PDA

View Full Version : Calum Booth

EasterRoad4Ever
22-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Watching him yesterday and in the last few games, felt really sorry for the lad.

He's a young, talented player with a really good attitude about him (got bits of Brownley & Cropley) but he's having to carry FAR too much responsibility for the weaklinks in the side (Sproule, Hanlon, Stephens). With the right support/players around him, real chance of him developing into a top player. At the moment, his confidence is getting shot to bits. Great to see him keep going and getting a goal.

CallumLaidlaw
22-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Couple of guys behind me yesterday spent the game calling him a waster, a pussy, etc. bang out of order IMHO. Seemed to enjoy his goal tho!

Heckys Wheel
22-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Couple of guys behind me yesterday spent the game calling him a waster, a pussy, etc. bang out of order IMHO. Seemed to enjoy his goal tho!

We'll need to get a couple of role models in for him to learn from otherwise his potential is going to be wasted. Playing in teams like this can ruin a player.

howdenthehibby
22-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Forget sproule, and galbriath, get him playing left midfield in an advanced role.the laddie has an eye for goal.

leither17
22-01-2012, 01:30 PM
His goal yesterday reminded me of david murphy he used to do that all the time

truehibernian
22-01-2012, 01:40 PM
If you are as sad as me, watch the game back and analyse Sproule first half and second, before you pass full judgement on Callum.

In the first half I counted four occasions where Ivan tracked his runner, then for some reason stopped. Literally pulled up and allowed his man to be marked by Callum, despite Callum having to mark and track the spare Saints player as well. This left Callum exposed and doubled up on......three times it was Sandaza going wide to take the ball. By that time Ivan had sussed, however lost his man, and was marking space not man. There are always times where marking space is advised....not however if you have lasped into ball watching and letting you man go as easily.

Then watch Francomb on the other flank. Yes, the play didn't go down that side as often, however you could immediately tell he has game awareness and knows the concept of marking. He made a couple of inroads into the oppostion half, but when losing possession, he immediately tracked back, held the right mid slot and this in turn helped Hart. Ivan never really gave Callum an option. When Ivan lost the ball (normally when cutting inside instead of taking the man on down the line), he remained upfield.

What was interesting to note was that when Galbraith came on, Callum started to play his natural football game. He appeared more confident to start making runs both infield and wide, because Danny gave an option and also retained the ball better. Yes, a few times Callum was maybe a yard off or a yard too far in front of a pass.....but his goal came from neat build up, one touch 'give and go'.....something Ivan doesn't have in his locker.

Get an experienced and pacey left back and put Callum in midfield, he will star. I think he has genuine football ability and superb technique. For those old and crusty enough to remember, Callum reminds me so much of Ray Kennedy....graceful player with such a sweet left foot it was divine to watch at times (but could hit a ball with his right). With the same level of temperament too.

MagicSwirlingShip
22-01-2012, 01:43 PM
If you are as sad as me, watch the game back and analyse Sproule first half and second, before you pass full judgement on Callum.

In the first half I counted four occasions where Ivan tracked his runner, then for some reason stopped. Literally pulled up and allowed his man to be marked by Callum, despite Callum having to mark and track the spare Saints player as well. This left Callum exposed and doubled up on......three times it was Sandaza going wide to take the ball. By that time Ivan had sussed, however lost his man, and was marking space not man. There are always times where marking space is advised....not however if you have lasped into ball watching and letting you man go as easily.

Then watch Francomb on the other flank. Yes, the play didn't go down that side as often, however you could immediately tell he has game awareness and knows the concept of marking. He made a couple of inroads into the oppostion half, but when losing possession, he immediately tracked back, held the right mid slot and this in turn helped Hart. Ivan never really gave Callum an option. When Ivan lost the ball (normally when cutting inside instead of taking the man on down the line), he remained upfield.

What was interesting to note was that when Galbraith came on, Callum started to play his natural football game. He appeared more confident to start making runs both infield and wide, because Danny gave an option and also retained the ball better. Yes, a few times Callum was maybe a yard off or a yard too far in front of a pass.....but his goal came from neat build up, one touch 'give and go'.....something Ivan doesn't have in his locker.

Get an experienced and pacey left back and put Callum in midfield, he will star. I think he has genuine football ability and superb technique. For those old and crusty enough to remember, Callum reminds me so much of Ray Kennedy....graceful player with such a sweet left foot it was divine to watch at times (but could hit a ball with his right). With the same level of temperament too.

:top marks

Sir David Gray
22-01-2012, 01:48 PM
He had a tough time in the first half against Croft and hasn't had a great time recently, however he is clearly a talented, young player and I'm sure he'll go on to have a very good career in the game.

KingFranck
22-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Ju

I've said this on another thread we already have a good left back Scott Smith admit he aint experienced but hes good enough and that would allow Booth to push up into LW position.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Callum clearly has his faults defensively, but going forward is very good indeed. I'm coming round to playing him left midfield, and Fenlon then signing a new left back to go with the 2 new centre halfs and right back we need NOW.

Sammy7nil
22-01-2012, 01:55 PM
I think Booth should be tried in midfield having said that we have another thread slagging PF for playing Francomb in midfield when he is a FB (Francomb did very well at EEP on his debut in midfield). Yet we have people on this thread calling for Booth to be played in midfield.

If your a manager you can't win unless the team does. :greengrin

The Green Goblin
22-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Booth looks a potentially serious quality player imo. Fantastic touch and great awareness. Makes the occasional wee mistake, but he is still very young and as others have said, he is carrying several other players through games at times. I would rate him higher than any other player at the club right now.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I think Booth should be tried in midfield having said that we have another thread slagging PF for playing Francomb in midfield when he is a FB (Francomb did very well at EEP on his debut in midfield). Yet we have people on this thread calling for Booth to be played in midfield.

If your a manager you can't win unless the team does. :greengrin

I understand why Fenlon plays Booth at left back, we dont actually have another left back unless its one of the kids, and Booth is still a kid too. If we had another left back, i'd imagine Fenlon must be thinking what a lot of us fans are, and might try Callum one up when we aquire another left back?

I dont understand the reasoning behind playing a crap right back, who'e been crap from the 1st day he signed for us, in front of a new signing who is a right back. Unless the manager thinks Hart is better than Francomb, in which case why would he sign Francomb?

Sammy7nil
22-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Booth looks a potentially serious quality player imo. Fantastic touch and great awareness. Makes the occasional wee mistake, but he is still very young and as others have said, he is carrying several other players through games at times. I would rate him higher than any other player at the club right now.

I dont disagree but - LOL what a glowing recomendation :greengrin

There are players in the Highland league that may be better than members of our current squad.

.Sean.
22-01-2012, 02:04 PM
I thought he played well second half. First half he was dragged all over but that was due to others not picking up their man.

I'd rather see him at LM but I think he feels more comfortable playing at the back.

stanton10
22-01-2012, 02:38 PM
I understand why Fenlon plays Booth at left back, we dont actually have another left back unless its one of the kids, and Booth is still a kid too. If we had another left back, i'd imagine Fenlon must be thinking what a lot of us fans are, and might try Callum one up when we aquire another left back?

I dont understand the reasoning behind playing a crap right back, who'e been crap from the 1st day he signed for us, in front of a new signing who is a right back. Unless the manager thinks Hart is better than Francomb, in which case why would he sign Francomb?

Booth, will never be a midfield player stop pushing him this way because he gets aroasting of the guy does not mean you can move him forward , he cant header the ball and just cant defend -like a shed load of them

The Green Goblin
22-01-2012, 03:07 PM
[/U][/B]

I dont disagree but - LOL what a glowing recomendation :greengrin

There are players in the Highland league that may be better than members of our current squad.

:-)

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Booth, will never be a midfield player stop pushing him this way because he gets aroasting of the guy does not mean you can move him forward , he cant header the ball and just cant defend -like a shed load of them

Yesterdays goal was great play, whether it was a full back or a midfielder. He'd get more chance to do that playing in midfield, rather than defending, which he's not the best at. So i will continue to say he can be a good midfielder thank you very much. :rolleyes:

IWasThere2016
22-01-2012, 03:23 PM

This, and agree with your earlier post too. I am away for a lie doon :wink: :greengrin

frazeHFC
22-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Thought he did well yesterday. Was furious at the abuse i heard him get.

lucky
22-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Going forward he is good but defending he was awful. It was not just when Sproule never worked back he was given a torrid time by croft most of the game

NAE NOOKIE
22-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Forget sproule, and galbriath, get him playing left midfield in an advanced role.the laddie has an eye for goal.

:top marks

Left sided midfielder if there ever was one, wasted at left back coz the lad just isnt a defender, but is great going forward.

greenlex
22-01-2012, 04:30 PM
What did you make of his chance when he didnt know whether to shoot or pass? In the end he did neither and his shot come pass hit the corner flag. Took his goal very well and I think he was probably the most relieved person inside ER when it hit the net.

S.sct
22-01-2012, 04:32 PM
It was pretty obvious to me that SJ had a game plan to work down that left side and I do think it was more about Sproule (who quite frankly should not be a regular in that team) than Booth. As the OP rightly said they had 2 v 1 on more than one occassion in the 1st half and Booth was struggling. If the left mid doesn't track properly even the best full back will struggle.....However, I do think Booth would make a better midfielder than a full back. My only concern would be his pace but that never held Ian Murray back when he broke into the team.

As for Francome, I don't think people are listening to what PF is saying. He is attempting to bring in players that can adapt to various positions (which makes perfect sense to me). I too thought he protected Hart well yesterday which resulted in him (Hart) having a decent game.

Stevie Reid
22-01-2012, 05:04 PM

Whilst clearly a good football player with considerable technique, I cannot agree that Booth has great awareness - unfortunately he has made more than the occasional wee mistake recently too: - the penalty against Hearts, and for Dunfermline's equalizer last week he made a terrible clearance which allowed Dunfermline to work the ball into the empty space that he should have been in in the first place. Those mistakes came from a lack of awareness.

As I've said in another thread about Stephens, Booth is learning is trade and will make mistakes, the question is can we afford to let him make them for the rest of the season. Not at LB IMO, he lacks vital attributes required to play there - nonetheless he scored a superb goal yesterday, and showed considerable courage to do so.

Going forward he is good but defending he was awful. It was not just when Sproule never worked back he was given a torrid time by croft most of the game

:agree:

We cannot simply blame everyone except Callum - he was skinned time and time again by James Dayton earlier this season, and Croft had him on toast yesterday. Whilst you do not want your full back in a 1v1 situation too often, he MUST be able to deal with them better - he seems incapable of either tackling or jockeying, and is beaten far too easily. Other teams see him as a weak link via their wingers running at him, or long diagonals in behind him, as he is weak in the tackle and poor in the air - he doesn't need protection from someone in front of him, he needs someone playing behind him.

He needs to be pushed forward to realise his still considerable potential.