PDA

View Full Version : New TV's

bingo70
09-10-2011, 02:56 PM
On the hunt to get a new tv so looking for some advice.....

Not got a big budget so the biggest TV i think i'll be able to get is about 32 inch and to be honest i'm not overly arsed about getting one of these home cinema systems, i'm just looking for a run of the mill average tele but not really sure where is best to go? was considering even going to somewhere like crack converters, anyone know if you still get a warranty with them?

I'm also pretty useless with technology so i'd normally just go for the cheapest but is there something i should be looking out for? Other than size what do the more expensive ones do that the cheaper ones don't? Already got a freeview box but i'm guessing all new tele's come with that built in?

cheers

Barney McGrew
09-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I got recommended to go to Richer Sounds on Chambers Street on here a few years back when I needed a new one. Superb shout, they sorted me out with a good telly at a very good price. Main things if you're watching sport is to get a decent rate of Hz for the picture, basically it refreshes the image more times so it can deal with fast moving things better. Get a 1080p one too if you don't want things cut off at the side of the screen.

Is yer Mrs not impressed by your current model? :greengrin

bingo70
09-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I got recommended to go to Richer Sounds on Chambers Street on here a few years back when I needed a new one. Superb shout, they sorted me out with a good telly at a very good price. Main things if you're watching sport is to get a decent rate of Hz for the picture, basically it refreshes the image more times so it can deal with fast moving things better. Get a 1080p one too if you don't want things cut off at the side of the screen.

Is yer Mrs not impressed by your current model? :greengrin

Just noticed the 32 inchers i was looking at (get yer mind out the gutter) aren't 1080p, don't really know what you mean missing bits at the side, if i'm watching football for example will i miss whats on the side of the screen or is it condensed in and i'll have black bars going up the side?

Would i be better looking for a smaller screen that is 1080p and within budget of a couple of hundred quid or am i just not going to get that on my budget?

Barney McGrew
09-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Just noticed the 32 inchers i was looking at (get yer mind out the gutter) aren't 1080p, don't really know what you mean missing bits at the side, if i'm watching football for example will i miss whats on the side of the screen or is it condensed in and i'll have black bars going up the side?

Would i be better looking for a smaller screen that is 1080p and within budget of a couple of hundred quid or am i just not going to get that on my budget?

It cuts off the side bars on Sky Sports News as an example. You don't get black bars, you just miss part of the picture.

All depends on your budget, Richer are good because they buy up stocks just before the companies launch your new range, so you get something that came out about six months ago at a reduced price. More bang for your buck as they say :greengrin

bingo70
09-10-2011, 05:37 PM
It cuts off the side bars on Sky Sports News as an example. You don't get black bars, you just miss part of the picture.

All depends on your budget, Richer are good because they buy up stocks just before the companies launch your new range, so you get something that came out about six months ago at a reduced price. More bang for your buck as they say :greengrin

Will they negotiate on prices as i do have a bit flexibility but not really wanting to spend too much more?

(can tell i'm just back from marrakesh and think i'm a billy big baws negotiator now eh :greengrin )

Barney McGrew
10-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Will they negotiate on prices as i do have a bit flexibility but not really wanting to spend too much more?

(can tell i'm just back from marrakesh and think i'm a billy big baws negotiator now eh :greengrin )

There's only one way to find out.......:greengrin

vein
15-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Try ebuyer.com mate, I got a 32 inch Samsung for a decent price a few years ago and its still working fine.

superfurryhibby
18-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Not that au fait with telly's but what I have noticed is that the standard sound quality is pretty pesh from flat screens. Mine goes through the hi-fi, other wise it would sound tinny.

Speedy
18-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Not that au fait with telly's but what I have noticed is that the standard sound quality is pretty pesh from flat screens. Mine goes through the hi-fi, other wise it would sound tinny.

I think that's pretty standard. They seem to assume most people have other speakers linked to it

jonty
18-10-2011, 01:12 PM
John Lewis usually give a 5 year warranty.
I got a couple of 42" plasmas from amazon (for work) for £350 each. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004WN8UAI)

On my scans, found a website which did recondition/damaged box/missing stands.
50" plasma was 380.

Problem was, you needed to collect :boo hoo:

http://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/

DH1875
22-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Always find that Best Buy have some good deals. Haven't had a look but you should as they are normally quite cheap :thumbsup:.