PDA

View Full Version : Would a salary/wage cap system work?

heavy_g
22-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Greetings everyone. I was just wondering, with the economy being as it is and given the financial state of some clubs, would this not be a good time for the SPL to change to a Salary Cap (or Wage Cap if you will) system similar to those we have here in North America for professional sports leagues?
For example, the National Hockey League here has a $64.3 million annual cap limit that teams cannot exceed. Also, to promote parody within the league, each team is required to spend no less than $43.3 million on players wages. (These are US dollars)
I find it forces teams to be fiscally responsible and manage the player personnel accordingly. It also makes for a much more competitive and balanced league.
My question is, would this type of system work in the SPL? Would it help make the league stronger? I believe it would.
Check here for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_cap

:flag:

cwilliamson85
22-02-2012, 04:22 PM
What happens if a team cannot make teh minimum salary payments but still have a squad willing to play for that club?

smack
22-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Don't think so. The teams that could afford to exceed the cap would just find ways around it

erskine-hibby
22-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Greetings everyone. I was just wondering, with the economy being as it is and given the financial state of some clubs, would this not be a good time for the SPL to change to a Salary Cap (or Wage Cap if you will) system similar to those we have here in North America for professional sports leagues?
For example, the National Hockey League here has a $64.3 million annual cap limit that teams cannot exceed. Also, to promote parody within the league, each team is required to spend no less than $43.3 million on players wages. (These are US dollars)
I find it forces teams to be fiscally responsible and manage the player personnel accordingly. It also makes for a much more competitive and balanced league.
My question is, would this type of system work in the SPL? Would it help make the league stronger? I believe it would.

It could work easily, but would it work ,or should I say would the OF allow it to work??

I certainly would be all for it because then you would have a much more level playing field... and therein lies the problem for the OF.

Hibee87
22-02-2012, 04:28 PM
For anythign to work it would need to be done europe wide, this would elimate teams being able to have 11 word class players i.e barca on there books unless they were willing to be paid penuts to what they could earn. If you imagine a team only being able to afford 2-3 world class players and the rest good but not amazing it would certainly make every league more competaive. but will never ever happen sadly

CallumLaidlaw
22-02-2012, 04:30 PM
I would want a £5k a week salary, with any bonuses (appearance, goal, clean sheet, assist, win) capped at 20% of wage and a maximum signing on fee in place too. I don't think media rights are something we need to worry about in the spl. You could maybe have 2 players that can break that structure, like the MLS does.
Ok loopholes may be found, but I'd like to see the structure in place to start with. Oh, and no gifting. Houses, cars, etc

Sylar
22-02-2012, 04:32 PM

The key difference between our professional sporting leagues and the likes of the SPL are the absence of a farm type system, which the NHL/NFL and NBA benefit from, in the conveyor belt of young student athletes and the draft setup.

This is where I see there being the biggest issue. Also, what criteria would determine the cap?

It doesn't matter though, as this would count as a major league reformatting and would require an 11-1 vote - regardless to their current plight, Rangers and indeed Celtic would be unlikely to vote for this, as it would severely threaten their dominance.

Edit: I was confusing the legality issue with a discussion which ran in parallel with salary caps, discussing the limitation of foreign players.

CallumLaidlaw
22-02-2012, 04:32 PM
It could work easily, but would it work ,or should I say would the OF allow it to work??

I certainly would be all for it because then you would have a much more level playing field... and therein lies the problem for the OF.

Which is why, if rangers to liquidise and start again, we need to take the chance to get rid of the 11/1 rule for voting

brydekirk
22-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Would'nt work. END OFF. FACT.

heavy_g
22-02-2012, 04:41 PM
There are criticisms of the cap system, for sure! In Major League Baseball they have a 'soft' cap which basically means if you go over the cap limit you must pay a "luxury tax". Good for the rich clubs only.
I'm not sure where that money goes to really. It should be divided up among the other clubs.
A 'hard' cap system is the only way to go, in my opinion. You simply can't go over the agreed upon limit.
Yes, the OF would never go for it. Although one of them possibly would not have a choice!

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-02-2012, 04:49 PM
The EU would probably be against it.

GreenCastle
22-02-2012, 04:49 PM
I am all for a salary cap to level the playing field BUT one major reason I don't think it would work would be Europe.

Unless the whole of Europe agree then playing the the Europa League and Champions League your chances would be severely hindered.

I do think something has to be done to make the league more competitive though..hopefully Rangers will suffer and that is a start so another club can try and at least get 2nd.

Haymaker
22-02-2012, 05:11 PM
The EU would probably be against it.

Not sure why, if it is a limit on spending rather than individual earnings?

Andy74
22-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Im all for promoting parody within the league, although it is certainly a joke already. :greengrin

Biggie
22-02-2012, 05:48 PM
No danger, the old firm bitch about the lack of competition in the SPl, but the fact of the matter is, they couldn't handle competition....Their crowds would disappear if they went a season or two without winning something....so the thought of everybody being equal would stop this in its tracks.

RyeSloan
22-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Bundesliga Model (http://www.trulyreds.com/20100330/bundesliga-model-may-show-the-way-ahead/)

Think the model to be followed is quite clear in terms of limiting club debt and allowing competition to be the main focus...with 5 different winners in the last 10 seasons or so, full stadiums, affordable tickets, community involvement, support from local business the Germans seem to have it pretty much sorted.

OK the SPL will never compete in terms of size but no reason why we couldn't borrow the lessons learned.

Well there is, no one with power within the Scottish game actually wants to change anything...they are happy to protect themselves and the OF domination. Only Rangers going t*ts has brought any serious consideration to the fore and even then it's more on how their dominant position can be maintained rather than how to use this as a catalyst for fair and balanced competition going forward.

HiBremian
22-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Bundesliga Model (http://www.trulyreds.com/20100330/bundesliga-model-may-show-the-way-ahead/)

Think the model to be followed is quite clear in terms of limiting club debt and allowing competition to be the main focus...with 5 different winners in the last 10 seasons or so, full stadiums, affordable tickets, community involvement, support from local business the Germans seem to have it pretty much sorted.

OK the SPL will never compete in terms of size but no reason why we couldn't borrow the lessons learned.

Well there is, no one with power within the Scottish game actually wants to change anything...they are happy to protect themselves and the OF domination. Only Rangers going t*ts has brought any serious consideration to the fore and even then it's more on how their dominant position can be maintained rather than how to use this as a catalyst for fair and balanced competition going forward.

Nah, the EU would probably be against it. :duck:

NAE NOOKIE
22-02-2012, 06:40 PM

It works elsewhere.

Do you mean wouldnt work .... or wouldnt be allowed to work?

FifeeHibee
22-02-2012, 06:55 PM
We should penalise clubs who have been cheats in 'paying' more than they can afford. Limit them to say £1,000 a week per player. I can think of two such clubs off the top of my head- one hun one and one wee hun one! :greengrin

pentlando
22-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Yes, as a % of the previous seasons turnover. Bonuses limited to 10% of that total. Keeps each club in line with their earnings. A points deduction relative to how much they exceed the total percentage should work as an incentive against 'cheating'. Easy.

tony
22-02-2012, 07:16 PM
I think its been pointed out by many that a cap in isolation from other countries isnt going to work, and it would be difficult to see it happen being part of the EU. However, a situation where each club has to show that it cannot spend beyond its means would be a start. Its bad enough being beaten by the huns normally, but when they are paying players beyond their means it becomes indefensible, a bit like our back five on Sunday. That way the big clubs remain bigger but the gaps should actually be smaller.

tony
22-02-2012, 07:18 PM

:top marks

I'd add most owners of clubs outwith the OF as being happy with the status quo.

Easter Road X1
22-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Who is the highest paid player at Easter Road and who is it????

Eyrie
22-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Yes, as a % of the previous seasons turnover. Bonuses limited to 10% of that total. Keeps each club in line with their earnings. A points deduction relative to how much they exceed the total percentage should work as an incentive against 'cheating'. Easy.
Works for me.

Hibs Class
22-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Who is the highest paid player at Easter Road and who is it????

:confused:

Gala Foxes
22-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Why not give our players a basic with a debit-back for goals lost - 9 in 2 games ?

Ozyhibby
22-02-2012, 10:35 PM
A few folks have mentioned the EU as being against a salary cap. This is not true and the EU have given special dispensation for sports competitions to operate salary caps.
There are caps operating perfectly legally in rugby league and rugby union already.

Ozyhibby
22-02-2012, 10:40 PM
For anythign to work it would need to be done europe wide, this would elimate teams being able to have 11 word class players i.e barca on there books unless they were willing to be paid penuts to what they could earn. If you imagine a team only being able to afford 2-3 world class players and the rest good but not amazing it would certainly make every league more competaive. but will never ever happen sadly

Why would it need to be Europe wide? They have salary controls in Germany that don't exist anywhere else in Europe.
And to be fair to Barca they started their match at the weekend with 9 players from their own academy.
We can't even manage that at Hibs.

Ozyhibby
22-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Despite the fact that it operates effectively all over the world in lots of different sports including football?