PDA

View Full Version : Promoting the image of Scottish Football

NAE NOOKIE
18-01-2012, 06:07 PM
The thread about atmosphere at ER got me thinking of how we ( Scottish Football ) fail to show our game in its best light.

For example we seem to delight in putting our show games ( semi finals etc ) in stadiums which are far too big, so that a reasonable crowd of say 15,000 for a League Cup semi between St Mirren and Motherwell for instance gets shown on Sky to an English audience who only care about the vast empty spaces at Hampden, whereas if it was at ER or the PBS the crowd would look OK.

Also, have a look at the pictures in the papers every weekend ... the photographers seem to delight in pictures with nobody in the background. I'm always amazed at how they can get a picture with no fans in it, even though there might be 5,000 people within 100 feet of the camera.

And .... the most annoying thing is the Hibs calendar which year in year out has super action pictures of your favourite Hibs stars with bloody swathes of empty seats as a backdrop, this years being no exeption to that rule.

If I was going to sell my house I sure as hell wouldnt want Scottish football to do it.

:bitchy:

WestEndHibee
18-01-2012, 06:23 PM
The thread about atmosphere at ER got me thinking of how we ( Scottish Football ) fail to show our game in its best light.

For example we seem to delight in putting our show games ( semi finals etc ) in stadiums which are far too big, so that a reasonable crowd of say 15,000 for a League Cup semi between St Mirren and Motherwell for instance gets shown on Sky to an English audience who only care about the vast empty spaces at Hampden, whereas if it was at ER or the PBS the crowd would look OK.

Also, have a look at the pictures in the papers every weekend ... the photographers seem to delight in pictures with nobody in the background. I'm always amazed at how they can get a picture with no fans in it, even though there might be 5,000 people within 100 feet of the camera.

And .... the most annoying thing is the Hibs calendar which year in year out has super action pictures of your favourite Hibs stars with bloody swathes of empty seats as a backdrop, this years being no exeption to that rule.

If I was going to sell my house I sure as hell wouldnt want Scottish football to do it.

:top marks
Spot on. Scottish Football is in a very bad way but somehow its made to look even worse by shoddy decision making from the powers that be. Prime example being the Hibs vs St Johnstone semi at the pbs in 2007. It was immense. Great atmosphere involving both sets of fans, everyone was close enough to see the game, a streaker. It had everything.

Sammy7nil
19-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Yeah totally agree.
The clubs don't appear to work togther either to promote games and make decisions that favour the fans rather than coming out with tired old lines like "My players will love playing at Hampden and it will give us feel for the ground prior to the final." No it won't not atmosphere with very few fans to 40,000 + on final day is no comparrison.

patlowe
19-01-2012, 11:43 AM
The SPL and clubs really need to get their act together when it comes to selling our game as I believe we have a stronger product than people would have you believe. As well as the examples you give, decisions like scheduling Hibs in Inverness on a Sunday at midday are IMO hugely damaging for Scottish football. Seeing an empty stadium for an SPL match on national TV is visually embarrassing, not to mention the impact it has on the atmosphere and excitement generated.

frazeHFC
19-01-2012, 02:52 PM
The showing fans thing really pisses me off. Huge crowd by us on Saturday and they don't show it. When Griffiths was celebrating the 3rd you couldn't see the fans on the tele. If they had the camera slightly higher you would see everyone going crazy which looks much better imo.