PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Australian Open

Sir David Gray
13-01-2012, 02:01 AM
It's hard to believe that the first Grand Slam of the 2012 season is almost upon us but the 2012 Australian Open will begin on Monday from Melbourne.

It doesn't seem that long since the 2011 World Tour Finals were being played in London but all the attention turns to the other side of the world for the next two weeks.

The draw was made today and it has thrown up a potential semi final line up of;

Novak Djokovic vs Andy Murray
Rafael Nadal vs Roger Federer

What a treat that would be!

That's all a long way off though and in the first round, Federer and Nadal will face qualifiers, the identify of whom is not yet known.

Djokovic and Murray's opponents are known though and the defending champion will face a 30 year old Italian called Paolo Lorenzi, who is currently ranked 108th in the world rankings. I think it's safe to say that Djokovic will be making a winning start.

Murray, who has reached the final for the last two years, faces the American Ryan Harrison. They have never played each other in a competitive match, however I can't see Murray having too many problems against someone who is ranked 80 places below him. It will also be very interesting to see how Murray approaches this tournament, considering that it will be his first Grand Slam under the guidance of Ivan Lendl.

Having looked further ahead, I cannot see Murray having too many problems before the quarter finals, when he will potentially face Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

For any UK viewers, it will probably mean some very late nights over the next couple of weeks. A lot of the matches will be on at around 3-4am, although there will be some night matches, which we'll see about 8-9am.

Should be an exciting two weeks and I just hope Andy can do it this time! :pray:

Twiglet
14-01-2012, 12:48 AM
You're right, it has come round quick. Praying for Andy that this is his year.
I'm interested about Lendls influence too. i was reading an article the other day that raised that very question. Murray at times starts muttering and shouting to himself, i just wonder if Lendl's identified this as something that needs sorting. it pointed out how Murray will shout at his box when things go wrong, but questioned whether he dare do that with Lendl there. if things do go to plan and he gets to the semis then Lendls influence might start to be seen then.
No matter i'm looking forward as it now feels like the tennis season has proprely begun.

Sir David Gray
14-01-2012, 01:19 AM
You're right, it has come round quick. Praying for Andy that this is his year.
I'm interested about Lendls influence too. i was reading an article the other day that raised that very question. Murray at times starts muttering and shouting to himself, i just wonder if Lendl's identified this as something that needs sorting. it pointed out how Murray will shout at his box when things go wrong, but questioned whether he dare do that with Lendl there. if things do go to plan and he gets to the semis then Lendls influence might start to be seen then.
No matter i'm looking forward as it now feels like the tennis season has proprely begun.

I read that same article.

Murray also spoke the other day about how honest Lendl had been since they joined up. He said that a lot of people are too nice and tend to just say things that they think you'll want to hear and that Lendl was nothing like this.

Like you, I wonder if Murray's on court conduct is something that Lendl has identified as something that needs to change.

There are a lot of similarities between them that may help Murray. Whilst Lendl went on to win eight Grand Slam titles in his career, he lost his first four finals.

Murray has played three and lost three so far and I think it might be important for Lendl to get across how to handle the pressure of getting so close to winning your first major, not quite managing it for a while and then finally making the breakthrough.

Lendl was also playing at a time when men's tennis was probably at a standard that was pretty much on a par with today. He was up against the likes of John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Stefan Edberg, Boris Becker and Mats Wilander, who were all multiple Grand Slam champions themselves and obviously Murray is challenging Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic, who are three of the all-time greats.

It's one thing having a tantrum in front of your mum or someone like Miles MacLagan and something different altogether to do it in front of someone with the stature of Ivan Lendl.

jodjam
14-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Really hope Murray goes on and wins this year but I don't think the draw is kind.

Nadal does not seem to be at his best and I reckon Murrays best chance was to be in his half of the draw. If seedings go to plan then to beat Tsonga, Nole and then Federer is a big ask as I reckon Nadal may go out early and give the winner of that half of the draw an easier run. Hope i'm wrong.

Sir David Gray
15-01-2012, 03:24 PM
The schedule for tomorrow (later today if you're in Australia!) is out and there are some big names involved in day one.

Heather Watson will play her first ever match in the main draw of the Australian Open when she takes on the third seed Victoria Azarenka.

She will be in the first match of the tournament on the main Rod Laver Arena and it will start at midnight (UK time).

Roger Federer will try to win the 17th Grand Slam title of his career and he will begin against Alexander Kudryavtsev, who is a qualifier from Russia. His match will be on at 8am (UK time).

Rafael Nadal also faces a qualifier in Alex Kuznetsov and he will be on at approximately 5am (UK time).

Laura Robson will also be playing her first ever match in the main draw of the Australian Open when she takes on Jelena Jankovic. She will be on at approximately 6am (UK time).

James Ward will also be playing his first ever match in the main draw of the Australian Open and he will face Blaz Kavcic at midnight (UK time).

Some exciting matches to look forward to tonight and tomorrow morning and it should be good fun!

Sir David Gray
16-01-2012, 03:21 PM
And then there was one...:rolleyes:

Yep, after just one day's play, Andy Murray is the sole surviving British player left in either the men's or women's draw after five players went out today and none of them even managed to win one set between them.

Heather Watson was first to go after losing heavily against world number three Victoria Azarenka, 6-1 6-0.

Then Elena Baltacha lost out to a player ranked 53 players below her, 6-2 6-4.

Shortly afterwards, Laura Robson lost 6-2 6-0 to former world number one, Jelena Jankovic.

Anne Keothavong lost the first set 6-0 against her opponent, before retiring from the match with an illness.

Last to go was James Ward as he lost his match against Blaz Kavcic, 6-4 6-3 6-4.

There were no such worries for Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal, who both got safely through to round two.

Former US Open champion, Juan Martin Del Potro, also progressed, despite dropping the opening set against Adrian Mannarino and Mardy Fish also got through.

There were a few seeds who made an early exit from the tournament;

22nd seed Fernando Verdasco lost a two set lead against home favourite, Bernard Tomic, after around 4 hours.
25th seed Juan Monaco also lost in a five set match against Philipp Kohlschreiber.
28th seed Ivan Ljubicic lost to Lukas Lacko in a five set match, despite being two sets up.
31st seed Jurgen Melzer lost to Ivo Karlovic in straight sets.

So the last remaining Brit in Australia, Andy Murray, begins his tournament tomorrow against Ryan Harrison. Murray should be on sometime around 3am-3.30am (UK time). Anyone wanting to watch that in the UK will have to be up early! I think I'll give it a miss, myself!

Defending champion, Novak Djokovic, also begins his tournament tomorrow and he will be on at around 1.30am-2am.

Dashing Bob S
16-01-2012, 03:55 PM
The wife has finally gotten wise about my passionate interest in the women's tennis game. Thank god for Murray, he's been such an excellent smokescreen when those unsocial hours come along.

Now all we need is a world-class Scottish volleyball player, and all is good.

PatHead
16-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Is this only on Eurosport this year? Can't seem to find anything about tennis on the red button bbc.

By the way DBS surely you mean Beach Volleyball?

Sir David Gray
16-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Is this only on Eurosport this year? Can't seem to find anything about tennis on the red button bbc.

The BBC has the men's and women's finals, plus one men's semi final.

PatHead
17-01-2012, 12:50 PM
The BBC has the men's and women's finals, plus one men's semi final.

Damn, need to join Eurosport

Sir David Gray
17-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Damn, need to join Eurosport

As a publicly funded broadcaster, the BBC obviously has to be careful with how they spend their budget and, showing live coverage of a tournament in Australia, when the vast majority of matches are being played between the hours of 12am-6am, when most people in the UK are asleep, just isn't good use of their resources.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Andy Murray progressed into round two of the Australian Open, but it was far from easy against Ryan Harrison.

Murray dropped the opening set and seemed to be struggling with his serve before taking control in the second set and became more comfortable as the match wore on.

He eventually came through it in just over 3 hours and will now play Edouard Roger-Vasselin on Thursday.

Elsewhere, Novak Djokovic lost just two games en route to victory over Paolo Lorenzi as he attempts to win his 3rd Australian Open.

Number five seed, David Ferrer, was also in impressive form as he saw off Rui Machado in straight sets.

The only seed to go out on day two was Radek Stepanek as he lost to Nicolas Mahut in straight sets.

Lleyton Hewitt set up a tasty encounter with his old rival Andy Roddick on Thursday as he finally saw off the challenge of Cedrik-Marcel Stebe. Hewitt took the opening two sets but Stebe came back and won the third set, was looking comfortable at 5-1 up in the fourth set and looked as if it was heading for a decider.

However, Hewitt somehow found some extra motivation from somewhere and managed to win six games in a row to get into the second round, where he will face Roddick after he had a comfortable victory over Robin Haase.

It was also a great night for France as, along with Mahut, they also saw Simon, Tsonga, Gasquet, Benneteau, Monfils, Roger-Vasselin and Llodra all advance.

The only Frenchman to go out on day two was Stephane Robert, who lost to Kei Nishikori.

CallumLaidlaw
17-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Murray looked very sluggish for most of the match. He also appeared to have a bit of a knock at some point. Main thing is he's through. Lendl will give him a talking to anyway!

Sir David Gray
17-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Murray looked very sluggish for most of the match. He also appeared to have a bit of a knock at some point. Main thing is he's through. Lendl will give him a talking to anyway!

Murray will get through the early rounds here without having too much trouble. He'll beat Roger-Vasselin, even if he stays in 2nd gear, and even in the next couple of rounds after that, I can't see too many problems;

3rd round-Alex Bogomolov Jr?-Straight sets victory.
4th round-Viktor Troicki/Gael Monfils?-A bit tougher but I still don't think he would lose to either of them over five sets.

If he doesn't raise his game, the problems may begin in the quarter finals, when he might face Tsonga. At his best, Murray would have too much for him but he will be a really tough opponent, if Murray isn't on the ball.

Sylar
18-01-2012, 04:41 PM
The draw was made today and it has thrown up a potential semi final line up of;

Novak Djokovic vs Andy Murray
Rafael Nadal vs Roger Federer

What a treat that would be!

This is the one thing which really bothers me about tennis and why I find it so unbearably boring. If fitness isn't an issue, this semi-final lineup is almost to be expected at every single tournament, because the rest of the field just aren't on the same level as this four.

People slate football leagues for the domination of a few, but tennis is the epitome of a dominated sport.

Sir David Gray
18-01-2012, 11:07 PM
This is the one thing which really bothers me about tennis and why I find it so unbearably boring. If fitness isn't an issue, this semi-final lineup is almost to be expected at every single tournament, because the rest of the field just aren't on the same level as this four.

People slate football leagues for the domination of a few, but tennis is the epitome of a dominated sport.

In the last 9 Majors in which all four of them have played, there have only been two occasions where all four of them have made the semi finals.

On most occasions, there's at least one "outsider" who manages to get that far.

I actually think it's good that the top of men's tennis is as strong as it currently is.

In Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray, we have four of the greatest players who have ever picked up a tennis racket. I think they have taken tennis to an unprecedented level.

If the other players want the "big four" to become the "big five or six" then they're going to have to put in the hard work, get the results and push their way towards the top.

I can't speak for anyone else but I personally find that it's a privilege to watch these players play at the top of their game and I will miss them once they've retired.

Dashing Bob S
19-01-2012, 03:26 AM
In the last 9 Majors in which all four of them have played, there have only been two occasions where all four of them have made the semi finals.

On most occasions, there's at least one "outsider" who manages to get that far.

I actually think it's good that the top of men's tennis is as strong as it currently is.

In Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray, we have four of the greatest players who have ever picked up a tennis racket. I think they have taken tennis to an unprecedented level.

If the other players want the "big four" to become the "big five or six" then they're going to have to put in the hard work, get the results and push their way towards the top.

I can't speak for anyone else but I personally find that it's a privilege to watch these players play at the top of their game and I will miss them once they've retired.

I think you're correct about the first three but I can't in all honesty put Murray in that bracket. Until he wins a GS tourney to do so is stretching it a bit.

PeeJay
19-01-2012, 08:30 AM
In ....and Murray, we have four of the greatest players who have ever picked up a tennis racket. I think they have taken tennis to an unprecedented level.

Seriously? Better than Becker - McEnroe. Lendl, Borg, Connors - Laver? Murray hasn't won anything of note yet, how has he taken tennis to an unprecedented level? :confused:

Sir David Gray
19-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I think you're correct about the first three but I can't in all honesty put Murray in that bracket. Until he wins a GS tourney to do so is stretching it a bit.

Seriously? Better than Becker - McEnroe. Lendl, Borg, Connors - Laver? Murray hasn't won anything of note yet, how has he taken tennis to an unprecedented level? :confused:

As I said previously, I believe men's tennis is generally at a level that it has never been at before so the fact that Murray has already reached 3 Grand Slam finals and has been consistently ranked in the top four for so long now shows that he deserves to be mentioned as one of the best.

Of course I agree that he needs to win a few Grand Slams before he can claim to be better than the likes of Borg, McEnroe, Sampras, Becker etc, but I think that the type of tennis that Andy Murray plays would have won him several Grand Slams already, if he had been playing in almost any other era previous to this one.

Apart from anything else, I don't really think that winning a Major is the be all and end all, in terms of where you are placed in an all-time list.

The likes of Gaston Gaudio, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Albert Costa, Thomas Johansson and Carlos Moya all managed to win one Major but I would say that Murray (even if he never manages to win one) will be regarded as a far better player than any of those players, long after he's retired.

Wembley67
19-01-2012, 12:23 PM
As I said previously, I believe men's tennis is generally at a level that it has never been at before so the fact that Murray has already reached 3 Grand Slam finals and has been consistently ranked in the top four for so long now shows that he deserves to be mentioned as one of the best.

Of course I agree that he needs to win a few Grand Slams before he can claim to be better than the likes of Borg, McEnroe, Sampras, Becker etc, but I think that the type of tennis that Andy Murray plays would have won him several Grand Slams already, if he had been playing in almost any other era previous to this one.

Apart from anything else, I don't really think that winning a Major is the be all and end all, in terms of where you are placed in an all-time list.

The likes of Gaston Gaudio, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Albert Costa, Thomas Johansson and Carlos Moya all managed to win one Major but I would say that Murray (even if he never manages to win one) will be regarded as a far better player than any of those players, long after he's retired.

By the British media.

Sir David Gray
19-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Andy Murray is safely through to round 3 after a comfortable victory over Edouard Roger-Vasselin. Murray got through in straight sets, 6-1 6-4 6-4 and will now play Michael Llodra in the last 32.

Novak Djokovic also got through without any problems after he beat Santiago Giraldo 6-3 6-2 6-1.

David Ferrer had to battle to get past Ryan Sweeting and found himself two sets to one down before eventually progressing in five sets.

In the battle of the former world number ones, it was Lleyton Hewitt who got through to round three at the expense of Andy Roddick. Roddick won the opening set, however he appeared to go over on his ankle at one point and never really looked comfortable after that. Hewitt came back at him and won the next two sets before Roddick eventually pulled out of the match.

There were also wins for Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Janko Tipsarevic, Kei Nishikori, Gael Monfils, Mikhail Kukushkin, Milos Raonic, Richard Gasquet, Juan Ignacio Chela, Frederico Gil, Nicolas Mahut, Michael Llodra and Julien Benneteau.

That means the draw for the last 32 is as follows;
TOP HALF

[1] Djokovic vs Mahut
[23] Raonic vs Hewitt
[9] Tipsarevic vs [17] Gasquet
[27] Chela vs [5] Ferrer
[4] Murray vs Llodra
Kukushkin vs [14] Monfils
Benneteau vs [24] Nishikori
Gil vs [6] Tsonga

BOTTOM HALF

Falla vs Kohlschreiber
Lu vs [11] Del Potro
[13] Dolgopolov vs Tomic
Karlovic vs [3] Federer
[7] Berdych vs [30] Anderson
[21] Wawrinka vs [10] Almagro
[16] Isner vs [18] Lopez
Lacko vs [2] Nadal

Sir David Gray
19-01-2012, 12:37 PM
By the British media.

By tennis people in general, I would imagine.

The British media actually goes the other way and is only too keen to knock our best sportsmen and women.

Dashing Bob S
19-01-2012, 12:56 PM

Not disputing that he's better than the trail of one-off (to date) GS winners that you mention, nor that he's playing in a 'golden era' (though with advancing sports science diet and training techniques every passing era seems to throw up stronger players) but I still have difficulty in putting him in the same cachet as the big three, and find it particularly ludicrous to bracket him with Federer and Nadal, given their accomplishments in the game.

PeeJay
19-01-2012, 12:56 PM

Get Andy into a Delorean and have him face the likes of this lot - think he'd win?

Boris Becker or Andy Murray?
Björn Borg v A Murray?
John McEnroe v Andy Murray?
Jimmy Connors v Andy Murray?

If it's not technique, what is this new unprecedented level? Power, better equipment, athleticism? How do you measure "greatness" if you don't rate GS victories?

I'm not a tennis expert, so you may well be right, of course, but I'm struggling to see how you can put him up there with what I would consider greats on account of what they achieved?

HibbyAndy
19-01-2012, 01:09 PM

Agree 100% with all of that mate.

Sir David Gray
19-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Not disputing that he's better than the trail of one-off (to date) GS winners that you mention, nor that he's playing in a 'golden era' (though with advancing sports science diet and training techniques every passing era seems to throw up stronger players) but I still have difficulty in putting him in the same cachet as the big three, and find it particularly ludicrous to bracket him with Federer and Nadal, given their accomplishments in the game.

I don't think he's on a par with Federer or Nadal, I actually think these two are out on their own (with Sampras) as the three greatest players ever.

All I meant by my post was that Andy Murray is up there, in my opinion, as one of the best tennis players that we've seen. I'm not saying that he's better or worse than any particular player but simply saying that when people are asked who they think are the best tennis players of the last 30 years or so, I think a lot of people will mention Murray.

Get Andy into a Delorean and have him face the likes of this lot - think he'd win?

Boris Becker or Andy Murray?
Björn Borg v A Murray?
John McEnroe v Andy Murray?
Jimmy Connors v Andy Murray?

If it's not technique, what is this new unprecedented level? Power, better equipment, athleticism? How do you measure "greatness" if you don't rate GS victories?

I'm not a tennis expert, so you may well be right, of course, but I'm struggling to see how you can put him up there with what I would consider greats on account of what they achieved?

Obviously it's an impossible question that you've posed there as it's never going to happen. However I think if Andy Murray had played against most of those players in their prime, Murray would have a fairly decent record against them. For a start, a lot of players from that era are serve and volley specialists.

That tactic is hardly ever used nowadays, however Murray will be playing someone who still does it (Michael Llodra) in the next round of the Australian Open. Guys like Murray will punish the serve and volley tactic almost every single time because they are so good at finding a target on the court and if you're going to come to the net after practically every single serve, you'll get punished more often than not.

Dashing Bob S
20-01-2012, 02:06 PM

Yes. I certainly do.

Dashing Bob S
20-01-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't think he's on a par with Federer or Nadal, I actually think these two are out on their own (with Sampras) as the three greatest players ever.

All I meant by my post was that Andy Murray is up there, in my opinion, as one of the best tennis players that we've seen. I'm not saying that he's better or worse than any particular player but simply saying that when people are asked who they think are the best tennis players of the last 30 years or so, I think a lot of people will mention Murray.

Obviously it's an impossible question that you've posed there as it's never going to happen. However I think if Andy Murray had played against most of those players in their prime, Murray would have a fairly decent record against them. For a start, a lot of players from that era are serve and volley specialists.

That tactic is hardly ever used nowadays, however Murray will be playing someone who still does it (Michael Llodra) in the next round of the Australian Open. Guys like Murray will punish the serve and volley tactic almost every single time because they are so good at finding a target on the court and if you're going to come to the net after practically every single serve, you'll get punished more often than not.

Murray is undoubtedly the best British and one of the best European, but if you're talking best in the last thirty years in the world, i'd seriously doubt he'd be on the list. Not splitting hairs about this FH, I respect your evident knowledge of, and passion for, the game of tennis, I just think you've got Hibs/Scotland blinkers on a bitty with AM!

Sir David Gray
20-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Murray is undoubtedly the best British and one of the best European, but if you're talking best in the last thirty years in the world, i'd seriously doubt he'd be on the list. Not splitting hairs about this FH, I respect your evident knowledge of, and passion for, the game of tennis, I just think you've got Hibs/Scotland blinkers on a bitty with AM!

Having thought a bit about this last night, I probably was being a bit kind to Murray. :agree:

I now retract what I said about him being on an all-time list of greatest players.

However, what I will say is that I do honestly believe that Murray's talents are not given the full respect that they deserve by people in Britain, just because he's yet to win a Grand Slam and what people fail to appreciate is that he is currently playing in one of the toughest periods of men's tennis for many years. He is a world class tennis player and I don't think that should be forgotten about or ignored just because he's yet to win a big one.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer are both safely into the last 16 with straight sets victories over Lukas Lacko and Ivo Karlovic respectively.

Nadal will now play his fellow Spaniard, Feliciano Lopez, after he defeated John Isner in five sets. Federer will play the home favourite, Bernard Tomic, after he knocked out the 13th seed, Alexandr Dolgopolov, also in five sets.

There were also wins for Juan Martin Del Potro, Tomas Berdych, Philipp Kohlschreiber and Nicolas Almagro.

Tomorrow, Andy Murray plays his 3rd round match against Michael Llodra. For a change, his match will be on at a time that is more suitable for UK viewers as he is due to begin at 8am (UK time).

World number one, Novak Djokovic, plays against Nicolas Mahut and he will be on at approximately 3.30am.

Lleyton Hewitt is also in action against Milos Raonic and that will be on about 9.30am.

Sir David Gray
21-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Andy Murray's just won the opening set against Michael Llodra, 6-4.

The winner will play either Mikhail Kukushkin or Gael Monfils in the last 16. Kukushkin served for the match in the 3rd set but Monfils has now taken it to a 5th set.

Live coverage of Murray's match on Eurosport 2.

PeeJay
21-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Just caught this on some website and it looks a hugely entertaining match - Murray's really quite good :greengrin

H18sry
21-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Murray wins 6-4 6-2 6-0 after a highly entertaining match and will play Mikhail Kukushkin in the next round :thumbsup:

FromTheCapital
21-01-2012, 11:54 AM
What a match! Llodra was no match for Murray's skill & power. Should win his next game but has to make sure he doesn't overlook him. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
21-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Very good performance by Murray today. Llodra didn't put up much resistance, if truth be told, but he looked solid throughout.

Monfils going out is another bonus for him as I'm sure at the start of the tournament, he'll have been happy at playing someone ranked 92nd in the world for a place in the quarter finals.

Kukushkin won't be an easy opponent for him and I expect him to face his toughest test yet. He's knocked out two seeded players already over five sets in the previous two rounds and will be feeling confident.

Murray also had a tough match against him a few weeks ago in a warm up event for the Australian Open.

It's an entirely different scenario in a Grand Slam though and this is the furthest that Kukushkin has ever managed to get to in a Grand Slam.

I fully expect Murray to go through, probably to face Tsonga.

Sir David Gray
21-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Tomorrow will see the first four names into the draw for the quarter finals.

Feliciano Lopez vs Rafael Nadal (approx. 1.30am UK time)
Tomas Berdych vs Nicolas Almagro (approx. 3am UK time)
Philipp Kohlschreiber vs Juan Martin Del Potro (approx. 5.30am UK time)
Bernard Tomic vs Roger Federer (8am UK time)

Don't expect any shocks there and I fully expect to see Nadal, Berdych, Del Potro and Federer progress.

Sir David Gray
22-01-2012, 04:30 PM
As predicted, Roger Federer, Juan Martin Del Potro, Rafael Nadal and Tomas Berdych are all through to the quarter finals in Melbourne.

The first three went through in straight sets, however Berdych had a tougher test in beating Nicolas Almagro. The Spaniard won the opening set and Berdych managed to win the next three, all on tiebreaks.

It also had a controversial ending as Berdych refused to shake hands with Almagro at the end of the match.

Expect to hear more on that in the next day or two.

Tomorrow, Andy Murray will attempt to reach the quarter finals in Australia, when he takes on Mikhail Kukushkin. It's going to be another late night for anyone in the UK wanting to watch it as he will be on at around 1.30-2am (UK time).

If he wins, he will play the winner of Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Kei Nishikori, which begins at around 1.30am (UK time).

Novak Djokovic takes on the last remaining Australian left in the draw, Lleyton Hewitt and that match will begin at around 10-10.30am (UK time).

The winner of that match will take on the winner of Richard Gasquet and David Ferrer, which will begin at approximately 3.30am (UK time).

Once again, I don't expect to see any shocks and I fully expect that half of the quarter final draw to be;

Murray vs Tsonga
Djokovic vs Ferrer

HibbyAndy
22-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Falkirk aken you have explained it mate but im thick as ****...So to make it clear...Is Andy playing tonight?? As in Monday morning?? Just so i can set my alarm, Cheers mate.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Indeed he is, after Ana Ivanovic's match, which is a nice wee bonus!

HibbyAndy
22-01-2012, 11:14 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ivanovic is lush on the eye but she is honkin to watch:agree:

Biggest bottle merchant going!,...Now give me Wozniacki any day off the week...Wee Rory's burd is well fit:agree::agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Ivanovic is playing the no.2 seed and Wimbledon winner Kvitova, so, enjoy watching her whilst you can!

New balls please! ;-)

Sir David Gray
23-01-2012, 12:43 AM

Should be on about 1.30am.

I won't be staying up for it, just off to bed just now so I'll catch up with it later today when the highlights are on at a half decent time.

Come on, Andy! :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-01-2012, 02:19 AM
Delighted to say it, but, what a non event this match is. Murray takes set 1 6-1. Won't take too long to get the win methinks!

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-01-2012, 02:40 AM
Set 2 to Murray 6 1 after 44 mins of the match.

Bed time for me!

HibbyAndy
23-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Murray of the court in less than an hour 6-1 6-1 1- 0 and the gadgey retires..He did have 2 5 setters so its taken its toll on him.

Watching Tsonga match right now and he looks like taking it to a 5th set so more time on court the better as Andy has the winner...Now if only someone could do a number on Djokovic!!.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Set 2 to Murray 6 1 after 44 mins of the match.

Bed time for me!
Got up this morning started watching the 3rd set, went to make a cuppa, came back through, match over.
A nice Brucie for Murray that!

Sir David Gray
23-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Fantastic outcome for Murray.

I gather it was boiling in Melbourne this morning so it was good that Murray only had to be out there for less than an hour.

Also a brilliant result for him in the other match with Nishikori beating Tsonga in five sets.

Obviously it's the quarter finals of a Grand Slam that we're getting into now so everyone that's made it this far is there on merit and you can't dismiss anyone but I think if you had asked Murray at the start of the tournament if he would have liked to have faced Kukushkin and Nishikori, instead of Monfils and Tsonga for a place in the semi finals, he would have bitten your hand off.

I really don't see Nishikori causing Murray any serious problems, although you never know.

Would be great if Ferrer could, at the very least, take Djokovic to a long five set match at the same time because if he does face Murray in the semis and he's fresh, I can't see him losing to Murray.

Lleyton Hewitt did really well to take a set off Djokovic earlier. After the first set ended 6-1, Hewitt could have folded but you've got to admire the determination that he has to never give up.

Tomorrow, we've got a potential classic as Federer takes on Del Potro in the early hours and Nadal plays Berdych at 8.30am.

Should be a good morning of action. :agree:

HibbyAndy
23-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Agree Falkirk...Need Djokovic to get taken as far as he can!!...Hewitt took a set of him tho and broke him a good few times:agree: Djokovic was defo vulnerable in the 3rd:agree: and 4th set but wasn't at his usual best.

If it is Andy and Novak in the semi's then hours on court will be taken into account, Andy has breezed through IMO Whilst Novak hasn't played his best BUT its Djokovic...Best player on the planet bar none!!! Ill be watching for sure:agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Interesting to see Murray is still roughly the same price to win the tournament as he was before it started.
Cannae see him winning it, but, just by his general demeanour I get the feeling Lendl will eventually make that little bit of improvement to Murray that could step him up to Grand Slam winning level.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Interesting to see Murray is still roughly the same price to win the tournament as he was before it started.
Cannae see him winning it, but, just by his general demeanour I get the feeling Lendl will eventually make that little bit of improvement to Murray that could step him up to Grand Slam winning level.

To be fair, I don't really see what has changed for Murray from before the start of the tournament and now.

With the best will in the world, he was always going to make the quarter finals, barring a major breakdown in either mind or body.

He's still probably going to have to beat Djokovic and then either Federer or Nadal (maybe Del Potro, which wouldn't be an easy task either) if he's going to lift the title on Sunday night.

The odds that actually do surprise me are Nadal's. I know he's had his fitness worries recently but the guy's got through all his matches so far without any problems whatsoever, hasn't even dropped a set yet.

I would never discount Rafael Nadal. The guy is just an unbelievable athlete and a great champion and I am surprised to see him as the 4th favourite.

Dashing Bob S
24-01-2012, 01:16 AM
To be fair, I don't really see what has changed for Murray from before the start of the tournament and now.

With the best will in the world, he was always going to make the quarter finals, barring a major breakdown in either mind or body.

He's still probably going to have to beat Djokovic and then either Federer or Nadal (maybe Del Potro, which wouldn't be an easy task either) if he's going to lift the title on Sunday night.

The odds that actually do surprise me are Nadal's. I know he's had his fitness worries recently but the guy's got through all his matches so far without any problems whatsoever, hasn't even dropped a set yet.

I would never discount Rafael Nadal. The guy is just an unbelievable athlete and a great champion and I am surprised to see him as the 4th favourite.

I fancy Nadal to win it.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2012, 01:27 AM
I fancy Nadal to win it.

Nothing would surprise me as far as Nadal's concerned, however I still feel Djokovic is the man to beat.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-01-2012, 08:08 AM
You are right about Murrays odds FH, a mate of mine said he was going to back Murray to win it before his first tie and told him he'd be as well waiting until the last 8.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Rafa's in a bit of bother right now against Tomas Berdych. He lost the 1st set on a tiebreak and was up a break in the 2nd set but Berdych has managed to break back. Nadal is currently 6-5 up on Berdych's serve.

No such problems for Roger Federer earlier on against Juan Martin Del Potro as he breezed through in straight sets.

He'll now play the winner of Nadal and Berdych in the semis.

Just a quick note on tomorrow's schedule and it's not great news for British viewers as Andy Murray's match against Kei Nishikori will be on at about 3.30am (UK time).

NIGHTMARE!!!

HibbyAndy
24-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Nadal takes the 2nd set tie break 7-6. Game on.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-01-2012, 11:38 AM
0330 start for Murray means I should see a bit of it as me and my old man are catching a flight to Lithuania @ 0700!

Sir David Gray
24-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Nadal takes the 2nd set tie break 7-6. Game on.

Nadal wins the third, 6-4.

He now leads two sets to one after almost 3.5 hours!

You've got to admire Rafa. He's an absolute machine! :agree:

0330 start for Murray means I should see a bit of it as me and my old man are catching a flight to Lithuania @ 0700!

Lucky you, I'll be in dream land at that time!

PS-I hope you're not one of those Qatari sheikhs that Alex Salmond was begging to go and meet Romanov and make him an offer to buy him out! :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-01-2012, 12:42 PM
We've got a few hundred quids worth of Litas to take with us. I don't know how he could refuse such a generous offer!

Sir David Gray
24-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Nadal wins 6-7 7-6 6-4 6-3 after almost 4 and a half hours.

Unreal!

Rafa vs Roger on Thursday in the semis!

Cannot wait! :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
24-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Your right FH Nadal is an absolute machine:agree:

Enjoy Hutchy :aok:.....Keep away fae the wummin they dinnae shave:greengrin

Listen tae Greg Rusedaki say 'Djkovic' In his Canadian accent, He exaggarates it a mullion percent ' Djjjjjjaaaaaaaaaakovic :hilarious

JimBHibees
24-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Would a Djokovic Murray if they advance to the semi be a 8.30 UK start on Friday?

Sir David Gray
24-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Would a Djokovic Murray if they advance to the semi be a 8.30 UK start on Friday?

Yes. :agree:

JimBHibees
24-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Yes. :agree:

Thanks

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Enjoy Hutchy :aok:.....Keep away fae the wummin they dinnae shave:greengrin
I must say, thats not been my experience on previous E European sojourns. Cannae see me finding out this time with my old man in tow though! Cheers though, I'm sure we'll find numerous alcohol related ways of passing the time!

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-01-2012, 10:00 PM

I'm losing the plot! we dinnae fly to Kaunus until Thurs! I read in The EN tonight that Csaba Lazlo is flying to Lithuania on Thurs, could be an interesting flight!

Sir David Gray
25-01-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm losing the plot! we dinnae fly to Kaunus until Thurs! I read in The EN tonight that Csaba Lazlo is flying to Lithuania on Thurs, could be an interesting flight!

So you'll be missing the Federer vs Nadal semi final then?

That's a sore one! :agree:

HibbyAndy
25-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Murray comfortably through to the semis with a straight sets victory 6-3 6-3 6-1.

Im really liking Andy's new found attitude to the game he controls himself brilliantly on court now in the sense he very rarely loses the rag or screams at his box, Lendl must play a huge part in this new routine.

Utterly convincing to watch but Djokovic potentially in the semis is an entirely different ball game.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Quite right Andy, I said that about Murray earlier in the thread.
Djokovic won 6-4 v Ferrer in set 1.
Djokovic wins set 2 7-6 after a tie break. A big missed chance for Ferrer.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Djokovic wins in straight sets.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2012, 11:40 AM
So you'll be missing the Federer vs Nadal semi final then?

That's a sore one! :agree:

We are flying back on Sunday morning so we'll miss the final too, cannae see us avoiding the score, especially if Murray manages to go all the way!

Sir David Gray
25-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Watched the first set with Djokovic today and he did play well, although he missed a lot of break point opportunities.

I gather Murray also played well but didn't serve very well.

That's something that is going to have to change on Friday if he's going to have a chance of beating Djokovic.

Personally don't see Murray winning but hope I'm wrong.

Can't wait for tomorrow with Nadal and Federer!!

JimBHibees
25-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Murray comfortably through to the semis with a straight sets victory 6-3 6-3 6-1.

Im really liking Andy's new found attitude to the game he controls himself brilliantly on court now in the sense he very rarely loses the rag or screams at his box, Lendl must play a huge part in this new routine.

Utterly convincing to watch but Djokovic potentially in the semis is an entirely different ball game.

Yep agree, though lets see how calm he is if Djokovic is running him ragged. :greengrin

Actually think Murray will beat him on Friday though he will have to play out of his skin to do it.

Dashing Bob S
25-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Having thought a bit about this last night, I probably was being a bit kind to Murray. :agree:

I now retract what I said about him being on an all-time list of greatest players.

However, what I will say is that I do honestly believe that Murray's talents are not given the full respect that they deserve by people in Britain, just because he's yet to win a Grand Slam and what people fail to appreciate is that he is currently playing in one of the toughest periods of men's tennis for many years. He is a world class tennis player and I don't think that should be forgotten about or ignored just because he's yet to win a big one.

Agree that he's the best British male player, probably since Fred Perry. He makes Henman and the other pretenders seem very limited.

--------
25-01-2012, 03:02 PM

This is where Lendl may be able to sort some things out for him.

IIRC, Lendl took a while to win his first major, largely because he was playing at the same time as Connors, McEnroe and Borg, wasn't he?

And he got the rep of being a 'choker' but he dug in and persevered and got there. Took him about 5 years from breaking through at top level to winning his first Grand Slam, but his record after that was just awesome. Meticulous - some would say obsessive - in his preparation for matches.

Didn't he get the guy who laid down the top court at Flushing Meadow to build him a replica at his home in the US to practise on?

Sir David Gray
25-01-2012, 04:06 PM
This is where Lendl may be able to sort some things out for him.

IIRC, Lendl took a while to win his first major, largely because he was playing at the same time as Connors, McEnroe and Borg, wasn't he?

And he got the rep of being a 'choker' but he dug in and persevered and got there. Took him about 5 years from breaking through at top level to winning his first Grand Slam, but his record after that was just awesome. Meticulous - some would say obsessive - in his preparation for matches.

Didn't he get the guy who laid down the top court at Flushing Meadow to build him a replica at his home in the US to practise on?

Lendl lost the first four finals that he got into, before finally winning the 1984 French Open, at the age of 24 (the same age that Murray is now).

Murray has currently lost the first three finals that he's made so the similarities between the two of them is quite amazing.

Lendl went on to win 8 Majors and only Roger Federer, Pete Sampras, Bjorn Borg and Rafael Nadal have won more than that since the beginning of the Open Era.

If Murray even wins half that number, he'll be doing well.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2012, 04:43 PM
If Murray serves like he did today against Djokovic he will get humped.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Federer v Nadal just starting now.

Really think this could be a classic!

Sir David Gray
26-01-2012, 09:46 AM
First set goes to Federer on a tiebreak. He started really well and broke Nadal in the 2nd game but Nadal came back at him before Federer finally took it on the breaker.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Second set to Nadal, 6-2 after a brief interruption for the Australia Day fireworks.

The match is definitely changing.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Nadal takes the 3rd set on another tiebreak.

Federer currently 4-3 up in the 4th.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Nadal wins 6-7 6-2 7-6 6-4 in around 3 and a half hours.

Brilliant performance by Rafa but it's another wasted chance for Federer. I really thought he would win today but Nadal is just such a wonderful competitor.

Can't wait for tomorrow now!

--------
26-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Nadal takes the 3rd set on another tiebreak.

Federer currently 4-3 up in the 4th.

Federer gone.

Now all Andy has to do is beat Djokovic, then Nadal.

Easy. :cb

Dashing Bob S
26-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Federer gone.

Now all Andy has to do is beat Djokovic, then Nadal.

Easy. :cb

If Tom Soares was in it he'd win it.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Players are on court now and warm up about to begin.

Come on Andy, got everything crossed for you!

Just hope he leaves absolutely everything on the court and, regardless of whether he wins or loses, he must come off knowing that he's done his absolute best.

:pray:

PeeJay
27-01-2012, 08:42 AM

Just hope he leaves absolutely everything on the court and, regardless of whether he wins or loses, he must come off knowing that he's done his absolute best.

Hope Murray wins - it would be great for him and his future career to finally pull off a GS title...:thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Important hold there from Murray from 15-40 down.

Djokovic is playing so well though but Murray did well to win it.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 09:07 AM
First blood to Djokovic as he breaks to go 3-1 up.

Murray drops serve on a double fault.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 09:15 AM
But Murray breaks straight back!

He's serving at 2-3.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Horrible game by Murray.

4-2 Djokovic.

PeeJay
27-01-2012, 09:23 AM
5-2 - early days yet, I guess, but 1st set looks lost...

hibsbollah
27-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Question for stattos...and Falkirk :greengrin

When was the last grand slam final not involving one of Nadal Federer or Djokavic?

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 09:32 AM
First set Djokovic, 6-3.

Not looking good so far.

Sylar
27-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Willing to be he'll do him in straight sets.

Murray's just not good enough to handle Djokovic on top form.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Question for stattos...and Falkirk :greengrin

When was the last grand slam final not involving one of Nadal Federer or Djokavic?

2005 Australian Open - Marat Safin beat Lleyton Hewitt.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Massive game for Murray to win. I've got a feeling that MIGHT be a turning point in this match.

PeeJay
27-01-2012, 10:08 AM
He seems to have chased his demons away for the time being... is it just me or is there not really much between these guys apart from perhaps better nerves??

Steve-O
27-01-2012, 10:09 AM
This is more like it!

legends of 73
27-01-2012, 10:15 AM
great game to win keep the heid and the sets yours:agree:

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 10:16 AM
4-2 Murray!

But he starts with a double fault!

CallumLaidlaw
27-01-2012, 10:21 AM
After losing that first set, Murray looked like he was gonna crumble, but played some brilliant shots to win 4 in a row. Normally when his head goes down, he struggles to get it back up again, so hopefully this is the Lendl-factor they keep talking about.

Just got broken while I was typing that, but just needs to keep plugging away

legends of 73
27-01-2012, 10:21 AM
:grr:he threw that away

hibsbollah
27-01-2012, 10:30 AM
2005 Australian Open - Marat Safin beat Lleyton Hewitt.

Good work :greengrin

hibbysam
:grr:he threw that away

Breaks straight back now 5-3 in the second! Djokovic looks to be moving very gingerly!

PeeJay
Murray breaks again - shaping up to be some game here?

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Second set Murray, 6-3!

Game on!

His level has increased so much since he broke to go to 2-2.

PeeJay
27-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Djokavic looks somehwat puggled as he comes off does he not?

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Djokavic looks somehwat puggled as he comes off does he not?

Oldest trick in the book, Djokovic is the master at it.

He's fine.

HibbyAndy
27-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I genuinely fancy Andy to beat Djokovic.

heretoday
27-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Looks like Andy has him. Famous last words.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Massive hold for Djokovic.

18 minutes for one game.

Unbelievable!

legends of 73
27-01-2012, 10:59 AM
good hold of serve from murray

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Murray breaks to go 2-1 up!

legends of 73
27-01-2012, 11:03 AM
great break:thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Djokovic breaks straight back!

CallumLaidlaw
27-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Crazy game this. Service game means nothing today!!

Murray needs to hold his nerve for the next couple of games!

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Good hold from Djokovic.

Murray must hold his own serve now to stay in the 3rd set.

CallumLaidlaw
27-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Done really well to save the 3 break/set points. Let's get him broken now!!!

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Murray holds AND saves 3 set points.

How important might that be?

5-5.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Murray breaks and will serve for the 3rd set.

What a turnaround!

PeeJay
27-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Murray breaks ! Serving for his 2nd set - Djokovic is not so puggled as I thought though...

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Djokovic breaks back. It's into a tiebreak.

Betty Boop
27-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Fantastic match !

Pretty Boy
27-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Even if Murray loses this it has been a fantastic match. He has proven beyond all doubt today that he belongs with the big boys.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Murray takes the tiebreak and goes one set away from the final!

Come on Andy, nearly there!

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 12:08 PM
That set alone took almost 90 minutes.

That's insane!

And football players say they're tired after playing on a Saturday then a Wednesday...!

Sylar
27-01-2012, 12:11 PM
That set alone took almost 90 minutes.

That's insane!

And football players say they're tired after playing on a Saturday then a Wednesday...!

Some football players struggle to do a full 90, let alone over both games.

The constant running and work that these guys have put in is very impressive indeed.

Djokovic breaks in the first game.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Second break for Djokovic.

Looks like it's going to a 5th.

PeeJay
27-01-2012, 12:17 PM
3-0 down - Murray's concentration on the wane again?

Pretty Boy
27-01-2012, 12:24 PM
All of a sudden Murray looks lost.

Nerves? Fatigue? Lack of concentration? Or bottled it?

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 12:31 PM
4th set to Djokovic in double quick time.

It's now a 1 set shootout for a place in the final.

Come on Andy!

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Big hold again from Murray saving break points.

Another long game, lasting about 10 minutes.

2-2.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Djokovic breaks to go 4-2 up.

That could be that, I feel.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Djokovic one game away now.

Hard lines, Andy. Good effort once again, just not quite enough.

I'm_cabbaged
27-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Well, any score?

PeeJay
27-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Murray breaks back - not over yet!

I'm_cabbaged
27-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Please...... :)

EskbankHibby
27-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Not over yet! Murray breaks back 4-5 in the 5th.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Andy's not finished just yet!

He breaks back and will serve at 4-5!

Come on!

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 01:21 PM
5-5 now!

Fantastic attitude from Murray!

Pretty Boy
27-01-2012, 01:24 PM
5-5 now!

Fantastic attitude from Murray!

Definite attitude change, 6 months ago the towel would have been in by now.

I.just feel for the winner of this since Nadal will have had about 30 hours more rest by the time they finish and fulfil other commitments. Shocking organisation really.

pacorosssco
27-01-2012, 01:29 PM
unbelievable game. im a wreck. best game hes played at this level

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 01:31 PM
This is one of the greatest matches I've ever watched.

They'll be talking about this match in 30 years' time.

Djokovic finally holds for 6-5.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Djokovic wins 6-3 3-6 6-7 6-1 7-5 after nearly 5 hours and will be in the final to play Nadal.

Fantastic tennis match, unbelievable effort from both players.

There was no loser today.

easty
27-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Djokovic wins 6-3 3-6 6-7 6-1 7-5 after nearly 5 hours and will be in the final to play Nadal.

Fantastic tennis match, unbelievable effort from both players.

There was no loser today.

Well.....that's not quite true.

PeeJay
27-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Murray loses - disappointing end after such an up and down struggle for him in a great match of tennis

Pretty Boy
27-01-2012, 01:41 PM
What a match.

I.hope the media go easy on Murray, he didn't bottle it or anything else today. He matched the world number one for most of the match and has given himself a great platform for the rest of the year.

That match would have graced any era and deserved to be a final

I'll repeat again though it is a total joke that Nadal has such an advantage of an extra days rest, amateurish organisation.

Congratulations to Djokovic.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Well.....that's not quite true.

Obviously he did lose the match but the way Murray played today would have won him 99 matches out of 100. That really was special stuff.

Bishop Hibee
27-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Tennis is the best one on one sport in the world in my opinion.

Fantastic game and shows what a true champion Djokovic is. If Murray can play at that level this season he will reach grand slam finals. Whether he can clear the final hurdle will be to a large degree down to what Lendl can do with him. Looks promising so far.

Steve-O
27-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Murray to win a major, Hibs to win Scottish Cup, Scotland to qualify for World Cup.

Will any of the above happen in my lifetime? I'm starting to think not!

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 01:52 PM
What a match.

I.hope the media go easy on Murray, he didn't bottle it or anything else today. He matched the world number one for most of the match and has given himself a great platform for the rest of the year.

That match would have graced any era and deserved to be a final

I'll repeat again though it is a total joke that Nadal has such an advantage of an extra days rest, amateurish organisation.

Congratulations to Djokovic.

Yep. I don't know why they couldn't have had both semis today. One in the afternoon then the second one at night.

I realise this is a big statement to make but if Novak Djokovic somehow manages to win on Sunday, I think it will rank up there as one of the greatest sporting achievements of all time, given what's just happened today.

Sylar
27-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Be interesting to hear what Murray has to say about the 4th set, as he quite clearly gave it up very early.

Superb effort from him overall, but he very much threw it away in the 4th.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Be interesting to hear what Murray has to say about the 4th set, as he quite clearly gave it up very early.

Superb effort from him overall, but he very much threw it away in the 4th.

When he went 2 breaks down at 3-0, he clearly switched his concentration onto winning the 5th set.

A lot of players do it and I can understand the reasoning behind it in that it helps to conserve energy. It is a risky strategy though.

Sylar
27-01-2012, 02:14 PM
When he went 2 breaks down at 3-0, he clearly switched his concentration onto winning the 5th set.

A lot of players do it and I can understand the reasoning behind it in that it helps to conserve energy. It is a risky strategy though.

I can't help but wonder if he went into the set with the same complacent attitude that the commentary team had clearly developed, that Djokovic would be deflated and wouldn't come out all guns blazing, due to both fatigue and disappointment at losing the 3rd.

Regardless, he was very much caught on the back foot and irrespective as to what was behind the collapse, credit has to go to Djokovic for battering back, as a lot of players WOULD have gone into the 4th set on a downer and lost it there and then.

It took some amount of mental strength from the Serb, which was perhaps the difference between the two, as physically, Murray matched him well.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 02:25 PM
I can't help but wonder if he went into the set with the same complacent attitude that the commentary team had clearly developed, that Djokovic would be deflated and wouldn't come out all guns blazing, due to both fatigue and disappointment at losing the 3rd.

Regardless, he was very much caught on the back foot and irrespective as to what was behind the collapse, credit has to go to Djokovic for battering back, as a lot of players WOULD have gone into the 4th set on a downer and lost it there and then.

It took some amount of mental strength from the Serb, which was perhaps the difference between the two, as physically, Murray matched him well.

Not too sure about that to be honest as Murray showed a lot of character to battle back from 2-5 down in the decider.

I think the difference today was just that Djokovic played that little bit better than Murray today. It's tiny margins that we're talking about here.

PatHead
27-01-2012, 04:52 PM

I didn't get to see the game but heard bits on the radio. It was funny reading all the posts after the match and the swings of the posters.

Regarding the bit in bold you couldn't have been disappointed in his application. Hope he doesn't lose it like last year after the Australian Open and manages to build on this. So unlucky to be up against an all time great.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 09:11 PM
I didn't get to see the game but heard bits on the radio. It was funny reading all the posts after the match and the swings of the posters.

Regarding the bit in bold you couldn't have been disappointed in his application. Hope he doesn't lose it like last year after the Australian Open and manages to build on this. So unlucky to be up against an all time great.

One thing that's actually really impressed me is the way he has spoken after the defeat.

After previous losses in big matches, he's always been quite pessimistic and down about things but today, from the interview I heard anyway, he's seemed quite upbeat and happy with the way he went about the match and hopeful of getting the better of Djokovic when they next play.

I know he'll be disappointed that he won't be in the final on Sunday and with the fact that he came so close today but he shouldn't be too hard on himself. He played a great match and was just unlucky that he came up against an even greater opponent.

I'm sure that with the work he's obviously putting in with Ivan Lendl, he'll only get better and 2012 could be a really brilliant year for him.

I clearly have no way of knowing this for sure but I really don't see him going on a three or four month slump like he did last year after the Australian Open.

I hope not anyway!

heretoday
27-01-2012, 10:58 PM
One thing that's actually really impressed me is the way he has spoken after the defeat.

After previous losses in big matches, he's always been quite pessimistic and down about things but today, from the interview I heard anyway, he's seemed quite upbeat and happy with the way he went about the match and hopeful of getting the better of Djokovic when they next play.

I know he'll be disappointed that he won't be in the final on Sunday and with the fact that he came so close today but he shouldn't be too hard on himself. He played a great match and was just unlucky that he came up against an even greater opponent.

I'm sure that with the work he's obviously putting in with Ivan Lendl, he'll only get better and 2012 could be a really brilliant year for him.

I clearly have no way of knowing this for sure but I really don't see him going on a three or four month slump like he did last year after the Australian Open.

I hope not anyway!

I quite agree. Djokovic definitely won't be relishing their next slam meeting. There were real signs that Andy is getting mentally stronger and more disciplined instead of going all floppy and chucking it away as so often in the past.

I get so bored with the drones who say:"He hasn't got the guts to win against the top three. He's a loser etc etc." Rubbish.

PatHead
27-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Good to hear. Lets hope we soon see a Hibby holding a major trophy soon!

Sir David Gray
27-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Anyone planning on watching the women's final should be aware that it will be a "scream-fest" between Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka.

It's bad enough when there's one "screamer" playing but they're both as bad as each other in that department and it'll be unbearable.

I think it might be a good match, with the winner becoming world number one, but I'll be giving it a miss.

Couldn't bear hearing constant screaming for about two hours.

Hibs Class
28-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Anyone planning on watching the women's final should be aware that it will be a "scream-fest" between Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka.

It's bad enough when there's one "screamer" playing but they're both as bad as each other in that department and it'll be unbearable.

I think it might be a good match, with the winner becoming world number one, but I'll be giving it a miss.

Couldn't bear hearing constant screaming for about two hours.

You learn to put up with it after a while :greengrin

Sir David Gray
28-01-2012, 08:17 PM
You learn to put up with it after a while :greengrin

I only watched a few points this morning and that was enough for me.

The WTA really needs to do something about this because that was NOT spectator friendly at all.

Which is a shame because Azarenka played some really good tennis and deserves to be number one but if more young females coming through are going to be following the lead of her and Sharapova and screaming all the time then women's tennis is really going to suffer because people just aren't going to watch it.

By all means, make a bit of a noise when going for a really tough shot as you put a bit of effort into making one final ball to win a rally but all this loud screeching after every single shot is totally unnecessary and pathetic.

Sylar
29-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Still on serve at 2-2 in the first.

Quite dull thus far.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 09:11 AM
First blood to Rafa - he breaks to go 3-2 up.

If Nadal takes the opening set, will Djokovic be physically able to last 4 or even 5 sets, after his marathon against Murray?

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Important hold for Nadal there as Djokovic had a couple of break back points.

Nadal leads 4-2.

Sylar
29-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Good reply from Djokovic, winning 3 in a row to lead 5-4

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Djokovic breaks and is now 5-4 up on Nadal's serve.

They've been playing for an hour already and they've only played 9 games.

If this goes to 5 sets, we could be looking at a 5 and a half hour match!

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 10:07 AM
First set goes the way of Nadal as he wins it 7-5 after breaking at 5-5.

How will Djokovic respond? Can he come back like he did against Murray?

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 10:27 AM
A wee interesting stat is that Nadal has never lost a Grand Slam final after winning the opening set and also that Djokovic has come back before from a set down to win a major.

He beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the 2008 Australian Open final after losing the opener.

It's a bit different doing it against Nadal though.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Massive opportunity missed for Djokovic as Nadal saves 2 set points and it's back on serve in the 2nd set with Nadal serving at 4-5.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Djokovic wins the 2nd set 6-4 after Nadal double faults on set point.

It's all square after about 2 and a half hours.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Djokovic takes the third set 6-2 and is now in total control of this match.

Nadal is currently serving at 2-3 in 4th set as the match approaches 4 hours.

Will a Grand Slam final be going into a 5th set for the first time in more than two years?

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 12:52 PM
What a time to have a rain delay!

Nadal faces 3 break points at 0-40 down and Djokovic looking as if he was going to be serving for the match.

However, back comes Rafa with some massive shots and eventually hangs on to his serve and it's now 4-4 on Djokovic's serve.

But a few moments later and the heavens open and they're currently having about a 20 minute delay whilst the roof is closed and the court is dried.

You really have to love and admire Rafael Nadal. He is such an amazing competitor, it's been said so many times but he's just a fantastic athlete and has an unbelievable desire to win tennis matches.

He must be a dream to work with.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 01:25 PM
I can't find the words to describe this match any more so I'm not even going to try.

It's just unbelievable, sport does not get any better than this.

Rafael Nadal is a genius.

I don't care who wins from here on in, it's just been an absolute joy to watch this.

Nearly five hours so far!

Betty Boop
29-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Two great athletes going toe to toe. Fabuulous entertainment !

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Now officially the longest match in the history of the Australian Open - 5 hours 17 minutes and still counting. It's now past 1am on Monday morning in Melbourne and some people in this crowd will have work in a few hours' time! :greengrin

Nadal was a break up at 4-2 and had an easy volley to put away when he was two points away from a 5-2 lead. However he put it wide and Djokovic went on to break him.

Djokovic now serving at 3-4 in the final set.

Remember, there is NO tiebreak in this set so it could finish at any time!

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Djokovic breaks to go 6-5 up and will now serve for the title after nearly 6 hours!

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Djokovic wins 5-7 6-4 6-2 6-7 7-5 after almost 6 hours of an amazing tennis match.

This match will be spoken about for years to come.

Absolutely fantastic.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Like I said the other day after he beat Murray, that win for Djokovic today has to be considered the greatest sporting achievement of all time.

Hibs Class
29-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Excellent entertainment - just a shame there had to be a loser

Betty Boop
29-01-2012, 07:08 PM
How they could keep that level of performance up for 5hrs and 53mins is truly mind blowiing.

sambajustice
29-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Djokovic wins 5-7 6-4 6-2 6-7 7-5 after almost 6 hours of an amazing tennis match.

This match will be spoken about for years to come.

Absolutely fantastic.

:greengrin Did you go and crack one off after every post you made about that match??? :greengrin

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 10:23 PM
:greengrin Did you go and crack one off after every post you made about that match??? :greengrin

Awesome tennis match that will really live long in the memory for everyone that had the privilege of watching it.

It was a special sporting occasion that can only come from a men's Grand Slam tennis match. When tennis is played at that sort of level and at that sort of intensity, there really is no other sport like it.

CallumLaidlaw
29-01-2012, 10:52 PM
I watched the whole 6 hours and although they both showed tremendous dig and there was some great shots, I honestly enjoyed the Murray-djokovic match on Friday more, and didn't think it touched the fed-nadal final from a couple of years ago.

I agree with Murray tho. I definitely think he's getting closer to the top 3.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I watched the whole 6 hours and although they both showed tremendous dig and there was some great shots, I honestly enjoyed the Murray-djokovic match on Friday more, and didn't think it touched the fed-nadal final from a couple of years ago.

I agree with Murray tho. I definitely think he's getting closer to the top 3.

So did I, but that was probably mainly down to the fact that I had a personal interest in that match and I'm sure you were the same in that we both wanted Murray to win.

They were both amazing tennis matches, although I think it's always a bit more special when it's a final and there's a title on the line.

JimBHibees
30-01-2012, 11:08 AM
I only watched a few points this morning and that was enough for me.

The WTA really needs to do something about this because that was NOT spectator friendly at all.

Which is a shame because Azarenka played some really good tennis and deserves to be number one but if more young females coming through are going to be following the lead of her and Sharapova and screaming all the time then women's tennis is really going to suffer because people just aren't going to watch it.

By all means, make a bit of a noise when going for a really tough shot as you put a bit of effort into making one final ball to win a rally but all this loud screeching after every single shot is totally unnecessary and pathetic.

Totally agree and I didnt watch any of it because of it. It is an absolute joke that this has been allowed to happen in Women's tennis and should be sorted out. Azarenka has a double grunt with the second near when opponent is about to return the ball so is obviously designed to put off the opponent.

As for Murray thought he was brilliant and the game was exactly what he need to convince himself he can compete with the best at a grand slam over a 5 set match irrespective of whether he won or not.

I dont want to raise a cynical side to this however I am a little sceptical of how fit Djokovic appears to be in terms of recovery. To have played Murray and then Nadal and shown next to no signs of fatigue was a little surprising to me. Maybe totally unfair however his improvement in the last year or so has been absolutely staggering IMO.

lapsedhibee
30-01-2012, 02:19 PM
I dont want to raise a cynical side to this however I am a little sceptical of how fit Djokovic appears to be in terms of recovery. To have played Murray and then Nadal and shown next to no signs of fatigue was a little surprising to me.

Or, to put it another way, you do want to raise a cynical side to this. :wink:

Sir David Gray
30-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Totally agree and I didnt watch any of it because of it. It is an absolute joke that this has been allowed to happen in Women's tennis and should be sorted out. Azarenka has a double grunt with the second near when opponent is about to return the ball so is obviously designed to put off the opponent.

As for Murray thought he was brilliant and the game was exactly what he need to convince himself he can compete with the best at a grand slam over a 5 set match irrespective of whether he won or not.

I dont want to raise a cynical side to this however I am a little sceptical of how fit Djokovic appears to be in terms of recovery. To have played Murray and then Nadal and shown next to no signs of fatigue was a little surprising to me. Maybe totally unfair however his improvement in the last year or so has been absolutely staggering IMO.

I really don't believe that there is anything sinister going on with any of these players. Djokovic will have been tested for drugs and other substances on several occasions, right the way through this tournament and if anything had shown up, he would have been immediately suspended from all forms of competitive tennis pending a full investigation and it would probably lead to a ban.

I just honestly believe that the players who are currently at the top of men's tennis are just fantastic athletes, amongst the fittest sportsmen in the world, in my opinion, and they are just so dedicated to their sport.

Don't forget that Andy Murray was very close to winning his semi final on Friday and that was after almost 5 hours.

And on Sunday, Nadal looked as if he was still able to stick with Djokovic during rallies, even during the latter stages of the match.

These guys are just unbelievably fit and I think it's a bit unfair to question the integrity of one player when all four of them are quite capable of playing back-to-back matches in the space of 2 days, lasting four or five hours each

I actually believe that Djokovic's new diet (I think it's gluten-free) is contributing to his success at the moment.

JimBHibees
31-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Or, to put it another way, you do want to raise a cynical side to this. :wink:

:greengrin

JimBHibees
31-01-2012, 01:18 PM
I really don't believe that there is anything sinister going on with any of these players. Djokovic will have been tested for drugs and other substances on several occasions, right the way through this tournament and if anything had shown up, he would have been immediately suspended from all forms of competitive tennis pending a full investigation and it would probably lead to a ban.

I just honestly believe that the players who are currently at the top of men's tennis are just fantastic athletes, amongst the fittest sportsmen in the world, in my opinion, and they are just so dedicated to their sport.

Don't forget that Andy Murray was very close to winning his semi final on Friday and that was after almost 5 hours.

And on Sunday, Nadal looked as if he was still able to stick with Djokovic during rallies, even during the latter stages of the match.

These guys are just unbelievably fit and I think it's a bit unfair to question the integrity of one player when all four of them are quite capable of playing back-to-back matches in the space of 2 days, lasting four or five hours each

I actually believe that Djokovic's new diet (I think it's gluten-free) is contributing to his success at the moment.

Hear what you are saying however just find his extraordinary improvement both in terms of play and particularly stamina and recovery startling. Players coaches etc are more than capable of taking performance enhancing substances if they want to and to avoid detection.