PDA

View Full Version : Films to Avoid Thread

hibsbollah
26-09-2011, 11:08 AM
We're making the most of our LoveFilm membership at the moment...watched Killing Bono last night. Partly on the strength of the Clement/ La Frenais writing credits, partly for the title. Unfortunately, couldnt even bear watching more than three quarters of it. Formulaic, cliched drivel with rubbish acting, and worst of all; no-one really kills Bono in it.

Any others?

.Sean.
26-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Apollo 18 is garbage.

Allant1981
26-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Burke and hair is on sky just now and its pretty dire

HibbyAndy
26-09-2011, 09:00 PM

I thought it was quite good masel..No normally one for the comedy films but this was half decent imo.

BroxburnHibee
26-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Last film I watched that made me feel truly awful was the last Robin Hood with Russell Crowe.

Edit - no that was the second last. :greengrin

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 - trust me - don't watch it.

Twa Cairpets
26-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Lost in Translation. Just the worst film ever made in my opinion - unbelievable Bill Murray was in it.

The_Exile
26-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Robin Hood with Russell Crowe

Not usually a fan of reboots but thought this was pretty good. I've got a Lovefilm account too and have had a few real bad ones as follows:

The Social Network: 2/10
Knight and Day: 3/10 (unusual as I like Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz could be on my screen talking abaout hearts 1986 league winning season and I'd watch her)
127 hours: 3/10 (got bored quickly with this one, even when he started hacking off his arm I was yawning)
Black Swan: 1/10, the missus thought it was good but I gave up after half an hour and stuck pins in my eyes to stop me having to watch any more

One I thought would be rubbish but I thought was brilliant was "The Expendables" 10/10! Sly, Arnie, Ivan Drago, Mickey Rourke, Jet Li, Jason Statham, talk about an action film!

The_Exile
26-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Lost in Translation. Just the worst film ever made in my opinion - unbelievable Bill Murray was in it.

Bill Murray's problem is that you can't follow up Groundhog Day with anything better :greengrin

hibsbollah
26-09-2011, 09:34 PM

Agree 100%. Turned it off. I thought andy serkis could do no wrong too.

Sodje_18
27-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Not usually a fan of reboots but thought this was pretty good. I've got a Lovefilm account too and have had a few real bad ones as follows:

Knight and Day: 3/10 (unusual as I like Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz could be on my screen talking abaout hearts 1986 league winning season and I'd watch her)
127 hours: 3/10 (got bored quickly with this one, even when he started hacking off his arm I was yawning)
Black Swan: 1/10, the missus thought it was good but I gave up after half an hour and stuck pins in my eyes to stop me having to watch any more

One I thought would be rubbish but I thought was brilliant was "The Expendables" 10/10! Sly, Arnie, Ivan Drago, Mickey Rourke, Jet Li, Jason Statham, talk about an action film!
There's a second one coming out and Sly wants an even better cast. Bruce Willis and Arnie in bigger roles and Chuck Norris making a cameo appearance. Can't remember the whole list but the only other action actor I could think of who wont be in it is Jackie Chan :thumbsup:

Haymaker
27-09-2011, 04:14 PM
There's a second one coming out and Sly wants an even better cast. Bruce Willis and Arnie in bigger roles and Chuck Norris making a cameo appearance. Can't remember the whole list but the only other action actor I could think of who wont be in it is Jackie Chan :thumbsup:

Van Damme is in it too!

The new Pirates film must be avoided at all costs much like number 2 & 3.

wearethehibs
27-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Watchmen is the worst film I have ever seen. Avoid it at all costs.

Haymaker
27-09-2011, 04:28 PM

Defo read the book instead!

Sylar
27-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Just to add some balance, Watchmen is one of my very favourite films and a fantastic adaptation from its graphic novel foundation.

In respect to "films to avoid":

Cyrus (worst film I've ever tried to watch and the only film I've ever walked out of a cinema mid-way through), The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Tree of Life (I do actually like Brad Pitt, but these are 2 truly awful films), Conan: The Barbarian (2011), 2012 and Sucker Punch are ones to miss for me.

Steve-O
28-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Some very silly suggestions on this thread already. I'd suggest making your own mind up about 90% of those mentioned already...

wearethehibs
28-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Some very silly suggestions on this thread already. I'd suggest making your own mind up about 90% of those mentioned already... What did you think everyone would have the same taste in films as you?

Steve-O
28-09-2011, 08:04 AM
What did you think everyone would have the same taste in films as you?

'Films to avoid' as the title is slightly different from 'Films I dont like'...

I'd have thought films to avoid would be those that are almost universally hated, not good films like Lost in Translation, Robin Hood, The Social Network, 127 Hours etc...

easty
28-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Just to add some balance, Watchmen is one of my very favourite films and a fantastic adaptation from its graphic novel foundation.

In respect to "films to avoid":

Cyrus (worst film I've ever tried to watch and the only film I've ever walked out of a cinema mid-way through), The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Tree of Life (I do actually like Brad Pitt, but these are 2 truly awful films), Conan: The Barbarian (2011), 2012 and Sucker Punch are ones to miss for me.

I like Watchmen as well (Malin Akerman is amazing).

To avoid, I'd suggest Intolerable Cruelty. Can't really think of any other film I've seen that's been so bad.

SRHibs
28-09-2011, 04:07 PM

The Social Network is a superb film. Fine, it might not be the most exciting film on the planet, but it's a pretty intriguing dramatisation of the genesis of Facebook, with almost immaculate acting.

127 hours is a good film too, as is Black Swan. Can't say anything about Knight and Day as I am yet to see it. What exactly did you find so bad about each of them, if you don't mind me asking?

I thought the same on first viewing, but watched it again and it did go up in my estimations. It's still massively overrated in my opinion. The casual racism gets boring very quickly, and the lack of dialogue/incredible amount of staring into space don't do much to invoke the feelings they're intended to.

As for the Tree of Life, well, again, I actually enjoyed it. Although for me, the whole experience of watching it was essentially ruined by those who felt the need to chatter throughout the entire thing, and by the 30+ people who walked out - clearly after not doing enough research into the film they were about to see. The film itself is stunning, and enjoyable even on a superficial level IMO. Obviously the lack of coherent plot is enough to put the majority of people off though.