PDA

View Full Version : Tax Return

Hibrandenburg
27-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Just received a warning that my online tax return needs to be filed before the 31st or I will recieve a fine.

I know this and that's why I already did mine in November, so why am I now getting a warning?

Is this just a general notice to everyone or have they lost my return? Fuming smiley

CropleyWasGod
27-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Just received a warning that my online tax return needs to be filed before the 31st or I will recieve a fine.

I know this and that's why I already did mine in November, so why am I now getting a warning?

Is this just a general notice to everyone or have they lost my return? Fuming smiley

When you filed it, you should have got an acknowledgement from HMRC. If you have that, you're okay. Although you might want to check the reference numbers; it wouldn't be the first time that one person has two different numbers.

If you don't have an acknowledgement, you should probably re-file, just to be on the safe side. HMRC "never lose anything", so you would have problems convincing them that you'd filed without proof.

One last thing. HMRC have just announced today that the deadline has been shifted to 2 February, due a to a call centre strike on the 31st. You have a couple extra days if you do need to re-file.

Hibrandenburg
28-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks CWG. Got a receipt number but not sure if the online return has a copy or not. Would be a pain to have to do it all again.

Just out of interest, does everyone in the UK always have to file a return?

CropleyWasGod
28-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks CWG. Got a receipt number but not sure if the online return has a copy or not. Would be a pain to have to do it all again.

Just out of interest, does everyone in the UK always have to file a return?

No problem.

Another thought.... sometimes these final reminders are processed and printed, well in advance. By the time they go out, often the taxpayer has filed in the interim.

It might be a good idea to go online and check whether your Return has been "captured" ie that they have received it. The receipt, though, is your trump card.

To answer your last point, No is the short answer. Only those who are formally asked to by HMRC, and those who believe that they have untaxed income etc, are required to file.

Onceinawhile
28-01-2012, 09:23 PM
As an extra, super exciting point to add.. Hmrc have extended the filing deadline to 2nd of February.

CropleyWasGod
28-01-2012, 09:29 PM
As an extra, super exciting point to add.. Hmrc have extended the filing deadline to 2nd of February.

See my first post :na na:

Pete
29-01-2012, 12:18 AM

All I need for them to do now is extend the deadline for paying any money due...by about two years.

The actual return is the easy part.:rolleyes:

Killiehibbie
30-01-2012, 03:03 PM
All I need for them to do now is extend the deadline for paying any money due...by about two years.

The actual return is the easy part.:rolleyes:Move through here, can't pay tax on zero earnings :boo hoo::boo hoo: