PDA

View Full Version : Davis cup tennis

Twiglet
10-02-2012, 01:17 PM
GB take on the Slovak Republis at Braehead this weekend. Murray's out injured so 1st up is Dan Evans then James Ward plays the other singles match.
I'm in Glasgow today for the singles matches and I'm hoping that I'll see Britain get off to a winning start. Will try and post updates between points of how things are going. :)

Twiglet
10-02-2012, 03:02 PM
GB take the 1st set 6-3. some good shots from both players. Evans had us a bit nervy in the last game with SR on advantage but managed to pull back to win the game and the set.

Twiglet
10-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Don't know if anyone's following this thread just now, but GB have taken the 2nd set 7-5.
Lots of faults from both and lots of breaks of serve.
Evans just broken in 1st game of 3rd.

Twiglet
10-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Wooo! Britain win in 3 sets! The bloke from Eurosport got booed when interviewing Evans when he said "you didn't expect to win that did you?".

Sir David Gray
10-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Wooo! Britain win in 3 sets! The bloke from Eurosport got booed when interviewing Evans when he said "you didn't expect to win that did you?".

Didn't watch this as I was working but I think that's a fair question.

Dan Evans is ranked 276th in the world right now and has never won a match at the top level in the game before today.

Lukas Lacko, on the other hand, is ranked more than 200 places above Evans and only a few weeks ago, he reached the 3rd round at the Australian Open.

This was a massive victory for Dan Evans today and could be a massive springboard for the rest of his career.

Unfortunately, James Ward has lost the opening set to Martin Klizan.

On paper, this should be relatively close as there is only 38 places seperating the two of them.

Twiglet
10-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Didn't watch this as I was working but I think that's a fair question.

Dan Evans is ranked 276th in the world right now and has never won a match at the top level in the game before today.

Lukas Lacko, on the other hand, is ranked more than 200 places above Evans and only a few weeks ago, he reached the 3rd round at the Australian Open.

This was a massive victory for Dan Evans today and could be a massive springboard for the rest of his career.

Unfortunately, James Ward has lost the opening set to Martin Klizan.

On paper, this should be relatively close as there is only 38 places seperating the two of them.

Tbh i thought it was a fair question too, it was people around me that didn't like it. Evans laughed and i think he thought it was a fair question too from his reaction. The interviewer was pretty blunt with the way he asked it so maybe it wasn't the best way to ask in front of a crowd who just watched him win in straight sets.

Ward just won the 2nd set. Don't think i'll get to see all the match as i need to get the train back to Edinburgh.
Annoying thing about this match is how much of it is about the serve and there are less rallies. There were more in the 2nd, but too many aces for my liking.

Sir David Gray
10-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Tbh i thought it was a fair question too, it was people around me that didn't like it. Evans laughed and i think he thought it was a fair question too from his reaction. The interviewer was pretty blunt with the way he asked it so maybe it wasn't the best way to ask in front of a crowd who just watched him win in straight sets.

Ward just won the 2nd set. Don't think i'll get to see all the match as i need to get the train back to Edinburgh.
Annoying thing about this match is how much of it is about the serve and there are less rallies. There were more in the 2nd, but too many aces for my liking.

Third set to Slovakia and it's currently 5-4 to Britain in the fourth set on Slovakia's serve.

Just shows how much Britain still relies on Murray. :bitchy:

Sir David Gray
10-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Game, set and match Slovakia - 3 sets to 1. :rolleyes:

That puts the tie level at 1-1 after day one.

The doubles are tomorrow and it should be a very close match.

Fleming and Hutchins are both pretty good doubles players but so are the Slovak pair.

Really can't call that match.

lyonhibs
10-02-2012, 08:33 PM
If Britain lose, it's because a tennis-related thread was started by someone other than FalkirkHibee.

FACT. ENDOF.

Sir David Gray
10-02-2012, 08:35 PM
If Britain lose, it's because a tennis-related thread was started by someone other than FalkirkHibee.

FACT. ENDOF.

:agree: I'm not happy!

:tsk tsk:

lyonhibs
10-02-2012, 08:57 PM
:agree: I'm not happy!

:tsk tsk:

Frankly disappointed you let your 100% record slip.

Have you found better to do with your time or something?? :confused:

:rules:

Sir David Gray
10-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Frankly disappointed you let your 100% record slip.

Have you found better to do with your time or something?? :confused:

:rules:

Just started a new job, didn't finish until 5.30 tonight.

I'm going to tell them on Monday to shove it.

This is far more important! :agree:

Twiglet - I hope you realise that if Britain lose, it'll be on your conscience! :bitchy:

Twiglet
10-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Third set to Slovakia and it's currently 5-4 to Britain in the fourth set on Slovakia's serve.

Just shows how much Britain still relies on Murray. :bitchy:

Totally. I get why he is so frustrated at times with it.

Game, set and match Slovakia - 3 sets to 1. :rolleyes:

That puts the tie level at 1-1 after day one.

The doubles are tomorrow and it should be a very close match.

Fleming and Hutchins are both pretty good doubles players but so are the Slovak pair.

Really can't call that match.

I hope they do well. Fleming and Hutchins did well recently in the Aussie Open, and in the last 12 months they've generally done alright too. Half of the Slovak pair tomorrow has one a title this year, and the other did get into the 2nd round of the Aussie Open too, so it's hard to tell. Fleming and Hutchins may (hopefully) have an edge in the fact they are doubles partners normally and the other pairing aren't.

Just started a new job, didn't finish until 5.30 tonight.

I'm going to tell them on Monday to shove it.

This is far more important! :agree:

Twiglet - I hope you realise that if Britain lose, it'll be on your conscience! :bitchy:

Well I waited and I waited and I waited and you didn't start one and then I needed to as play was about to start. Think you're right you need to phone up and tell them you're not coming back first thing Monday, some things in this life are more important that work, and starting tennis threads on .net is one of them!:wink:

And also,:worried:! I just hope the boys don't let me down tomorrow and Evans can play just as good, it not better on Sunday.
I have to say I was a bit disappointed in Ward today, he just didn't seem to have the right body language during his match. He'd hit a shot thinking it wasn't going to be returned and watch as the return flew past him. He really needs to up his game for Sunday, though the guy he'll play then is not as big a server as the guy he was playing today.

Oh, and if GB do lose, remind me never, ever let me start a Hibs match day thread! :greengrin

Sir David Gray
10-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Totally. I get why he is so frustrated at times with it.

It's really sad when you watch Spain, who are without Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer, comfortably beating Kazakhstan. They're playing Juan Carlos Ferrero, who at 48th in the world, is their 8th best player at the moment.

If we had a player ranked 48th in the world, they would be our 2nd best player by an absolute country mile.

If Murray doesn't play, there are no guarantees at all that Britain will beat any nation who has half decent players. Murray is absolutely vital to the success of the GB Davis Cup team and without him, they will struggle to remain in Europe/Africa Group I. Obviously Evans had a great result against Lukas Lacko but I have my doubts as to how consistent he's going to be over a prolonged period. I don't think he can be relied upon to pick up those sorts of results on a regular basis.

I hope they do well. Fleming and Hutchins did well recently in the Aussie Open, and in the last 12 months they've generally done alright too. Half of the Slovak pair tomorrow has one a title this year, and the other did get into the 2nd round of the Aussie Open too, so it's hard to tell. Fleming and Hutchins may (hopefully) have an edge in the fact they are doubles partners normally and the other pairing aren't.

True, hopefully home advantage will also have a bearing on the outcome.

I think Fleming/Hutchins will actually win tomorrow but I think it will be extremely tough.

Well I waited and I waited and I waited and you didn't start one and then I needed to as play was about to start. Think you're right you need to phone up and tell them you're not coming back first thing Monday, some things in this life are more important that work, and starting tennis threads on .net is one of them!:wink:

And also,:worried:! I just hope the boys don't let me down tomorrow and Evans can play just as good, it not better on Sunday.
I have to say I was a bit disappointed in Ward today, he just didn't seem to have the right body language during his match. He'd hit a shot thinking it wasn't going to be returned and watch as the return flew past him. He really needs to up his game for Sunday, though the guy he'll play then is not as big a server as the guy he was playing today.

Oh, and if GB do lose, remind me never, ever let me start a Hibs match day thread! :greengrin

James Ward, to me, is far too erratic and ideally should not be picked for Davis Cup.

He had a brilliant run at Queen's last year and does have his moments but he really ought to have given that guy he was playing today a far better match than he did.

Perfect opportunity to put Britain into an almost unassailable lead going into day two but instead it's all square.

Really disappointing.

PS-E-mail containing my resignation is being sent off as we speak. :aok:

I've got to get my priorities straight. :agree:

Sir David Gray
11-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Colin Fleming and Ross Hutchins won their doubles match this afternoon in 4 sets to put Britain 2-1 up in the tie.

If either James Ward or Dan Evans can win tomorrow then it will mean that Britain will be through to face Belgium in April and will then be just one tie away from entering into the play offs for the World Group.

Sir David Gray
12-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Things not looking too good for GB so far.

James Ward lost a really close opening set against Lukas Lacko as it went to a tiebreak. However the second set was over in the blink of an eye as Lacko took it 6-1.

Lacko is also a break up in the third at 3-2.

Looks like Dan Evans is going to have to repeat his heroics from Friday when he takes on Martin Klizan later on for Britain to progress.

Sir David Gray
12-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Lacko wins 7-6 6-1 6-3 so it's all down to Dan Evans to win the tie for GB.

On a lighter note, anyone else watching this just now? They're playing Loch Lomond over the PA system just now and the "Stirling Uni Barmy Army" are currently doing their version of the Poznan whilst this is playing and there's a guy at the front in a pink bikini top and a pink ballet skirt, with a cream beanie hat.

:faf:

Sir David Gray
12-02-2012, 03:16 PM
What a start by Evans.

Wins the opening set 6-1! :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
12-02-2012, 03:28 PM
This is a sensational performance by Evans so far.

He's currently 6-1 3-0 up against a player that is ranked more than 150 places above him in the world.

Brilliant stuff, just hope he can keep it up!

Sir David Gray
12-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Evans goes 2 sets up!

6-1 6-1.

Just needs one more!

Fantastic display by him, really impressed.

jodjam
12-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Girlfriend and her pal been through last two days. Think she's gutted not there today. Evans is looking very good. The Poznan was a giggle

Twiglet
12-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Yaaaasss!!!!!!!!! Dan Evans wins his singles rubber so GB win the tie!!!!!!!!! I'm not jinxed! :greengrin

Britain will play Belgium in April at Braehead again. Should be good, but a tougher.

On the subject of Dan Evans, was he not injured for a while and so slipped down the rankings?

Sir David Gray
12-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Yaaaasss!!!!!!!!! Dan Evans wins his singles rubber so GB win the tie!!!!!!!!! I'm not jinxed! :greengrin

Britain will play Belgium in April at Braehead again. Should be good, but a tougher.

On the subject of Dan Evans, was he not injured for a while and so slipped down the rankings?

Great result for him. I had to go out during the 3rd set so missed the rest of the match but he did so well to recover after losing a two set lead.

This should give him a lot of confidence.

Not sure about whether he got injured or not but he's never been particularly high up in the rankings. His career high was 248, which came in 2009 and he's currently 276.

With the way he played today, he certainly looked like a guy that was far better than his ranking suggested.

Looking towards Belgium now in April, it will be a tougher task than Slovakia. They have three players inside the top 100 (Olivier Rochus, Xavier Malisse and Steve Darcis).

I personally think Britain will need Andy Murray to play, if they're going to win this tie but if Evans continues with this form then who knows!

Twiglet
12-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Great result for him. I had to go out during the 3rd set so missed the rest of the match but he did so well to recover after losing a two set lead.

This should give him a lot of confidence.

Not sure about whether he got injured or not but he's never been particularly high up in the rankings. His career high was 248, which came in 2009 and he's currently 276.

With the way he played today, he certainly looked like a guy that was far better than his ranking suggested.

Looking towards Belgium now in April, it will be a tougher task than Slovakia. They have three players inside the top 100 (Olivier Rochus, Xavier Malisse and Steve Darcis).

I personally think Britain will need Andy Murray to play, if they're going to win this tie but if Evans continues with this form then who knows!

I didn't see either of todays matches, but from what I saw on Friday Evans had more to his game than Ward. If the guy was serving like he did on Friday, then Evans did well to get past it, as at times it was huge on Friday evening.

Hopefully Murray will be able to play. Looking at the ATP tour calendar, the tournament before is Miami (outdoor hard), which I expect Murray to play in, then next one after that I imagine he'd play in would be Monte Carlo (clay) which starts on the 15th of April so a couple of matches might suit him before him starting his French Open warm up.

If all is well, then I'd choose my team as being Murray an Evans for the singles and Fleming & Hutchins for the doubles.
Malisse is a good player, but is on the way down, rather than up so hopefully Evans will be going in the opposite direction by then and will be able to match him. I'd have to say I'd be nervous if we had to rely on Evans and Ward to get us through the singles matches.

Just looked at the fixture list and Hibs are at home to Motherwell that weekend on the Sunday at 12.30 (don't know if I'll even be going to that considering it's Easter Sunday!). I might see if I can get along on the Saturday to see the doubles as that could end up being an important match.