PDA

View Full Version : Chippy sauce

LancashireHibby
29-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Probably the high point of going to the game last night was going to Giuliano's at the top of Leith Walk (opposite the Playhouse) for a spring roll supper with salt & sauce. I know it's probably been asked on here before, but has anyone got the definitive recipe for chippy sauce?

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-12-2011, 09:12 PM
If you are still up here a lot of chippies sell it in bottles. The Clamshell at The Tron certainly does.

LancashireHibby
29-12-2011, 09:19 PM
If you are still up here a lot of chippies sell it in bottles. The Clamshell at The Tron certainly does.

Back home now but will keep an eye out if anywhere is open when I'm up for the Hearts & St Johnstone games in the next few weeks, cheers Hutchy.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Search for a thread called "Edinburgh Chippy Sauce" in The Dugout - can't post a link via my phone.

Aaron
30-12-2011, 09:16 PM
http://www.chippysauce.co.uk/

.Sean.
30-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Isn't it just regular brown sauce laced with vinegar and water?

HH81
31-12-2011, 04:50 AM
Isn't it just regular brown sauce laced with vinegar and water?

I thought that last time I had it, brown sauce with added vinegar. My mate liked it loads and talked about it for about 3 months after having :confused:

BroxburnHibee
31-12-2011, 08:20 AM
We do a chip shop offer at work quite a lot.

Brown sauce (most brown sauces work well) - 500ml
Distilled vinegar - 50ml
Water - 50ml
Wee bit of salt

That will get you in the ball park, but just a bit trial and error (add a bit more vinegar) and you'll get it pretty close to the chippy stuff :greengrin

Sodje_18
03-01-2012, 02:06 PM
I'd heard it was just gold star brown sauce with added water to your liking

Hillsidehibby
03-01-2012, 02:16 PM
A spring roll supper is just wrong! :wink:

s.a.m
03-01-2012, 02:21 PM
You can buy it in Sainsburys in Edinburgh (or at least you can in the Murrayfield/Gorgie branch). I'm looking at a bottle I bought for my other half (I'm a west coast salt and vinegar person, myself). It's Gold Star Chip Shop Brown Sauce.

[I'm looking also at the label on a bottle of HP. They're a bit different; HP has tomatoes, malt vinegar and molasses as the first 3 ingredients, and Gold Star has water, wheatflour and acetic acid. Although the Gold Star has artificial sweetener instead of HP Fructose-Glucose Syrup - which may make it a lighter option for your haggis supper :greengrin]

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2012, 04:26 PM
It's ******, how you can enjoy anything drowned in that muck is totally beyond me!

Pretty Boy
03-01-2012, 04:39 PM
It's ******, how you can enjoy anything drowned in that muck is totally beyond me!

Non Edinburgh folk just dinnae ken what's gaun oan when it comes to.chippies.

My girlfriend is also afflicted with being English and she doesn't get choppy sauce either. I just tell her coming from a country that serves cod as the standard fish in a fish supper and pours gravy on chips isn't entitled to an opinion.

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2012, 06:53 PM

My girlfriend is also afflicted with being English and she doesn't get choppy sauce either. I just tell her coming from a country that serves cod as the standard fish in a fish supper and pours gravy on chips isn't entitled to an opinion.

Right back at yer with a country that deep fries mars bars, pizza's, pies WTF! and will put batter on just about everthing they serve..........your opinion counts for **** all :greengrin

Nowt wrong with gravy lad..................Northern Lads love gravy, and while we're on the subject: Supper/Single WTF, I was right confused many years ago during my early days when asked if I wanted a supper at lunchtime, nah too early mate was my reply. :na na:

.Sean.
03-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Chippy sauce is barry. Only second to a tray of chips drowned in curry sauce topped with cheese.

HH81
03-01-2012, 07:55 PM

Oi, chips and gravy is class. Don't mock it until you try it!

lyonhibs
05-01-2012, 07:21 PM

:agree: :agree:

Salt and vinegar gives me the boak - make being a student in Glasgow a bit of a challenge. Still remember the shock when the chippie wench in Glasgow asked me if I wanted "salt and vinegar" on my chips!!

Chips and gravy sounds even worse. I've got mates at work who lather mayonnaise on chips as well :confused:

Chippy sauce and salt, or just salt, or - at a push - Heinz Tomato Ketchup. That's yer lot.

Scouse Hibee
05-01-2012, 10:21 PM

Salt and vinegar gives me the boak - make being a student in Glasgow a bit of a challenge. Still remember the shock when the chippie wench in Glasgow asked me if I wanted "salt and vinegar" on my chips!!

Chips and gravy sounds even worse. I've got mates at work who lather mayonnaise on chips as well :confused:

Chippy sauce and salt, or just salt, or - at a push - Heinz Tomato Ketchup. That's yer lot.

You're one of these folk who dismiss things that you haven't even tried then! Mate if you can eat Chips drowned in that ****** sauce you can stomach gravy on your chips no problem.:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-01-2012, 11:55 PM
On a similar topic, all kebab shops should be forced to use the same chilli sauce as The Topkapi!

Pretty Boy
06-01-2012, 09:33 AM
On a similar topic, all kebab shops should be forced to use the same chilli sauce as The Topkapi!

This is a cause we should all be able to unite behind.

easty
06-01-2012, 11:15 AM

I had a kebab through in Dunfermline, at a place just round from PJ Molloys, that was a bloody brilliant kebab!

easty
06-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Right back at yer with a country that deep fries mars bars, pizza's, pies WTF! and will put batter on just about everthing they serve..........your opinion counts for **** all :greengrin

Nowt wrong with gravy lad..................Northern Lads love gravy, and while we're on the subject: Supper/Single WTF, I was right confused many years ago during my early days when asked if I wanted a supper at lunchtime, nah too early mate was my reply. :na na:

"Do you want scraps with that love?"

That was what I was asked in the chippy the first time I ventured in during my 3 year stay in Leeds. Scraps. By definition, trade waste. Nah you're alright "love".

I've never been offered that up here. Not in civilised Edinburgh. They'd get lost in the sauce anyway.:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
06-01-2012, 10:23 PM

That was what I was asked in the chippy the first time I ventured in during my 3 year stay in Leeds. Scraps. By definition, trade waste. Nah you're alright "love".

I've never been offered that up here. Not in civilised Edinburgh. They'd get lost in the sauce anyway.:greengrin

:confused: A new one on me, never heard of it.................strange chippys in Leeds right enough :greengrin

LancashireHibby
09-01-2012, 01:07 PM
:confused: A new one on me, never heard of it.................strange chippys in Leeds right enough :greengrin

Pretty common round here as well, surprised you've not that one. Basically the bits of batter that falls off the fish etc.

And I'm outraged that anyone can think chips and gravy is anything but the food of the gods?!

Hibee87
09-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Scrapps are amazing, my birds family are form hull so was down there last year man are the chippies good and cheap. scraps are just the crispy bits of batter that fall off everythign they are the shizz. also a fish supper cost 2.30 i was im used to getting near nae hcange form a tenner for a fish supper, 2 pickles and a bottle o juice up here.

not a huge fan o chippy sauce despite being from edinburgh, can eat it but normally choose just salt or salt an vinegar. gravy on chips is also tidy especially form a wee place is berwick (forget the name) also which does the best mushy peas ever!! mayo on chippy chips is just wrong unless they are manekken pis from the dam :wink:

best sauce in a chippy is the salad dressing, hamburger roll with salad dressing sauce best munch youll have .................... im going to the chippy for tea now after al lthis talk :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Pretty common round here as well, surprised you've not that one. Basically the bits of batter that falls off the fish etc.

And I'm outraged that anyone can think chips and gravy is anything but the food of the gods?!

Hehe I googled it and found a surprising amount of info including other names for scraps. You live and learn eh..........................chippy sauce is still pish though :greengrin

HibeeEmma
10-01-2012, 02:14 PM

never had a chippy your neck of the woods (where i live too). Couldnt hack it without the chippy sauce...

Mixu62
16-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Hehe I googled it and found a surprising amount of info including other names for scraps. You live and learn eh..........................chippy sauce is still pish though :greengrin

Two words mate......mushy peas. Bleurgh!!!!:jamboak:

Scouse Hibee
16-01-2012, 09:39 AM

Sausage, Chips, Mushy Peas & Gravy all in the same tray.........bloody lovely.

For those visiting just ask for a Sausage Dinner.

Hibbylad86
16-01-2012, 12:03 PM

This actually had me bursting out with laughter. Our Cousins down south just dont understand the concept of a Chippy let alone Chippy Sauce. A takeaway down there (Sausage, chips, mushy peas and gravy) is something your gran would give you for your tea on a Sunday.

Scouse Hibee
16-01-2012, 12:14 PM
This actually had me bursting out with laughter. Our Cousins down south just dont understand the concept of a Chippy let alone Chippy Sauce. A takeaway down there (Sausage, chips, mushy peas and gravy) is something your gran would give you for your tea on a Sunday.

Really? Where does your gran live then and does she do this every Sunday cos I can't find a decent chippy up here to do it! :-)

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-01-2012, 12:50 PM

Couldnae agree more, very unpleasant foodstuff!

LancashireHibby
16-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Sausage, Chips, Mushy Peas & Gravy all in the same tray.........bloody lovely.
Bang on!

Meat & potato pies, chips, mushy peas and gravy. Can't imagine having anything other than mushy peas with fish & chips either.

DanHFC1875
16-01-2012, 03:43 PM
A Hairy Pie and Brown Sauce is what you are after... translation: deep fried scotch pie on a buttered roll with brown sauce... swap the pie for pakora if you are feeling spicy lol:na na:

DanHFC1875
16-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Bang on!

Meat & potato pies, chips, mushy peas and gravy. Can't imagine having anything other than mushy peas with fish & chips either.

those ***** english pies with short crust pastry too?>>>> wtf!!! na mate ha

Scouse Hibee
16-01-2012, 04:07 PM

Says he who likes a DEEP FRIED pie WTF!!!

Mixu62
16-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Friends over here in NZ were p1$shing themselves laughing when I told them about the pie roll.

For the uninitiated, that's a pie ......wait for it .......on a roll. Genius!

LancashireHibby
17-01-2012, 12:57 PM

A lot easier to make a butty out of though. Goes better with the peas and gravy as well. I prefer beans with Scotch pies (Morrison's down here have just starting selling them so I've got a pack of them in the freezer at home).

HH81
18-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Right guys from a chippy you get:-

Fish, Chips, mushy peas t cake and maybe gravy and bits.......

and a can of pop to wash it down with.

:agree:

LancashireHibby
19-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Right guys from a chippy you get:-

Fish, Chips, mushy peas t cake and maybe gravy and bits.......

and a can of pop to wash it down with.

:agree:

A tea cake? It's a barm cake you daft Yorkshire git! :na na:

easty
19-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Friends over here in NZ were p1$shing themselves laughing when I told them about the pie roll.

For the uninitiated, that's a pie ......wait for it .......on a roll. Genius!

You cannae beat a pie on a roll!

Scouse Hibee
19-01-2012, 06:10 PM

:agree: :greengrin Ah........... the old barm cake/roll/bap/muffin debate. Chip barms are great.

HH81
19-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Chip butty more like! :-)

HH81
19-01-2012, 06:35 PM

Oi, we both know chippies are better in Yorkshire!

Barm cakes...........nonsense!

Scouse Hibee
19-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Chip butty more like! :-)

Butty with sliced bread but always a barm from the chippy :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
19-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Oi, we both know chippies are better in Yorkshire!

Barm cakes...........nonsense!

A toasted tea cake for an old grannies afternoon tea stop when out shopping :greengrin

HH81
19-01-2012, 08:05 PM
You Lancashire lads just dont have a clue :wink::greengrin

HH81
19-01-2012, 08:08 PM
barm cakes...........

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Barm_cake_with_black_pudding.jpg

what the hell is the white powder stuff on the top of it? plain t cake fresh from chippy is way forward. :agree:

This is what were talking about

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/456073/456073,1295710601,11/stock-photo-traditional-english-chip-butty-isolated-on-white-69504106.jpg

nonshinyfinish
19-01-2012, 08:35 PM
barm cakes...........

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/Barm_cake_with_black_pudding.jpg

what the hell is the white powder stuff on the top of it? plain t cake fresh from chippy is way forward. :agree:

This is what were talking about

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/456073/456073,1295710601,11/stock-photo-traditional-english-chip-butty-isolated-on-white-69504106.jpg

Those are both rolls. The top one has flour on it.

Scouse Hibee
19-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Those are both rolls. The top one has flour on it.

A barmcake a roll................how dare you!!!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Surely the only t cake worth discussing is the Tunnocks variety!

Sean1875
19-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Remember my first experience of a Chippy outside of Edinburgh at the age of 12 when i asked for salt and sauce on my chips and was shocked and appalled when i found my chips were drenched in salt and vinegar. Chippy sauce just cant be beat :drool:

Mixu62
20-01-2012, 03:49 AM

Agreed, and don't get me started on their snowballs!

HH81
20-01-2012, 07:57 AM

Now they are very good, tunnock caramel wafer ones are class too.....:agree:

http://www.tunnock.co.uk/teacake.html

http://www.tunnock.co.uk/caramelwafer.html

Dark Choc ones are average though.

Hibee87
20-01-2012, 09:21 AM

Agreed,

But steak pie on a roll with cheese tops the lot :agree:

LancashireHibby
20-01-2012, 10:06 AM

A pie barm.....the Wigan kebab!

easty
20-01-2012, 10:33 AM
At the Blackburn friendly a couple of years ago I had a load of bother asking for a chip roll at the chippie over from the ground. I eventually got to the point where I had to just point at them. You'd have thought I was speaking another language.

LancashireHibby
20-01-2012, 11:04 AM
At the Blackburn friendly a couple of years ago I had a load of bother asking for a chip roll at the chippie over from the ground. I eventually got to the point where I had to just point at them. You'd have thought I was speaking another language.

Might not just be you....I went in the same chippy a few weeks ago before the Bolton game away to Blackburn and my mate asked for gravy and ended up with curry.