PDA

View Full Version : Kindle free books and payment query

lyonhibs
04-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I've just got one of these nifty wee things for Christmas. A couple of questions I have:

- Does anyone have any good free books to recommend. I can find a lot of "classics" a la Dickens but any other favourites folk have would be welcome.

Also, I got a gift voucher with it, and would like to pay for some books with it. However, the Kindle is automatically set up to charge the books to the account linked to me Amazon account. The Kindle appears to have "1 click" payment automatically set-up, so I only have "Buy" as an option, and no sort of "Use gift voucher" option.

Any advice?? Do I need to do something to my Amazon account on the PC? Can Kindle books be bought via your Amazon account on the PC and then downloaded to the Kindle associated with that Amazon account?

Cheers

Hibrandenburg
04-01-2012, 10:21 PM
I've just got one of these nifty wee things for Christmas. A couple of questions I have:

- Does anyone have any good free books to recommend. I can find a lot of "classics" a la Dickens but any other favourites folk have would be welcome.

Also, I got a gift voucher with it, and would like to pay for some books with it. However, the Kindle is automatically set up to charge the books to the account linked to me Amazon account. The Kindle appears to have "1 click" payment automatically set-up, so I only have "Buy" as an option, and no sort of "Use gift voucher" option.

Any advice?? Do I need to do something to my Amazon account on the PC? Can Kindle books be bought via your Amazon account on the PC and then downloaded to the Kindle associated with that Amazon account?

Cheers

Join free books for kindle on facebook. They suggest about 100 books a week for free.

Jay
04-01-2012, 10:23 PM
We just googled free kindle books and found loads.

virtualhibby
04-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Add the gift vouchers to your amazon account on your PC (click on gift certificates and then apply to your account) then when you buy a book on your kindle it will use the credit appkied to your account from the gift cert.

Paul

Twa Cairpets
04-01-2012, 11:01 PM

Cheers

Some of the free books can be frustrating in that they've been poorly formatted for the Kindle, but hey, they're free.

Depends what floats your boat but South: the story of the 1914-1917 Arctic expedition by Ernest Shackleton is one of the most astonishing stories I've ever read, and its true.

lyonhibs
04-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Some of the free books can be frustrating in that they've been poorly formatted for the Kindle, but hey, they're free.

Depends what floats your boat but South: the story of the 1914-1917 Arctic expedition by Ernest Shackleton is one of the most astonishing stories I've ever read, and its true.

Our boats appear to be - as one might say - similary floated. I've got that one downloaded.

I could easily have taken 2 secs to Google the gift voucher thing - Now got £30 to play with and signed up to the Facebook group.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Beefster
05-01-2012, 08:26 AM
You can find most popular books in .mobi format somewhere online. A Google search usually does the trick.

GlesgaeHibby
05-01-2012, 09:02 AM

I've downloaded that one, looking forward to it. Will get round to it after finishing another Lee Child book, and God is not Great by Hitchens.

easty
05-01-2012, 09:20 AM
I've downloaded that one, looking forward to it. Will get round to it after finishing another Lee Child book, and God is not Great by Hitchens.

I'm currently reading Lee Childs Worth Dying For. Cannae beat a bit of Reacher justice! Tom Cruise to play him in film is ridiculous.

GlesgaeHibby
05-01-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm currently reading Lee Childs Worth Dying For. Cannae beat a bit of Reacher justice! Tom Cruise to play him in film is ridiculous.

Totally agree. I would have preferred Idris Elba (I realise Reacher isn't black, but Elba would be a great Reacher that aside IMO) or somebody of similar physical stature to have played Reacher.

alhibby
05-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Get any free ebook in any format and download http://calibre-ebook.com/, this will convert and send to your kindle via pc

Jonnyboy
05-01-2012, 09:46 PM

Whoever did the casting for that needs their eyes and head examined :confused:

Now if it was Ronnie Corbett's life story ..........

easty
05-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Totally agree. I would have preferred Idris Elba (I realise Reacher isn't black, but Elba would be a great Reacher that aside IMO) or somebody of similar physical stature to have played Reacher.

I would have thought someone like Sam Worthington, or maybe the guy who played Dexter, would be pretty good.

The_Exile
06-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Tom Cruise as Reacher is a strange one, Reacher is supposed to be about 6,7 and built like a brick ****house, rugged ex special forces/army type dude, although Lee Childs himself has said he's fully behind the idea........so would I be Lee........$$$$$ CHA CHING $$$$$!!!

For anyone who hasn't read a Jack Reacher book, start with 'The Killing Floor', superb book, 1st in the series too.

I follow @kindleuk on twitter and they sometimes tweet the odd gem at a low price, worth checking out IMO.

easty
06-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Tom Cruise as Reacher is a strange one, Reacher is supposed to be about 6,7 and built like a brick ****house, rugged ex special forces/army type dude, although Lee Childs himself has said he's fully behind the idea........so would I be Lee........$$$$$ CHA CHING $$$$$!!!

For anyone who hasn't read a Jack Reacher book, start with 'The Killing Floor', superb book, 1st in the series too.

I follow @kindleuk on twitter and they sometimes tweet the odd gem at a low price, worth checking out IMO.

I really hope that Tom Cruise doesn't try to turn Reacher into a James Bourne type. I don't want to see a slick karate-esque Reacher, I want a dark dirty but hard as **** Reacher.