2012, 09:38 AM
I've said this for long enough he's simply not good enough. Can't believe I read a poster earlier in the week saying his positioning and reading of the game I'd one of his strengths, beggars belief

Agreed, The Sun said he was our star man :confused::confused:

He was all over the joint, gave away the penalty and we do need a lot better players in the centrehalf position

Steven_Hibs
02-04-2012, 09:40 AM
We have been terrible defensively this season and for the last 2 or 3, Hanlon while being young has been part of that defence, and has not got any better since coming into the team as a highly rated youngster.

How come playing beside McPake did not make him play better yesterday? Its because he's just not that good, and imo never will be.

He's a decent size for a centre half, but as we saw yesterday not very good on the ball, caught the wrong side of his player way too often, little pace and weak in the challenge.

If he could attack the ball with the same determination as he did for his goal, he'd look better, but thats the exception rather than the rule.

We need better.

:top marksWe need much much better, and I believe Fenlon will strengthen this position in the summer

frazeHFC
08-04-2012, 09:13 PM
I thought Hanlon was absolutely brilliant today! Some cracking slide tackles in the box. :thumbsup:

soupy
08-04-2012, 09:15 PM
I thought Hanlon was absolutely brilliant today! Some cracking slide tackles in the box. :thumbsup:

100% agree here!!

Hibs Class
08-04-2012, 09:21 PM

Thought today was the best I've seen him play this season. Not only did he have a good game but he looked a lot more confident today.

hibsboy90
08-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I suppose we should remember that the reason these guys play for hibs is that they do not always have excellent games!

matty_f
08-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Hanlon was one of the best players on the pitch today IMHO.

Saorsa
08-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Hanlon was one of the best players on the pitch today IMHO.That'll probably still no stop some folk giving the laddie stick though.

Pretty Boy
08-04-2012, 09:50 PM
I've been critical of Hanlon in the past but he was very, very good today.

Like Sproule, if he could produce perfornances like he did today every week then his critics, of which I.have been one, would be forced to eat their words.

Albion Hibs
09-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Today Hanlon was man of the match for me, no doubt about it.

The one thing I think he has always lacked from his game is aggression. He has shown a lot more of that recently, and I thought he gave higdon nothing all day. The same striker that took a hatrick of McPake only a few games ago to put things in perspective.

HibbyAndy
09-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Simply outstanding today, Being along side the utterly brilliant Mcpake has brought his game on no end!

Best performance from PH for a long time, Credit where its due.

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2012, 05:46 AM
Hanlon was really good today, if he could play like that every week we would have an excellent CH on our hands.

500miles
09-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Another laddie who's attitude holds them back. O'Connor, Riordan, Brown and Thomson, all thought they were the dugs baws, so they didn't fear criticism, and the didn't hesitate or hold back.

Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Stevenson...... for the last few years, we've produced some technically good players, who just don't believe it.

down-the-slope
09-04-2012, 06:56 AM
I think that last 30 mins when Well changed their tactics to put everything down the wings was proof of how superb our CH's and Lewis sheilding them were playing...up until that it had all been in air for Higdon to bring midfield into play...which was not working as Hanlon actually bullied Higdon and refused to let his barely legal tactics to put him off..winning header after header. his blocks and sliding tackles were immense..first half he blocked a goal bound effort which rebounded to well player only for Lewis to make an even better tackle to clear again...second half when McPake lost his man and got in a tangle..there was Hanlon sliding through to back up his partner.

Not sure but can hardly remember Stack having a proper save to make even with all the play well had last 20 mins :confused:

one of the first questions to PF after game was along the lines of 'how good were your young CH's today?'

SouthamptonHibs
09-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Hanlon played well today he now needs to back it up with several good performances in a row. Defence looked good yesterday hail hail

Leith Green
09-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Hanlon played well today he now needs to back it up with several good performances in a row. Defence looked good yesterday hail hail

Yeah Hanlon has went from being consistently not so good to being inconsistent, which has been since McPake came in. The challenge for him now and next season is to improve further and perform well consistenly like today or against Killie at E.R earlier this season

I think he is benefitting significantly from playing alongside McPake & hope we can keep him to help Hanlon improve next season.

SouthamptonHibs
09-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Yeah Hanlon has went from being consistently not so good to being inconsistent, which has been since McPake came in. The challenge for him now and next season is to improve further and perform well consistenly like today or against Killie at E.R earlier this season

I think he is benefitting significantly from playing alongside McPake & hope we can keep him to help Hanlon improve next season.

McPake would be a great signing us in the summer Hanlon will benefit from playing with him week in week out. at the start of the year when hanlon played alongside o'hanlon both off them looked shocking.

John_the_angus_hibby
09-04-2012, 09:08 AM
We have to be more forgiving when we have a young player learning whilst in the 1st team. He was doing this- until recently- alongside poor players so his mistakes and learnings are exposed. We can now begin to see the value of learning your trade alongside a good player.

CHs make mistakes. Younger less experienced ones more so.

Paul will develop into an excellent CH.

Sent from another universe!

Littlest Hobo
09-04-2012, 12:41 PM

I'll make sure I wait for the final whistle next time then shall I ???? ,it's a forum, it's purpose is to vent your frustrations and give your opinions, get used to it or beat it. The laddie had put us into trouble with one of his lack lustre passes in which luckily enough they didn't manage to score from but hit the post. He then gave away a penalty.

I was frustrated and in the moment of frustration I vented my anger....good grief! :soapbox: :dummytit: :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2012, 12:45 PM
That was Hanlons best game for Hibs imo. He did the basics very well and thats all we want from our centre halves, plus there were no cock ups. :thumbsup:

Littlest Hobo
09-04-2012, 12:47 PM

Ooooooooooooh the same poster eh? What are you trying to acheive by posting this pish?

That was my opinion at the time, like most Hibees I'm pissed off with the team at the moment. The last thing I need is a stalker on HIBS.net quoting every little emotion that comes out of me at the time of posting.

Go and get yerself a life pal ffs:rolleyes:

Littlest Hobo
09-04-2012, 12:50 PM
That was Hanlons best game for Hibs imo. He did the basics very well and thats all we want from our centre halves, plus there were no cock ups. :thumbsup:

Agreed mate but consistency would be a great thing. Unfortunately Paul has his followers that can't see past one of our own that comes through the ranks.

For me he's still nowhere near good enough to be in our starting eleven. I'd like to see us bring in a couple of new centre halves next season.

Judas Iscariot
09-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Ooooooooooooh the same poster eh? What are you trying to acheive by posting this pish?

That was my opinion at the time, like most Hibees I'm pissed off with the team at the moment. The last thing I need is a stalker on HIBS.net quoting every little emotion that comes out of me at the time of posting.

How's it pish? It's what you posted pal, so in saying that it most probably is pish!!

I quite like stalking you, if quoting two posts of yours constitutes as stalking that is..

You're hissy fits/tantrums are funny, like a spoilt wee bairn that doesnae get his way then is all smiles 5 minutes later when he was then given the sweetie he wanted!

You're worse than a premenstrual bird wi sunburn :faf:

xx

HNA6
09-04-2012, 01:00 PM

How's it pish? It's what you posted pal, so in saying that it most probably is pish!!

I quite like stalking you, if quoting two posts of yours constitutes as stalking that is..

You're hissy fits/tantrums are funny, like a spoilt wee bairn that doesnae get his way then is all smiles 5 minutes later when he was then given the sweetie he wanted!

xxYou pair fancy taking your wee ding dong tae pm's ...:aok:

Littlest Hobo
09-04-2012, 06:50 PM

xx

:top marks:slipper::troll: Aye I suppose yer right mate, fits and tantrums would defo describe my love affair with the cabbage that's for certain. Doesn't that mean that my hearts in the right place though? And that I care with a passion.......I'll see you at Hampden :wink:

Littlest Hobo
09-04-2012, 06:56 PM
You pair fancy taking your wee ding dong tae pm's ...:aok:

No ding dong here mate, just friendly banter..........I think some supporters have just got to learn to respect OP opinions and views, even if some of us are a wee bit quick on the trigger at times venting our anger. Isn't that what this place is for after all?:aok:

Judas Iscariot
09-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Yep, it's definately better to vent on here rather than at games & towards players, as you said, was a bit friendly banter, see far worse in other posts that go unchallenged!

Anyway, glad you're going to the semi & hopefully we'll all have a brilliant day & a even better result at the end of the 90mins :aok:

:flag:

blackpoolhibs
10-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Agreed mate but consistency would be a great thing. Unfortunately Paul has his followers that can't see past one of our own that comes through the ranks.

For me he's still nowhere near good enough to be in our starting eleven. I'd like to see us bring in a couple of new centre halves next season.

My view on him has been stated before, like you i want someone more consitant. Yet on Sunday he did what we all want from him, the question is, can we afford to have central defenders who are prone to real lapses in form like i feel he is?

Personally if we sign McPake, i'd like another like him too, someone like McManus the old Celtic defender, who cant get in the Middlesbourgh side.

McPake has shown us there are players out there good enough, in fact better than what we have now, and the kind of player we need and should be signing. Thats not to say we should be ignoring our youth or home grown players, but they have to be good enough, and imo the Paul Hanlon who played on Sunday is, but the Paul Hanlon who's played most of this and other seasons is not.

Our spine has been poor for a long time, and needs to be strengthened right the way through. 4 good experienced pro's would be a start, keeper 2 central midfielders and another centre half would be my first signings, and they'd be players who'd be at the top end of our budget. Supplimented with what we have and other signings, it would give us a better ballance imo.