PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago today....

Billy Whizz
21-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Our beloved Franck Sauzee was sacked. Anyone remember where they were when they heard the news!

.Sean.
21-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Found out when I got home fronm school and I remember crying my eyes out!

easty
21-02-2012, 08:47 AM
I was at work at RBS, they sacked me about 6 months later so I felt his pain...:wink:

steakbake
21-02-2012, 08:58 AM
I was in a book depository in Lochend, next to the grassy knoll.

Wilson
21-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Probably on here calling for his head.

calumhibee1
21-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Got home from school and found out. Was devastated to hear that my first and last footballing hero was not going to be at our club anymore.

Wyatt.S.Earp
21-02-2012, 09:34 AM
have we moved on since then.............nope still the same rubbish being played ..still the same prospects...did those in high places learn anything......NO..!!

Phil D. Rolls
21-02-2012, 09:49 AM
I was in a book depository in Lochend, next to the grassy knoll.

So was I!

iwasthere1972
21-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Our beloved Franck Sauzee was sacked. Anyone remember where they were when they heard the news!

Shovelling two feet of snow off our three quarters of a mile path in order to get out.

hibee_girl
21-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I was in Cyprus on holiday and found out from my Grandad who broke the news to me in a text! Didn't believe him so had to phone him to find out what was going on!

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2012, 01:09 PM
At home, i was devastated, then angry.

When you think how long they have given some of the clowns we've had masquerading as managers recently, it still makes my blood boil. :grr:

Gatecrasher
21-02-2012, 01:31 PM
i would have loved to see hime succeed however this (http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/manager_games.php?id=26&page=1) IMO says it all

Makaveli
21-02-2012, 01:44 PM
i would have loved to see hime succeed however this (http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/manager_games.php?id=26&page=1) IMO says it all

It hardly says anything. He came in at a time when McLeish had deserted us and left an unbalanced, overpaid squad. Sauzée was the easy option for the board at the time and to bring him under such circumstances then not even give him a close season to sort things out still sickens me.

69 days in the middle of a season. If we'd lost every game it still would have been too early.

Alan Gordon put it better than I could:
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/fans_condemn_disgraceful_treatment_of_sauzee_1_604 100 (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/fans_condemn_disgraceful_treatment_of_sauzee_1_604 100)

BEEJ
21-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Quite a good record by recent standards. :hide:

I remember dragging my daughter to the cup game down in Stranraer - a dreary 0-0 draw. And then the two of us attending that wretched cup semi against Ayr at Hampden. Dreadful night.

As for ten years ago today - at work, informed by text, checked internet in disbelief, grieved for a week or more. :greengrin

Makaveli
21-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Quite a good record by recent standards. :hide:

I remember dragging my daughter to the cup game down in Stranraer - a dreary 0-0 draw. And then the two of us attending that wretched cup semi against Ayr at Hampden. Dreadful night.

As for ten years ago today - at work, informed by text, checked internet in disbelief, grieved for a week or more. :greengrin

You're actually not far wrong...

Franck got 5 points from 11 games.

Fenlon has 5 points from 10 games.

Steve20
21-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Is Fenlon's record that much better?

BroxburnHibee
21-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Give it a rest guys eh?

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2012, 02:48 PM
I've tried!!!! No more name calling eh BH.

Better not, just been warned.:rolleyes:

Gatecrasher
21-02-2012, 03:24 PM
It hardly says anything. He came in at a time when McLeish had deserted us and left an unbalanced, overpaid squad. Sauzée was the easy option for the board at the time and to bring him under such circumstances then not even give him a close season to sort things out still sickens me.

69 days in the middle of a season. If we'd lost every game it still would have been too early.

Alan Gordon put it better than I could:
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/fans_condemn_disgraceful_treatment_of_sauzee_1_604 100 (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/fans_condemn_disgraceful_treatment_of_sauzee_1_604 100)
He had a bigger budget and a better squad than fenlon and only just match him, I personally don't care about the circumstances in which he was brought in all I know is that he wasn't improving things,

hibsbollah
21-02-2012, 04:00 PM
'Disgrace' is a much over-used word in football. Losing five nil at home to Celtc, for example, is not a disgrace (despite many hysterical posts to the contrary).

Sacking our modern day hero and a genuine legend after 69 days, however, was. The only time i considered turning my back on the club.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Was no one in the changing room in the club shop when they heard?

ballengeich
21-02-2012, 04:50 PM
He had no management experience and no coaching qualifications so the board should not have appointed him. I'd have been delighted to see him given a coaching role at the club to start his management career, but making him manager was imo doomed to failure as people need to serve an apprenticeship before taking control of a club at Hibs' level.

HibbyAndy
21-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Cant for the life of me remember where i was when Sauzee got sacked, But i do remember being absolute devastated upon hearing the great man had been sacked.

He really didnt get anytime to turn it around. Only one Sauzee.

Famous5forever
21-02-2012, 05:28 PM
A Sad day in our clubs History

Makaveli
21-02-2012, 05:53 PM
He had a bigger budget and a better squad than fenlon and only just match him, I personally don't care about the circumstances in which he was brought in all I know is that he wasn't improving things,

Fine, so only judge/compare them by pure statistics. Both began with worse runs than their predecessors ended with. Their fixtures were pretty similar - both had the OF at home - but Sauzée's derby was away and we got a point. If we lose tomorrow (I expect a win though... 19/5 looks nice) he won't have "just matched" Fenlon's early record but beaten it. I don't expect Fenlon to be sacked on Thursday if that's the case.

I really like Fenlon and know he'll do well. To call for his head at this stage, even when relegation looms closer than it has since '98, would be insane. For me this just highlights how shoddily the board treated Franck.

Pretty Boy
21-02-2012, 05:53 PM
I wad at a bus stop when a guy I vaguely knew because he sat near me at ER came up and told me. Phoned about 3 people hoping it wasn't true.

It still angers me that there were a few members of that squad who barely tried a leg under Sauzee for whatever reason.

He deserved far better treatment from the club and its little wonder he wants nothing to do with us. The board made a total knee jerk reaction despite St Johnstone still being quite a fair bit behind us. For all his faults I've always thought it says a lot for Rod Petrie that he was the solitary figure in the board room who wanted to stand by Sauzee.

easty
21-02-2012, 06:33 PM
He deserved far better treatment from the club and its little wonder he wants nothing to do with us.

Exactly that.:agree:

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Exactly that.:agree:

Sad to say but i also agree with that. :embarrass

Pretty Boy
21-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Am I right in thinking it was Sauzee who gave Derek Riordan his debut?

HibbyAndy
21-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Am I right in thinking it was Sauzee who gave Derek Riordan his debut?

At Tynie yeah. Pretty sure of it..the 1-1 game where John Oneil scored at the hibs end in the last minute.

Onceinawhile
21-02-2012, 07:11 PM
At Tynie yeah. Pretty sure of it..the 1-1 game where John Oneil scored at the hibs end in the last minute.

Derek townsley assist. If I remember correctly.
:aok:

The problem with Frank being manager was we lost our best player and our captain.

7 Hills
21-02-2012, 07:24 PM

The problem with Frank being manager was we lost our best player and our captain.

Nail on head. His biggest mistake was retiring his best player.

HibbyAndy
21-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Spot on:agree:

By the way,,Just after we recovered from celebrating Oneil's goal ( And we went radge BTW!!)....Townsley found himself one on one deep into injury time but put it wide:boo hoo:..If that went in i firmly believe the stand in the hibs end would have blew away!!...Had a chance to do what these hearts c unts do to us time and time again, And thats get played off the park and still manage to come away with 3 points.

That goal tho by Oneil ensured Sauzee has never lost a derby as player or manager!...A fact Hearts fans simply cannot get there head around.

Pretty Boy
21-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Spot on:agree:

By the way,,Just after we recovered from celebrating Oneil's goal ( And we went radge BTW!!)....Townsley found himself one on one deep into injury time but put it wide:boo hoo:..If that went in i firmly believe the stand in the hibs end would have blew away!!...Had a chance to do what these hearts c unts do to us time and time again, And thats get played off the park and still manage to come away with 3 points.

That goal tho by Oneil ensured Sauzee has never lost a derby as player or manager!...A fact Hearts fans simply cannot get there head around.

I remember the celebrations when that went in, absolute bedlam.

I remeber a Hearts fan walking past me and, without a hint of irony, comment that we celebrated a late equaliser like we had won the league. A bizarre comment considering how many lucky late equalisers they celebrated during the 22 draws in a row period.

HibbyAndy
21-02-2012, 07:42 PM
I remember the celebrations when that went in, absolute bedlam.

I remeber a Hearts fan walking past me and, without a hint of irony, comment that we celebrated a late equaliser like we had won the league. A bizarre comment considering how many lucky late equalisers they celebrated during the 22 draws in a row period.

Spot on:agree: I firmly believe hearts are the luckiest team in the world when it comes to derby games, These morons time and time again carry so much luck its outrageous.

That guy has a cheek BTW, In the days when we had Mixu , Russell , Sauzee etc Hearts greeted a draw from Easter road as if they had won the world cup the lottery pumping cheryl cole all rolled into one!...Full time at easter rd that ended in a draw was greeted by mass hearts fans going ballistic, Any Jambo that says different is a lying barsteward.

HibbyAndy
21-02-2012, 08:10 PM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426968_367472889938903_100000285854886_1393084_160 8990586_n.jpg

SteveHFC
21-02-2012, 08:13 PM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/426968_367472889938903_100000285854886_1393084_160 8990586_n.jpg

Lol

basehibby
21-02-2012, 08:26 PM
He had no management experience and no coaching qualifications so the board should not have appointed him. I'd have been delighted to see him given a coaching role at the club to start his management career, but making him manager was imo doomed to failure as people need to serve an apprenticeship before taking control of a club at Hibs' level.

:agree: Agreed - it was a bit too much to expect for Franck to just take to the management game like a fish to water. HOWEVER, he had no shortage of support from the fans and I can only remember a feeling of despair and devastation upon hearing he'd been given the boot - I was in Sydney at the time but no amount of sunshine or beach babes could have raised my mood - it was a sad sad day for all Hibees.

We'll never know if he would have really cut it as a manager but a dream died that day. I still think the board were too trigger happy on that occasion - I think he would have garnered the necessary points to stay up and we would then have seen the true cut of his managerial jib with a close season and summer transfer window behind him. Alex McLeish managed to bring some good players to Hibs partly on the strength of his international reputation - that is one strength that I'm sure Franck would have had no trouble emulating.

smurf
21-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Thing that sticks in my throat when folk defend his shocking sacking is "Look at his record...". And yes it was shocking but what did he inherit?

GJP was heading for the sack at ER. The dressing room was all over the place. Results had been very poor all calendar year 2001 pretty much.

Dinkydoo
21-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I was in my living room watching Power Rangers and started crying at the news and vowed that I was going to support a team that always won from then on - I think it was Celtic who I claimed that I'd begin supporting at the time. I still got my parents to buy me a Season Ticket for the following season......:greengrin:

fatbloke
21-02-2012, 10:27 PM

Universal Studios Orlando.

edinburghhibee
22-02-2012, 12:16 AM
I was at work when I heard and was gutted. I had been to the cup games and we were shocking but to sack such a wonderful man and player the way we did was disgusting.

Hopefully someone who he still speaks to points him towards this thread and he realises exacly what the supporters think about him.

The only Hibs legend of my time watching hibs and he will never be forgotten for what he did here.

Thanks for the memories Sir Frank Sauzee your sorely missed at ER.

:not worth:not worth:flag::not worth:not worth