PDA

View Full Version : Things to do with the family in Edinburgh/Fife.

Hibrandenburg
26-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Over in Fife with the Mrs and wee one (2 and a half) and would appreciate a few tips on what to get up to?
Hibs game, zoo and a visit to the enchanted forest are planned but would like to have some more options.

Thanks

RoslinInstHibby
26-10-2011, 12:36 PM
camera obscura:agree:

Jack
26-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Museum of childhood, Royal Mile, were I was once an exhibit :agree:

The big museum on Chambers Street has recently reopened – not heard any bad reports about it, not heard any child related reports to suggest best ages.

Both warm and dry and free.

green leaves
28-10-2011, 04:25 AM
take them to burntisland for a paddle

Casey1875
28-10-2011, 05:38 AM
I'd give burntisland a miss, its now radioactive! Could try the steam railway at boness, but double check opening times.

Craig_HFC
28-10-2011, 06:18 AM
I'd give burntisland a miss, its now radioactive! Could try the steam railway at boness, but double check opening times.

But he might become a superhero!
:greengrin

Pretty Boy
28-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Edinburgh Dungeons.

Not cheap but a cracking day out and the adults usually end up more scared than the kids.

Sylar
28-10-2011, 10:37 AM
If you get a nice day, St Andrews is a good visit on a Sunday. You can play the Himalayas, walk around the town, wander along the beach or even walk the Old Course.

The Clubhouse does nice meals and there are usually plenty of things going on across the town on weekends, including stuff for kids at the Byre Theatre.

One Day Soon
28-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Seaworld at North Queensferry is good for the kids, Fife coast is nice along Anstruther way for beach walks, even a walk across the Forth Road Bridge itself can be different and bracing.

You could try Hopetoun House at South Queensferry (cracking stately home), Edinburgh Castle is always missed by locals but actually has great views and plenty to look at inside. The inside of the Scottish Parliament isn't the worst place in the world to see and you can go over the road to Holyrood Palace for older stuff. Walk up to the top of Arthur's seat and you have pretty much the best all round panoramic view of Edinburgh and beyond that you can find.

Check on the web to see if its a farmer's market saturday at castle terrace in the morning too.

CallumLaidlaw
28-10-2011, 08:11 PM
My sister in law took my son to the museum on chambers street last week and he loved it. He's 6.

essexhibee
29-10-2011, 06:30 PM
The children's museum is a great shout very interesting place to visit.