PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Dalglish

Sylar
23-03-2012, 01:11 PM
I can't understand the extent of respect that "King Kenny" commands within football circles.

Don't get me wrong, his record as a player and coach in his earlier days is unquestionably impressive, but the manner in which he deals with the media is deplorable.

He reminds me of an exaggerated version of Gordon Strachan, giving snippy, sarcastic and downright rude answers almost every time I see him.

I've no axe to grind, in terms of saying the above through bias or support to any Liverpool rivals, but ever since the Suarez saga, I've noticed more and more just how much of an ******** the guy is in front of a camera.

His latest interview on SSN, he was asked about Jamie Mackie's statement that Liverpool maybe looked tired after their midweek cup exploits - rather than give a response to the question, he decided to have a pop at Mackie and the fact that he spent most of the game on the bench, so wouldn't understand what being tired was.

I'm aware the press often ask stupid or deliberately combative questions to managers, but Dalglish always deals with them in a pretty reprehensible manner.

Hibbyradge
23-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Don't get me wrong, his record as a player and coach in his earlier days is unquestionably impressive, but the manner in which he deals with the media is deplorable.

Your priorities seem a bit confuddled!

givescotlandfreedom
23-03-2012, 01:20 PM
I agree, he doesn't come across very well in the media IMO. Something very Celtc about him still.

HibbyAndy
23-03-2012, 01:23 PM
KD For me is the biggesr ersehole in the game to date, There is not one straight forward question you can ask him and expect a simple answer back, He makes far to many stupid faces and replies with every other answer under the sun but the question he was posed.

Legend or not Kenny Dalgish is a complete and utter ersehole.With a massive massive chip on his shoulder.

Sir David Gray
23-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Not disputing his record within football but as far as his interviews go, the guy comes across as a complete numpty almost every time he opens his mouth.

The way he conducted himself throughout the whole Luis Suarez stuff was an embarrassment, not only for himself but to everyone connected with Liverpool FC.

The comparisons with Gordon Strachan are spot on, in my opinion, and I've thought this myself in the past.

Hibbyradge
23-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Not disputing his record within football but as far as his interviews go, the guy comes across as a complete numpty almost every time he opens his mouth.

The way he conducted himself throughout the whole Luis Suarez stuff was an embarrassment, not only for himself but to everyone connected with Liverpool FC.

The comparisons with Gordon Strachan are spot on, in my opinion, and I've thought this myself in the past.

I don't think he, or anyone connected with Liverpool were even slightly embarrassed.

Spike Mandela
23-03-2012, 01:33 PM
For me he was my first real footballing hero and was till the day he hung up his boots. A truly world class Scottish player.

Nowadays he comes across as a Carmudgeonly, cantankerous old git and was rather lacking in class during the whole Suarez affair, however one look at his goal v wales in 1977 and all is forgiven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXf3n1Mv0I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

lyonhibs
23-03-2012, 02:06 PM
For me he was my first real footballing hero and was till the day he hung up his boots. A truly world class Scottish player.

Nowadays he comes across as a Carmudgeonly, cantankerous old git and was rather lacking in class during the whole Suarez affair, however one look at his goal v wales in 1977 and all is forgiven.

2 comments on that video - great punch from Joe Jordan :greengrin and also, was anyone on here in the terracing behind the goals?? That looks like the most **** scary and rammed terracing I've ever clapped eyes on!!!

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2012, 02:09 PM
2 comments on that video - great punch from Joe Jordan :greengrin and also, was anyone on here in the terracing behind the goals?? That looks like the most **** scary and rammed terracing I've ever clapped eyes on!!!

I was at the other end in the kop, if you think that was scary you should have been there? Absolutely mental, i started around 3/4s of the way up when Kenny scored, but was around 5 feet from the front after. :greengrin

JimBHibees
23-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Wasnt at that game however was behind the goal when Davie Cooper scored the penalty against Wales at Ninian Park and it was nuts, must have moved about 30 yards or so, magic though. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
23-03-2012, 02:14 PM
I don't think he, or anyone connected with Liverpool were even slightly embarrassed.

I didn't say that they were but for most people who were looking at the situation from the outside, the way Dalglish conducted himself was highly embarrassing.

Pretty Boy
23-03-2012, 02:33 PM

That's probably the problem right there.

easty
23-03-2012, 03:07 PM

I dont think he's like Gordon Strachan. Dalgleish is moody and doesn't come accross all that well (to say the least) with the media, but I think that's because he is a football man with no desire to be in front of the press. Strachan, though, he's a welt, he actively seeks out the attention to give a funny wee quip, he thinks he's hillarious

Ozyhibby
23-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Who listens to post match interviews from managers anyway?
If your my age then all you really care about was what an amazing player dalglish was. If Scotland could only produce a player half as good again we would be doing well. Between 77-79 I would say he was the best player in the world.
Even better than that is I've seen him in a Hibs shirt.

johnrebus
23-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Who listens to post match interviews from managers anyway?
If your my age then all you really care about was what an amazing player dalglish was. If Scotland could only produce a player half as good again we would be doing well. Between 77-79 I would say he was the best player in the world.
Even better than that is I've seen him in a Hibs shirt.

Alan Sneddon's testimonial V Aston Villa?

Am sure when he was asked about his expenses for the game, he replied , 'just gie us a fish supper and a bottle of Irn Bru'.

:agree:

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2012, 03:19 PM
King Kenny is and always will be a legend in my mind, I was lucky enough to watch him live throughout his Liverpool career and there was no-one better. With regard to his comments to the press/media, I couldn't really give a toss how he answers their questions, he as far as I am concerned treats the media with the contempt they deserve in most cases and he refuses to be used as a puppet in their headline making.

I have made my feelings clear in previous threads on how disappointed I was with the way Liverpool and in particular KD handled the Suarez affair, this however will never taint the status in which I behold Kenny Dalglish. I would love Kenny to win the FA cup and then retire permanently at the end of the season having brought back some stability and a couple of cups to boot!

And I've seen him play at ER in a Hibs shirt :greengrin

Kato
23-03-2012, 04:05 PM
2 comments on that video - great punch from Joe Jordan :greengrin and also, was anyone on here in the terracing behind the goals??!

Yup. Got in for nowt after a group of spirited youngsters pushed a police horse sideways, produced a pair of bolt cutters and opened the gate up. Scary on there but not as scary as outside where the police where skelping anyone at random with their steel beknobbed batons. Great fun all in all.

Kato
23-03-2012, 04:07 PM
I couldn't really give a toss how he answers their questions, he as far as I am concerned treats the media with the contempt they deserve in most cases and he refuses to be used as a puppet in their headline making.

:aok:

ancient hibee
23-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Kenny Dalgleish was an excellent club player but he was too slow to ever be a world class international and because he played for Scotland he naturally had more poor international appearances than good ones.

ShanksSaidNo
23-03-2012, 04:49 PM
The short and long of it is - KD is not the sharpest tool in the shed. In many ways he resembles Yogi by tryin to come across clever and in doin so he makes an erse of himself. He's a decent bloke just doesn't conduct himself very well in front of the media.

WindyMiller
23-03-2012, 05:36 PM
I was at the other end in the kop, if you think that was scary you should have been there? Absolutely mental, i started around 3/4s of the way up when Kenny scored, but was around 5 feet from the front after. :greengrin

And me!

Marvellous night.

Hibernia&Alba
23-03-2012, 05:42 PM
The short and long of it is - KD is not the sharpest tool in the shed. In many ways he resembles Yogi by tryin to come across clever and in doin so he makes an erse of himself. He's a decent bloke just doesn't conduct himself very well in front of the media.

Excellent point here. Dalglish isn't the brightest and most articulate, nor would he win a personality contest. However, that could be said of many ex-footballers. Clearly he is uncomfortable with the media aspect of the game. He was a great player, his managerial record is hit and miss, but he will always be a legend to the Liverpool fans, and rightly so. But any manager who spends £75 million on Carroll, Henderson and Downing has some serious explaining to do.

KingFranck
23-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Wasnt at that game however was behind the goal when Davie Cooper scored the penalty against Wales at Ninian Park and it was nuts, must have moved about 30 yards or so, magic though. :greengrin

I was at that game too one of the best nights until the sad news about Jock Stein which we didn't hear about until we got back to our hotel in ........Chepstow ! So many Scotland fans travelled we had to stay in England!

Iggy Pope
23-03-2012, 05:45 PM
King Kenny is and always will be a legend in my mind, I was lucky enough to watch him live throughout his Liverpool career and there was no-one better. With regard to his comments to the press/media, I couldn't really give a toss how he answers their questions, he as far as I am concerned treats the media with the contempt they deserve in most cases and he refuses to be used as a puppet in their headline making.
I have made my feelings clear in previous threads on how disappointed I was with the way Liverpool and in particular KD handled the Suarez affair, this however will never taint the status in which I behold Kenny Dalglish. I would love Kenny to win the FA cup and then retire permanently at the end of the season having brought back some stability and a couple of cups to boot!

And I've seen him play at ER in a Hibs shirt :greengrin

Agree. Not a Liverpool fan by any means but I have long admired the stance Dalglish takes with these buffoons. Ferguson and Redknapp can be similarly belligerent (today for example) and are lauded for it.

I was one of the few neutral observes that approved of him taking that Celtic press conference to Bairds Bar in the Gallowgate.

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Kenny Dalgleish was an excellent club player but he was too slow to ever be a world class international and because he played for Scotland he naturally had more poor international appearances than good ones.

:confused: You didn't need lightening pace to be world class in Kenny's era! Speed of thought, skill and technique more than made up for it, just ask Rushie who benefitted from the Kings class.

NAE NOOKIE
23-03-2012, 07:18 PM
KD was a brilliant football player. Have a look at his haul of medals, trophies and awards. Its mind boggling !

But I have always thought that he was a numpty off the park.

As for his conduct during the Suarez affair it was reprehensible. I have never been a fan of Liverpool, but the one thing you could always say about them as a cub was that on and off the park they had class, class, class in spades.

Their conduct as a club during that affair did a huge amount of damage to that reputation.

Aubenas
23-03-2012, 07:19 PM
When Dalglish joined Liverpool from Celtic, my pal was a cub reporter at the Liverpool Echo. The Sports Ed sent him out in a taxi to give Kenny a hurl round the sights and interview him about his move.
'How you feel about joining Liverpool Kenny?'
'Delighted'
'Must be a blow leaving Celtic though, eh?'
'Sad.'
'How does Marina feel about moving down here and leaving her family?'
'Sad, but delighted.'

This went on for the best part of three hours.
When my pal went back to the office with 'Sad' and 'Delighted' he got a right bo*****ing from the Editor.
Next day the Editor called him in:
'I'm sorry I shouted at you. I sent Emlyn, Hansen and Tommy Smith out with him to the clubs last night - and they got even less than you!"

haagsehibby
23-03-2012, 08:19 PM
I was at that game too one of the best nights until the sad news about Jock Stein which we didn't hear about until we got back to our hotel in ........Chepstow ! So many Scotland fans travelled we had to stay in England!

Chepstow is in Wales !!

TornadoHibby
23-03-2012, 08:45 PM
KD For me is the biggesr ersehole in the game to date, There is not one straight forward question you can ask him and expect a simple answer back, He makes far to many stupid faces and replies with every other answer under the sun but the question he was posed.

Legend or not Kenny Dalgish is a complete and utter ersehole.With a massive massive chip on his shoulder.

Don't think he's as much of a knob as Mancini though! :confused:

Allowing Tevez to play again after the refusal to play for the team, the several month long holiday in Argentina etc, was possibly the biggest capitulation in the history of any EPL manager ever! How Mancini can face his clubs fans after the position he set out for Tevez never playing for City ever again beggars belief! :rolleyes:

Hibs7
23-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Met him personally and he is a tosser, no time for the ordinary fan. Gives the image he is shy and very personal...... not when he is in the company of other top sportsmen he isn't.

mca
23-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Met him personally and he is a tosser, no time for the ordinary fan. Gives the image he is shy and very personal...... not when he is in the company of other top sportsmen he isn't.

When i was a lad !! - kenny was my total hero as a football player !!!

even made my folks buy me a pair of footy boots in 1987 they were limited edition - because kenny had won 100 caps or something ??? cany mind noo.. auld age..

but the guy is a complete Archiehole to talk or converse with/too !!!!! :wink:

Sammy7nil
23-03-2012, 09:27 PM

I was 14 had a ticket for the Kop my dad swapped them at face valuee for 2 centre stand tickets. Sat next to Welsh fans no bother at all great night

Our car was stolen by a 16 yr old laddie he was stopped by the police because he was so wee.
Got the car back at 2am drove up the road and I went to school happy days

DMR1875
23-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Alan Sneddon's testimonial V Aston Villa?

Am sure when he was asked about his expenses for the game, he replied , 'just gie us a fish supper and a bottle of Irn Bru'.

:agree:

Hi mate. It was a black pudding supper and a bottle of Globe red cola.

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2012, 09:41 PM

Plenty of time for me and plenty of other folk in my company at the time, maybe he has the same opinion of you as you have of him????

TornadoHibby
23-03-2012, 10:02 PM

I met KD (and Jock Stein) at East End Park after his last game for Celtc (v Dunfermline :wink:) before he left for Liverpool and tbh he was pretty personable and decent to me bearing in mind that the only reason I was in his company was because my brother played for the Pars then! :agree:

Based on that nothing bad to say about him on a personal level but understand that he is not doing himself any favours with the ordinary guy with his recent press comments and interviews! :confused:

Jock Stein on the other hand had such a presence I was almost 'starstruck' by him bearing in mind that I was quite young in those days! :greengrin

Isn't Sport Relief doing great again this year! :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
23-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Isn't amazing how many wa*kers and tossers and clowns get to prominent positions in football?

And the fans blindly follow...

lucky
KD was the best Scottish player ever but when he defended the racist. He was finished with me. He comes across as a knob on tv. No class. Sad man who has forgot where he is from.

Houchy
I can't understand the extent of respect that "King Kenny" commands within football circles.

He reminds me of an exaggerated version of Gordon Strachan, giving snippy, sarcastic and downright rude answers almost every time I see him.

I've no axe to grind, in terms of saying the above through bias or support to any Liverpool rivals, but ever since the Suarez saga, I've noticed more and more just how much of an ******** the guy is in front of a camera.

His latest interview on SSN, he was asked about Jamie Mackie's statement that Liverpool maybe looked tired after their midweek cup exploits - rather than give a response to the question, he decided to have a pop at Mackie and the fact that he spent most of the game on the bench, so wouldn't understand what being tired was.

I'm aware the press often ask stupid or deliberately combative questions to managers, but Dalglish always deals with them in a pretty reprehensible manner.

I've said exactly the same over recent weeks:agree:

Kato
23-03-2012, 10:32 PM

It was a White Pudding Supper and a bottle of American Cream Soda.

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2012, 10:33 PM

It was neither.

Kato
23-03-2012, 10:35 PM
It was neither.

But that's what he said it was.

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Fish supper

Mibbes Aye
23-03-2012, 11:06 PM
I remember an interview with Kenny Dalglish, c.1981 in the Shoot! or Match! annual and he revealed his abiding fondness for American Cream Soda, which leads me to suspect that this is the true answer.

Can't speak to the question of which supper though.

Think it's important we clear it up however :agree:

Kato
23-03-2012, 11:11 PM
I remember an interview with Kenny Dalglish, c.1981 in the Shoot! or Match! annual and he revealed his abiding fondness for American Cream Soda, which leads me to suspect that this is the true answer.

Can't speak to the question of which supper though.

Think it's important we clear it up however :agree:

I'm taking this evidence of me being correct and it was also a white pudding supper, from the chippy opposite the clan tavern on albert street - plenty salt and vinegar - nae sauce, weegie bassa.:cb

The Harp Awakes
23-03-2012, 11:56 PM

Totally agree with your point.

I am old enough to remember Dalgleish's performances for Scotland. He certainly played well in some games and scored some memorable goals. However in the majority of games he played for the national team he was poor or ordinary.

In recent times as a Manager, his handling of the Suarez situation was embarrassing from start to finish. I can see Liverpool deteriorating under his tenure and I think it would be best for all of a Liverpool persuasion, for him to stand down at the end of the season having had reasonable success in bringing back a trophy to Anfield.

IWasThere2016
24-03-2012, 12:54 AM

It was a white pudding supper and American Cream Soda

Peevemor
24-03-2012, 06:34 AM
It was neither.

Jumbo haggis supper and a bottle of Vimto? :dunno:

IWasThere2016
24-03-2012, 07:17 AM

Correct.

I met KD in London City Airport years ago, and he was an ignorant tosser. Also met Frankie Dettori who gave me his autograph, chatted, joked etc he was a total gent and hero.

son of haggart
24-03-2012, 07:29 AM

Yes - that's where I was.

It was one of the scariest experiences ever.

When we got in there had been some sort of problem at the gates and there were already more people than it could take. We could only get up to asbout five feet below the and behind the terracing. However after about ten minutes the sheer weight of numbers pressing us from behind pushed us 'over the top'.

I had a prized biker leather jacket on. It gradually worked its way down my back and my arms were pressed to my sides until finally it came off. I could feel it underfoot but no way could I get down to get it back (I would have been trampled to death) so I lost it forwever.

My chest was shoved in tight at certain points.

Yopu will notice when Jordans goal goes in there are few hands raised - most of us had them pinned to our sides to protect our chests from being squeezed in..

One of my mates had brought one of those leather wine sac thingys back from Spain. He had it on a string down his inside leg so we could have a bevvy during the game but he couldn't get it out!

Oh and on topic - dalgleish great player total knob afterwards

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-03-2012, 07:36 AM

What a 2nd goal, what a support, still gives me the shivers, but yes, he's an erse...:wink:

Hibs7
24-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Plenty of time for me and plenty of other folk in my company at the time, maybe he has the same opinion of you as you have of him????

Then again maybe he is nice to scousers so that his wheels stay on his car. You can only go by what you saw and I have done the same without an insult,
Too many people of the same opinion as me.!!

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2012, 09:37 AM

Hillsboro had a big effect on Kenny Dalglish. Maybe his disrespect for the media stems from that time.

ancient hibee
24-03-2012, 09:51 AM
:confused: You didn't need lightening pace to be world class in Kenny's era! Speed of thought, skill and technique more than made up for it, just ask Rushie who benefitted from the Kings class.

As I said an excellent club player.

Scouse Hibee
24-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Then again maybe he is nice to scousers so that his wheels stay on his car. You can only go by what you saw and I have done the same without an insult,
Too many people of the same opinion as me.!!

Thousands with the same opinion as me, go figure eh! Also you forgot to mention car radios, hub caps, shell suits, moustaches and perms :rolleyes:

Kato
24-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Then again maybe he is nice to scousers so that his wheels stay on his car.

..and I suppose black people have rhythm, "micks" are thick and scots are stingy....:rolleyes:

joe breezy
24-03-2012, 11:23 AM

Exactly they are completely deluded

Crab apple
24-03-2012, 12:39 PM
When i was a lad !! - kenny was my total hero as a football player !!!

even made my folks buy me a pair of footy boots in 1987 they were limited edition - because kenny had won 100 caps or something ??? cany mind noo.. auld age..

but the guy is a complete Archiehole to talk or converse with/too !!!!! :wink:

When I was 9 years old we were staying in a hotel where the liverpool team were based before playing against Ipswich in an important league game. Must have been about 1977 or 78. I went round and got autographs from all the players - Clemence, Thompson etc. All really plesant. Given I was a fellow Scot I was shocked that the only one who refused was King Kenny. Just mumbled 'I'm too busy' Result one unhappy 9 year old who has since that day thought KD was a complete tosser.

Hibs7
24-03-2012, 01:33 PM
..and I suppose black people have rhythm, "micks" are thick and scots are stingy....:rolleyes:

This place is getting sad, do you not recognise humour when it hits you in the eyes.
And that goes for you too, Scouse Hibee

Dashing Bob S
24-03-2012, 02:20 PM

A tiresome erse, would be my charitable assessment. I thought he was just another benign, if mediocre football manager, loyal to his club. But he crossed the line with his behavior over the Suarez issue, and that suddenly puts all his dour personal characteristics you mention above into a less flattering light. If Liverpool aspire to be anything more than a mid table club they'll ditch this grumpy old racist apologist loser.

Scouse Hibee
24-03-2012, 09:59 PM
This place is getting sad, do you not recognise humour when it hits you in the eyes.

Behave yourself, it's you that has failed to recognise the humour!!!

Kato
24-03-2012, 10:58 PM

Just pulling your chain mate, cos your patter is really, really poor. If you think it's funny to call scousers whatever go ahead. But it fails on originality, timing and anything else you care to mention. You'll never make The Fringe - stick to the day job.:cb:cb